As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] Now with even GIANTEST robots

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No sympathy for hordes. Animi are awesome.
    Looking forward to that eHaley post. She has the best paint job of all my models, so I'd like to put her on the table more.
    SJ wrote: »
    Honestly, I get really frustrated with Cygnar spell lists some times. There's really no excuse for 'filler' like Arcane Bolt/Blast to even be on our casters the vast majority of the time, and it's a missed opportunity not just for fun interactions but for designing good spells that are unique to the faction and the casters. Sloan's a good example: half of her spell list isn't just filler, it's straight up spells that you won't ever, ever be willing to spend the focus on with her. Not having a good spell list forces you to concentrate her efforts on obvious things like taking out solos/officers/support/banging up jacks and stuff (and I'm not trying to downplay how good she is at that, because she's amazing at it) but she could be useful for so much more and have a much more varied and interesting playstyle if they hadn't shat three terrible spells out onto her card.

I agree. Something to promote more dynamic play would be nice. Our middling focus totals combined with our awesome ranged jacks are a problem though. How could we get cool enough spells with low enough focus costs to acually use them. eHaley has this problem - she has some really sweet signature spells, but even her massive focus score can barely sustain them. If you run ranged jacks, they want a couple of points every turn as well.

kaorti on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    And not just want, really, but need: the way shooting sits in the game right now the vast majority of guns won't get to shoot enough times to be worth taking (if you're not giving them focus) before they're engaged so they have to be boosting to hit and/or damage every turn to make them worth your while. The Defender kind of gets around that since he's still got a pow 16 in melee but still.

SJ on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    The whole thing with managing focus for jacks, armor, and spells is nifty and all, but it sucks that 90% of the time you're giving minimal focus to jacks and sitting on the rest.

This is why I like running Rahn+Hydras or Harbs+Avatar, just cast crazy shit all day and give no fucks.

• Options
    I'd love to be able to do that too, so that's why I started Cryx!

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    You could always get something like pFeora's spell list; six really sweet spells but you'll only ever use the two boring ones.

I don't know what you're talking about. The only poor thing about pFeora's spell list is that she only has 6 focus. The only one I don't use really is Immolate, and possibly Hex Hammer unless I'm facing Druids or something similar. Blazing Effigy is expensive but awesome and pretty darn useful, especially getting rid of high-def models like Kayazy. Wall of Fire makes it tricky to charge my squishy units. Engine of Destruction ends games, and Ignite is boring but useful.

• Options
    And even then, the point still stands that aside from perhaps Immolate, all of her spells have legitimate applications (and even immolate can be situationally useful for her), even if you don't see those in every game. There's no reason for someone like Sloan to have Arcane Bolt, Arcane Blast, and Dust to Dust. ugh.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would probably grab the battle box for a journeyman league. Alternatively, I would just grab eHayley and pNemo and build some jack heavy lists.

• Options
    You could always get something like pFeora's spell list; six really sweet spells but you'll only ever use the two boring ones.

I don't know what you're talking about. The only poor thing about pFeora's spell list is that she only has 6 focus. The only one I don't use really is Immolate, and possibly Hex Hammer unless I'm facing Druids or something similar. Blazing Effigy is expensive but awesome and pretty darn useful, especially getting rid of high-def models like Kayazy. Wall of Fire makes it tricky to charge my squishy units. Engine of Destruction ends games, and Ignite is boring but useful.

EoD is a straight stat boost, boring. Ignite is boring. Wall of Fire is pretty neat. Blazing Effigy, Hex Hammer and Immolate are "Why am I close enough to cast these and not dead/charging?" spells.

Blazing Effigy would be sweet if it had 10-12" range. As is, you're better off just using your flamethrowers or feeding three focus to your jack.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I would probably grab the battle box for a journeyman league. Alternatively, I would just grab eHayley and pNemo and build some jack heavy lists.

If you're thinking jack heavy, I recommend eNemo. He does multiple jacks in a much better way. Compare Locomotion to Energizer. pNemo is more of a spellcaster with jack support on the side.

Or you could wait for the next book and see what 3Nemo looks like. I already know that I'm buying him.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I couldn't be more psyched for Nemo3. Nemo is one of my favorite characters and I wish his current incarnations were a bit better.

Also yeah pNemo doesn't do 'jack heavy. The most he'll ever want to run is 2 heavies and an arc node. Kraye and eNemo are our serious 'jack casters.

SJ on
  • Options

EoD is a straight stat boost, boring. Ignite is boring. Wall of Fire is pretty neat. Blazing Effigy, Hex Hammer and Immolate are "Why am I close enough to cast these and not dead/charging?" spells.

Blazing Effigy would be sweet if it had 10-12" range. As is, you're better off just using your flamethrowers or feeding three focus to your jack.

As you have a hierophant (you do take a hierophant with her, right?), Blazing Effigy is 10" range, effectively. And if the enemy is swarming your jacks with mechanithralls or TFG or Kayazy or whatever (or once, hilariously, stormguard under eStryker's feat), and your jacks are in front of Feora as they probably ought to be, then yes, it's useful. I'm not saying she doesn't have good ways of getting rid of infantry, but Blazing Effigy is pretty great.

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm not saying she doesn't have good ways of getting rid of infantry, but Blazing Effigy is pretty great.
    pFeora doesn't have good ways of getting rid of infantry.

Yeah, I said it.

TheConstantWay on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honestly, I just love pNemo's model. Mind you, this is all month's off. I refuse to buy a new army until my current one is painted and based. Currently, 40/120 points painted.

• Options
    TCW, that's gonna need some explanation. Anti-infantry is kind of her MO. I suppose you could argue that fire is unreliable, and her control area is so small popping her feat puts her in danger, but in as much as she's an up-close-and-personal caster, this is par for the course. Her feat, her flamethrowers, Blazing Effigy, and Wall of Fire are all pretty much anti-infantry, and pretty decent at it.

• Options
    I think I just made the best pFeora list.

Feora, Priestess of the Flame (*6pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    * Vigilant (4pts)
    The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)

Encase Feora in a circle or semicircle of Vigilants, march down the map until you get in range of the enemy caster and pop your feat. If he doesn't die by the time the fire goes out, hit him with flamethrowers (position the Vigilants so they get shield bonuses). Use Wall of Fire and Blazing Effigy to deal with infantry, and open up a pathway for Feora to charge heavies that block your path. Vigilants can 2h-throw lights.

The only direct counters I can think of are Karchev lists and Harrower spam.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Vigilant isn't immune to knockdown...

• Options
    I'm sure he could stand to lose one Vigilant for the book and a Hierophant. Problem solved.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    The Vigilant isn't immune to knockdown...

Ah, that's right. I was thinking Girded was the same as the Mariner's anti-knockdown.

Right now I'm just thinking of a Vigilant chucking another Vigilant into a mob of infantry, and then casting Blazing Effigy.

HOLY HAND GRENADES ARE BACK

• Options
    edited March 2012
    kaorti wrote: »
    How could we get cool enough spells with low enough focus costs to acually use them. eHaley has this problem - she has some really sweet signature spells, but even her massive focus score can barely sustain them.

This is the core of my argument: eHaley's spell list is a trap. Every time you come up with an elaborate plan to use Time Bomb, Domination, or spammed TKs, wrap your hand around a Nyss Hunter and squeeze. The pain and broken Nyss Hunter will remind you not to do that again.

eHaley's spell list in review:

Deadeye: in most games you should be casting this at least once every turn. Presumably you have a ranged unit, and presumably your opponent has a unit with low-ish ARM and good-ish DEF. If you need sixes to hit you should still be casting Deadeye. If you have two major ranged units, consider casting it twice.

Deceleration: a great spell to cast while advancing or to spam in certain match ups. Big ranged lists like Siege or eLylyth (without a Naga) will hate this spell.

Telekinesis: has a primary use and a secondary use. The primary use is to increase the threat range of your bullet or guns. The secondary use is literally everything else, which includes getting your models out of melee, disrupting enemy targets, reducing enemy DEF, and so on. The secondary use is great utility, but you should be thinking very hard about whether or not it's worth the focus; are you better off spending three to spin an Angelius around, or should you just give the Defender one to boost and Deadeye your ranged unit? The latter may have a better payoff when the Angelius explodes and your ATGM are left with nothing but high-DEF solos to shoot.

Temporal Acceleration: two uses. (a) Make your bonded bullet a five attack killing machine with 12"+ range, (b) Give your Defender (or Avenger) a second shot.

So with that in mind, Haley has eight or nine focus a turn: how do you spend it in a regular list?

The advance: Deceleration (3), TA the Defender (3), two for damage boosts (8).

The main engagement: TA the Defender (3), two for damage boosts (5), Deadeye (7), TK/Deadeye, or attack boosts for the Defender (8-9).

The bullet: allocate to bonded 'jack (4), TA (7), TK/Deadeye (9).

That's solid damage every turn. Two boosted POW15s will put a lot of hurt into most targets and your Deadeye'd unit is going to kill most of its targets. Compare that to the utility you're getting out of dropping a Time Bomb or hitting their 'jacks with TK -- how much is that -2" of threat and no charges really costing them? Is it saving models that had to be in their range, or models that were in their range because you burned 4-6 focus disrupting their advance and felt obligated to take advantage of it?

Note that this plan renders the Lancer effectively useless, which gives you six extra points to spend on wonderful killy-shit. I have a general list-building policy of spending less than 20% of my points on support, which taking a Lancer completely fucks.

This is the list the above strategy is based on:
    eHaley
    - Stormclad (bond)
    - Defender
    - Squire
    Trencher Commandos
    - Trencher Commando Scattergunner * 3
    Rangers
    Aiyana and Holt
    Stormsmith

The Commandos get Deadeye every turn. The Defender rarely needs focus for attack boosts because it's shooting at RAT10 with the Rangers. The Commandos could be swapped out for Nyss or ATGM or whatever -- I like Commandos because an aggressive run with AD/Stealth, 15/15 models is wonderful in scenario play. I also build lists for character restrictions, so Nyss are unavailable.

However, this is the list I want to be playing:
    eHaley
    - Avenger (bond)
    - Minuteman
    - Minuteman
    - Squire
    Trencher Commandos
    - Trencher Commando Scattergunner * 3
    Rangers
    Aiyana and Holt
    Stormsmith

The Avenger is a 13.5" bullet with eHaley; not as good at the Stormclad, but enough for any realistic scenario. The AoE knockdown with the potential of 4D6 at RAT6 will hit basically anything.

The main focus plan for this list: Deadeye (2), boost attack and damage for the Avenger (2), focus for the Minutemen (4-5).

The Minutemen fucking love running around with 2-3 focus. Advance 6", leap 5", pop flak, then drop two RAT8 POW14 shots into whatever is still alive. Boost attack for high-DEF targets, boost damage for high ARM. You can kill Tartarus, cripple arc nodes, take chunks out of heavies, and even ruin infantry swarms from over 11" away.

tl;dr: eHaley's eight focus and huge spell list is great, but it's a trap. Focus on the spells and boosts that take models off the table and you'll see your games go from slow grindfests where you run out of models, to victories.

admanb on
  • Options
    Minutemen are too manly for Cygnar, I'd say they should come to Menoth instead, but I can never justify running a light that isn't a Revenger or Repenter to myself.

• Options
    AbesolutZEROAbesolutZERO HERESY! WHERE!? Registered User regular
    If the Minuteman was a Protectorate warjack, it would've been given a pair of flamethrowers instead of Slug Guns.

Oh my.

• Options
    TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    TCW, that's gonna need some explanation. Anti-infantry is kind of her MO. I suppose you could argue that fire is unreliable, and her control area is so small popping her feat puts her in danger, but in as much as she's an up-close-and-personal caster, this is par for the course. Her feat, her flamethrowers, Blazing Effigy, and Wall of Fire are all pretty much anti-infantry, and pretty decent at it.
    Your "I'm not saying she doesn't have good ways of getting rid of infantry" statement implies that someone could have possibly interpreted something you said about pFeora as "She doesn't have good ways of getting rid of infantry." Which, as your Absurd Interwebs Claim Alarm going off in your head demonstrated when you saw me say the same thing, is, well, absurd. ;)

With one caveat: I hate relying on fire rolls that might go out.

TLDR: {sarcasm}{/sarcasm}

• Options
    Fair enough. :D My sarcasmometer must be broken today; everything is srs bzns!

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    For all you Cryx players out there, how many heavy jacks do you run?
    I've been running the Slayer and Arcnodes for a bit. Sometimes I'll throw in 2 Helldivers too.

I've ordered a Leviathan and a Harrower, Im getting ready to order more Heavies. I think the first will be a Seether and the Heavy Jack kit, for some Reaper action. I've been playing pDenny for the last 6 months, I finally put her away last week and am starting to use pAsphyxious. Any particular jacks besides the Cankerworm that go well with him?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Entirely depends on the list. Typically I run only one, but my Scaverous list is going to be using DJ and Malice.

For pGaspy I don't know if I'd run Cankerworm, but he's going to want one arc node and deathjack or 2 arc nodes (at 50, you can get away with one at 35). I always run the Seether with pGaspy, parasite + MAT 8 is ridiculously good, and it's typically the only heavy that he needs. The Leviathan is a 'jack that anyone can run as a second heavy though, since it really doesn't need any help.

• Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »
    For all you Cryx players out there, how many heavy jacks do you run?
    I've been running the Slayer and Arcnodes for a bit. Sometimes I'll throw in 2 Helldivers too.

I've ordered a Leviathan and a Harrower, Im getting ready to order more Heavies. I think the first will be a Seether and the Heavy Jack kit, for some Reaper action. I've been playing pDenny for the last 6 months, I finally put her away last week and am starting to use pAsphyxious. Any particular jacks besides the Cankerworm that go well with him?

It varies pretty wildly from list to list; with Terminus, I run a single Stalker, with the Witch Coven I run 2+ 'nodes and 2+ heavies (usually a Seether and a Slayer). The Seether is a wonderful heavy hitter that's extremely focus efficient, and the Reaper is a wonderful threat range increaser since it can pull in anything to the loving and waiting arms of your mechanithralls. I don't run pGaspy myself, but he'd likely get good mileage out of an Arcnode or two, and that +2 Damage Buff from Scything Touch is just screaming to get thrown on a Melee 'Jack like a Slayer or Seether (not to mention the -3 Armor from Parasite; combine the two and watch heavy 'Jacks evaporate in front of you), but be careful about focus efficiency. Either run a Seether or other efficient 'Jack with him, or bring along some Warwitch Sirens to power boost for fun and profit.

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    You can have 2 WWS give focus to the same jack?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No. Power booster will only put focus onto a 'jack if it doesn't already have any.

• Options
    You can have 2 WWS give focus to the same jack?
    SJ wrote: »
    No. Power booster will only put focus onto a 'jack if it doesn't already have any.
    ^^Correct. However, if you've got an Arc Node that all it's gonna be doing is running around into position, or a Slayer that needs to charge and land its Combo Hit, then 1 Focus is all you need on the 'Jack and the focus saved on your Caster could be the difference between a bad turn and a win.

• Options
    And SPD 7 + 5" range on powerbooster means that you don't have to keep the witches in your back lines not doing anything until they need to use PB.

• Options
    Son of MakutaSon of Makuta Registered User regular
    Telekinesis: has a primary use and a secondary use. The primary use is to increase the threat range of your bullet or guns. The secondary use is literally everything else, which includes getting your models out of melee, disrupting enemy targets, reducing enemy DEF, and so on. The secondary use is great utility, but you should be thinking very hard about whether or not it's worth the focus; are you better off spending three to spin an Angelius around, or should you just give the Defender one to boost and Deadeye your ranged unit? The latter may have a better payoff when the Angelius explodes and your ATGM are left with nothing but high-DEF solos to shoot.

But but but Telekinesis! Especially Telekinesis in an army full of guns. Walk your Lancer up to within range of whatever's screening the enemy warcaster, TK it out of the way, open fire - dead warcaster. If you don't have an Avenger, or if it misses, there's your assassination vector right there. (Yes, I'm a Cryx player, why do you ask?) I fought Scaverous once, who has the same ability, and that one spell (coupled with a well-used Gorman diWulfe) ensured my opponent destroyed me, including pulling a Seether out of a defensive formation I'd deliberately set up to avoid it getting dragged into melee with Malice (from where it not only got Malice'd, but walked into the Withershadow Combine and promptly switched sides). Telekinesis is SUCH a good spell.

• Options

But but but Telekinesis! Especially Telekinesis in an army full of guns. Walk your Lancer up to within range of whatever's screening the enemy warcaster, TK it out of the way, open fire - dead warcaster. If you don't have an Avenger, or if it misses, there's your assassination vector right there. (Yes, I'm a Cryx player, why do you ask?) I fought Scaverous once, who has the same ability, and that one spell (coupled with a well-used Gorman diWulfe) ensured my opponent destroyed me, including pulling a Seether out of a defensive formation I'd deliberately set up to avoid it getting dragged into melee with Malice (from where it not only got Malice'd, but walked into the Withershadow Combine and promptly switched sides). Telekinesis is SUCH a good spell.

By no means am I saying Telekinesis is a bad spell. I am saying that if you have a lot of guns you can probably just shoot the screening model out of the way and then open fire on the warcaster. And if you hadn't taken that Lancer you have six extra points to spend on more guns. Scaverous is a very different beast, since he gets four point arc nodes and his feat benefits TK spam, whereas eHaley's feat renders it pointless.

• Options
    Also Deathjack.

• Options
    73063_FarilorandStandardWEB.jpg

• Options
    U MAD BRO?

• Options
    Looks sweet.

What do you folks use to create your lists and or track your collection?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    iBodger.

• Options
    Looks sweet.

What do you folks use to create your lists and or track your collection?

I lack fancy phones, so I use a combination of saved Excel spreadsheets and Forward Kommander.

• Options
    That's a pretty nice model actually.

I mostly use iBodger or Forward Kommander. I may use War Room when it comes out, but I think that'll mostly get use on pads and tablets of which I have none.

• Options
    Yeah, iBodger is good for that.