As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Playstation 2 Imports

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I had recently seen this video of a Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) game for the Playstation 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Q4UvxMV84

So of course I went ahead and searched for the game on Play-Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-49-en-15-dynamite%2Bdeka-70-16ss.html

The price seemed right in my eyes, but the only problem is I realized I have no way to play import Playstation 2 games. I'm sure you guys have dabbled a bit in import titles, so hopefully you have some experiences with the different methods. Which ones are the most efficient for the different Playstation 2 models (I own a Slim version)? Is there a cheap solution or will I have to pay a substantial amount?

Remember, I want methods to play import games only. While I'm sure some of the methods mentioned in this thread will allow for other usages, I could care less about that. I want experiences related to playing import games only. With that in mind, feel free to recommend additional titles of interest so people will have something to do with their new found overseas abilities.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well the easiest way is to use the HDD loader as you don't need to void your warranty or even open the PS2 at all. But that's obviously not an option. You can order some little plastic peices for your Slim that you put in various places that make your PS2 think it's lid is closed rather then open.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Swap Magic discs + flip-top case.

As an alternative to the flip-top, you could just open up your PStwo and tape down a couple of switches.

EDIT: The plastic bits the previous poster talks about are called "slimtool," I think. I bought these, but I just so happened to buy my PStwo *right* after they revised the insides, and a particular switch had been moved to a different location, rendering said plastic bits useless.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I recommend doing what I did and just buying an Asian PS2. No need to worry about breaking your system or dealing with illegal or semi-illegal methods.

And if you're interested in game recommendations, Siren 2 is an awesome survival horror game that was never released in the US (although an English version exists in Europe). Also, the Summon Night games for the PS2 are fantastic Strategy/RPGs.

RainbowDespair on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

As an alternative to the flip-top, you could just open up your PStwo and tape down a couple of switches.
    How much would those cost? Every site I've gone to seems to want 50 dollars or more for those kind of materials.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited February 2007
    Yea, the flip tops are a better alternative. I forgot they made ones for the slim line as well. I had one for my Fat and I loved it.

How much would those cost? Every site I've gone to seems to want 50 dollars or more for those kind of materials.
    Not surprising. I got my flip top for probably twenty bucks and then got the two boot discs for probably the same amount.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rainbow Despair: When you say Asian PS2 do you mean to say there's an Asian region release of the hardware that has no region lockout?

If you get this going, SNK put out ports of many of their classic fighting games that will never make it here. There's a Fatal Fury compilation, Art of Fighting, Last Blade, etc. Many great 2D fighters got ported to the PS2 but never made it here.

Also definitely consider Shinobido (Way of the Ninja). A very robust game from the makers of Way of the Samurai. Various missions to take for different people, it even comes with a potent level creation kit if you have a hard drive.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    If you get this going, SNK put out ports of many of their classic fighting games that will never make it here. There's a Fatal Fury compilation, Art of Fighting, Last Blade, etc. Many great 2D fighters got ported to the PS2 but never made it here.
    Wow, those sound really awesome. Makes these import methods seem less expensive.

Does anyone know about that Rockman Power Fighters game? It's out of stock on Play-Asia, so a place to buy it would be cool as well.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Also definitely consider Shinobido (Way of the Ninja). A very robust game from the makers of Way of the Samurai. Various missions to take for different people, it even comes with a potent level creation kit if you have a hard drive.
    From what I understand, it came out in EU and never made it to the US. I have secret ninja fanboy videogamer rage about that.

Renzo on
  • Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Swap Magic and Magic Switch (small bits of plastic which are placed in the PS2 in specific places which allow you to start up discs with the flip top open, and it's built for PS2 slim only, don't worry).
    Renzo wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    From what I understand, it came out in EU and never made it to the US. I have secret ninja fanboy videogamer rage about that.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the right time to import it. Also, I was unaware the level creator required the HD, lame. Are you sure about that?

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    Rainbow Despair: When you say Asian PS2 do you mean to say there's an Asian region release of the hardware that has no region lockout?

Rasa, can you use just any old hard drive with the PS2(with some modification)? Or does that fall into the lines of being an evil little pirating bastard?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited February 2007
    It falls into the lines. It's very possible but we can't discuss it here. For many people though it will be the only viable option in the US since the Sony stopped manufacturing the hard drives here after a very short time.

The solutions tend to involve some USB trickery though. Keep in mind that the transfer rate over USB won't be fast enough to make some games viable with it anyway. Like with the RE Outbreaks as an example, the load times are so bad that you need to utilize the hard drive just to make them playable. A non-first party hard drive would be hell on it.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited February 2007
    For those of you looking for HDD's you cam find FF XI for very cheap on ebay. My local Wal-mart had them in a big clearance box for cheap to.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:

No, I just said Asian, because I know games often have Asian version and Japanese versions with the two versions being basically identical except that the Asian versions tend to be cheaper than the Japanese versions (due to Japan having a noticeably higher cost of living than every other country in the region) and the Asian versions generally come with a poster that explains controls in English & Chinese in addition to the regular Japanese or Chinese manual.

I purchased a PS2 while I was living in Taiwan and as far as I know, it's functionally identical to a Japanese PS2. I've played Asian versions of games and Japanese versions of games on the system without running into any problems.

And though it may be considered heresy around these parts, I've gotten more enjoyment out of my Asian PS2 than I have out of my DS. Summon Night 3, Siren 2 (Chinese version), Super Robot Wars MX, Sakura Taisen Remake (in Chinese so I understand it), Persona 3, Rogue Galaxy & FFXII months before they came out in the US, Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams a couple weeks before its US release (and the Asian version has an option for full English), Macross, Popolocrois II (not the awful port on the PSP), etc, etc.

RainbowDespair on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Really, the easiest way is a Magic Switch Pro V3 and a copy of Swap Magic.

You don't have to open your PS2, and while the installation is a little bit fiddly, it should only take ten minutes or so (that's all it took me). The new versions of Magic Switch Pro fit into a slim PS2 totally seamlessly.

It should cost you less than US$40 all up, and you won't have to open your PS2 at all.

More info is at:
    http://www.swapmagic3.com/Swap_Magic_Feature.htm

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
    edited February 2007
    Info

How's Macross?

Also do you have any experience with Korean specific releases of PS2 games? There's some oddities in there I've been trying to learn more about. One of my friends got a limited edition of GGXX#Reload there as an example. Has a metal case and it seems the Korean version of the game has a completely different (and equally awesome) soundtrack. :shock:

Neo Rasa on
    edited February 2007
    Macross is a pretty fun game and supposedly very accurate to the anime (I'm not very familiar with the series). There are two storyline paths - one for the anime, one for the movie. The gameplay is fairly good with a good variety of missions (most in space, although a few are land based). Each mech can transform between 3 different modes - mech/spaceship/hybrid - and choosing the correct mode for each situation is a big part of the game. Once you beat a mission, you can replay it to try to get a higher ranking which is fun (well, on the cooler missions).

Despite being a 3+ year old game, the graphics still hold up today. I only played about a third of the way through and then got distracted by something else. I ought to go back and finish it up.

RainbowDespair on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wish Sega would just give up the rights to Sakura Taisen, because it's clear as day they have no intention of localizing it.

You'd think they'd at least give the series a chance.

Granted, I don't know if anyone would dare to localize it even if Sega let them, but it'd be nice.

Anyway, I have like three PS2 imports, and I love them all. PIU Exceed's Korean version(debuted in Korea as the first console incarnation of Pump ever, so I pounced on it), Namco X Capcom, and Beatmania IIDX 10th Style.

NxC is plenty enjoyable without speaking Japanese, aside from missing out on the story... but I have a fairly good idea of what's going on just from the voice acting and images(this is why it's always good to get voice-acted imports if you don't speak the language).

I'll only import if I know it is NOT coming out here, like NxC and 10th Style, so I don't do it as often as I'd like.

I also hate missing out on a good story... which is why I'm going to hate importing Growlanser IV.

But I've probably got no choice. I want to play it way more than V.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really like the Naruto Games for the Ps2, specially the third one.

They also just announced the new one based on the time skip characters. Looks pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-pbIfMDCtg

Kyougu on
  • astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Any super-cool Japanese shmups to recommend?

Just picked up Raiden III last week and am having a ball with the updated, old-skool goodness.

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shooters? Tons. Everything by Cave (DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou, Ibara, Mushihimesama, Espgaluda and possibly others I can't think of off the top of my head), plus Psyvariar 2 for starters.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had recently seen this video of a Dynamite Deka (Die Hard Arcade) game for the Playstation 2:

Is that game a sequal to Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast? I loved that game despite it being about 5min long

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2007
    Burtletoy wrote:

Is that game a sequal to Dynamite Cop on the Dreamcast? I loved that game despite it being about 5min long
    Dynamite Cop is also known as Dynamite Deka 2. So it's actually the sequel.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png