As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Polyhedral Pretend Time!

1181920212224»

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think once I'm out of college I will probably run a campaign which subverts a whole bunch of the Disney films.

Yes, yes that is something I would like to do.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Skype sounds like a great tool to streamline encounters, otherwise you'll find online games to be a helluva lot more sluggish than the real thing

When I started out playing D&D online using Maptools, the group I played with was pretty shy about roleplaying. We ended up using voicechat for combat related things and the maptools chatbox for roleplaying endeavours. It worked pretty well in our experience.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, the mechanics are useless.

The book is several hundred pages, mostly reference charts.

You often have to reference several charts for a single act.

There is very little room to do anything that doesn't have charts already assigned to it.

There are charts for rape, and they cross- reference the penis size of the attacker relative to the size of the victims vagina or anus.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think i'm going to start running a d&d campaign for my friends back in ontario using masterplan, skype, and maybe google docs

i sent out a message, i'm hoping that people will be interested (people will probably be interested)

has anyone run online games before? what sort of problems should I expect/work against/design adventures to accomodate?

the scarlets and I played a Mage game online for a few months.

Mage doesn't require minatures, so we didn't need any software that needed to keep track of that stuff. Plus mage is a d10 only system.

We actually determines Teamspeak to be the best software for us.

Teamspeak allows for voice chat, voice prioritization(so the DM always gets his word through), PMs, and a d10 dice rolling plugin that I modified to work inside PMs as well. That way the DM can see all the rolls and speak to specific players.

It actually worked out pretty damn well, all things considered.

The hardest part was keeping track of documents. Character sheets, maps(if you have them), etc.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I am gonna start playing Pathfinder here in about a month or so.

Currently looking at making an Inquisitor.

Anyone here play Pathfinder before? I hear it is like D&D 3.75

I've never played 3.5, what kind of bias does this system have?

Like 4e is very very combat bias, so much so they had to come out with another DM book that focused on non-combat challenges, because it wasn't really tied into the game.

whereas World of Darkness stuff like Vampires and Mage are way less combat oriented and more RP/skill based.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Who here played Call of Cthulhu? Because it's awesome.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think once I'm out of college I will probably run a campaign which subverts a whole bunch of the Disney films.

And then everyone in the group will suddenly not be able to make it due to other plans and the campaign will fall apart after 3 short sessions.

*sob*

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

And then everyone in the group will suddenly not be able to make it due to other plans and the campaign will fall apart after 3 short sessions.

*sob*

Nah cause none of the players will have to study for a biology exam that coming Monday.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

*sob*

Nah cause none of the players will have to study for a biology exam that coming Monday.

Heh.

Hehe...

Hahahaha...

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

College has prepared you for nothing.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Nogs wrote: »

Bias in what respect? Do you mean where does it shine and fail?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I think he means combat vs. roleplay/social.

3.5, like ANY D&D product, is very much a combat game. Some would argue that there's more support in 3.5 and Pathfinder for out-of-combat stuff, and they may very well be right, but don't expect anything on the level of WoD.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    MacGuffin wrote: »

i've run it a couple of times, but i haven't quite figured out how to pace it effectively. how'd yours go?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Stilts wrote: »

3.5, like ANY D&D product, is very much a combat game. Some would argue that there's more support in 3.5 and Pathfinder for out-of-combat stuff, and they may very well be right, but don't expect anything on the level of WoD.

Stilts in correct in that D&D 3.5 is designed for combat. The system is also ingrained in the mentality of adventurers kicking down a dungeon door and killing things for money. Now with that said the system does off some flexibility in which you can do complete social encounters (nothing akin to WoD or CoC) or stretch the system to incorporate different models of play.

In the end 3.5 is pretty flexible in the lower levels but picks up too much steam in the higher levels where every problem/situation will be handled by a caster.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Stilts in correct in that D&D 3.5 is designed for combat. The system is also ingrained in the mentality of adventurers kicking down a dungeon door and killing things for money. Now with that said the system does off some flexibility in which you can do complete social encounters (nothing akin to WoD or CoC) or stretch the system to incorporate different models of play.

In the end 3.5 is pretty flexible in the lower levels but picks up too much steam in the higher levels where every problem/situation will be handled by a caster.
    or the reaping mauler who will grapple a t-rex and win

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Reminds me of my friend's Pathfinder monk, who grappled a dragon so my Crusader could coup-de-grace him.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Umm... Reaping Maulers are some of the worst grapplers in 3.5

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Umm... Reaping Mauler's are some of the worst grapplers in 3.5

wait, weren't they the grappling based prestige class?

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    what kinda punk-ass cavalier needs help killing things?

god cavaliers own

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, not cavalier.

Crusader, from Tome of Battle.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Umm... Reaping Mauler's are some of the worst grapplers in 3.5

wait, weren't they the grappling based prestige class?

They are but that doesn't mean they are good at it (and they aren't).

The real grappling-based prestige class is Black Blood Cultist (Champions of Ruin).

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Reminds me of my friend's Pathfinder monk, who grappled a dragon so my Crusader could coup-de-grace him.

so far, every single D&D character i've made has ridden a dragon successfully for at least 1 round.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

god cavaliers own

really? cause cavaliers in Pathfinder look like they suck on paper.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

god cavaliers own

really? cause cavaliers in Pathfinder look like they suck on paper.

at lvl 16, on a charge on my http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/dragonne

with a lance and my challenge I was doing over 100 damage PER attack

off my mount I used a keen scimitar, and had like 35 ac and still did almost 60 damage on a non-crit

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah chargers (be it mounted or not) in 3.5 are pretty impressive damage dealers.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I also took one of the best combat feats in the game cause holy shit

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-and-strike-combat

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yeah chargers (be it mounted or not) in 3.5 are pretty impressive damage dealers.

the thing is, cavaliers don't even NEED to be mounted or charge to be terrifying

their challenge ability and bonus feats and banner make them baller as fuck

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MacGuffin wrote: »

i've run it a couple of times, but i haven't quite figured out how to pace it effectively. how'd yours go?

Pacing depends a lot on the group and the time you have. I like to play it slow and let my players have fun with their role. The horror hits harder when you can immerse them in the mundane. But I'm also gifted with players who bring a typewriter to do their notes on and obses over minor details. Stuff like that does wonders for the atmosphere.

If your group likes fast horror then design the adventure accordingly. Not all Call of Cthulhu adventure have to be library based.
    Try to do one in real time. A quick example: Your players are a group of illegal immigrants trying to cross the border in the back of a van. Suddenly there car crashes and they are trapped inside of it. Then the old mexican lady next to them begins to behave weirdly and something not quite human is trying to get in.

The whole thing starts with a car crash and it doesn't get much better, so there shouldn't be any really boring moments. But the best thing here is that you have them in a small place and you can control the pace from the very beginning. Give them enough options like a shotgun in the van, an old mobile radio stuff like that. And if that isn't enough let them mistrust each other.

MacGuffin on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dubh wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    how many times in a fantasy setting do you come across statues that remain inanimate, though

its like asking how many times does a door not have a trap on it?

If the DM's running a Gygax-styled game, these are the least of your worries

how many of you touch the door?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    man, gygax was such an asshole dm

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be fair, Tomb of Horrors was pretty much meant to be a convention meat-grinder where the point wasn't so much to finish it, just to see how long the party lasted, and then compare your nerd bragging rights to other nerds who died in the tomb.

That said, yes, yes he was.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You know what, everyone might hate him but he did set the ceiling.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Also: Charts!

TS9Vd.jpg

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I long to some day have a group serious enough to play Cthulhu with me. I know part of my failures in the past with it have been from me writing shitty plots, but I've always played with fairly casual gamers, alongside, often, a very serious DM, either myself or another person. It results in a really fun game atmosphere, but I'd never want to put Call of Cthulhu on most of the people I play with. The closest I get these days is like, Arkham Horror, and that just ends up being a pulp game nine times out of ten.

Straightzi on