As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Neil Gaiman appreciation station

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    her wikipedia page says she's bisexual

(I didn't know who she was until now)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apropos of nothing, here's a great blog post I read from Gaiman a few days ago

it is basically him responding to someone who emailed him about how shitty it was that George RR Martin hadn't written the new Song of Ice and Fire book because, as a fan, Martin owed it to him.

People with a sense of entitlement are the worst which is why I enjoyed the post so much.

#pipe on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Please be GdT please be GdT pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeee.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More like Kneel Gayman

Just joshin. Been a while since I've read the book, but wasn't there a bunch of gratuitous misery piled on the narrator? Like, his wife being not only dead but dead while blowing another guy?

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Huh. I like Gaiman, but I thought American Gods was awkward and heavy-handed. I didn't know it was so well-regarded.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More like Kneel Gayman

Just joshin. Been a while since I've read the book, but wasn't there a bunch of gratuitous misery piled on the narrator? Like, his wife being not only dead but dead while blowing another guy?

YES. And it was hilarious.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love me some Gaiman, but my favorite is Good Omens. I want a good omens movie

Bucketman on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    American gods was one of my favorite books. Lookin forward to this

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I own, I think, 4 copies of Neverwhere.

First one was a gift. I loaned it to a friend, who left it somewhere inconvenient where she would not be able to retrieve it for 5 years (Her parents house. Her parents were trade envoys to China).

So I bought another one. Left it behind when I moved to Canada. I then discovered despite the fact I had been raving about it for several years at this point, my wife hadn't actually readit (although she loved the copy of Stardust I gave her).

So I bought another copy. This one lasted well, and I think it's the version in my bookshelf at home.

Where it shares a space with the one my wife bought me last year, when she went to a Neil Gaiman authors reading at the art festival (I was busy being a groomsman at a Wedding); she hadn't realised there would be a signing opportunity so quickly bought a copy of my favourite (it must be my favourite, I have 4 copies) Gaiman Book for him to sign.

Needless to say, I now have all of these books somewhere or another. The one from China got returned to me (although I have loaned it out again since), and the one I left here when I went to Canada is in my parents bookshelf behind me. The other two are somewhere in the shelves of the bookcases at my house, although with my bookshelves in the process of undergoing a reorganisation at present, I couldn't tell you exactly where.

It's worth noting that I have also given many copies of the book as gifts to friends; it would not surprise me to discover that I had bought more than a dozen copies of Neverwhere at one time or another. It's pretty much a running joke at this point.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still remember when I first got into Gaiman. A friend at the time invited me to join him for an author signing and I had no idea who the author was but sure why not? Cue one of the funniest Q&As I've ever heard and American Gods, Sandman Vol. 1 and one of the Death comics being purchased by yours truly and waiting 4 hours til midnight to have them signed. The limit was 2 works per person but since me and my friend had waited for so long Gaiman happily personalised each of ours. My favourite is him writing "SWEET DREAMS" in my copy of Sandman.

Also during the Q&A he pulled out a question from the bowl of questions he was given and one asked "Will you ever write a sequel to Starburst?"

"Well I haven't even written that one yet but as for Stardust, who knows? For now though it doesn't seem likely."

Then after the intermission between questions and signings he made the book store staff hand out bags of starbursts to the waiting line.

Basically he is an amazing fellow.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

John Landis in his prime could've directed the fuck out of a Good Omens movie. Nowadays, I dunno. The Coens seem to be the only ones still interested in old-school Farce, which I feel is the pitch an adaptation would need to take.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bucketman wrote: »

How about a 4-part television mini-series?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I bought a giant tome containing Sandman last november from the Solid Saints auction. I enjoyed it.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    also obligatory reminder that neil gaiman is married to amanda palmer and it's impossible for there to be a more awesome marriage than that

whoa I didn't know that!

for some reason I thought she was gay?

she's bi and the marriage is cool. i feel bad for them though, i follow them both on twitter and so much of their conversation is 'WELP. IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. MISS YOU. GOD I HATE TRAVELLING BUT WE ARE BOTH ROCK STARS SO IT GOES."

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    also obligatory reminder that neil gaiman is married to amanda palmer and it's impossible for there to be a more awesome marriage than that

whoa I didn't know that!

she's bi and the marriage is cool. i feel bad for them though, i follow them both on twitter and so much of their conversation is 'WELP. IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. MISS YOU. GOD I HATE TRAVELLING BUT WE ARE BOTH ROCK STARS SO IT GOES."

Yeah but then they get back into the same country, each one brings a groupie, and they have crazy awesome fourways until they pass out from exhaustion

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That's the part where I long for a life I will never live.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    comic-1.gif

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Group sex: far from a hoot and a holler.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

whoa I didn't know that!

Yeah but then they get back into the same country, each one brings a groupie, and they have crazy awesome fourways until they pass out from exhaustion

Now, for some reason, I really really want to see a sex tape of those two. I'd actually enjoy this. Intellectual rockstar geek sex all the way!

And from what I heard, after they got hitched, their neighbours registered noise complaints. Considering Amanda Palmer and her love for her map of Tasmania, I'm somehow not at all surprised.

HyperBallad on
    Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Group sex: far from a cooch and a call-girl.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'd be surprised if they didn't. I don't think AFP does anything by half measures.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be surprised if they didn't. I don't think AFP does anything by half measures.

Amen to that! *humming Map of Tasmania*

Wonder if he'd have a threesome with AFP and Tori Amos....

HyperBallad on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sold on this just yet, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad.

Also I went and saw Neil give a live reading of one of his short stories at the Opera House and god damn it was amazing.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Goddamn that really was amazing Flay, went there too. Gaiman is a fantastic orator.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure he does/did his own audiobooks didn't he?

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think he does, his voice is so great to listen to.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Flay, Gatsby kinda has a mancrush on him. Just so you know.

HyperBallad on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've listened to his audiobooks of Fragile Things and The Graveyard Book and they are lovely.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Who doesn't?

I mean if she's Amanda Fucking Palmer he's Neil Bloody Gaiman.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm Neil Gaiman (swag swag)

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaiman is one of my favorite authors. The Sandman was absolutely brilliant. However, I felt that American Gods was just awful. Flimsy character development, weak pacing, look-how-clever-this-is type of writing, and the ultimate sin, it was just plain BORING. Very disappointing.

But who knows, maybe this will be one of the very rare cases where the movie turns out better than the book. The over-the-top characters in American Gods could translate very well on screen, depending on the casting choices. Would be very interesting to see who they get to portray Mr. Wednesday.

Galactic on
    ^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gatsby wrote: »

Who doesn't?

Gatsby I'm afraid we will have to fight for the right to have a mancrush on Neil Gaiman.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh boy. *gets popcorn*

HyperBallad on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still remember when I first got into Gaiman. A friend at the time invited me to join him for an author signing and I had no idea who the author was but sure why not? Cue one of the funniest Q&As I've ever heard and American Gods, Sandman Vol. 1 and one of the Death comics being purchased by yours truly and waiting 4 hours til midnight to have them signed. The limit was 2 works per person but since me and my friend had waited for so long Gaiman happily personalised each of ours. My favourite is him writing "SWEET DREAMS" in my copy of Sandman.

Also during the Q&A he pulled out a question from the bowl of questions he was given and one asked "Will you ever write a sequel to Starburst?"

"Well I haven't even written that one yet but as for Stardust, who knows? For now though it doesn't seem likely."

Then after the intermission between questions and signings he made the book store staff hand out bags of starbursts to the waiting line.

Basically he is an amazing fellow.

Kinokuniya Sydney?

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Flay wrote: »

Who doesn't?

Gatsby I'm afraid we will have to fight for the right to have a mancrush on Neil Gaiman.

You challenge an Emperor swathed in golden and ivory regalia, a bejewelled scabbard clinging to my side holding an elegant but poised rapier, with your cardboard suit of armour, paper helmet and plastic sword?

My boy this is no sandpit. This is my domain. This is my kingdom.

Like a toddler lost in a playground at night, abandoned by a neglectful mother, the sites and experiences that shall befall you will leave scars no medical men may ever alleviate.

This will not be a fight, this will be a cat toying with an already dead hatchling that thought it could fly from its nest.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah but

I'mma hit you.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit.

Also, yup Jintor!

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nah just kidding I've got nothin'.

Flay on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit.

Also, yup Jintor!

Man, that was like, 2 years ago or something. I remember that signing. It was badass.

I came after school and they were like "Do you have a line reservation?" and I was like "WHAAAAAAT" and they were like "Nah just kidding, hop in line and wait for two hours"

So I did.

It was awesome.

I also got a question answered, which was rad!

Jintor on