As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hawken] Open Beta is now live

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Yay, I am in the upcoming 2nd alpha test!

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Heavy Gear III

WHAT?!

/me starts hyperventilating.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Yay, I am in the upcoming 2nd alpha test!

yes this, exciting!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I got an email, too. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm in the 2nd Alpha or anything, but! I did finally get my callsign reservation email! :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm in the 2nd Alpha or anything, but! I did finally get my callsign reservation email! :D

Likewise!

Still pretty stoked for this game, too

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'm going to have time for this now. Borderlands 2 is going to consume all my free time for the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Alpha 2 codes are going out now! Just got mine.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    SOLD

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    DAMMIT

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid is a man of fine report.

Let us destroy walking steel weaponry together as fine gentlemen.
    ibs9uPvBaEf7RJ.jpg

• Options
    I will be most eager to ride out in my top hat and monocle adorned mech with any other Alpha peoples and inform the lower class rabble of their inadequacies when I get home from work tomorrow.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Suriko deserves that key far more than i would have for making this fine theme I'm using.

6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    I'd say "this game is ridiculously fucking good and everything I've wanted in a mech game", but that would be possibly violating the NDA.

So my comment on this is that it might be ridiculously fucking good and everything I've wanted in a mech game.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I managed to get into both hawken's alpha and the mwo beta and before I played either I was interested if both could exist in the mech F2P space at once but oh man after trying them out they are about as far apart as they can be. Very interested to see how both of them pan out in the future.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I managed to get into both hawken's alpha and the mwo beta and before I played either I was interested if both could exist in the mech F2P space at once but oh man after trying them out they are about as far apart as they can be. Very interested to see how both of them pan out in the future.

Yeah my brother was excited for it before he knew about MWO, and we both got in that beta. He was talking about how he wasn't really excited for Hawken any more because MECHWARRIOR! But they play totally differently.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    This man speaks the truth. These games cater to very different tastes and attempting to directly compare them is like trying to pit Unreal Tournament up against Ghost Recon (the first one, yanno, the good one).

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    And just got in! Downloading now.

6Jx6HOg.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ok, I got in, but the main site is dead for me why why why.

Why bad gateway?

Edit: Huh, bad cookie.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    talkingheadtalkinghead Registered User regular
    got my key and am downloading now

• Options
    I played a couple rounds today.

Had to change my underwear after each one.

Thanks to Planetside 2, Hawken, and MWO, 2012 is the year that free to play games eat me alive. I can't wait till my new video card gets in though. It's a crime against humanity that I can't run Hawken at Ultra.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I forgot my password please kill me.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Downloading.

Once it's finished I'll proceed to stupidly compare this and that other mech game using remarks that involve vacuums.

(Or maybe not :P )

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    So yeah, this is pretty cool. I hope it gets more sim-like elements, but it feels like you're piloting big machines with heavy ordinance. Hard to beat that.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Want to play this game....SO BAD!!! I suppose no more alpha keys are going out? Is it.. everything we dreamed of?

• Options
    So yeah, this is pretty cool. I hope it gets more sim-like elements
    Like what?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I'm kinda liking what I played so far... must further test weapons to find something that works.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    So, is there actual customization in this version of alpha? Or just presets?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Some. You can set your items and mods, but most everything else is set. I suspect this game isn't going to be super customization heavy ala Mechwarrior but more like old builds of beta Tribes: Ascend where you chose what armor (mech) you want and you have a very limited amount of weapon customization you can do to it. Granted, this is only Alpha and much more could get added.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like they sent out quite a huge wave of Alpha 2 invites. The more to shoot, the merrier!

Looks like Alpha 2 only runs until October 3rd so get your mech-time in fast I suppose? (Unless we're grandfathered into Closed Beta)

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Got in tonight. NDA's scare me so all I'm going to say is :^:

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Woah!

WOAH!

I'm in too! :D

EDIT: I like it lots. Feels like I'm lugging serious weight. Hoping for a lot of customization options though, ideally I'd like to build my own custom mech out of components, but I imagine that's a balance nightmare

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Got in tonight. NDA's scare me so all I'm going to say is :^:

You've said too much. REPORTED.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Some. You can set your items and mods, but most everything else is set. I suspect this game isn't going to be super customization heavy ala Mechwarrior but more like old builds of beta Tribes: Ascend where you chose what armor (mech) you want and you have a very limited amount of weapon customization you can do to it. Granted, this is only Alpha and much more could get added.

Well, you can also customize the look of your mech: swap body, arms, legs. Merely cosmetic, but it's cool.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

Well, you can also customize the look of your mech: swap body, arms, legs. Merely cosmetic, but it's cool.

Well yeah, but cosmetics are always an afterthought with me so I didn't even think to mention it.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    oh hey, checked my email and I got into the alpha too. weee mechs

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Like what?

I'd like to see limited ammunition, maybe some projectile physics, and a limit to how many times you can repair. Locational damage would also be cool.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Like what?

I'd like to see limited ammunition, maybe some projectile physics, and a limit to how many times you can repair. Locational damage would also be cool.

Based on what little I have played of this game so far, those all seem like terrible, horrible ideas

With the exception of locational damage but I can't imagine it would really impact the actual game all that much, especially not in any positive way

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET