As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rename an installation of Windows?

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
Here's a little quiz for the PC gurus. Recently, I suffered the "Bootmgr is missing" for reasons unclear to me (the only thing I can think of is I accidentally deleted something in the root directory of C:, but I don't remember having gone on a deleting spree).

Thankfully, I had my Windows 7 boot disk handy, and after finally listening to the freaking computer, it recovered my Windows 7 installation, and then, on the next restart, was able to repair it.

However, it called the installation "Windows 7 Recovery Installation". I only have one installation of an OS installed on my hard discs (not counting virtual machines), and I was left wondering if I could just rename it to "Windows 7 Professional" or "Windows 7". Is that possible, and, of course, is it safe?

It's by no means important, just something I would like to change, but I can live without it being changed.

Synthesis on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It is both possible and safe.

I can't for the life of me remember how right now.

I think I used a 3rd-party app to do it last time. I'll poke around and see if I can remember what it was, assuming somebody else doesn't come up with it first.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The FAQ on the GParted site points to an article on HowToGeek, which points to a program called Vista Boot Pro. Except that Vista Boot Pro changed into Windows Dual Boot Editor and started charging for their services. Google for Vista Boot Pro for older, still freeware versions of the program.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    install EasyBCD

click Change Settings button -> edit the name where it says NAME on the left.

Xantus on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EasyBCD did work, thank you Xantus, and everyone else for the recommendations.

I noticed that in display mode, that I have one entry in the bootloader (sounds right)--though curiously, the default entry is described as being booted out of D :. Underneath it, though, the first and only entry acknowledges the drive as C:| and the boothloader path as the right location on C:.

Strange, in any case. I guess that's normal?

Synthesis on