As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job Hunting in Texas

GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I arrived in Texas this Thursday, but came down with a nasty cold/potential flu virus that's been bogging me down since my flight landed. I'm still sick but getting better, so I used that workintexas.com website that Captain K posted a while back. I'm having trouble finding anything to be honest.

The only thing I studied in school was traditional animation up in Toronto, Canada, and I was forced to stop completing my diploma due to financial/immigration complications. As you can guess there's not a lot of use for that in Texas, so i'm just looking for any type of work that offers/pays consistent hours while i'm down here.

Since i've been gone from Texas for so long, I don't really have much job experience other than as a Server, and because of my school's private institution status I wasn't able to secure a work permit in Canada during my stay. I've basically been unemployed for almost three years!

I'm tired of going the server route. The pay is garbage ($2.13 an hour), it's never stable income, and to be frank i'm just not that great at it. I just want something I can go in and out from that pays decent enough and that I won't hate it completely.

Any suggestions?

Godfather on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Call centers? Usually hiring and the only experience needed is usually "customer service." You'll probably hate it though, most people do.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm not the best with customer service, else I would stick with being a Server.

I'm looking for something that pays decent and can keep me busy so the hours will move along faster. Nothing worse than having a job where you stand around and do nothing all day, ya know?

Godfather on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's always temp work. It might be boring office stuff, but most temp work down here pays $10/hour or so.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What is temp work?

Godfather on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really could be anything. You hire out to a firm that hires you out to companies that need your help. You could do warehouse/heavy lifting stuff (won't get you much money, and it won't be very fun with summer coming up), or more basic office stuff like data entry, filing, gopher type stuff (usually in the $10/hour range). If a company ends up liking you, they may hire you on full time.

It would at least get some money coming in while you look for something more long term. Just google 'temp work [your area of texas here]' and it should spit out some options for you.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uh, Texas is a really big place. You want to be specific in the city? I'm in Dallas, and my work place is hiring. If you want more info, send me a message.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well I live in the Spring area, close to The Woodlands. That's about 30 minutes outside of the Houston area.

Godfather on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    The only thing I studied in school was traditional animation up in Toronto, Canada, and I was forced to stop completing my diploma due to financial/immigration complications. As you can guess there's not a lot of use for that in Texas, so i'm just looking for any type of work that offers/pays consistent hours while i'm down here.

As you can guess? WTF kind of a comment is this? Stop being a silly goose and look around, if that's what you want to try and do. You'd be surprised what you might find in Austin or Dallas in that field, assuming you're any good.

Anyhow, your main problem is that you're in Spring. That's by far the most expensive and nouveau riche area of Houston, and there won't be much in the way of temporary or low-skill work to be found. Time to broaden your horizons.

In more ways than one, apparently.

spool32 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Look into banking/foreclosures.

The sad upside to the whole housing bust is that banks have had to hire tons of people to deal with the paperwork and various aspect of this.

And long shot, but funimation is based off Dallas. You animation studies could get you an interview.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I cannot leave Spring. Dallas or Austin is not an option. I returned back to Texas to save money to return to Canada next January. Living in either of those places will cost me cash I do not have.

These are the cards i've been dealt with.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Got a quick question:

I'll be studying the Digital Media Arts degree at Seneca in Toronto this January. It covers a lot of programs, but I think I want to hone in on web design/development. I have a friend who does that for a job, but he's working on building his own freelance company instead of pursuing a studio job. I'll get to chat with him on Monday, but in the time being what are some recommendations on places I can go to pursue something like an entry-level apprenticeship/internship?

I know a few basics about web design but i'd be more than willing to learn, and if the opportunity rose up i'd be more for picking something that could offer more long-term than short-term.

So far the only places I know to look at is Craigslist, but that's about it. I'm a level-green beginner at looking this stuff up, so any help or direction would be appreciated!

Godfather on