As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Rhymes are for Losers you Sales Thread Users.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "To be honest, I had my own impression about Western people - being laid back and sitting on sofas, but even yesterday they came in early, on a Sunday, and gave us all sorts of recommendations. They wanted to do it, rather than being dragged out of bed if you like. So they've completely changed my perception about working with Western developers."

Wow. Just, wow.

Hey...at least he didn't make a remark about hamburgers or BMWs.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    "To be honest, I had my own impression about Western people - being laid back and sitting on sofas, but even yesterday they came in early, on a Sunday, and gave us all sorts of recommendations. They wanted to do it, rather than being dragged out of bed if you like. So they've completely changed my perception about working with Western developers."

Wow. Just, wow.

Hey...at least they didn't print a remark about hamburgers or BMWs.

I like the idea that devs can't be both laid back and sitting on sofas and dedicated to coming in on a Sunday to pitch ideas. As if the world hasn't ever heard of those dreadful 80+ hour weeks game companies sometimes have...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Most games so far in 2011 have been very-meh. Nothing's particularly standout or interesting. And to think Dragon Age 2 is still stirring up controversy a month after release is just sad.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Yeah that's crossed the line from quaint cultural difference to something else. Plus, kind of stupid and arrogant considering these western developers that 'need dragging out of bed' are so much more successful.

Well he did say on Sunday. I don't know about you, but I don't work on Sunday.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Madden lawsuit season is beginning! If you bought one of EA Sports' Madden, NCAA, or even Arena Football games between 2005 and now, you might be receiving an email naming you as part of a "class" of plaintiffs in a class action suit against EA.

The case "Pecover V. Electronic Arts, Inc." claims that EA's exclusive licenses "foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market." Because of this lack of competition, the plaintiffs in the case claim that this monopoly allowed EA to overcharge for its games (even though EA Sports games cost the same as most other mass-market console games).

Right now, you're a member of the "class" of allegedly fleeced football fans if you bought any of the games, unless you bought them on a mobile platform, pre-owned, directly from EA, or while working for EA. If you want to opt out of the class (what -- you don't want to be part of something?), you can do so by following the instructions here. We've contacted EA for comment.

Always wondered if what EA did could be considered a monopoly, it has all the ear markings of one no?

Cade on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    “The Sun decided to investigate this issue after receiving an unusually high levels of calls and emails from readers relating to side effects of the Nintendo 3DS. As Nintendo has admitted, there are a small minority of people who will find it difficult to use the product. This has led Nintendo to issue guidance that the console is not suitable for the under sevens, and that even adult players should not play it for longer than 30 minutes. The majority of people will be able to use the console without issue. But the story is about what happens to the minority who cannot use it. Current consumer law makes no provision for them. Technology has advanced far more quickly than consumer law and there is no redress for buyers who want to return the console as – through no fault of their own – they cannot use it. Currently they are being told by Nintendo and retailers there are no grounds to return it under current laws as the console is not faulty. For our readers, this is a problem as paying out £200 for an item you cannot use is not acceptable. Over the years The Sun has reported on many of Nintendo’s successes with positive stories about their products – and this week has even reported claims by some users that the 3DS has improved their eyesight,. However, we must also represent the position of our readers who are currently experiencing problems with their products – which will inevitably reflect badly on Nintendo. We acknowledge that this debate isn’t solely about Nintendo and it is unlikely the issue will be unique to them. On this basis it would be prudent for any company encountering this to accept there is a problem for some buyers, and put in place a sensible refund policy. That’s all our readers are asking for – and we support that. The Sun did not remove its claim that retailers had seen a record level of returns from the online version of the article, as reported by some media. The only change made to the article was to update and clarify GAME and HMV’s return policies around this issue. Both companies requested this update to fully reflect the different packages that they are now giving to gamers wishing to return the consoles. This was done with the co-operation of both retailers and neither requested the removal of the record return levels wording.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43852/The-Sun-stands-by-its-3DS-claims

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Most games so far in 2011 have been very-meh. Nothing's particularly standout or interesting. And to think Dragon Age 2 is still stirring up controversy a month after release is just sad.

Every BioWare game seems to stir up controversy these days. Almost always for ridiculously stupid reasons. And not necessarily right away. Hell, how long after Mass Effect came out did Fox News do their stupid "SexBox" thing?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    The Madden lawsuit season is beginning! If you bought one of EA Sports' Madden, NCAA, or even Arena Football games between 2005 and now, you might be receiving an email naming you as part of a "class" of plaintiffs in a class action suit against EA.

The case "Pecover V. Electronic Arts, Inc." claims that EA's exclusive licenses "foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market." Because of this lack of competition, the plaintiffs in the case claim that this monopoly allowed EA to overcharge for its games (even though EA Sports games cost the same as most other mass-market console games).

Right now, you're a member of the "class" of allegedly fleeced football fans if you bought any of the games, unless you bought them on a mobile platform, pre-owned, directly from EA, or while working for EA. If you want to opt out of the class (what -- you don't want to be part of something?), you can do so by following the instructions here. We've contacted EA for comment.

Always wondered if what EA did could be considered a monopoly, it has all the ear markings of one no?

Not remotely. Quite frankly, they're suing the wrong people. It's the NFL they would need to sue, not EA. EA purchased the license, which is the NFL's to give. Exclusive rights are nothing new. The only way to break EA's exclusive rights would be to establish that the different NFL teams compete with each other in the realm of video games. (The courts ruled against the NFL when the NFL tried to give exclusive rights to a clothing company because of the argument that the different teams are competing to sell their own jerseys. Even then, I don't think it prevents teams from striking exclusive deals individually.) However, different teams aren't trying to sell different video games, so it's going to be hard to do.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Every BioWare game seems to stir up controversy these days. Almost always for ridiculously stupid reasons. And not necessarily right away. Hell, how long after Mass Effect came out did Fox News do their stupid "SexBox" thing?

The only controversy that I actually cared about was the whole "guy getting banned from playing the game," thing, but that was more EA's fault than Bioware's. The whole "inaccurate representation of gays" thing just shows to me how easily people can get offended.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeaaah, I'm not seeing how EA has "overcharged" for Madden, unless you count releasing essentially the same game every year as overcharging.

Not EA's fault that they purchased a license that the licensee refuses to sell to anyone else.

Edit:

The only controversy that I actually cared about was the whole "guy getting banned from playing the game," thing, but that was more EA's fault than Bioware's. The whole "inaccurate representation of gays" thing just shows to me how easily people can get offended.

Honestly, at this point I just avoid reading other forums when a BioWare game comes out because there is this huge group of morons who want to hate on it for no good reason, regardless. Same for most major releases I guess. I still can't believe the hate StarCraft 2 got.

The banning thing was probably an oversight in the terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE social website design they use. But the dude was being a dumbass from what I hear anyways, so honestly, I have a hard time feeling any simpathy towards him. I'm sure they've already fixed the flaw and/or modified their banning procedures to avoid it. The gay thing was just flat out STUPID and I think Penny Arcade covered it pretty well :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

We're three months in 2011. Three months after the holiday release period.

And in that time, there's been decent gaming. Ghost Trick, DC Universe Online, Magicka, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2 for PS3 owners, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Bulletstorm, Stacking, Killzone 3, Rift, Pokemon Black, Dragon Age II, Yakuza 4, and even the damn 3DS (GHOST RECON!).

If you can't find something enjoyable, it's 'new hobby' time my friend.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have to admit I did hate on Bioware when DA:2 came out, but that was mainly because I was bitter about how disappointed I was with DA:2, but then I remembered The Old Republic, and my faith was restored.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Bullet Storm was pretty fucking awesome. Not game of the year or anything but unique and damn fun and well worth the ride. Just saying.

corin7 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    As proven by every overpriced Apple item ever.

ugh, don't even get me started on how overpriced apple is :?

I do kind of disagree though, as far as the market at large is concerned at least. Ever since the PS3 E3 fiasco, I've been convinced that Sony believes their branding is as strong as apple's. Sony has strong branding too, but apple has a whole fuckin subculture that devotes themselves to their products. Apple can charge almost whatever the hell they want and they'll sell out. No matter how good Sony's products are, people aren't just going to trust them blindly and fork over their cash. The NGP could make you bacon for breakfast and file your taxes at the same time but it's not going to sell out of the gate at $300-$400 like Sony seems to want to believe. The bacon-cooking CPA-enabled model may eventually sell really well because of those features but it'll still have to earn its mindshare over time just like the ps1/2, DS, wii, 360, etc.

That isn't to say though that everyone on this thread wont go out and buy an NGP day 1 because fuck, who doesn't like bacon, right?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

We're three months in 2011. Three months after the holiday release period.

And in that time, there's been decent gaming. Ghost Trick, DC Universe Online, Magicka, Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2 for PS3 owners, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Bulletstorm, Stacking, Killzone 3, Rift, Pokemon Black, Dragon Age II, Yakuza 4, and even the damn 3DS (GHOST RECON!).

If you can't find something enjoyable, it's 'new hobby' time my friend.

Not saying any of those are bad, I cut down a lot on my game playing and no games have particularly caught my eye or convinced me to really get back into gaming. I've been playing Minecraft more than my PS3 or Xbox now.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    MattnyxMattnyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Meanwhile pictures have surfaced of the canceled Kameo sequel.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297080/news/a-look-at-rares-canned-kameo-2/

The interesting part of the article:
    Speaking to Edge last year Rare creative director George Andreas admitted that discussing Kameo is still "painful" for the developer, and that after moving a title about a fairy away from the family-friendly Nintendo audience towards the shooter-loving Xbox crowd, there was only one thing to do: Lie and say Kameo was an elf.

Fun with console perceptions... <sigh>

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mattnyx wrote: »
    Meanwhile pictures have surfaced of the canceled Kameo sequel.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/297080/news/a-look-at-rares-canned-kameo-2/

The interesting part of the article:
    Speaking to Edge last year Rare creative director George Andreas admitted that discussing Kameo is still "painful" for the developer, and that after moving a title about a fairy away from the family-friendly Nintendo audience towards the shooter-loving Xbox crowd, there was only one thing to do: Lie and say Kameo was an elf.

Fun with console perceptions... <sigh>

That part is old news. Honestly though, Kameo looked dumb even when it was supposed to be a GameCube title. I really, really don't think it would have sold any better on that platform. Also my god the fur filters...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's sad that all of these games had to be canceled because of Kinect, and Kinect doesn't even have any good games out.

Edit: Disregard that. Kameo 2 still looked pretty dumb and looked like it was a failed attempt to make the franchise look gritty.

Edit 2: LOL. I guess they were trying to make Kameo into some generic feminine video game hero/sex symbol for all the silly geese to gawk over. Big breasts, skimpy outfit, etc. etc.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How will Battlefield 3 beat COD? According to EA with a hundred million dollar marketing blitz.
    Battlefield 3 and the Frostbite engine looked quite impressive during the game's GDC debut, and publisher Electronic Arts has made it known for some time now that they won't stop fighting until they've taken back the shooter crown from rival Activision. Talking to a group of marketers at the Ad Age conference, EA boss John Ricitiello explained to the audience that his company is very serious about toppling Call of Duty this fall with the release of Battlefield 3.

After showing them a demo, he proclaimed, referring to Activision's Call of Duty, "This game is designed to take down that game." He categorized it as a "battle of the titans", a rivalry like Red Sox versus Yankees or Microsoft versus Google. Riccitiello also noted that there will be a "couple hundred million dollars of marketing going against these two products going head-to-head."

Ultimately, Riccitello declared, "We think we've got the better product."

Call of Duty is so firmly entrenched in the gaming community that it's definitely going to be challenge for EA. Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter told us last month that Battlefield 3 doesn't stand a chance of edging out Call of Duty this fall.

It's not in the game it's in you buying what we freaking tell you.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Heh, Nintendo knew what they were doing when they sold their stake in Rare.

MS on the other hand, must have buyers remorse something fierce.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That part is old news. Honestly though, Kameo looked dumb even when it was supposed to be a GameCube title. I really, really don't think it would have sold any better on that platform. Also my god the fur filters...

Actually I rather liked the original look and sound of the game when it was a Gamecube title still. The mix of fantasy ad post-apocaliptic world, wearing the creatures as weird power-up suits, the poke-e-mon esk colection and use of said creatures. It sounded like a nice original title.

Wasn't to happy with what it became. It wasn't bad.... just not all that great either.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aw Kameo was good.
    It's sad that all of these games had to be canceled because of Kinect, and Kinect doesn't even have any good games out.

Oh FFS.

Even Rare's own Kinect Sports is great fun.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Aw Kameo was good.

Oh FFS.

Even Rare's own Kinect Sports is great fun.

Unless you hate and/or are tired of Deca Sports style mini game motion compilations, then it's not.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Heh, Nintendo knew what they were doing when they sold their stake in Rare.

MS on the other hand, must have buyers remorse something fierce.

Microsoft is actively pushing them into becoming a Kinect house. Rare may regret it, but Microsoft doesn't seem to at all.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes. I was tired of having a bunch of motion control mini game compilations, but then I realized I couldn't think of any other game ideas for the Kinect. Kinect feels like, dare I say, a gimmick.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kinect is a cool tech but I don't know if it has good game applications.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dbrock; that's because you lack imagination.

Kinect feels like it has potential.

Now the Wii - those motion controls felt like a gimmick.

:rotate:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think RE4 is the only game where I feel Wii controls really enhance the experience. SH:SH was alright. Mario wouldn't have changed that much without 'em. And I'm split on Zelda. On one hand, B&A was teh sex. Waggle sword wasn't as awesome.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aw Kameo was good.

I agree. Transformation, puzzles, exploration, action, adventure. My favorite style of game.

Gosh, it's amazing how fast I go from agreeing with someone on here to disagreeing.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And good news for once! N-Space lives!

http://nspaceinc.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/alive_and_kicking/

Multiple 3DS titles and one for the Kinect. At least they are putting people back to work witch seems to have not been the trend for awhile.

PS: The Wii-mote can be used imaginatively/well for all sorts of games. Just because many developers can't be arsed to try anything above "waggle furiously" doesn't suddenly turn it into the "gimmick" that detractors try to make it out to be.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never heard of them, but their comments on that page show a lot of insight.
    believe that established independent developers like n-Space who have managed to survive the recent bloodbath are set to flourish. It’s not a return to normal, but establishing a new normal as the industry has fundamentally changed. Here are a few predictions / observations:

•The traditional console and retail box product approach still faces many challenges in the coming years as consumers spend more and more of their precious money and attention in other spaces.

•Mobile and browser-based gaming are here to stay, supported by powerful new price points and monetization methods. There are some really great games out there that cost absolutely nothing to play, unless you want to accelerate your progression, improve your character, etc. This isn’t something new, of course, but it is gaining a lot of traction as evidenced by TenCent’s recent $400m acquisition of Riot Games, creators of the popular multiplayer online battle-arena game, League of Legends.

•Almost nobody in the industry, except maybe Nintendo, wants another console before 2014. Most are very thankful for the success of Kinect (especially Microsoft!) as it will extend the lifespan of the 360 and this entire generation. Expect to see Microsoft and Sony both delay a new console launch as long as they can.

•3DS is hot. Publishers see the staggering success of DS, with over 130 million units sold, and can’t help but get in line to support this platform. The hardware is awesome and the launch has been Nintendo’s best in history. The 3D visuals are very compelling and provide immediate WOW factor, but also create a dramatic improvement to the overall visual aesthetic and quality that lasts well past the initial impressions. Combined with the significantly improved graphical capabilities, the games look fantastic and the whole system totally delivers on the “magical” experience that everyone has touted since E3 2010. Look for more of our impressions in an upcoming blog entry.

•Impressions of NGP are mixed. As gamers we love it – awesome hardware is something Sony does best and they have a great slate of titles planned. As developers with tremendous handheld experience we are rooting for it – more business opportunities and new challenges. As a business we’re curious how viable it is financially. Games will be very expensive to develop, requiring high unit sales to be profitable. Publishers will likely look to minimize those costs by porting PS3 titles, with as few changes / improvements as Sony will allow. I’m not sure the result will excite consumers enough to drive sales. A classic Chicken and Egg scenario may play out. Publishers we’ve talked to mostly share our position of cautious enthusiasm, but a few are enthusiastically supporting it.

•Kinect is hot. Hotter than anyone (Microsoft included IMHO) expected. With more than 10 million units sold it has gone from niche accessory to bonafide success and a bandwagon that everyone is looking to get on. How long it will last is the bigger question now, but it’s clear that Microsoft is committed to it for both core and casual markets and retail as well as XBLA. If the sales trend continues and some must-have software titles emerge it could become a real force to contend with. Oh, and it sells 360s too. At Christmas 2010 my home 360 popped the RROD, sending me to secure a replacement before the family had new games and no system. The first three stores I went to were sold out! Impressive.

•Next, next gen is around the corner. CryEngine, Unreal and Frostbite have all shown us what’s to come and it’s pretty amazing. I just wonder how our industry will bear the cost of development.

•Apple may win it all. iPad 2 is a warning shot. Most initial analysis of its hardware have focused on the additional memory and dual core processor, somehow glazing over the fact that the GPU is 9x as powerful as before. That kind of jump is unheard of in a single generation. What would it take for Apple to roll that into iPhone 5? How about the next revision of AppleTV? Add App Store support and Bingo! You’ve got a $99 console with virtually unlimited games for $5 or less. Oh, and it also does anything else you want. Want more? There are rumors that Apple is looking to license AirPlay to TV manufacturers. No AppleTV needed – play games on your near-360/PS3 powered smartphone or tablet (using the devices touchscreen, gyro and accelerometers for WiiMote+ style controls) and push the video to your living room set. All of this could happen in the next 12 months. In fact, it will very likely happen, and maybe sooner. I don’t think there is any coincidence at all that Apple arranged to have its last big announcement at the same time as GDC, nor that WWDC 2011, their big annual developer conference, is scheduled at the same time as E3. Also expect more on this in a future blog entry.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They were the ones that made Geist for Nintendo and generally make decent licensed games.

Mattnyx on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43858/US-satellite-giant-buys-Blockbuster
    Retail chain secured by Dish Network in $320m deal

Dish Network has bought Blockbuster in a $320m deal.

The second-largest satellite TV company in the US snapped the company up through a bankruptcy auction, beating competition from Carl Icahn and a group od debtholders.

The transaction still needs to be approved by a bankruptcy court however.

Dish Network's EVP Tom Cullen said in a statement: “With its more than 1,700 store locations, a highly recognizable brand and multiple methods of delivery, Blockbuster will complement our existing video offerings while presenting cross-marketing and service extension opportunities for Dish Network.

“While Blockbuster's business faces significant challenges, we look forward to working with its employees to re-establish Blockbuster's brand as a leader in video entertainment,” Cullen said in a prepared statement."

It is currently not known what Dish Networks intends to do with Blockbuster or its international assets, which includes the independent run UK business.

Couscous on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, glad N-Space lives, and now seem to be doing their own thing rather than the DS version of every Activision game.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think they basically just wanted the very decent blockbuster by mail service.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I don't think GAF counts as gaming journalism in any capacity. It's a fast place to check up on the latest gaming news, if that's what you mean.

It is absolutely the best aggregator of news out there. If all you want is the headlines, it's hard to beat.

Just never go past page one of a thread. Or read any posts other than the OP ever.

I mean, you could do worse. Like kotaku

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think they basically just wanted the very decent blockbuster by mail service.

I'd bet that they're after Blockbuster's video-on-demand. Though there hasn't been a significant migration away from cable/satellite yet, the cable and satellite providers must be terrified by the growth that Netflix and Hulu have seen in the past year. The cable providers at least have the ability to charge for the bandwidth, since they're also internet providers; Dish Network and Direct TV, however, either have to adapt or face the possibility of having a dying business model in a few years.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Both have much potential, and can and have been used effectively. I can't wait to see just what the Kinect can do once companies (Including MS) stop just making Wii games without the remote.

The Wii remote has proven that it can be a superior FPS controller with games like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    How will Battlefield 3 beat COD? According to EA with a hundred million dollar marketing blitz.
    Battlefield 3 and the Frostbite engine looked quite impressive during the game's GDC debut, and publisher Electronic Arts has made it known for some time now that they won't stop fighting until they've taken back the shooter crown from rival Activision. Talking to a group of marketers at the Ad Age conference, EA boss John Ricitiello explained to the audience that his company is very serious about toppling Call of Duty this fall with the release of Battlefield 3.

After showing them a demo, he proclaimed, referring to Activision's Call of Duty, "This game is designed to take down that game." He categorized it as a "battle of the titans", a rivalry like Red Sox versus Yankees or Microsoft versus Google. Riccitiello also noted that there will be a "couple hundred million dollars of marketing going against these two products going head-to-head."

Ultimately, Riccitello declared, "We think we've got the better product."

Call of Duty is so firmly entrenched in the gaming community that it's definitely going to be challenge for EA. Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter told us last month that Battlefield 3 doesn't stand a chance of edging out Call of Duty this fall.

It's not in the game it's in you buying what we freaking tell you.

I know it's business, and this is the industry thread, but it bothers me when EA suggest BF3 is designed as a 'CoD killer'.

I'm sure DICE themselves believe they've got the superior product (and from what we've seen so far it's hard to disagree) - but surely BF3 is about the legacy of the Battlefield series, something that runs deeper than a stale Activision franchise. Suggesting otherwise kinda cheapens it in my eyes.

And on a more selfish note, I don't want to see an influx of people who miss the point of Battlefield gameplay entirely.

Gutterkisser on