As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Rhymes are for Losers you Sales Thread Users.

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's why everyone attributes 'Toy Story graphics' to Sony. Because they specified it. I have no idea where the internet got the idea they somehow didn't specify Toy Story or went with 'CG Movies' since I don't remember that quote, and I've not seen anyone link to it anywhere. While I personally recall the games press all going on about 'Sony claiming Toy Story graphics' from the time, like the link above. So unless you can find a quote which states otherwise, we can continue attributing Toy Story to Sony.

This is the only official statement I could find relating to it:
    The current PlayStation introduced the concept of the Graphics Synthesizer via the real-time calculation and rendering of a 3D object. This new GS rendering processor is the ultimate incarnation of this concept – delivering unrivalled graphics performance and capability. The rendering function was enhanced to generate image data that supports NTSC/PAL Television, High Definition Digital TV and VESA output standards. The quality of the resulting screen image is comparable to movie-quality 3D graphics in real time.
    http://www.otherlandtoys.co.uk/ps2press.htm

It's still a bit silly but vague enough to be open to interpretation. So unless you can come up with an official statement that specifically brings up Toy Story, why would we continue attributing it to Sony when we know for a fact Microsoft did numerous times?

If you want to rag on Sony's PS2 promises, bring up the Emotion Engine or whatever, not something they never said.

I've already shown you a CNN article attributing it to 'Playstation 2 claiming' (and by association, Sony).

I don't really care if it is beyond your ability to fathom that Sony likely said this at the time, piles of magazines at the time reported it, which is why the 'Toy Story' comparison is widely attributed to Sony and not Microsoft. Since I'm assuming that CNN article was written in the US of A, that makes it a prolific idea which was written (at the time) on both sides the Atlantic. And before you ask, no I don't have any of the UK magazines from the time, they were all dumped after my student days.

The 'Toy Story graphics' claim was a large part of discussion in the pre-PS2 release hype, I remember poring over the info and screens from different magazines with my friends, comparing them to Dreamcast games etc. which is why it is attributed to PS2. You can ask for specific quotes all you like, they aren't going to be easy to come by, I can only tell you what was widely reported by numerous UK publications from the time. This was all pre-mass-internet games reporting days, like I said.

You can either assume everyone is lying, a global press PR conspiracy which went rolling with something which Sony never said yet was somehow still reported and discussed globally, sliping into the public consciousness, keep claiming it was down to Microsoft even though the Xbox wasn't in anyone's peripheral vision at that time to cloud people's memories (despite the fact they made a similar claim later, which is an entirely seperate issue) or just accept that actually, shit, it probably happened.

Like I said, I don't actually care, if you can't accept it I find it hilarious since I have no reason to lie over something so fucking ridiculous.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »
    I can't help but think that they over estimated perhaps the reaction to the 3DS and priced it a bit too much higher thinking they could get away with it a bit more then they are able too.

That's certainly a possibility. Hell, Iwata pretty much flat-out said they were pricing aggressively due to anticipated demand.

Then again, you wouldn't think "glasses-free 3D" would be THAT hard a concept to grasp. What have the 3DS ads been like?

Another possibility is that people are well and thoroughly sick of 3D in general. 3DTVs aren't selling, and 3D movies aren't automatically doing awesome box office anymore.

It certainly puts Nintendo's decision to yank the DS from store shelves in an interesting light.

At any rate, the DS doesn't seem to be doing badly for a handheld, even if it isn't doing holyfuckawesome.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do wonder if Nintendo is working on securing any major third party game as a timed exclusive for the Super Wii...something along the lines of RE6 or GTA5...it would make things interesting.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I prefer to think of this as divine retribution for them choosing to region-lock the 3DS.

Yeah, shipping 3.6 million instead of 4, what a punishment.

I'd point out that missing shipment numbers is a pretty big deal, and that's with the almost-certainty that this shipment number involves a fair bit of channel-stuffing.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Companies don't think with logic though.

It's obviously the public's fault that they just don't get it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't help but think that they over estimated perhaps the reaction to the 3DS and priced it a bit too much higher thinking they could get away with it a bit more then they are able too.

That's certainly a possibility. Hell, Iwata pretty much flat-out said they were pricing aggressively due to anticipated demand.

Then again, you wouldn't think "glasses-free 3D" would be THAT hard a concept to grasp. What have the 3DS ads been like?

Another possibility is that people are well and thoroughly sick of 3D in general. 3DTVs aren't selling, and 3D movies aren't automatically doing awesome box office anymore.

It certainly puts Nintendo's decision to yank the DS from store shelves in an interesting light.

At any rate, the DS doesn't seem to be doing badly for a handheld, even if it isn't doing holyfuckawesome.

The 3DS ads have been pretty eye-catching and cool. Using some neat camera effects to try and give the viewer a sense of 3D without being able to actually show it.

They could probably use some more demo kiosks though. My local Target had a small half-height shelf unit about 2' wide for 3DS games and another 2' for accessories, but no demo kiosk to show off the screen. Even if they encase it in a bubble with external controls or something so people don't mess up the screens it would help more than not being able to see it at all.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/37552/Key-EA-exec-John-Schappert-quits-for-Zynga
    Chief operating officer resigns on eve of company’s quarterly financial report

An executive at the centre of EA’s publishing business has resigned to join Zynga, reports suggest.

Social games giant Zynga has snapped up Electronic Arts chief operating officer John Schappert, according to Reuters.

The newswire claims he quit on Monday and will “take an executive post at Zynga”.

Schappert rejoined EA in 2009, and in his two years helped the publisher fight to plug haemorrhaging revenues.

Prior to this, he had been a major executive at Microsoft for about two years, following an extended spell at EA that began back in 1991.

Zynga’s scoop for the well-recognised executive, if true, offers a snapshot of the rate of change the industry is going through.

Zynga, founded in 2007, is currently valued between $7 and $10 billion. The firm is one of the first to crack the free-to-play model in the west, and has built its empire on the Facebook platform.

EA, once the global kingpin in brick and mortar game publishing, has struggled in recent years.

The firm last year put an end to twelve consecutive quarterly losses, and had ended 2010 with 795 fewer employees than the year prior.

Executive walkouts

Schappert’s departure would represent the fourth exec EA has lost in five weeks.

In April an unnamed EA Tiburon boss quit the company (very likely to be Ian Cummings, the Madden NFL creative director).

EA Easy Studio boss Ben Cousins, meanwhile, departed late in March – one day after Visceral Games boss Scot Amos resigned.
    I'd really like to know what the fuck Zynga is planning because its current crop and known upcoming crop don't seem to require that much talent at the top.

Couscous on
    edited April 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »

The 3DS ads have been pretty eye-catching and cool. Using some neat camera effects to try and give the viewer a sense of 3D without being able to actually show it.

They could probably use some more demo kiosks though. My local Target had a small half-height shelf unit about 2' wide for 3DS games and another 2' for accessories, but no demo kiosk to show off the screen. Even if they encase it in a bubble with external controls or something so people don't mess up the screens it would help more than not being able to see it at all.
    My local Best Buy has the demo unit really close to the ground to the point where I have to get on my knees to use it.

Couscous on
    edited April 2011
    Yea, Zynga are grabbing some pretty top notch talent of late. O_o

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's a problem with launching in spring vs. winter. During the Christmas shopping season, people will actively seek out the latest stuff for gifts. In spring you're only going to get people that actively know about the system and want the games. This is why, despite massive shortages, everyone wants to launch at Christmas. Even if people don't buy one right away, they will at least know about it for the future. Nintendo should just save their strength and make a big Christmas push. Hoping for big sales in spring at $250 was a bit of a stretch. But as the previous generation of handhelds showed, launches mean little in the long run so added revenue vs. a few extra sales is something that can be debated as to which is better.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    RE: Toy Story graphics.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89876

Not really a big deal since that kinda PR talk has existed since the beginning of time. I mean, did we really expect Nintendo to describe N64's graphical prowess as featuring the amazing technical ability to display tons of fog and blurry ass textures?

Sheep on
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god.

So I'm writing on the 3DTV market for my job, and I need to get the insight of an analyst.

I ask for advice on who to call, call up a financial company and ask to be connected with someone who would be the best fit for what I'm working on.

Long story short? I just left a phone message for Michael Pachter.

I am giddy.

cloudeagle on
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god.

So I'm writing on the 3DTV market for my job, and I need to get the insight of an analyst.

I ask for advice on who to call, call up a financial company and ask to be connected with someone who would be the best fit for what I'm working on.

I am giddy.

Ok, that's pretty awesome. You had better transcribe your whole conversation.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I assume you managed to slip the term "Wii HD" in that message somewhere?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And it really is a matter of showing off the system. People are impressed when they try it out for themselves (and it's also easier to show off than a console like PS3).

I have to wonder about this. Like with me, I was way impressed with the 3DS when I tried it out at GDC. When I tried it out at the local Best Buy, I was much less impressed - the screen was messy and probably scratched and I couldn't really hold it in the ideal spot with the result that the 3D effect wasn't anywhere near as cool and clear as it was when I tried the pristine unit. Probably would have gotten a headache if I had played it for more than a few minutes.

Needless to say, a lot more people are going to be trying out the 3DS at places like Best Buy than at industry conventions in ideal circumstances.

RainbowDespair on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

My local Best Buy has the demo unit really close to the ground to the point where I have to get on my knees to use it.

I'm not tall by American standards (169 centimeters at most), and the 3DS display at my local Best Buy makes me crane my neck down really far to view it correctly. I think it's inevitable.

Synthesis on
    edited April 2011
    Oh my god.

I am giddy.

Nerd.

Couscous on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, 3DS sales being lower than expected were... expected. It's a gimmick released merely to keep Nintendo's momentum rolling. Same thing will happen with Wii 2 if all it is is a prettier version of the Wii.

Sheep on
    edited April 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Also, 3DS sales being lower than expected were... expected. It's a gimmick released merely to keep Nintendo's momentum rolling. Same thing will happen with Wii 2 if all it is is a prettier version of the Wii.

Only being prettier didn't hurt the PS2, GBA, etc.

Couscous on
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried Street Fighter and Mercenaries out at SXSW. I was like yep, thats Street Fighter/Mercenaries. Visual candy doesnt do anything for me though. I know it was a Capcom booth and not a Nintendo booth, but doing AR stuff may have been a better hook for some people. All Gamestops are/were running Street Fighter in their demo units.

Not much you can do about that though. Running AR demos is a much more involved affair. $250 is still so far out of the question that I dont care what the thing can do or how much its actually worth. I'm still on the fence about the $130 PSP, despite already having made a considerable list of games that are relevant to my interests.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So a new system is a gimmick to keep momentum rolling, a gimmick to regain lost ground, or a gimmick to claim market dominance. Damn console makers and their gimmicks! We should have stopped in the days of the Magnavoxes and Ataris!

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    edited April 2011
    And it really is a matter of showing off the system. People are impressed when they try it out for themselves (and it's also easier to show off than a console like PS3).

I have to wonder about this. Like with me, I was way impressed with the 3DS when I tried it out at GDC. When I tried it out at the local Best Buy, I was much less impressed - the screen was messy and probably scratched and I couldn't really hold it in the ideal spot with the result that the 3D effect wasn't anywhere near as cool and clear as it was when I tried the pristine unit. Probably would have gotten a headache if I had played it for more than a few minutes.

Needless to say, a lot more people are going to be trying out the 3DS at places like Best Buy than at industry conventions in ideal circumstances.

That's true, since the sweet spot is so narrow, the only way a 3DS kiosk would work is if you somehow were able to lift it up for yourself. But then how would you get a big-ass cable bolted to it? At any rate, I was able to see a 3DS loose and thought it was aces; another friend saw one locked down and wasn't impressed. The kiosks could be doing more harm than good.

Assuming Pachter calls me back I'll see if I can shoehorn in a question about the 3DS, maybe 3D gaming in general. I doubt I'd have enough time to ask him, say, why he's always so wrong about Wii HD. :P

cloudeagle on
    edited April 2011
    "Mr. Pachter, why were you so far off with the WiiHD thing, and then even after being wrong you continued to *click* Hello? Hello?"

:lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Um...the 3DS kiosk at my local Best Buy does have a bigass cable bolted to it so you can lift it up. I imagined this was standard.

Gaslight on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Um...the 3DS kiosk at my local Best Buy does have a bigass cable bolted to it so you can lift it up. I imagined this was standard.

My local one has a rigid arm. I think they expect people just to use it like a DS, and not use the 3D.

Synthesis on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of kiosks, I remember the huge Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis displays at stores being the coolest thing to check out. At the store, they seemed like huge elaborate vaults filled with precious treasure, impossible to move or get into. I checked out some videos took a closer look at these things and what caught me off-guard was the simplicity.

By the way, here are s'more cliff notes from the investor meeting (some may have been said already);
    Vitality sensor still in development but challenge is its easy to make it work for 80% of people but very difficult for 99%

3ds title mentioned will be this fy, need success of others on platform otherwise cannot maintain platform, plan own titles areound 3rd paty

Made decision on wii successor announcement because of logistics for getting people to e3, still wants surprise at e3

Thinks its not a conflict between quality and quantity for games, if quality game then can maintain full value

Admitted previously relied too much on own, won't do everything on own, expect to see something on that at e3

Plans to launch beyond jp,eu,usa,aust this year for 3ds, need local product in particular but local taxes could reduce attractiveness

Sns - will accomodate in games but won't see nintendo games on non-nintendo hardware

Tablets - will be widely spread but thinks for better gaming response need buttons so won't have machines without buttons

Iwata claims have stats that says no difference in usage of sns users impact on ds, in japan actually found it increased ds game consump ...

Biohazard 2 june, zelda 16 june, tales of the abyss 30 june, starfox 14 jul, new title post summer, super mario shown at e3

Will launch end of may, title lineup improves for 3ds going forward- dead or alive 19 may, unlimited cruise 26 may

3ds- need to provide incentive to use streetpass and system updates- will offer free classic games, eshop and internet

Still pushing wii, will be releasing one title every month to push its performance, wii play motion new title

No new details on wii2, says its new concept and structure for console, details at e3

In japan active users declined from 51% in jul to 48% in jan but in usa it rose from 62% to 63%

Pokemon blackwhite has sold more than previous versions globally in same time frame

Eu, us 3ds second week sales were lower than expectations and "need to make efforts" to improve

Iwata admitting 3ds post second week is not meeting expectations, quake impact in japan but not sole impact

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, mine did too...but IIRC it had a strong magnet or something holding it down, to where you had to pull a bit to get it to come out, and you might assume you're stuck playing it right where it is.

AR actually wouldn't be hard to do with a tether, just print that question mark symbol on a horizontal surface.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I've been to three best buys... All the 3DS demo units are like this. Bigass cable bolting it down, and the 3DS unit itself "sticks" to its holder by a fairly strong magnet. I mean, sure, it looks like it's bolted to the kiosk, but if you lift it off its magnetic holder you can hold it comfortably to try it out.

slash000 on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

A 3D screen which doesn't need 3D glasses is a lot less gimmicky to me than motion controls that have to be shoehorned into most games and only half-work then anyway. I know I'm a lot more interested in the 3DS and the future lineup than anything about the Wii.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited April 2011
    The world still love their 'mons.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Oh my god.

I am giddy.

Ok, that's pretty awesome. You had better transcribe your whole conversation.

You know, I only heard the guy's name through this thread but I finally got to see him on CNN (or was it CNBC? Anyway....) Not what I was expecting. I was expecting some guy in his 20-30s with some tattoos and a shaved head (or at least a close cut hair cut) that pretty much does web-only stuff, not some dude who looks to be in his 40s with glasses, decent head of hair and wearing a suit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried Street Fighter and Mercenaries out at SXSW. I was like yep, thats Street Fighter/Mercenaries. Visual candy doesnt do anything for me though. I know it was a Capcom booth and not a Nintendo booth, but doing AR stuff may have been a better hook for some people. All Gamestops are/were running Street Fighter in their demo units.

Not much you can do about that though. Running AR demos is a much more involved affair. $250 is still so far out of the question that I dont care what the thing can do or how much its actually worth. I'm still on the fence about the $130 PSP, despite already having made a considerable list of games that are relevant to my interests.

I did the same thing at PAX East

I basically convinced myself that they're just not great games for the 3d implementation, and I could see it working really well, but if Gamestops are using Street Fighter for their kiosks I can't see that going well for them because I almost immediately thought to myself "Yeah, this is kind of cool, but the 3d makes it look needlessly fuzzy and I'd probably just turn it off"

Maddoc on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I almost feel like Nintendo should not have bothered with kiosks for the 3DS. And yah $250 is looking like a mistake. We should have known since Pachter said it would be a good idea.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3DS absolutely needs Kiosks

The effects aren't something you can communicate to customers without them actually holding it in their hands

Just from my own experience, I wasn't super impressed with the implementation in Street Fighter, and it is one of the (hopefully few) games on the system that probably look much better if you turn the 3D off

Maddoc on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do have an issue with the $250 price point for the 3DS - but I almost would have been willing to pay it if the games had remained around the $30 level and if they had a good solid downloadable launch library for $10ish per title. There were launch games I'd play, but not many I'd plunk down $40 for.

It immediately felt like the DS launch - where the software just wasn't there for months.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So basically the 3DS has 2 problems: 1. Price too high, and 2. not enough compelling games.

SSFIV is the best game on the system, it is extremely good and incredibly well done. However, that hardly has the broad mainstream appeal of something that the system needs to really compel a lot of people to buy the system, and certainly it needs more than one truly great game. PilotWings is good solid fun but there needs to be more. I am sure that this "issue" will be taken care of in the coming months, but it still has the price issue.

slash000 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I was at a local Best Buy and an older couple (early 50s or so) were looking at it for their kid/grandson's graduation/birthday. Of course, the 3DS was set to Mii Maker so I loaded up Pilotwings for them. The guy was blown away but the woman said that she was getting a headache (told me she had a problem with her inner ear and was deaf in one side) so I showed them the slider on the side.

They both liked the machine till they saw that it was $250, then the guy said "Maybe for Christmas since they'll probably have a deal or price drop or something."

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also gotta wonder if part of the problem is the various version of the DS. The DSi XL just came out last year and the DSi came out the year before that. This presents a number of potential problems:

1 - People who just bought the DSi or DSi XL a few months ago or a year ago are less likely to be willing to spend another $250 to replace it.
    2 - Less informed individuals may believe that the 3DS is yet another incremental improvement to the DS and not a full fledged new system.
    3 - People figure that since the DS got several enhancement versions of the hardware that the same thing will happen with the 3DS and so decide to wait for the new version.
    4 - The prices on the DSi and DSi XL make it hard for Nintendo to price the 3DS at $200 without dropping prices of the older hardware as well.

Oh and it's problematic when your biggest launch title is a port. A good portable port of a quality game, true, but a port nonetheless.

RainbowDespair on
    edited April 2011
    2 - Less informed individuals may believe that the 3DS is yet another incremental improvement to the DS and not a full fledged new system.

You know, there might be something to that theory. Especially since the 3DS looks almost exactly like the DS unless you examine it closely.

Meanwhile, this is edging toward tying global warming to the population of pirates, but it's still too good not to share:
    Erica Kane survived a dozen marriages across 40 seasons, along with car accidents, parental abandonment, and even toxemia. But was she done in by FarmVille.

Kane, the iconic All My Children character played by Susan Lucci since 1970, will cease to be this September when ABC plans to cancel both that show and One Life to Live, leaving just four soap operas on the air.

While the soap audience has been shrinking for decades, driven by more women in the workplace and a 200-channel universe, the genre's decline appears to have accelerated over the past few years with the meteoric rise of social gaming. When Zynga–publisher of massively popular Facebook games such as FarmVille and CityVille–arrived on the scene in 2007, both All My Children and One Life to Live were averaging a 1.9 rating among women 25-54. By 2011 the two shows were averaging 1.3 and 1.4 ratings respectively in that key viewer group. The drop is even steeper for other demographics. Meanwhile, by April 2009, Zynga was reaching 40 million monthly active players on Facebook, according to comScore. These days, the game has over 47 million players each month while the more recent hit, CityVille, attracts a staggering 88 million active participants.

Experts believe that soap viewers, particularly stay-at-home moms, are increasingly finding the connection inherent to social games far more compelling than the goings on in Pine Valley.

"Women at home used to have these virtual friends, these soap stars," says Maria Bailey author of Mom 3.0. "Now their virtual friends have come alive, and they don't need one-way conversations. I grew up on Susan Lucci, but Susan Lucci doesn't talk back to me."

This shift to social is rapidly changing how marketers go after the mom demo. "It's a more active, engaged medium," says Mitchell Reichgut, CEO of Jun Group, which specializes in social video campaigns. "We see a good portion of our business coming from packaged goods, and the biggest segment of that business is aimed at working moms. These brands are actively looking to be in social games."

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/zynga-kills-soaps-130951

cloudeagle on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everyone I've shown my 3DS to has been impressed with it (more impressed than me in fact).

I think they priced it as high as they could because they would prefer to make a fuckload of each money on each one and for their revenue to not be supply constrained. Based on what UK retailers are doing (dropping the price a bit) I think they were a little bit overambitious, but I am sure they're not going to have any trouble selling the console in the long run. There's a tonne of room for price drops, and they have many big franchises that are very effective at selling consoles.

LewieP on