As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hockey rules question [looks solved, thanks]

HevachHevach Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, there's been an argument brewing off and on with a couple friends since an OHL game better than a month ago before the end of the regular season. I've tried to answer this online, but everyone's found conflicting answers.

If the goalie is, say, by the half boards opposite the bench, is checking or shoving him still interference? OHL/CHL rules if it makes a difference, but aside from a coupe specific penalties being upgraded, I think the rules are pretty much the same as in the NHL.

Wikipedia suggests it's not, but the copy of Hockey For Dummies my friend has sounds like the goalie is always protected unless he leaves the crease for a fight. Second friend swears to God that just being where he was wasn't just game changingly goosey, but just being that far out should have been a penalty on the goalie.

Hevach on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    NHL rule in question:
    69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.

When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent.

Obviously differs from league to league, but I think the OHL operates under essentially NHL rules, no?

Also, goalies only receive a penalty for crossing the center ice line or playing the puck outside the stupid fucking trapezoid in terms of positioning, as far as I know.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks! That's pretty much exactly the situation, he made a (failed) play on the puck and was checked at the half board while a goal was scored. The goal was allowed, which pretty much cost the game. So looks like I was wrong, and it wasn't the right call.

Thanks again, all arguing about it seems to have settled is that every out of shape white guy in the city is positive they'd be a better goalie than anyone in the OHL.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much as enlightenedbum stated. In fact it's the same numbered rule in the OHL rulebook as the NHL. Although they have very similar rulebooks, it is always good to double check. I have known many arguements that have been created because "they have seen it in the NHL".

About the only thing a goalie can get a penalty positioning wise is by going over the red line, and by going to the bench during a non timeout break in play and a change in goaltending not occurring. But even then that is a Bench Minor.

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158