As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For me the thing that has justified the eShop is not any of the games or the browser, but these 3D videos. It's really awesome to be able to see these games looking just about like they will on the actual system. I even like that we get to download them, it makes them a (possibly) permanent bit of swag and they're good quality trailers, not just streamed.

Great stuff.

QFT

I do, however, wish there was a streaming option as they take an inordinate amount of time to download right now. Though that may be due to the current traffic.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Welp, looks like I'm fucked.

Took my 3DS to 5 different wi-fi hotspots today, and it wouldn't see any of them.

Also, Nintendo still hasn't updated their tech support phoneline for the 3DS, only Wiis and old DS's. Cute. Have to wait for an email response.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jonxp wrote: »
    Well, I now have $4.01 in my 3DS wallet thing, go fuck yourselves Nintendo.

$0.01 cash back on all purchases! Buy 599 games and get Link's Awakening Free!

641 games. Can't forget tax. :P Link's Awakening is totally worth the scratch, though. My favorite Zelda game, along with LTTP.
    Jishian wrote:
    That's cool. I like it.

I was watching youtube videos on my Wii browser and the status bar wouldn't go away, so I looked up the answer on my 3DS. Lot's of things are useless for finding help quickly. Paper strategy guides don't have Ctrl-F either, they suck!

Could it use more features? Probably. Will I use it anyway? Yes.
    Are you really defending the lack of a find feature in a web browser?

EDIT: Fun fact: the 3DS browser repeatedly times out, but loads (with errors) whenever I try to access Club Nintendo. :P It's good enough for me, though; all I wanted it for was so that I could get onto Starbucks and Barnes & Noble wi-fi. It seems about as usable as the PSP browser to me, though, which is pretty terrible.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mario 3DS has Zelda themed stages! JOY!

Algertman on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Took my 3DS to 5 different wi-fi hotspots today, and it wouldn't see any of them.

Also, Nintendo still hasn't updated their tech support phoneline for the 3DS, only Wiis and old DS's. Cute. Have to wait for an email response.

I hate to even ask this, but you do have the wireless slider on, right?

jothki on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    next level making luigi's mansion 2? awesome.

Guek on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »
    Well, I now have $4.01 in my 3DS wallet thing, go fuck yourselves Nintendo.

$0.01 cash back on all purchases! Buy 599 games and get Link's Awakening Free!

641 games. Can't forget tax. :P Link's Awakening is totally worth the scratch, though. My favorite Zelda game, along with LTTP.

I didn't get into Link's Awakening. I think by the time I had played it, I'd just finished LTTP, so I wasn't terribly interested.

Now? It's been two years or so since I've played a Zelda game. My body is ready.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I hate to even ask this, but you do have the wireless slider on, right?

Yep. And if I didn't, if you try to do Internet Setup when the slider's off, the system says "hey, flick the wireless slider on first, doofus".

Starting to wish I hadn't traded in my old DS for this one, so that I could test if it at least does local-connections.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For shits and giggles, have you tried messing with the DNS settings? The only way I could get mine to connect was to manually set 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS, and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Woo, got the Shop patch, nabbed the free Pokedex and Excitebike.

Are there any DSi games I should look at?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    For shits and giggles, have you tried messing with the DNS settings? The only way I could get mine to connect was to manually set 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS, and 8.8.4.4 as the secondary.

I think it's beyond that, considering I have tried a shit-ton of different hotspots.

edit: Also, for the record, last month the internet worked fine. I got the OK Go video update.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like tower defense games. That steampunk one looks appetizing.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      RakaiRakai Registered User regular
      edited June 2011

Shantae.

Rakai on
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      Art Style Aquia was a launch DSiWare title, and I still like it as one of my favorites (though I admittedly haven't paid much attention to DSiWare as of late). PictoBits is also great, with a killer soundtrack.

Lunker on
      Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    • Options
      agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Cool feature for VC, if you hold start when selecting the game it'll show up at the original res with a gameboy around it. It turns on the 3D slider, so the game looks like it's playing inside the gameboy.

agoaj on
      ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    • Options
      Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Rakai wrote: »

Shantae.

Yeah seriously.

Speaking of which, has anyone tried the relatively new DSiWare title from WayForward? I think it released a couple weeks ago. Is it any good? I was waiting for this 3DS eShop stuff to even bother looking at it to avoid the hassle of trying to transfer it over.

Edit:
      agoaj wrote: »
      Cool feature for VC, if you hold start when selecting the game it'll show up at the original res with a gameboy around it. It turns on the 3D slider, so the game looks like it's playing inside the gameboy.

Oh man, it's a little tiny but that is fucking fantastic. I'll take that over sprite smoothing :D

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited June 2011

The only site I know of that reviews every DSiware game:

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/games?sort=rating

I can personally recommend for being awesome:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (amazing platformer)
      Art Style: AQUITE/AQUIA (puzzle game with a neat aesthetic)
      Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (pixel puzzle game)
      Dark Void Zero (old school platformer)
      X-Scape (first person space shooter thing)
      Cave Story (another amazing platformer)
      Dr. Mario Express (classic puzzle game)
      Photo Dojo (simple but hilarious 2 player fighting game)
      Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon (wonderful pinball game...if it's available on the 3DS)
      Rayman (classic 2D platformer)

I haven't personally played these but they're supposed to be pretty great:

Mighty Flip Champs! (platform puzzler)
      Soul of Darkness (quality Castlevania knockoff)
      Inchworm Animation (full featured animation studio)
      Zenonia (great Zelda-style RPG)
      Ivy the Kiwi? Mini (weird little platform puzzler)
      Mighty Milky Way (gravity-based puzzler from the Shantae people)
      Dragon Quest Wars (tiny strategy game)
      Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (great puzzler)
      Castle of Magic (action platformer)
      Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (just...what)
      Chronos Twins (interesting dual screen mechanic action game)
      Plants vs. Zombies (duh)
      Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (if you haven't played it yet)
      Viking Invasion (tower defense)

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      agoaj wrote: »

Wow, that's really awesome. Makes the game look sharper too since you're playing at it's native ratio.

MarioG on
      Kay wrote:
      Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    • Options
      PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Cool, I'll keep those in mind for when the shop cards are sold in retail.

PaperLuigi44 on
    • Options
      DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Paper mario looks beautiful. The lack of it at e3 makes me nervous about its release date though.

Dritz on
      There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    • Options
      Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      I assume the answer is no, but is there anyway to assign buttons in the virtual console? Playing Mario Land with the A button higher than B is awkward and has led to more than a few unnecessary deaths. There's a reason every Mario designed for a controller with a diamond button layout has used the X button to run instead of B.

Chris FOM on
    • Options
      SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Dritz wrote: »
      Paper mario looks beautiful. The lack of it at e3 makes me nervous about its release date though.

To be honest, between kart and the other mario game, the end of this year is already pretty mario heavy already

Spoit on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      ikeachairikeachair Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Been thinking about picking up Dark Void Zero or Soul of darkness anyone have any idea how long either of them are?

ikeachair on
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Yea, I'm sure Paper Mario will be next year.

This year is all about the Kart and Tanooki! :D

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      ikeachairikeachair Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      The highlight of e3 to me so far has been getting the 3d trailers today, seeing Mario move in 3d space just looks so perfect.

Anyone else notice that part in the animal crossing trailer when when the dude was all of a sudden dressed like Link then grabbed a master sword? Only played the ds Animal Crossing before but is that a thing?

Holy fuck just opened my 3DS and it downloaded the POKEDEX all by its self, so thats strange.

edit: never mind my system just downloaded the icon but not the app its self.

ikeachair on
    • Options
      VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      sporky thanks for the list

bought one today after the nintendo presentation, pre ordered ocarina and bought the ghost recon strategy game. also grabbed Shantae.

I didn't know how sexy the system itself was. I realized I hadn't actually held one, only played one briefly at pax. sort of ignored it at release figuring I'd get it when ocarina was coming.

Variable on
      BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      I keep thinking how awesome SSB4 is going to be having it both for the Wu and 3DS...I've been wanting a portable Smash Bros forever now. :D

Brainiac 8 on
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      Some Darksiders 2 talk:
      "I think it’s cool, and the nice thing for us is that it’s compatible with what we’re doing. For me personally, I love Nintendo. I love Zelda. I love Mario, and I’ve never actually made a game that’s gone on a Nintendo platform, so for me that’s just awesome. I think that if you look at the Darksiders franchise, it’s a little more mature, but it has that similar aesthetic to a Nintendo game. I feel like it’s a natural fit from a gameplay and platform perspective." - Vigil general manager David Adams

"We’re not interested in any gimmicky stuff like with the Wii launch games, where it was basically like, this is exactly like a normal game except every once in a while you jab your controller at the screen to jump or something. I think the new system is better than the Wii controller in that it has a couple features that core games like ours can leverage and make use of." - Vigil technical director Colin Bonstead

"Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/06/07/could-project-caf-233-be-the-best-platform-for-darksiders-ii.aspx

Brainiac 8 on
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      UK eShop now has Link's Awakening but still no 3D vids other than OoT and DoA.

Come on! There's no reason for this.

Jam Warrior on
      MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
      edited June 2011

The reason is that we are a filthy Sony-centric region that is not worthy of Nintendo's shining countenance gazing upon us.

I'm pretty hacked off with the UK version of the e-shop actually - you have to buy in denominations of £10, when many games are £3-£5, all of the prices end in completely ridiculous amounts like .50, .70 or .80, and they raised the sodding prices for games when they were already a bit iffy. Shantae cost £8.40 under existing Nintendo points (or £6 if you grabbed a cheap Nintendo points card at retail), and now costs £10.80 on 3DS.

It also annoys me because I know this will never change - Nintendo don't do sales, don't permanently reduce prices, don't bundle on digital stuff. A huge swathe of the 3DS's functionality is going to be crippled in the UK by incredibly poor pricing choices, and I don't have faith that Nintendo will respond to poor sales with any other tactic than prioritising the UK even less.

Bioptic on
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      Yea, I'm sure Paper Mario will be next year.

This year is all about the Kart and Tanooki! :D

Nonono, PM is going to be this year and it's going to be amazing and give out hugs and cure cancer and

PaperLuigi44 on
    • Options
      AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Bioptic wrote: »

The reason is that we are a filthy Sony-centric region that is not worthy of Nintendo's shining countenance gazing upon us.

I'm pretty hacked off with the UK version of the e-shop actually - you have to buy in denominations of £10, when many games are £3-£5, all of the prices end in completely ridiculous amounts like .50, .70 or .80, and they raised the sodding prices for games when they were already a bit iffy. Shantae cost £8.40 under existing Nintendo points (or £6 if you grabbed a cheap Nintendo points card at retail), and now costs £10.80 on 3DS.

It also annoys me because I know this will never change - Nintendo don't do sales, don't permanently reduce prices, don't bundle on digital stuff. A huge swathe of the 3DS's functionality is going to be crippled in the UK by incredibly poor pricing choices, and I don't have faith that Nintendo will respond to poor sales with any other tactic than prioritising the UK even less.

I haven't tried myself yet, but can't you just set your region to US or wherever and download from the US store, paying US prices?

AnteCantelope on
    • Options
      LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Bioptic wrote: »

I haven't tried myself yet, but can't you just set your region to US or wherever and download from the US store, paying US prices?

Nope, you can only set it to other PAL regions. That's why I can't change my region to the US to buy Cave Story, though I can change to the UK to buy Shantae.

Lorahalo on
      I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      ikeachair wrote: »
      Been thinking about picking up Dark Void Zero or Soul of darkness anyone have any idea how long either of them are?

Here's Dark Void Zero's review. I can tell you from playing it that it has three "levels," and each level is about as big as a single area from a Metroid game, if that helps any. Like in Super Metroid, the size of Brinstar or Maridia. It's not played like a Metroid game though - the gameplay has similarities with the shooting and exploration, but you don't move between the three areas as much as you want, they are strictly levels. But each level takes a bit of exploring, lots of single challenges to open a door elsewhere.

It makes up for its fairly small size by being reasonably difficult, and also only $5 (if it is still $5).

I don't know much about Soul of Darkness, here's one review, they don't really say how long it is. But it sure sounds pretty cool. Actually I might pick it up sometime here.

EDIT: Here's Destructoid's review. They say it has 11 levels and a 2 hour playtime. That's...not a lot, but again, it's only $5.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      soul of darkness I played for about an hour before and I'm around 30% done

it is pretty good fun

Variable on
      BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      In light of the recent "no price drop" mention in E3 I'll be picking one of these bad boys up either this weekend or next. More likely next. I seriously cannot wait!

urahonky on
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      So what new 3DS stuff got announced so far? I saw Sporky post a video of The Rolling Western in another thread, which looks like an action/Tower Defense hybrid vaguely akin to Brutal Legend with an armadillo (!), but what else? I came away from the Nintendo presser pretty bummed about little new 3DS stuff from third parties, has anything else been unveiled?

Lunker on
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      This is what Nintendo is showing so far. Heroes of Ruin would probably have been bigger news if they hadn't shown it a week or two ago. Is Square Enix even at E3 at all this year? I feel like I've seen nothing from them.

UncleSporky on
    • Options
      edited June 2011
      Rolling Western looks fantastic.

I wonder why no word of it at all.

Brainiac 8 on
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Add me!
    • Options
      anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      So no new re-design was announced, right?

I'm still looking to buy a 3DS, especially after hearing about the new games. So if anyone knows of any deals, online or off, I'd love to hear about them.

anoffday on
      Steam: offday