As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

1939495969799»

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Shawn got a little more creative with his DB entries this time. I love them. I usually skipped them in previous games.

I'm not far in but it's pretty good so far. Not sure how it will measure up to AssBro in the long run, but it's better than Revelations so far.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    YOU CAN PET THE DOGS THAT FOLLOW YOU GOTY

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You know I have to say the most interesting thing I've read in the database is...and this is something that explained an inconsistency I found with the game.

*story spoilers*
    I thought it was weird that Lee and them would start the fire that ended up destroying your village/killing your mother after they'd just told you to deliver a message.

Turns out that they didn't, it was Washington's troop that did it.

So not only is Connor going after the wrong guys, he's helping the people that he's actually after.

Talk about irony.

Dragkonias on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    So King Washington is the DLC? I saw an add for it, so I guess it isn't a spoiler.
    So is it alternate history, same world, new bad guys?

steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    you can pet cows, cats, dogs, sheep, and goats

but rabbits... rabbits must be shanked

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Machismo wrote: »
    So King Washington is the DLC? I saw an add for it, so I guess it isn't a spoiler.
    So is it alternate history, same world, new bad guys?

Alternate history mission

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, wait, they're REALLY going to keep that bit buried in a DLC pack? That's sort of pretty fucking important to the story, and only completely defined the ending of AssBro, and they're content with leaving it resolved and segregated to a piece of fucking DLC?!?

God Fucking DAMMIT, Ubisoft! I am this goddamn close to instituting a blanket ban on all Ubi published games.

What in the heck are you talking about?

The ending question from Brotherhood.
    AKA, why the fuck did Lucy get shanked.

Yes, i know it's answered in a piece of Rev DLC that I didn't buy. That's the problem. You do not lock up key plot elements behind paywalls.

• spinal77spinal77 Registered User regular
    So, wait, they're REALLY going to keep that bit buried in a DLC pack? That's sort of pretty fucking important to the story, and only completely defined the ending of AssBro, and they're content with leaving it resolved and segregated to a piece of fucking DLC?!?

God Fucking DAMMIT, Ubisoft! I am this goddamn close to instituting a blanket ban on all Ubi published games.

What in the heck are you talking about?

The ending question from Brotherhood.
    AKA, why the fuck did Lucy get shanked.

Yes, i know it's answered in a piece of Rev DLC that I didn't buy. That's the problem. You do not lock up key plot elements behind paywalls.

Crap. I never got that DLC either. I'm in the same boat. Is there an explanation somewhere?

fs_lastplayed.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    spinal77 wrote: »
    Crap. I never got that DLC either. I'm in the same boat. Is there an explanation somewhere?

@spinal77, It is located in the wiki, go read it.

@Houn, er yeah everyone does that. Halo has 90% of its plot located in "paywalls" called books and even cartoons. FFXIII-2 has various plot elements located in DLC. Various games have expansions that you need to pay extra for. Mass Effect DLC constantly has an effect on the plot. I agree that it SHOULD have been in Revelations proper, but really.
    You're gonna take your ball and go home over Lucy? Hell, when Juno was making you do it, she outright says that Lucy will destroy your group and ruin everything before making you stab her. All you didn't know was why that was (or if she was lying). The DLC goes "she was bad and yes Juno was telling the truth." WOAH, mind blown.
    I'm not saying it's best practice or anything, but it's an annoyance not a "NEVER AGAIN, UBISOFT!!!" deal.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    spinal77 wrote: »

@spinal77, It is located in the wiki, go read it.

@Houn, er yeah everyone does that. Halo has 90% of its plot located in "paywalls" called books and even cartoons. FFXIII-2 has various plot elements located in DLC. Various games have expansions that you need to pay extra for. Mass Effect DLC constantly has an effect on the plot. I agree that it SHOULD have been in Revelations proper, but really.
    You're gonna take your ball and go home over Lucy? Hell, when Juno was making you do it, she outright says that Lucy will destroy your group and ruin everything before making you stab her. All you didn't know was why that was (or if she was lying). The DLC goes "she was bad and yes Juno was telling the truth." WOAH, mind blown.
    I'm not saying it's best practice or anything, but it's an annoyance not a "NEVER AGAIN, UBISOFT!!!" deal.

Ending one game at a cliffhanger and resolving with paid DLC for a separete game is a really shitty, shitty practice. At the least it should have been addressed in AC3 clearly.

edited October 2012
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ending one game at a cliffhanger and resolving with paid DLC for a separete game is a really shitty, shitty practice. At the least it should have been addressed in AC3 clearly.

This is my point entirely, and why I'm torn between wanting to stab more mans in AC3 and in not rewarding this behavior with cash.

I'm leaning toward "used copy" at the moment.

Houn on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You can have fun with a game and the game makers can still be horrible dicks with how they do dlc/story/cliffhanger stuff.

This can happen.

I'm just letting people know so they don't get confused when leaping to defend...

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Initial Liberation impressions (not first hand, collated from a variety of fun sources!) say it's opening sequence is beyond fuckawful. Like, Revelations? No sir. No. Terrible. And then it gets better n' better, but never reaches ACII levels of quality. It appears to be glitchy as heck, but apparently it shares this with ACIII - same level on that front, apparently.

Apparently Aveline is fun, but the story is bland on the face of things. Since we know the game is self censored and may open up later, this might be intentional, but a questionable direction anyway. :I

Oh also the multiplayer is the worst. It's a tacked on strategy boardgame that doesn't work, and requires a hard reset to exit. So far it's sounding like it was rushed out the door with a bulletpoint list of requirements that the devs didn't really care about.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I'm not surprised about the AC:Liberation news, ubisoft probably cut funding to the game as soon as it was apparent that they were burning money. It does suck for vita owners though, it was one of the last games that seemed really good on the horizon.

hLeTR.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Initial Liberation impressions (not first hand, collated from a variety of fun sources!) say it's opening sequence is beyond fuckawful. Like, Revelations? No sir. No. Terrible. And then it gets better n' better, but never reaches ACII levels of quality. It appears to be glitchy as heck, but apparently it shares this with ACIII - same level on that front, apparently.

Apparently Aveline is fun, but the story is bland on the face of things. Since we know the game is self censored and may open up later, this might be intentional, but a questionable direction anyway. :I

Oh also the multiplayer is the worst. It's a tacked on strategy boardgame that doesn't work, and requires a hard reset to exit. So far it's sounding like it was rushed out the door with a bulletpoint list of requirements that the devs didn't really care about.
    Stop reading shitty opinions FFS. Multiplayer works fine and the opening sequence is much better than Revelations.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Character question....
    Was Cross in any other AC media? He pops out like we should know him, but I don't remember him. Was he in AssRev or something? It's the only one I haven't played

Speaking of which....
    A modern day mission! In and out of a Manhattan highrise! *SQUEE!*

The game really picks up after Sequence 4 or so. So much stuff to do.

One final question: what am I supposed to do when soldiers line up to take a shot at me? I know I can grab another soldier as a human shield, but I'm not sure how to actually do it.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    This is my point entirely, and why I'm torn between wanting to stab more mans in AC3 and in not rewarding this behavior with cash.

Or just mail the company. No really, that is a thing that you can do. They have no way of determining that your "lost sale" is a protest of some kind. An unheard protest is not really a protest.

edited October 2012
    Yeah chasing chickens is a blast

What I have seen of the gameplay looks fun, if a little repetitive. Like it's got more in common with ACI than the others? The draw distance ain't great, and a viewpoint sync will pull a full circle of glaring pop ups, so you gotta wonder why they'd even bother letting you see that far. This isn't stuff that bothers me so much as complaints about the touch controls - they were a fucking hassle in Gravity Rush (sliding, ugh) and they sound like a hassle here.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Character question....
    Was Cross in any other AC media? He pops out like we should know him, but I don't remember him. Was he in AssRev or something? It's the only one I haven't played

Speaking of which....
    A modern day mission! In and out of a Manhattan highrise! *SQUEE!*

The game really picks up after Sequence 4 or so. So much stuff to do.

One final question: what am I supposed to do when soldiers line up to take a shot at me? I know I can grab another soldier as a human shield, but I'm not sure how to actually do it.

Just walk up to another soldier and press A(360)/X(PS3)

Or just mail the company. No really, that is a thing that you can do. They have no way of determining that your "lost sale" is a protest of some kind. An unheard protest is not really a protest.

Eh, they don't give a shit about my opinion. I cannot influence their business decisions, but I can chose how to spend my money. You're right, though, it's not a real "protest". It's just me making a choice that affects me and me alone.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

Eh, they don't give a shit about my opinion. I cannot influence their business decisions, but I can chose how to spend my money. You're right, though, it's not a real "protest". It's just me making a choice that affects me and me alone.

Actually, if everyone who felt this was did exactly this and flat-out told the company that they were voting with their dollars and not buying their game due to something like this, it would make a difference.

It's like writing to your elected officials. It's actually effective, but nobody does it then just complains like that will accomplish something.

Instead we have assholes getting paid shitloads of money to be industry analysts and telling publishers to keep pumping out CoD clones.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705

What I have seen of the gameplay looks fun, if a little repetitive. Like it's got more in common with ACI than the others? The draw distance ain't great, and a viewpoint sync will pull a full circle of glaring pop ups, so you gotta wonder why they'd even bother letting you see that far. This isn't stuff that bothers me so much as complaints about the touch controls - they were a fucking hassle in Gravity Rush (sliding, ugh) and they sound like a hassle here.

The chicken you're chasing is part of the f'n tutorial and lasts less than a minute. You going to start whining about collecting feathers for your sister in AC2 as well? Christ.

Quit whining about something you CLEARLY haven't played.

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Oh my God these first few sequences
    Forget Connor I want to play as this guy the whole game

Wait for it...

What the fuckkkk

The chicken you're chasing is part of the f'n tutorial and lasts less than a minute. You going to start whining about collecting feathers for your sister in AC2 as well? Christ.

I uh, I did say I was watching gameplay, not playing it. So apologies if you thought I was trying to say I had? :I

The chicken thing was a joke. The entire opening sequence looks dull, that's just the standout funny moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vita, and AC, got every intention of grabbing Liberation at the first available opportunity. Just saying, positive reactions on it seem scarce.

Oh brilliant
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    And here I thought it was nice to finally have people with British accents not be the villains

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Sequence 7:
    It super bothers me that Connor didn't just run up to Charles Lee and shank him as soon as he saw him.

How exactly does he justify not killing him on the spot, or at the very least immediately trailing him home and shanking him in a dark alley?

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ugh, I think I need to stay out of this thread until I beat the game. I'm mostly in it to read about multiplayer stuff, but I'm getting bits and pieces of spoilers just from reading between the lines and not clicking on spoiler tags.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Sequence 7:
    It super bothers me that Connor didn't just run up to Charles Lee and shank him as soon as he saw him.

How exactly does he justify not killing him on the spot, or at the very least immediately trailing him home and shanking him in a dark alley?
    probably a bad idea to just murder him in the middle of all the american leaders like that

as for following him home, the templars are just as good at hiding as the assassins are

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited October 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Sequence 7:

probably a bad idea to just murder him in the middle of all the american leaders like that

as for following him home, the templars are just as good at hiding as the assassins are

Not to mention...

Sequence 9 stuff
    Connor actually does attack Lee...

He gets manhandled. Though you're unarmed when that happens for story reasons.

Dragkonias on

I uh, I did say I was watching gameplay, not playing it. So apologies if you thought I was trying to say I had? :I

The chicken thing was a joke. The entire opening sequence looks dull, that's just the standout funny moment.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Vita, and AC, got every intention of grabbing Liberation at the first available opportunity. Just saying, positive reactions on it seem scarce.

So what if you watched a video of it?

The opening sequence is fine. Is it lower budget than the other AC's? Yeah but you'd have to be an idiot not to expect that. Ubisoft throws a shitload of money into each main AC installment because it's their Call of Duty, the one thing that keeps their entire company afloat. They were never going to do that with a portable installment.

And I've seen plenty of positive reactions, some of which prefer it to AC3. The most negative I've seen has been from YOU and you haven't even played the bloody game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    New AC Thread here!

Let's go people! Onward to victory!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Do I want Frame Packed or Inficolor? I'm not sure what the differences are.

Also, I like Liberation so far. It's a little bit janky but seems to run well once you get past the intro. I like it. Not very far into it yet but that's okay.

Inficolor requires special purple/green glasses and can be used without a 3DTV.
    Frame packing is what you use if you have a 3DTV.

Thanks!

Not sure I want to play in 3D. Seems a bit darker and I fucking hate wearing glasses but I guess we'll see. I'll play through a few more chapters with it.

3D is kinda nifty though.

The 3D in revelations was kind of messed up. It uses a post-conversion technique that doesn't cost much in the way of CPU power (largely because to render two identical scenes is now way beyond this generation of consoles) so the effect isn't as good as "true" 3D. I imagine AC3 uses a similar technique.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So this is my first AC game and I'm really trying to enjoy it, but to be honest the controls are really throwing me for a loop here. Is there something I'm missing, or are they just inherently really clunky? I mean, it's at the point where I inadvertently walk around and shoot/attack things when I don't actually intend to, and yet still can't manage to pull off a real "assassination" (anything involving redcoats inevitably turns into a very public brawl and I'm left running for the hills).

Please tell me that there's some sort of special key combination or "way of doing things" that is assumed but that I'm somehow missing here...