As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of might and men [Weightlifting]

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    Yeah that thing looks pretty sweet. Not $6,000 sweet, but you know.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thats REALLY cool but six grand I'd be getting a bar, weights, cage, prowler, and all kinds of other goodies. I'm sure someone out there is crazy about rock climbing and loves it though. Though for six grand you'd think they'd just go to a rock climbing gym.......or use the money they would normally use as toilet paper that week and buy a mountain.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    went and toured the gym. 2 benches, 2 squat racks, 1 cable machine, free weights, various speed bags, heavy bags, and conditioning equipment. $300 annually. Only have a couple days to think about it - I came in way at the end of the sale.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    went and toured the gym. 2 benches, 2 squat racks, 1 cable machine, free weights, various speed bags, heavy bags, and conditioning equipment. $300 annually. Only have a couple days to think about it - I came in way at the end of the sale.

I pay 480 a year at my gym, while it has every weight machine you can think of, what you named there is everything I use any,more plus more boxing equipment. Sounds like a steal as long as it's not insanely crowded and the people aren't jagoffs.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    the wook wrote: »
    Drijen wrote: »
    Jesus christ that is intense. He looks like he has orangutan arms but still that is just a frightening way to lift a bar.

it is fucking hard. i tried doing deadlifts that way and could barely pull 225

It's like doing hack squats with a bar in that you think you can do a lot more and then you find out how little leverage you have.

I always did feel hack squats were inordinately hard.

I jumped on the hack squat machine around the time I was first squatting ~185, and figured I'd be able to do two 45lb. plates with no problem, what with it being the Fake Squat Machine and all. It was much tougher than I thought it'd be -- though I was going to a pretty extreme ROM.

Also: how do we feel about starting a deadlift with back (arched hard) parallel to the floor?

EDIT: This is in regards to the 45-degree sled-style machine.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://youtu.be/AmLHObdrS2s

I want it. All of it.

Hold on a sec.

*checks pants*

Mother of God! That gym is heaven!

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    Good week so far. Finally doing 3x5 at 185 on the bench and feel like I'll move up again next week after I made 1x3 at 205 so I'm edging quickly toward that 225. Made 315 on squats finally and 345 on deadlifts, made 165 on power cleans and 145 on overhead press. Slow but satisfying progress. Bench has always been my weakest lift, so I'm happy with the progress so far.

I'm still feeling a little pain in my left side joints, pretty heavily at the elbow, less so at the shoulder and very minor in the knee.

Good job! 315# is good, 325# comes next and 335# after that. You can do it, you have it in you, now just do it!

big l on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's pretty badass. Keep skinning my knees on the grips and such. Which ain't that bad. Pretty ingenious how it works too. No motors, it just works off of your bodyweight.

Holyshit I want one.

How much are they?

Blake T on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, and my left heel is just killing me still, inside of it, just a good amount of pain, tried massaging the area, icing it and all that but still feels like a mess. I have to tilt my foot to keep pressure off the big toe half of it or I get some pain. Not good.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. Ice it as much as you can stand. Other than that, it's going to take time. And plantar fasciitis takes a long time to recover from. Some people get some relief from taping the arch up tightly. Kinda depends on how bad it is and your biomechanics.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i pay like 800 a year for my gym
    but
    given my location, c'est la vie

gonna go to the gym today

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    going hiking this morning! Can't wait. It's one of my favorite forms of exercise.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How effective are heavy triples for progressing on the bench? I've been between 185 - 200 lbs. for literally a year now, and nothing I do seems to help it.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hit a deadlift pr, then slept 14 hours.

In other news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tmDQJQSC8&feature=related

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Welp, i'm having a serious skin reaction due to rare allergy skin rash side-effects of this cold medicine i've been taking. It started off small but it's getting pretty serious, and if I don't fix it now i'll be getting burn-victim effects on my hands.

No weight training today :(

EDIT: I just found out to cure this might involve a steroid shot :shock:

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Welp, i'm having a serious skin reaction due to rare allergy skin rash side-effects of this cold medicine i've been taking. It started off small but it's getting pretty serious, and if I don't fix it now i'll be getting burn-victim effects on my hands.

No weight training today :(

EDIT: I just found out to cure this might involve a steroid shot :shock:

Steroids are a broad category of molecule. You're thinking of anabolic steroids, which mimic the effects of testosterone (also a steroid!), but steroids can include other things like cholesterol. Some steroid medications are anti-inflammatory, which is probably why your doctor's recommending it.

the_more_you_know.jpg

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's also worth noting that the steroid you'll be prescribed will be catabolic if it's for an inflammation.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh, and my left heel is just killing me still, inside of it, just a good amount of pain, tried massaging the area, icing it and all that but still feels like a mess. I have to tilt my foot to keep pressure off the big toe half of it or I get some pain. Not good.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis. Ice it as much as you can stand. Other than that, it's going to take time. And plantar fasciitis takes a long time to recover from. Some people get some relief from taping the arch up tightly. Kinda depends on how bad it is and your biomechanics.

Yeah that looks about right thanks. Going to see a doc for it monday if it isn't getting better.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    SLAMMUSLAMMU Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So my ankle is healing up nicely and I'm looking to get on weight training routine instead of just bjj/muay thai. I have a bar, bench, and a (sort of) squat rack in my back yard. Only about 175# of weight total though.
    There is a very nice 24 hour gym walking distance from my house, can join for about $30 a month and it has a pool and various cardio equipment, plus enough benches/squat racks that I dont think overcrowding will be a problem.
    Do you guys think I would be ahead to join that or just scrounge around for some additional plates for my home setup?

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    If you have a bar, a bench, and a squat rack, you won't really require anything else to get really strong. Buying some more weight would be cheaper long-term than paying 30$ a month ad infinitum.

I'd be using a home setup if I could.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My only hesitation, which i left from the first post from some reason, is I will be moving at some point in the next 6 months and I doubt I'll be able to bring weight equipment with me. So I guess my question is $150-180 for access to more weight and cardio equipment a better idea than trying to find more plates for less money, even though I'll have to get rid of them later.

Also my squat rack is so half assed probably shouldn't even call it that, its more of "posts set up that I can set weight on". Even a low 175 its kinda hard to rerack the weight towards the end of my sessions

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SLAMMU wrote: »
    So my ankle is healing up nicely and I'm looking to get on weight training routine instead of just bjj/muay thai. I have a bar, bench, and a (sort of) squat rack in my back yard. Only about 175# of weight total though.
    There is a very nice 24 hour gym walking distance from my house, can join for about $30 a month and it has a pool and various cardio equipment, plus enough benches/squat racks that I dont think overcrowding will be a problem.
    Do you guys think I would be ahead to join that or just scrounge around for some additional plates for my home setup?

I've been doing MMA and lifting a bit, let me know what you find works for you, I'm still not 100% on my routine. I do an hour of muay thai followed by an hour of BJJ twice a week.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    edited April 2011

I've been doing MMA and lifting a bit, let me know what you find works for you, I'm still not 100% on my routine. I do an hour of muay thai followed by an hour of BJJ twice a week.

Right now my schedule is kicking my ass but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I do some weight work 2 days a week, an hour of muay thai and bjj 2 days, and then on fridays i do an hour of bjj followed by an hour of no-gi bjj.

Honestly it feels like the 2 days of weights is enough for me to improve pretty steadily but I always end up with a good bit of free time towards 7 or 8 nights, especially on nights that I don't go to train and I want to add in bit more work but I'm not sure what to do.

I sprained my ankle pretty bad in muay thai mabye 3 weeks ago and am just starting to come back from it, so I guess thats why I want to put more focus on weights at least for the time being

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My only hesitation, which i left from the first post from some reason, is I will be moving at some point in the next 6 months and I doubt I'll be able to bring weight equipment with me. So I guess my question is $150-180 for access to more weight and cardio equipment a better idea than trying to find more plates for less money, even though I'll have to get rid of them later.

Also my squat rack is so half assed probably shouldn't even call it that, its more of "posts set up that I can set weight on". Even a low 175 its kinda hard to rerack the weight towards the end of my sessions

That's really up to you. If I had to get rid of the weights before the move I'd just use the gym, then.

In other news, I'm trying to incorporate this conditioning workout into my daily routine, but it's a bit too hardcore for me right now. My form is shaky so I'm going to practice with a pvc pipe until I get it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQomPP4uDFg&feature=player_embedded

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    damn thats awesome

webguy20 on
  • Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's pretty cool seeing results in everyday life. I skipped the gym today to move concrete border out of my yard, onto a truck then into a landfill. I moved all this stuff once last year, and doing two blocks at a time nearly killed me.

This year I was throwing them around three at a time with no effort and my back is fine afterwards (thanks deadlifts!).

When the landfill gave us our receipt, it was over 2700 pounds of concrete total. Made me feel pretty badass. Just one of those moments where I thought, "yeah, this is why I'm busting my ass." A bigman performance in a bigman job.

Huxley on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    doing the mobility wod where you stretch out your shoulder so you can raise your hands above your head straighter is cool because you can visibly see the difference doing one arm at a time

and i learned why lacrosse balls are painful as fuckkkkk

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I really like that mobility wod site. Mobility started out a distant third behind strength and conditioning for me, and it really shouldn't have.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    @SLAMMU, I vastly prefer a home setup, even an meager one, as long as you can do heavy squats safely. Gyms force you to either wait for everyone else or go at a godawful hour. I am also averse to any travel time which is not absolutely necessary. And it's just way more cost effective to buy a few more plates. How difficult do you think it would be to get your equipment to your new place? Or are we talking pretty much impossible? If that's the case, I guess you don't have a choice.

@Brucelee, clinical trials show no correlation between creatine use and cramps. It may be that it's reacting with something else you're taking that hasn't ever been tested for, but it's more likely that it's unrelated.

That said, creatine isn't that important. Its benefits, depending on the study, are relatively minor to nonexistent for anyone that isn't working at a competitive level. It's probably better to save your money.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Oh, and the current routine I'm looking to spice up:
    Day 1:
    Bench: 5/3/1
    A: T-Bar Row/Squat - 4x8
    B: Incline Bench/Lunge - 3x5
    C: Pullover/Leg Extension - 3x12
    D: Dips/Pullup - 3xfailure
    Ab work in between everything

Day 2:
    Press: 5/3/1
    A: Upright Row/Concentration Curl - 3x10+
    B: Neutral-Grip DB Press/Wide Grip Curl - 3x10+
    C: Raises/Close Grip Curl - 3x10+
    All curls done in power cage (praising self while saying "bro")

Day 3:
    Sumo Deadlift: 5/3/1
    A: Shrug 3x8 / Reverse Curl 3x10+
    B: RDL 3x5 / Forearm Curl 3x10+
    C: Hamstring Curl / Reverse Forearm Curl 3x10+
    Ab work in between everything

Day 4:
    A: Wide-Grip Bench 5x10 /Curls 3x10+
    B: Bent Over Row/different Curls 3x10+
    C: French Press/even more Curls 3x10+
    D: Dips/Chin up 3xfailure
    All curls done in front of mirror in power cage (shirtless, oiled)

Day 5:
    A: Press (not set on what to do, but I do a lot of it all the same)/Squat 4x8
    B: Upright Row/Lunge - 3x10
    C: DB Press/Leg Extension - 3x10+
    D: Raises/Hamstring Curl - 3x10+
    Abs in between everything

It's fun enough, but I always feel like I could do a little bit more, although this is taking enough time out of my day already. I'm coming off a vacation so I should probably just stick with this and see if I burn out or not, but I just feel like I could be working harder. I'm giving shrugs, upright rows and behind the neck presses another shot this month and they're all working out okay, and I'm going to give cleans and front squats their time next month. If anyone has some fun exercises that don't begin with "Turkish" or "Zercher" I'm open to suggestions.

Suitcase deadlifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcVu6uXOe4U

Single-arm snatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRrlvy_7kM

Bent press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcVlxdTzwf8

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Suitcase deadlift looks entertaining, but man, that bent press guy is going to hurt his wrist some day and he has nobody to blame but himself.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, well the bad news is that I wasn't able to hit up the gym as planned today. We had to jump around a few emergency rooms before finding the right kind of clinic that wasn't going to charge $TEXAS, so by the time I left I pretty much had to jet home, change, and go straight to work. I just got back from there, and the gym I have closes at 9:30 so i'll have to wait till tomorrow evening after my next shift.

So that's about a two-day break I had from lifting, but I got around 9 months to get this curriculum straight now that i'm starting to have a regular schedule built up so i'm not worried. It's just a simple adjustment mode i'm making; by the end of this week i'll have a day-in, day-out routine iron clad.

Also I had to get a steroid shot in my bee-hind, so i'm a bit sore. Kinda glad I didn't do any squats/deadlifts :P

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Anosognos wrote: »
    @SLAMMU, I vastly prefer a home setup, even an meager one, as long as you can do heavy squats safely. Gyms force you to either wait for everyone else or go at a godawful hour. I am also averse to any travel time which is not absolutely necessary. And it's just way more cost effective to buy a few more plates. How difficult do you think it would be to get your equipment to your new place? Or are we talking pretty much impossible? If that's the case, I guess you don't have a choice.

I will be moving from a house with a backyard to an apartment about 350 miles away. I've decided that even though it would still be cheaper to just get more weights I'm probably gonna just join the gym, don't want to have to deal with getting rid of all the extra equipment when it comes time to move

SLAMMU on
    SLAMMU-1.png
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aight. Different people got different priorities. I hope you find a good one where you're going.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    These look interesting. I haven't tried any of them personally, though.

Glute bridges:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03rSrFdq9P0

2 hand anyhow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn6MR4wUq4I

Heavy one-armed push presses:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlMXpol818&feature=related

Bottom position squat (I love how Brooks growls in this vid)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXfo_hKO__M

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    First week of 5/3/1 down. Swapping to 4 days of work instead of 3 and picking up the serious volume increase on the 5x10@50% repeat lift for accessory work has left me beat but feeling just great. Getting the kind of soreness and 'good workout heat' that I lost awhile ago with my prior routine and I am legitimately looking forward to going back Monday for more which is another good change; I was getting some serious burnout with a more varied but unfocused lifting schedule.

Plus my shoulders feel like they belong on a Greek statue so even if they don't look like that I'll take it!

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Windmill & Chug:

Irish Weightlifting

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok...so that glute bridges video. He is basically fucking the air while looking up another mans shorts. I mean seriously just cut to the chase. Why go about the whole "weightlifting" charade?

webguy20 on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Windmill & Chug:

Irish Weightlifting

I feel like I saw a completely different video of that exact same 'complex'. Needless to say it was equally as motivating.

Drijen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So I could use some advice on some quick, high-calorie food items I can eat in the morning whenever i'm in a hurry. If I could knock in around 800-1000 every morning that would be great.

I only ask two things:

1) Something that isn't extremely unhealthy. I may be bread thin, but I still have standards. I'd rather shave off a few calories if it means dropping an assload of sodium/cholesterol in the long run.

2) No Peanut Butter.

Period.

I am so, so sick of peanut butter. I had to eat it all the time last year, and it always took forever to eat. No more.

So any suggestions?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    High calorie and fast? There's pean-ohhhh. You could drink some olive oil, maybe? If you really just want to chew down calories find something you can put cream cheese on and go from there. You can even just skip right to the cream cheese if you're feeling sassy.

EDIT - I swear I've seen something similar to glute bridges you do with a bench, although I think they were less overtly gay. The bottom position squat seems interesting, although I was thinking of trying box squats. I've been reading up on them, and I figure they could do me some good.

A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.