Options

Taupeian [chat]

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There needs to be an easier way to point out mistakes you find in science articles. Emailing the contact will just be met with silence or a blunt refusal to accept that they cocked up.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    There needs to be an easier way to point out mistakes you find in science articles. Emailing the contact will just be met with silence or a blunt refusal to accept that they cocked up.

I've had good results with ether.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    so i guess benadryl isn't so hot for my alertness. i feel like shit this morning.

Shotgunnin' Red Bull erryday

It increases your potential to monetize human suffering by at least 30%!

again, i'm not gooey.

Look, all I know about you two is:
    -Those guys who played L4D back in the day and didn't get us killed (cough nexus cough)
    -One makes a living by grinding poor people into some sort of money-distillable paste
    -One drills oil or strip mines on the moon or some shit

And you've got the memory of a savant, at least when it comes to the forums.
    i design space suits and other space stuff and random things as well. nothing that can be used to exploit the downtrodden really.

They aren't insulated with the hopes and dreams of the working class? Well harumph

TL DR on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I wanna bold and lime this

Arch on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have traded in one game ever, and that was a special case. I can't imagine doing it ever again. How could you abandon your children, Arch?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

In the wikiality,

Oh god what my iPhone thinks wikiality is a word

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    If you fire a gun inside a submarine you get sucked out of the hole in the wall, if you fire a gun inside an airplane you get crushed by immense pressure.

I...I think it's the opposite way round...

Nah, nothing happens to you in a plane. You might pass out from lack of oxygen, but less pressure doesn't really do anything to you. For instance, you can stay alive in the vacuum of space for a minute or so until you die.

Pressure though? The hole would explosively decompress depending on your depth and you'd turn into a fine mist and flow freely through that hole.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I have traded in one game ever, and that was a special case. I can't imagine doing it ever again. How could you abandon your children, Arch?

I hate kids.
    Moving across the country made it easy to be like "well I haven't played this in three years" I'm tryin' to parse down my collection as much as possible. Also I am giving the Wii to my dad and he won't play some of the games I have on it so they went byebye.

Arch on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Right now I'm looking at a paper that is all "Yo, we took some XPS data and confirmed that the surface had sulphur on it!". Only, they clearly didn't use a reference sample, as the peak they are claiming to be the S2p is actually the Ga 3s peak because it's a gallium alloy. So it seems odd that they have missed a peak from the material itself in favour of making a claim about having stuck down a monolayer.

Idiots. I can see how it would slip through peer review though.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »
    There was something of a shootout onboard a British submarine? Wha?

That he found even space to shoot a firearm in a submarine is impressive.

I've been onboard one of the vessels, and it's very claustrophobic.

I've only been inside a WWII vessel and it was tiny. The spacious bridge of US vessels you see in movies does not exist in any of ours, that I do know.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    i guess the greatly diminished volume of my posting for the past two years has made my forum personality a little less distinct. Also, I'm quite a bit more mellow these days and people liked it when I was meaner.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i guess the greatly diminished volume of my posting for the past two years has made my forum personality a little less distinct. Also, I'm quite a bit more mellow these days and people liked it when I was meaner.

Hey I know the difference between you and Dynagrip, Gooey.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Right now I'm looking at a paper that is all "Yo, we took some XPS data and confirmed that the surface had sulphur on it!". Only, they clearly didn't use a reference sample, as the peak they are claiming to be the S2p is actually the Ga 3s peak because it's a gallium alloy. So it seems odd that they have missed a peak from the material itself in favour of making a claim about having stuck down a monolayer.

How closely related are those in the normal spectrum?

And for that matter, where the fuck do you find a concise reference of this type of thing because I've been looking.

EDIT: Some brief Googling suggests "right on top of each other".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    If you fire a gun inside a submarine you get sucked out of the hole in the wall, if you fire a gun inside an airplane you get crushed by immense pressure.

I...I think it's the opposite way round...

Prove it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Wait, shit

dead to me!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i was sent a review request for an AIAA paper but I should probably wait until I feel less drugged to offer comments.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Wait, shit

go to bed, arch!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

And for that matter, where the fuck do you find a concise reference of this type of thing because I've been looking.
    In GaP the Ga 3s peak is at 159.9eV and S bonded to that surface gives a peak at about 162eV. They have proudly, show a graph with a single peak smack bang on 160eV.

"Handbooks of Monochromatic XPS Spectra: Volume 1 - The Elements and Native Oxides" or similar will give you an endless list of where you can expect to find the peaks from a given element. The problem is that things move by a few eV due to bonding. Well, that's not a problem really, it's what people use XPS for but it means you need to trawl through papers for similar studies rather than citing that directly.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    edited April 2011

In GaP the Ga 3s peak is at 159.9eV and S bonded to that surface gives a peak at about 162eV. They have proudly, show a graph with a single peak smack bang on 160eV.

"Handbooks of Monochromatic XPS Spectra: Volume 1 - The Elements and Native Oxides" or similar will give you an endless list of where you can expect to find the peaks from a given element. The problem is that things move by a few eV due to bonding. Well, that's not a problem really, it's what people use XPS for but it means you need to trawl through papers for similar studies rather than citing that directly.

So is that all they've got? Coz sulfur is a pretty weak signal to start with, and normally we do something like compare carbon signals to prove whatever we put there is there.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maria Bamford is a funny lass.

Ludious on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My credit card company's evil plan worked. They gave me a 20% off CDs code for Amazon so I bought like 5 CDs.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

So is that all they've got? Coz sulfur is a pretty weak signal to start with, and normally we do something like compare carbon signals to prove whatever we put there is there.

It's a really crappy paper. I mean, to think they have the sulphur peak they mustn't have looked at a reference sample at all. I think they got some interesting and just wanted to very quickly claim it was what they expected, which it isn't. At all. GaP is the red headed step child of the Ga-alloys though. Decent groups work on GaN and GaAs.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Oh dear.

SoljahBoy called out 4chan/Anonymous.

They're about to superman that ho.

Oh, wow.

It would be pretty funny if they collectively decided that he didn't know any better and that nothing could be gained from ruining the fool.

But it will still be pretty funny when they ruin that fool.

Some enemies are just too much for 4chan, though. They couldn't take on the Iranian government, nor could they take on the church of scientology. Who knows if they can take on soljahboy.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's a really crappy paper. I mean, to think they have the sulphur peak they mustn't have looked at a reference sample at all. I think they got some interesting and just wanted to very quickly claim it was what they expected, which it isn't. At all. GaP is the red headed step child of the Ga-alloys though. Decent groups work on GaN and GaAs.

I forget, was GaP what you were working on and thus this is a subtle dig at your group?

If so, bravo.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Jesus. It's been almost 10 years since Anthrax last released an album.

That after the stellar We've Come For You All.

Fuck Scott Ian.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is SoljahBoy and what's going on here?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SoljahBoy is worse than lil wayne.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

In at a lot of ways, yes. But at least he doesn't have all the praise of Wayne.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Praise Of Wayne sounds like a terribly dirty sex act.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Hahahahhaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Hilarious

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

They are both worst.

:x

Honk on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure if I have really bad gas or a kidney stone but HOLY FUCK my right side hurts

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm glancing over the Wisconsin thread, about how a Republican official who's been found guilty of election fraud in the past found more than enough lost ballots in her office to bring the losing Republican candidate over the top to victory.

My first thought was, "how long before the Democrats quietly concede the election because they're too chickenshit to call election fraud when they see it?"

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I forget, was GaP what you were working on and thus this is a subtle dig at your group?

If so, bravo.
    No, my group works pretty much exclusively on AlGaN/GaN heterostructure devices, it's a pretty different field. I'm more doing material science (so looking at GaN, AlGaN, GaP, GaAs), they are doing device characterisation (seeing what happens when they run transistor devices).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shit I hope I dont have appendicitis

What does that feel like?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Go to the doctor dude!