As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It'll come out in the trial. It's one of the few scenarios in life where someone can realistically ask you to recap previous events in detail.

Mr Shepard, you were seen entering the Omega Relay at nine fifteen on the night of March the tenth. Can you please describe what happened next....

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't there also talk of a comic similar to Genesis that PS3 players got? Depending on how in depth it goes it could be a good solution.

EDIT: Nevermind

Hellbore on
  • Options
    Dr. WormDr. Worm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    How many characters do you all think will be entirely new? I'm betting on two or three, including James.

I'm hoping only around two or so. Its a little late in the game to be making new BFFs, so I'm happy if I get my buds like Wrex, Garrus and Mordin with one or two noobs in there.

I wouldn't be shocked, not shocked at all, if Bioware gives an evil laugh and provides a Batarian squadmate, if only temporarily.

People here would lose their shit.

Dr. Worm on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If James is in fact the ninja looking Alliance guy, I'm sure I can find a place for him on the crew. I'm not so prejudiced that I HAVE to stick with my old crew. I even gave Jack a chance... just not for long.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    It'll come out in the trial. It's one of the few scenarios in life where someone can realistically ask you to recap previous events in detail.

Mr Shepard, you were seen entering the Omega Relay at nine fifteen on the night of March the tenth. Can you please describe what happened next....

Ooooo man I just hope that Turian Councilmember shows up to cement his wankery. I can just imagine a priceless renegade scene involving the councilmember, a wooden Gavel, and one angry Shepard.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What happens if Garrus doesn't calibrate.
    Everyone is always whining at Garrus about his Calibrations. "Garrus we never talk anymore, all you do is calibrate." "Garrus, we never go anyplace nice because you're too busy with calibrations." "Garrus, last night you said 'calibrations' instead of my name." Well this, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of shit that happens what happens when Garrus doesn't calibrate. LET THE MAN CALIBRATE.
    "Garrus, last night you said 'calibrations' instead of my name."

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nah, they'll totally reverse course on him, he'll grab a rifle and sacrifice himself early in the game to shot a husk or something while everyone else runs.

Then people won't be able to hate em.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Presses the 'launch counter attack' buttons by doing his air quotes thing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bigity wrote: »
    Nah, they'll totally reverse course on him, he'll grab a rifle and sacrifice himself early in the game to shot a husk or something while everyone else runs.

If it looks like a Batarian, talks like a Batarian, and smells like a Batarian... but has a sense of honor and decency? Then it's not a Batarian.

Bobble on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bigity wrote: »

I'd have to backtrack and put a few thermal clips worth of shots into his head and body, you know to make sure he isn't suffering...

also cause he was a filthy Batarian

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ars has an interesting story up on the length of video games.

2 graphics with stats caught my eye:

Xbox live players with the 'beat the game' achievement:
    achievements-2.png

and average time played:
    achievements-1.png

The average time played seems out of whack to me, or not defined in the way I might expect. Maybe there were a large number of people that picked up ME2 for 20 minutes and then dropped it, but they're not really people anyway. That said, 67% beat the game and average playtime was only 12 hours? Was the ME2 campaign THAT short? I've been away from it for a long time, and maybe looking at the saves on my ME1 #s threw me off, but yeesh.

Bobble on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have to take into account that there are many people who will only play the main/vital content of a game without bothering to explore much else.

If you were just to go straight through ME2 without doing anything but the bare minimum you could more or less beat it in that time. Especially on normal(which I'm sure it the difficulty most play on).

It's also the reason that most of the "awesome" stuff(like...explosions and "fuck yeah" moments) tend to happen during the main parts of the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That graph is hugely misleading, and the source of the data very suspect.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah. I actually took the time to read the article and it seems to be moreso for a "They're making video games shorter and why don't we have 50 hour RPGs where you spend 25 of those hours killing rats" argument.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you all feel about Husk Batarians?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I thought it looked more like a Husk Yaaaaaaaaarrrgg. Or however it is spelled.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you all feel about Husk Batarians?

Two great tastes that go great together. For me to CHARGE.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The mouth is all wrong, and it has four eyes. I don't think Yahg have four eyes.

Reapers wouldn't be interested in Yahg anyway, at least at first. They're a pre-spaceflight culture.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The yahg are fucking terrifying and basically the best traits of every species mixed together, I really want to recruit them.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nah, Elcor have them beat. Physically and in originality.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I love the Elcor...but they'd get ripped apart by a Yahg.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    An elcor kunoichi would be a sight to see.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yahg make krogan look like playground bullies. We would not survive against a yahg reaper. It's sheer luck they decided to murder the council's delegation, because they would be ruling the galaxy by the time we appeared.

The yahg still know about galactic civilization and the relays so will be harvested, therefore they must join us.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    *Ahem* You are all seriously discounting the Elcor military. They are terrifying.

"Because their slow, conservative psyche is not suitable for making the spur-of-the-moment decisions necessary in combat situations, the elcor rely on sophisticated VI combat systems. These war machines can choose between thousands of gambits developed and polished over centuries by elcor strategists.

The slow speed and immense size of the elcor makes them easy targets. Fortunately, their durable hide allows them to shrug off most incoming fire. Elcor warriors don't carry small arms; their broad shoulders serve as a stable platform for the same size of weapons typically mounted on Alliance fighting vehicles."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    yeah you know what fuck the council and the krogan and the quarians

geth/yahg/elcor/hanar/drell/raloi/YOOMANITY forever

vorcha and keepers can come too

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just Failshep'd.

So I've done that.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2011

The mouth is all wrong, and it has four eyes. I don't think Yahg have four eyes.

Reapers wouldn't be interested in Yahg anyway, at least at first. They're a pre-spaceflight culture.

Unless we're talking about different ones, it is definitely not batarian. it is huge, hulking, has the gaping maw of the yarrrrrrrggg. and has five eyes.

http://i53.tinypic.com/287df7b.png

(of course being jailed for posting tali creepfiction means you'll have to quote adding tags)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Just Failshep'd.

So I've done that.

Failshep has a very surreal ending

first Joker lifts a huge metal bar and possibly breaks every one of his bones in the process

then TIM sends some ships towards the base that don't appear otherwise

then Cerberus not only prepared coffins for every single squad member, but a special N7 one
    Unless we're talking about different ones, it is definitely not batarian. it is huge, hulking, has the gaping maw of the yarrrrrrrggg. and has five eyes.

287df7b.png

(of course being jailed for posting tali creepfiction means you'll have to quote adding tags)

yahg have eight eyes and a three-pronged mouth. that thing in the middle doesn't seem to be an eye, but its forehead and nose are clearly batarian. it seems to be a scion variant.

240px-Yahg_Character_shot.png

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://i53.tinypic.com/287df7b.png

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Batarian
    compare the noses

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well it's quite a transformation then. i wonder if there will be mini reapers. it's a little infeasible to have a thresher maw pull a 2 mile long ship underground. must be some kind of dropship type thing.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well it's quite a transformation then. i wonder if there will be mini reapers. it's a little infeasible to have a thresher maw pull a 2 mile long ship underground. must be some kind of dropship type thing.

Not if we get maw sign the likes of which God has never seen!

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Codex says that no one has ever seen the entire body of a Thresher Maw, only a small portion comes out of the ground to feed, so they could be miles long for all we know.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or they could be the limbs of a yet larger creature.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In a universe with immortal death god machines coming to harvest the galaxy traveling via their relays capable of sending pretty much anything hundreds or thousands of light years instantaneously, a really fucking big thresher maw is pretty far down the list of infeasible things in Mass Effect games for me.

Emporium on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But also pretty far down the list of things that are going to help.

I think we'll spend a lot of the game recruiting the different races (maybe some we haven't seen yet- raloi?) in a Gondor Calls For Aid moment, and then Shep will go off after any one of like five Chekhov's Guns BioWare has set up (between those crypts on Armeni, the Leviathan, etc.). Sometime during this, we'll start getting cutscenes of allied fleets engaging Reapers in battle, losing badly. When things look the worst, Shep will show up with whatever super macguffin we've picked up to save the day and win a coalition victory.

Then, Reapers defeated, the council races set about their two very important tasks- rebuilding and finishing off any surviving batarians.

Filthy four-eyed scum.

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Ars has an interesting story up on the length of video games.

2 graphics with stats caught my eye:

Xbox live players with the 'beat the game' achievement:
    achievements-2.png

and average time played:
    achievements-1.png

The average time played seems out of whack to me, or not defined in the way I might expect. Maybe there were a large number of people that picked up ME2 for 20 minutes and then dropped it, but they're not really people anyway. That said, 67% beat the game and average playtime was only 12 hours? Was the ME2 campaign THAT short? I've been away from it for a long time, and maybe looking at the saves on my ME1 #s threw me off, but yeesh.

Surely rentals/borrowing from friends throws this totally out of whack?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hey look, more Mass Effect fanart that doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out:
    me3__finish_the_fight_by_arkis-d37flgl.jpg

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey look, more Mass Effect fanart that doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out:
    me3__finish_the_fight_by_arkis-d37flgl.jpg

Well earth is boned if all they have is puny red lasers.

and that picture isn't disturbing enough. why can't anyone find, say, jack licking honey off a batarian's "nose".
    or poop sac maintenance.
    I mean cmon people, the rest of the PA forums avoid this thread for exactly those sort of images!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm...I don't know if killing a batarian husk is going to be as satisfying. I mean, it's like someone already killed it for you, and then they just sent it on danse macabre to taunt you.
    Ad astra wrote: »
    The Codex says that no one has ever seen the entire body of a Thresher Maw, only a small portion comes out of the ground to feed, so they could be miles long for all we know.

The wiki says the visible part is about 1/3rd the body, but I don't know where that's coming from. Someone pointed this out earlier, though. Guess where the scene with the thresher vs. reaper fight occurs?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For Shepard, who wins, he wins.

manwiththemachinegun on