As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need to get out of Lease in MN.

JeepersJeepers Registered User new member
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I moved in November of last year and I now need to break my lease. It is signed for a year. I know that when I moved in there was a waiting list to get in and being as this is a low income, I am assuming there is a waiting list yet. I know that when you call to ask for a place to rent that it says they are full. In my contract there is something about Section 42 and fulfilling 6 months occupancy. Is this for the housing credit ?

Jeepers on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Breaking a lease is generally a difficult thing to do, it is a contract after all. The most common way to get out of one is to find an occupant who wants to move in, that way the landlord isn't out any expected income. Sometimes there are built in escape clauses, such as two months rent can terminate a lease. The Section 42 nonsense may have an effect here, but damned if I know what it is.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you terminating because of personal reasons or because of something the landlord did/the condition of the property?

John Matrix on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Usually there is a fee you can pay to break a lease early, it can be anything from one month's rent to an extreme amount of money, depending on where you're living and how quick they can fill it. Being that is is a low-income housing area, I'd guess that the fee is around 500-800 bucks

call your apartment from a phone not associated with your account and ask them, do not give your name

Raneados on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My understanding is that there are usually three ways a lease is got out of in MN.

one: Find a Subleaser. This is just finding someone else to fill the appt for the rest of the duration of your lease. This is also something your landlord has to agree to. I dunno if this low income stuff affects that, it would ask your landlord or building manager.

two: Pay an extra fee. This is something that your lease will say that will allow you to get out for some extra money. If your lease doesn't have a clause like that then it probably isn't going to happen, although you might be able to talk your landlord into it. Get it in writing.

three: die. Suicide seems a bit extreme and faking your death too much work.

option one is probably the only one that is going to happen.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say