As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] Same day as Japan! er roughly.

King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
THE ONE PIECE-

That's quite enough of that.
onepiece.png

As if I'd let a lackey explain the thread

This is the one Piece thread. Read the following dossier as it contains vital information pertaining to my enemies .

Do not fail me.

-
( borrowed with some devil fruit alterations from Xenogear of Bore's Op)

What is One Piece?

One Piece is a manga written by a madman named Oda. He ate the Oda-Oda fruit and can write to a distance of no more than 250 Odaodas, which is still pretty impressive considering your average writer can't handle more than 5 or 6. It's about:

Pirates -
Foolishy ,inspired by the death of Gold Roger pirates have taken to the sea in search of their dreams .
One Piece follows that damned Straw hat and his crew . A group of men and women intent on their dreams and adventure.

Monkey D. Luffy- Captian , Idiot, Rubberman. When the tough gets going he punches them. He's going to be the king of the Pirates .
He uses his rubber powers to achieve attacks and states of being that would kill normal people. Luffy has more attack forms than any Anime hero ever. His true power is his ability to make up shit on the fly.
Post Time skip
Luffy hasn't changed much. He can now enter all gears at will with no draw back. He has mastered Armor Haki and is slowly gaining control of the kings Haki( he doesn't have it down precisely yet) he used prediction Haki a few times but he seems to ignore it in heated fights.

Rorona Zoro- A man who uses three swords. One goes in his mouth. He is destined to get lost where ever he goes. Second Mate and on track to be the greatest Swordsman in the world which is coincidentally his dream
Post Time Skip
Zoro has traded an Eye for being FUCKING AWESOME. We don't know if he has Haki though it's possible he can use prediction Haki

Nami- Master theif,Scrooge Mcduck, and Navigator of awesomeness. Her Dream is to map the world.
Events in her past make her stingy with money. This is all for the best since the Strawhats would be destitute without her. Her Climatact allows her to simulate Weather effects and is great at parties
Post Time Skip
Boobs. Uh I mean Nami is now a Weather Witch. Her upgraded abilities make her far more formidable.

Usopp- King of lies and commander of 1 billion men. Crack Sniper. His dream is to be a pirate and meet his father one the sea
Post Time Skip
Captian Usopp is still a crack sniper. Now though he's mastered Pop greens -predatory plants that grow extremely fast and have a seemingly endless variety of effects. His ability to plan a strategy has increased as well unfortunately his lies are not as outrageous as they once were.

Sanji- Lover of food. Wants to be lover of women. Any woman. Under 40 of course.
Master chef with the black leg of death. He wishes to see the All blue a sea containing every fish in the world. His true dream was crushed by the hateful monstrosity Absalom.
Post Time Skip
Sanji has seen things man.

SERIOUS THINGS . IT"S NOT FUNNY

He has learned to fly and gained a debilitating conditon in his training. Also he may be Satan. He has mastered the 99 secret okama recipes that make you manly and maintain youthful skin.

Tony-Tony Chopper - A man-reindeer. He's a doctor and mascot of the crew. Also their emergency rations. His dream is to cure any illness. Chopper has the coolest Dad ever. He uses his rumble ball to call forth 6 transformations!
Post Time Skip
Well now he uses it to become a monster. Chopper has evolved his forms and can transform at will. His rumble Ball now allows him to turn into his Monster Point form at will and remain in full control. He cannot move for about an hour after use though

Nico Robin - She can sprout her body parts anywhere and she's an archaeologist. She hates giant robots of coolness. Her dream is kind of spoileriffc. Rest assured it is a tear jerker.
Post time Skip
Robin has upgraded into a Sexy older lady.
Oh she can make giant versions of her body parts and clone herself too. I guess that's awesome.

She still hates giant Robots .
Franky - SUPER ! Cola Powered Cyborg. Shipwright. Man we all aspire to be. His dream also ruins a cool moment so it won't be here.
Post Time Skip
Franky has radically retructured his body. He also commands the Ultimate force of a GIANT COMBINING ROBOT.
So what if he's all the weapons ?

Brook - Musician, Gentleman, King of soul. Brook is all of these things. He can hardly keep his talents straight in his brain. Oh he doesn't have a brain because he's a skeleton Yohoho!
Brooks Dream is to return to a special friend.
Post Time Skip
Brook has Become Shaman King. His oversoul abilities allow him to make music into powerful damaging spells. He can leech soul energy from emotions and become a shaman king mod soul. His two years touring the world as a pop star were really intensive training. He still hasn't seen any panties.

Marines - They uphold "Justice" when the price isn't right Kuhahahaha. The cops to the pirates robbers. At least they look good doing it. Pretty even split between people just trying to uphold the peace (and get their ass kicked by pirates) and giant douche bags working for the giant assholes who run the World Government (and usually kick the pirates' ass)

Dreams
People have them(mainly fools). If you're a bad guy, Luffy crushes your dream. It's a fate worse than death.
Adventure
Pirates and adventure is like peanut butter and jelly.

How to go about watching/reading One Piece
The manga is released in the US by Viz. They do an okay job. Before this year started they were at the end of Alabasta, but now they are releasing six or seven volumes a month every month for the entire year. This should put them only about a year behind when 2011 comes around, not bad considering right now they are close to seven or eight years behind! Translation is inconsistent between volumes though. Primarily because they had multiple teams of translators working on each story arc. It's little things but it can be annoying . Also if you like the song Bink's Sake be aware of oncoming rage.

Funimation releases new episodes every Saturday on their site at ( ideally ) 9pm. Hulu has quite a backlog of old and recent episodes and gets newer episodes two weeks later.
NEW STUNNING INFORMATION

http://www.vizmanga.com/sj-weekly

Because the medium of the magazine is dying Viz has gone digital with Shonen Jump. For roughly 29 dollars a year you will now be able to get Manga the same day it releases in Japan.
Oh snap.
More details will be up next week but Viz is promising more titles in addition to 1:1 releases with Japan

This includes One Piece of course. Favorites like Toriko and zombies like Bleach and Naruto will also be included. So I mean 30 bucks for Toriko ,One Piece and various other titles is sweet.

You also get Yugioh cards even though Yugioh isn't even on the Alpha site. Fun fact sell these online and you'll pay for your sub twice over.

See if you vote with your wallet people listen. This happened way faster than I expected. Thanks, Obama

Please do not link to or mention manga scan sites or provide links to downloading episodes. I cannot stress this enough. Suffice to say asking is not a good idea either. You will be infracted or banned. Piracy of the nautical variety is okay though.

So there's your mission. Complete it in a timely manner.

Or I may be inclined to get angry.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
King Riptor on

• Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wanna see more of Fukaboshi and gang.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I started reading a month or so back and I've reached chapter 606... Damn neat comic. I especially like how plot threads get resolved (in real time) years later...

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do have to sit down and catch up on the anime sometime soon.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been on a break from the Anime for about a year, I'll have to catch up as well.

Yay One Piece thread. The only anime thread well-behaved enough to avoid the "Wrath of Will."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There once was a man named Gold Roger... there, now this thread is easier for me to find.

In the latest chapter, I thought the bit about forcing people to step on the picture was interesting (and educational!). I want to see the fights start up soon so all the new fishman pirates can show their stuff.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I take it there's no legal way for a non-American to watch the post-DVD episodes?

That really fucking sucks. Especially with no announcements of season 4 on DVD yet.

And I hate fansubs so much.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can't you watch the current anime subbed on the One Piece official site?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nope. They use Hulu.

Can only watch the most recent episode shortly after it goes up but before it goes to Hulu, which does me no good since I'm like 100 episodes behind.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dreams
    People have them(mainly fools). If you're a bad guy, Luffy crushes your dream. It's a fate worse than death.

I like this quote from the volume 4 SBS (spoilered but only for people who have not read the first quarter of One Piece)
    R: Why doesn't Luffy ever kill his enemies? If you look back, he didn't kill Mohji, he didn't kill Helmeppo or Captain Morgan, or anyone. Well, Zoro was the one who beat Morgan, but still. Why?[4]

O: Ahh, good question. First of all, Morgan is still alive. He's being held in prison now by his former subordinates. So why didn't Luffy kill him? In this era, people put their lives on their beliefs and convictions, and fight. When he goes into battle, Luffy is destroying others' beliefs. And when these enemies' beliefs are shattered and defeated, they feel a pain equal to death. I think that for these pirates, killing or not killing is secondary to winning or losing.

EDIT:
    Burning question about 3rd division commander of the Whitebeard pirates answered
    D: Odacchi~ a question for you. Is the 3rd division commander of the Whitebeard pirates, Diamond Jozu's penis a diamond? Please tell me. Pen Name Family jewel Negio

O: Yes, Jozu's penis is a diamond penis.

EDITEDIT:
    Oh god, can't stop reading these SBSs
    D: If you take away the cuteness from Chopper, what would happen?! Please attempt to draw him!! Ah, and what do your curtains smell like, Mr. Oda? P.N. Our curtains stink.
    Uncutechopper.jpg

O: Well yes-. The curtains in my workplace are lavenderish... or floralish... or rosy-ish, or crappy-ish...

(Chopper is saying "Idiot, how can I by munchin' on sweets. Where's the beer, eh? The beer" and in the speech bubble, it says "Your curtains smell like shit you bitch")
    200px-Uncutechopper.jpg

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    Oh God, the unibrow is perfect.

A duck! on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait, wouldn't Zoro be the first mate? Or do I not understand pirates?

Edit: I ask because he is referred to as second mate in the OP.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A duck! wrote: »
    Oh God, the unibrow is perfect.

Not the kind of deer you'd want to meet in a dark alley.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Wait, wouldn't Zoro be the first mate? Or do I not understand pirates?

I think First mate is something you'd find on a ship with rigid hierarchy. The Strawhats are pretty much all equals under Luffy.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Zoro is most certainly first mate.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New OP for OP. I like it, not particularly spoilery, either.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS wrote: »

Decided to clean it up a tad since a bulk of the links weren't working I'll peck at it here and there and try to make it more beginner friendly.

alternate OP's I decided against included Buggy( insert flashy and bastard at random), Franky( to many all cap senstences) Usopp( not enough all caps sentences) and Sogeking( My heart filled with so much manly pride I couldn't paste it) .

Zoro is first mate It's not readily apparent until Water 7/Enies Lobby at they very end of the arc. He makes the unpopular choices because he understands even Luffy can't sometimes. It's the heavy duty of his rank.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS wrote: »

Decided to clean it up a tad since a bulk of the links weren't working I'll peck at it here and there and try to make it more beginner friendly.

alternate OP's I decided against included Buggy( insert flashy and bastard at random), Franky( to many all cap senstences) Usopp( not enough all caps sentences) and Sogeking( My heart filled with so much manly pride I couldn't paste it) .

Zoro is first mate It's not readily apparent until Water 7/Enies Lobby at they very end of the arc. He makes the unpopular choices because he understands even Luffy can't sometimes. It's the heavy duty of his rank.

Whoops, I'm now realizing that was even vaguer than intended. While the compliment stands on Opening Post, I kinda meant Opening Theme, as in the new episode.

Wait... it was totally intentional. Wordplay and the like... yeah... that's the ticket.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh God oh God...I'm watching the episode where Luffy ends up on the Amazon island right now...

My crotch hurts just watching this.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    new episode was pretty good. I kind of like how they fleshed it out so far.

The new opening for the show is really good.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The new OP is fine to post if it's on Youtube, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8USq0Jo5TI

I wish I had a wallpaper out of the animated silhouettes.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cute, although it doesn't quite have the punch of the last one - I liked the awesome montages of all the characters coming one after the other. Revisiting all the crew-members major moments was nice and in keeping with the flashback theme of the next arc.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Future chapter speculation:

I really, really hope they minimize Arlong's presence on Tiger's crew. That would really downplay Jinbei and Tiger's achievements and raw displays of power, especially since Luffy outright crushed Arlong without really breaking a sweat*

*Yes I know he got all bloody and hurt, but after all the crap he's been through since then Arlong's antics against Luffy look like a child chucking ice cubes at the sun.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, I think I'm caught up to the manga. I can barely believe I missed out on that for over 10 years, but here I am.

I think I'll like that next flashback! Also, I hope Luffy'll meet Buggy in the new world. It's insane how now I care about where Buggy is. Guess he really is a secret legendary pirate, heheh.

What's the policy on spoilers in threads like this? Do we assume everyone's caught up to the newest Japanese releases or American releases or what?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright, I think I'm caught up to the manga. I can barely believe I missed out on that for over 10 years, but here I am.

I think I'll like that next flashback! Also, I hope Luffy'll meet Buggy in the new world. It's insane how now I care about where Buggy is. Guess he really is a secret legendary pirate, heheh.

What's the policy on spoilers in threads like this? Do we assume everyone's caught up to the newest Japanese releases or American releases or what?

spoil new chapter stuff and the latest episode(s). Of course some stuff like the new designs can be talked about openly, but be general on the new stuff outside of tags.

Anything from impel down or before is basically fair game more or less.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Future chapter speculation:

I really, really hope they minimize Arlong's presence on Tiger's crew. That would really downplay Jinbei and Tiger's achievements and raw displays of power, especially since Luffy outright crushed Arlong without really breaking a sweat*

*Yes I know he got all bloody and hurt, but after all the crap he's been through since then Arlong's antics against Luffy look like a child chucking ice cubes at the sun.

My guess:

I am figuring that Jinbei had to get rid of the most anti-human people in his crew before he could get the Shichibukai position. Which is why he let Arlong's group loose into East Blue. This was all after Fisher and the Queen had died, and he did it as another measure to protect the island.

Also, it could be explained that Arlong and his group after having been in East Blue (the weakest sea) pretty much unopposed for 10 years, got lazy and weak. (though even then they were still stronger than most anyone in the sea.)

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like the second part of that theory a lot.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

As do I. It would jive really well if Oda is trying to
    set Arlong up on the same level as Fisher and Jinbei during those early days.

Lynx on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lynx wrote: »

Even if he doesn't explicitly say that I can just pretend!
    I expect Fisher Tiger is gonna be the strongest though, and Jinbei second, Arlong third. Tiger's exploits put him at or near Yonkou-level IMO.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Lynx wrote: »

Then again...
    Arlong being really weak and on a famous crew wouldn't be something that never happened. Just take a look at Buggy. He was around a legendary crew, but he wasn't all that strong. Arlong might be on the crew not because of his physical prowess but because he knew Fisher Tiger or for some other reason. I mean, on one hand it wouldn't make that much sense if Arlong was strong enough to take out, say, CP9 in his "youth". We need to keep in mind that Luffy is absurdly strong and that Arlong was considered pretty strong in his own right anyway.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really liked the new opening theme, showing flashbacks to some of the most emotional moments for each crew member. Oda does know how to tug on the heartstrings.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Akei ArkayAkei Arkay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New chapter is out, it seems.
    So apparently the big four of the Sun Pirates were Tiger, Jinbei, Arlong, and... uh... Macro. Huh.
    Frog? No. HIPPO

Akei Arkay on
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Akei Arkay wrote: »
    So apparently the big four of the Sun Pirates were Tiger, Jinbei, Arlong, and... uh... Macro. Huh.
    Frog? No. HIPPO

I want Fisher Tiger's shirt. SO BAD.

Quentin on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quentin wrote: »
    Frog? No. HIPPO

I want Fisher Tiger's shirt. SO BAD.

I do too.

But first I want to understand its meaning. You know, if there is one.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The meaning is spelled out right there on the shirt.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought it was alluding to another shonen manga, Hajime no Ippo

But frog in Japanese is Kaeru, so no puns to be found... yet
    Rather laidback chapter. WTB action plox

EDIT: Now I get the shirt. Brilliant design ;_; HINT:

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Frog? No. HIPPO
    Wait... who's Marco again? He seems familiar but I don't remember his part in the plot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like Otohime. My idea of what she'd be like before I read the chapter was much more stereotypically demure and kind, but she kicks ass and is kind of crazy, which is much more entertaining.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Frog? No. HIPPO
    Wait... who's Marco again? He seems familiar but I don't remember his part in the plot.
    Marco's the dude who came up with the process of producing philosopher stones from soylent green.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Frog? No. HIPPO

I actually had to look this up.
    MACRO appeared in Hachi's cover story arc. He was a slave catcher/seller who was trying to sell Keimi (or however its spelled) to the slave house. He was the one who hired the Flying Fish Riders to capture Hachi.

Interesting that a former member of a crew largely made up of former slaves became a slave trader...

ManetherenWolf on
This discussion has been closed.