As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Will The Hobbit be eligible?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Why would it be?

• Options
    It's going to have a lot of animated creatures, including Gollum.

• Options
    No more than the Lord of the Rings movies

or the Star Wars prequels

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    So whether something is animated is determined by whether or not the position changes were manually or automatically generated?
    These days it seems to purely be a "is there live action footage in there?" distinction.

Re: list, I'd throw my vote behind either Rango or KFP2. Normally I wouldn't push sequels, but I really enjoyed KFP2. Given how shaky the internet claimed the original's development was I had no hope for it.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Throwing my support behind Rango.

Either this or Kung Fu Panda 2, because KFP 2 was a pretty great flick

oh, and I haven't seen Tintin yet

• Options
    I hope Tintin is good, I think it has a lot of potential. I'm not nearly as put off by CG faces as most people are, I think. I really liked both Beowulf and The Polar Express.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I thought that Young Justice finished with Revelation. But if that was only a mid-season arc, then I'm curious to what they're going to pull with the finale. Humanity and Fulfilled were great; I definitely like this as much as the average episode of Justice League.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    These days it seems to purely be a "is there live action footage in there?" distinction.

Nah. Smurfs and Chipmunks are primarily live action.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Glal wrote:

Then I think it's a question of "how pretentious is the director and does he want a shot at best picture instead?"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    wandering wrote:
    But Mars Needs Moms and Tintin are mocap!

Nightmare fuel doesn't count.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Glal wrote:

Then I think it's a question of "how pretentious is the director and does he want a shot at best picture instead?"
    A film can be nominated for both best animated and best picture. See: Up and Toy Story 3.

• Options
    wandering wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Glal wrote:

A film can be nominated for both best animated and best picture. See: Up and Toy Story 3.

Let me rephrase that. "How pretentious is the director, does he want a shot at best picture instead and does he work at Pixar?"

Even with the expanded best picture list, there's still a stigma against most animated films getting a shot at best picture. Hell, people still argue that the mere existence of a "best animated picture" award stigmatizes animated films.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    I thought that Young Justice finished with Revelation. But if that was only a mid-season arc, then I'm curious to what they're going to pull with the finale. Humanity and Fulfilled were great; I definitely like this as much as the average episode of Justice League.

Guessing they will deal with the true villain league The Light for the finale. Also hoping they will deal with one or both of the "niece" members (Artemis and Megan) by the end of this season as well.

• Options
    Also the Zantanna bit in Bella Whatever was aces.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Goddamn Ankama! This is a kids show in France!?

eporgz.jpg

Dram on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Europeans aren't as afraid of what they see in the shower every day of their lives as Americans are. Also, there is a whole lot of little boy butts in American cartoons.

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    An excellent and disturbing point!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    but you can't see anything in that gif
    wat

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Is Wakfu ever going to be legally available in the US?

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    they do those bath scenes all the time in not-western cartoons

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That duck has the best trollface.

• Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    dude. dude. its FRANCE! Holy bleep where you been?

• Options
    Novid wrote:

I know

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Novid wrote:

Then where's the hair?

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Europeans aren't as afraid of what they see in the shower every day of their lives as Americans are. Also, there is a whole lot of little boy butts in American cartoons.

Male booty in general gets a pass.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    ben 10 / generator rex crossover on nov 25th? I am insterested.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    so how much of the animation is done from a southpark angle

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Young Justice "Disordered"
    New Gods characters finally introduced. Not sure why they were jumping around Darkseid's name like he was Voldemort from Harry Potter. Though I miss the old boom tube sound from the DCAU I do like the new visual effect.

Counselor Black Canary's sessions, though a bit jarring from Superboy's adventure, were a nice follow up to last week's episode. Everyone is having to deal with the aftershocks except Wally who is pushing the experience aside just like his episode with Dr. Fate. Megan's white martian heritage and Artemis/Wally's feelings for each other are all but confirmed the only question is when.

• Options
    Okay, so what's everyone's thoughts on Green Lantern?

Other than IT'S AWESOME

I'd still prefer 'hand-drawn' over CGI, but it works. I had the same feelings with Transformers Prime, and I'll get over them too. And while some of the landscapes are bland "Oh, desert! With a few trees! Oh, alien desert! With some rock outcroppings!", it feels more like an artistic choice than animation laziness. It's not like other high rated shows didn't suffer from similar ails: B:TAS had constant dark cityscapes (I know, I'll be stoned for that)
    I like it. And while I hope they don't delve into the War of Light right away (like, a season or two later maybe), I do like the idea of them possibly introducing other Lantern corps, slowly, deliberately. And Ganthet is well represented.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I thought GL was ok. Kinda childish.
    holy shit that GL sacrificing himself was pretty badass. for a bit there i thought his people got killed too. Thought that was a big move for a cartoon. Then kilawog saved them all. Bleh. Was hoping the gl ring was gonna go to the imprisoned rage guy.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    A cartoon aimed at kids is childish? Well I never!

Other than IT'S AWESOME

I'd still prefer 'hand-drawn' over CGI, but it works. I had the same feelings with Transformers Prime, and I'll get over them too. And while some of the landscapes are bland "Oh, desert! With a few trees! Oh, alien desert! With some rock outcroppings!", it feels more like an artistic choice than animation laziness. It's not like other high rated shows didn't suffer from similar ails: B:TAS had constant dark cityscapes (I know, I'll be stoned for that)
    I like it. And while I hope they don't delve into the War of Light right away (like, a season or two later maybe), I do like the idea of them possibly introducing other Lantern corps, slowly, deliberately. And Ganthet is well represented.

I don't think "artistic choice" excuses that one. When it comes to 3D animation, the environment design is far easier to create than hand-drawing multiple scenes at various angles and perspectives; all you need to do is fill up a single stage area with convincing ecosystem. Not every planet has to be as barren as Mars.

I've seen better environment design in Beast Wars.

• Options
    Godfather wrote:

Other than IT'S AWESOME

I don't think "artistic choice" excuses that one. When it comes to 3D animation, the environment design is far easier to create than hand-drawing multiple scenes at various angles and perspectives; all you need to do is fill up a single stage area with convincing ecosystem. Not every planet has to be as barren as Mars.

I've seen better environment design in Beast Wars.

And there were some more detailed backgrounds in Green Lantern, just not every background was filled out. It didn't bug me though; the rest of the animation felt smooth, the voice acting was fine. Even though I will forever associate Bulkhead with Kilowog now.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Godfather wrote:
    I also think Blues Clues is childish, and it was one of my favorite shows.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Godfather wrote:

Pixar: For children.
    Dreamworks: Childish.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Warner Bros. Animation announced that there will be more Looney Tunes 3-D theatrical shorts; the first non-Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner 3-D short will be "Daffy Rhapsody" with Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd, that will precede the film Happy Feet Two.[2]

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warner Bros. Animation announced that there will be more Looney Tunes 3-D theatrical shorts; the first non-Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner 3-D short will be "Daffy Rhapsody" with Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd, that will precede the film Happy Feet Two.[2]

...there were previous ones?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I wish every movie had a short film preceding it.

wandering on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Neato!

Also, still looking forward to Brave, in spite of Cars 2.

RMS Oceanic on
This discussion has been closed.