As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Western Animation thread

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Now I want a steak that turns into a robot.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Neato!

Also, still looking forward to Brave, in spite of Cars 2.

Cars was always the pet project of what's-his-face. You know all those stories about how Lucas' movies are getting terrible because nobody has the balls to question him? The Cars franchise is like that.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I guess this opens up the possibility for a Toy Story 4, doesn't it?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

And a quote about Princess Merida by the co-director.
    She isn’t your typical princess. She doesn’t wear nice clothes except in a couple of scenes when her strict mom, Queen Elinor, makes her do it for special functions. She’s an active and action-oriented person. She wants to get out in the outdoors of the Highlands, escaping from castle life and exploring the woods.

Apparently there will be a trailer tomorrow too!

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Neato!

Also, still looking forward to Brave, in spite of Cars 2.

Cars was always the pet project of what's-his-face. You know all those stories about how Lucas' movies are getting terrible because nobody has the balls to question him? The Cars franchise is like that.

Also the fact that Cars merch sells hojillions.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    The 3d loony-tunes shorts submitted so far haven't been that bad actually; was surprised to find myself laughing during the Wile E. Coyote one that I saw.

and some things still bother me about Merida's design. She doesn't have eyelashes, and it seems like the dark ring around the perimeter of the iris is totally absent, which is weird because all their other humans have it.

• Options
    MrDapper wrote:
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

She isn’t your typical princess. She doesn’t wear nice clothes except in a couple of scenes when her strict mom, Queen Elinor, makes her do it for special functions. She’s an active and action-oriented person. She wants to get out in the outdoors of the Highlands, escaping from castle life and exploring the woods.

She sounds like a typical fictional/starring princess.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

You've got a point. I've yet to see a fantasy piece starring a princess who really just wanted to sit at home in the castle and practice needlepoint but was somehow thrust into a larger adventure with the fate of the planet hanging in the balance.

• Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

You've got a point. I've yet to see a fantasy piece starring a princess who really just wanted to sit at home in the castle and practice needlepoint but was somehow thrust into a larger adventure with the fate of the planet hanging in the balance.

...Sansa?

• Options
    see317 wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

Or one who tries to manage her little household when her entire country is thrown into chaos by war, with a healthy dose of the personal politics wealthy women have played through the centuries out of what I can only assume to be boredom.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    see317 wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    MrDapper wrote:
    New Brave still.

brave5.jpg

...Sansa?

Someone who isn't dumber than a bag of hammers made of rocks.

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    Maybe it is the angle or the hairline or something but the top of her head looks like it is abruptly cut off/flat

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Tonights episode of Adventure Time. Holy crap.
    Jake being crazy. The Deer.. that fight with the deer... did, did they just crush his skull and dump his body into the sewer?! "He wanted my sugar, but I didn't give him any.. If you know what I mean."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Vesty wrote:
    Maybe it is the angle or the hairline or something but the top of her head looks like it is abruptly cut off/flat

Her hairline will make it really easy to translate her into cheap dolls.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Ginger kid; the movie!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    JMan711 wrote:
    Jake being crazy. The Deer.. that fight with the deer... did, did they just crush his skull and dump his body into the sewer?! "He wanted my sugar, but I didn't give him any.. If you know what I mean."

They straight up murdered the deer-thing. Granted it was evil and broke Finn's legs.

Invisible on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I guess this opens up the possibility for a Toy Story 4, doesn't it?
    I hope not, I'll take a new Pixar IP over a sequel to one any day. Yes, before you compare a Pixar movie you dislike with a good sequel, even that.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote:
    JMan711 wrote:

They straight up murdered the deer-thing. Granted it was evil and broke Finn's legs.

The whole thing was highly disturbing (more so if you think about the saliva). Also, strong Walking Dead vibe with the waking up in the hospital thing.
    Though the Deer throwing off his hooves to reveal hands, thereby signalling just how evil it was, cracked me up.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    that Adventure Time episode was terrifying
    Deer should not have hands. That is not a thing deer should have.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Yea my roommate and I immediately got a 28 days later vibe from when Finn woke up. It was a completely messed up episode... but one of the best.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Couple of animated DC things:

Cartoon Network is already teasing their new DC Nation block, and it's loaded with flashes of what they're up to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCKT_Lwdcck&feature=related

In addition to the shows, it's got stuff like a live-action Blue Beetle, a Ren and Stimpy-styled Plastic Man, the return of the anime-styled Teen Titans as shorts, Lego animations, what looks like animation that's going along with that Gotham City Impostors game and the Aardman claymation Batman, which is apparently voiced by toddlers. It's still starting in 2012, not sure when yet.

I've also flogged this next thing before, but there's a reason for that. The series finale for Batman: the Brave and the Bold is on Cartoon Network this Friday, and this is why you should watch it:
    Teaser: In the year 1865, in a parallel universe known as 5501, Batman helps foil an assassination attempt on the life of President Abraham Lincoln by a steampunk armored John Wilkes Booth.
    Main Plot: When Bat-Mite has grown weary of Batman: The Brave and the Bold, deeming its formula to be tired and repetitive, he concocts a scheme to make it so bad that the network will have to cancel the show to make way for a darker one. Can Ambush Bug thwart his plan before it's too late?

I caught it on Youtube before it got yanked, and it's an absolutely hilarious commentary on TV executive meddling, series decay and shark jumping.

Still not convinced? It's got roles from not one but TWO absolute icons of jumping the shark. Ted McGinley is infamous for coming on an existing show as a replacement character... shortly before the show dies. Over and over and over. Seriously, he's known as the patron saint of shark jumping. And Ambush Bug is voiced by Harry Winkler.

Also, I'm 95 percent certain that's Mark Hamill in an utterly fantastic cameo I won't spoil for you here. Honestly, if you're even slightly interested/amused by the concept of jumping the shark you NEED to watch this episode.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    What time Friday? I'll make a note of it cause that sounds too hilarious to miss.

• Options
    SkutSkut wrote:
    What time Friday? I'll make a note of it cause that sounds too hilarious to miss.

7 p.m. Eastern.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    And Ambush Bug is voiced by Harry Winkler.

Who's Harry Winkler?

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote:
    Here's the list of eligible animated movies for the Oscars.

Rango
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Puss in Boots
    Rio
    Cars 2
    Hoodwinked Two! Hood Vs. Evil
    Gnomeo & Juliet
    Mars Needs Moms
    Winnie the Pooh
    The Adventures of Tintin
    Arthur Christmas
    Happy Feet Too
    Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
    The Smurfs
    Alois Nebel
    A Cat in Paris
    Chico & Rita
    Wrinkles

Neat.

Support for best animated thus far goes to Rango. Despite the pop culture refs, it was an awesome movie with some awesome design choices. Same for Tintin, but I haven't seen it yet.

I like what I've seen concerning Chico & Rita, hope it at least gets a nomination. I loved Kung Fu Panda 2, but I don't see it as oscar-worthy.

Puss & Boots, Rio, Happy Feet Too, Alvin & the Smurfs can go fuck a duck.

• Options
    Puss in Boots actually wasn't that bad. It was better then the past two Shrek movies and pop culture references were at an all time low.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Kung Fu Panda 2 worked so well because it didn't ignore the progress Po made in the first one, and it was simply a kung fu action flick with CGI animals.

• Options
    I hold the past two Shrek movies with about as much regard as Roger Ebert holds the movie North.

Better than shit doesn't mean it's not still shit.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Young Justice's latest episode was excellent. I love how nothing is hand-waved in this series...the characters are all left reeling with the emotional trauma from the previous episode's events.

And I can safely say now that Superboy is my favorite character so far. He's steadily developing into someone that isn't just an angry Superman clone...he's got deeper emotional issues that work to make him a stronger person.

So, daddy issues, constant questioning of his self-worth, in love with a redhead....

Basically, he's Shinji on Steroids.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoDDiz5kRU

...I'm in. Much as I wish the part with the ice wasn't there, I'm in.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on Young Justice and just had a hearty lol

Robin: It's Superman's Fortress of Solitude.
    Superboy: Superman has a Fortress of Solitude?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    DC is creating it's own television network? Really?

I didn't think they had deep enough pockets for that. That will certainly give them tremendous ground against Marvel.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote:
    DC is creating it's own television network? Really?

I didn't think they had deep enough pockets for that. That will certainly give them tremendous ground against Marvel.

You are misinterpreting that. Just a block of shows on Cartoon Network.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finally saw Megamind. Don't know why I got my hopes up (maybe seeing How I Met Your Dragon did it), but man, was that a let-down. I'm glad Dreamworks is easing off the wall-to-wall pop culture references, but I really wish they'd lay off the Dreamworksy snark. But the biggest problem was, oddly enough, that the flick was utterly, utterly toothless. Beyond the fact that they set up "Megamind isn't really a bad guy deep down!" as subtly as a sledgehammer in the first five minutes, but Megamind never, ever actually did anything evil in the least. I didn't buy him as a supervillain for a second. Even Bowler Hat Guy in Meet The Robinsons, one of the most pathetic villains ever, managed a scene of actual menace, and that was in a Disney movie for chrissakes.

Maybe I'm pumping it up in retrospect, but Despicable Me did a much better job of having a villain as the lead, and managed to make him believably nasty even when they mixed in being a little washed up and his inevitable softening (which felt much more organic than Megamind's).

• Options
    I really didn't like Megamind, I never connected with any of the characters.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    2ohWien.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I liked Megamind a lot more than Despicable Me (which I thought was okay, but thoroughly by the numbers).

[edit] Yay, Brave! Boo 6 more months.

Glal on
  • Options
    Ah, so this is a Scottish-fest, eh? I can dig that.

...man, Craig Ferguson is doing a lot of voice work nowadays. Owl in Winnie-the-Pooh, that one viking in How to Train Your Dragon, and this.

Then again this was one of his first roles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyK5E8JbaC0

(Sadly there are practically zero Roddy MacStew clips on Youtube)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that is a pretty bad trailer

doesn't really make me want to see the film o.o

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Meh, it fits the quote given yesterday at least. Can't you see that she wants more!?

Looks like Pixar's aspiration with this film is to make a Disney movie.

Maybe that means they'll pull a Tangled on us and none of that will show up in the film at all.

EDIT: Also dig the Scottish-fest.

naengwen on
This discussion has been closed.