As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WOW] [CHAT] thread. 4.2 on the PTR, time to chuck woodland animals.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't really experienced many fights this expansion where I thought "Oh man, if I was a ranged this would be SO much easier!"

(All thoughts resultant of playing on 10man.)

Mawmaw - If I was ranged I'd have to deal with getting pillared and managing the adds.

ODS - Doesn't matter too much, other than being close to Toxitron when he does Poison Protocol, and for that I just drop Earthbind (if the Hunter hasn't trapped) and olololol for a few second before jumping on em'. Electron's shock thing isn't too big a deal. Not being able to stand in power generator if your tank positions badly is annoying, but it doesn't 'fuck' you.

Maloriak - Red phase everyone is subject to same shit. Blue phase? Ranged seems to get hit by the mass damage freeze more. Green phase? Just AoEing, bro.

Atramedes - Actually one of those fights where being a ranged is good, because you can continue to DPS on air phase. Doesn't make it 'hard' on melee, though - it's just inconvenient. And for the sound rings, I actually prefer to be melee. Atramedes' hit box is so huge that you've got more than enough room to dodge rings, and you don't have to worry about finishing a cast or anything like that.

Chim - Irrelevant.

Nef - Dunno, haven't fought him yet. Doesn't look too bad.

Halfus - Can't think of anything here that sucks for melee more than ranged, besides cramped placement of the fireballs, but even so they're still extremely easy to avoid.

Valiona + Theralion - Sometimes our druid or rogue will annoy the piss out of me by standing too close when Valiona's on the ground. It's kind of made up by the fact that I'm allowed to DPS my little heart out in the melee pile when Theralion is down, and jackshit else.

Council - Okay, kind of annoying to have to run all over the place to get buffs, then run back to my target. Chain lightning in the melee on p3 is balls, too.

Cho'gall - If you have a reasonable amount of ranged, not bad.

Same kind of observations from the Zuloics, too. I don't see how someone can say that Jin'do 'fucks over melee completely' when they have unambiguously the most favorable-to-melee P1 of any boss in this tier. And P2 isn't even that bad.

Venoxis, though, is a piece of shit. If two melee get Toxic Linked it's pretty much the worst thing ever.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ranged > melee

This is just a basic mmo concept, it won't go away anytime soon.

Panda4You on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some of those examples you give of melee's job being easier/safer in raids is countered by the fact that if your raid doesn't have (enough) ranged, you're screwed.

Ranlin on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For those encounters in particular, I mean.

Ranlin on
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Right, try do jin'do with three melee dps, then come back to me. (i as the rogue was foking adds off the healer and evasion tanking/Combat Readiness tanking as many melee as i could along with recup'ing to mitigate as much damage as i could.)

I haven't raided this tier so i have no idea in raids, but the point that is generally made is, if the fight doesn't out-right fuck over melee, then it would be better to have said melee be ranged.

Generally if you go heavy melee you are fairly fucked in a decent amount of fights (pre-cata, like i said i haven't raided this tier) but if you go Heavy ranged there is no drawback, infact its generally a bonus.

Thats what annoys me the most, i guess... that you could replace *all* melee dps in basically all fights blizzard has ever made with ranged and have there be no downside, and in alot of cases a plus...

To be fair to blizzard, i'm not sure what they can do about this execpt to stop making fights that *directly* fuck over melee, and from what you've said this tier has been good in that regard, so there is that.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
    edited May 2011
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Some of those examples you give of melee's job being easier/safer in raids is countered by the fact that if your raid doesn't have (enough) ranged, you're screwed.

Yeah, sure. Most fights are designed around a balance of ranged and melee, so skewing too far in either direction is going to be bad. V+T, yeah, if you have no ranged you get puddles and Engulfing Magic in the melee pile, which is just awful, but if you go all ranged you have no melee pile to run to to soak meteors.

You might say 'oh well ranged can just pile up,' and maybe YOUR guild can, but back when my guild was first trying the fight, we used to have ranged in one pile, and melee in another. It was HORRIBLE for the ranged because they took so much damage from puddles and meteors hitting them ALL at the same time. If you wanted the ranged to stay spread out and collapse on each other for melee, they have to be coordinated enough to stay in one area and pay a lot more attention; it doesn't make it a lick easier at all.

The idea that "oh well melee could just be ranged and it would be SO MUCH EASIER" is... I just don't get it. Most bosses have abilities that make life either inconvenient for the ranged or for the melee. Few are the bosses where either gets a "free pass."

My typical raid is:
    Main Tank: Protection Paladin
    Off-Tank: Protection Warrior
    Melee DPS: Combat Rogue
    Melee DPS: Feral Druid
    Melee DPS: Enhancement Shaman (me)
    Ranged DPS: Fire Mage
    Ranged DPS: Marksmanship Hunter / Balance Druid
    Healer: Restoration Druid
    Healer: Restoration Shaman

Yes we're druid heavy.

Dac on
  • NerdyHeritageNerdyHeritage Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    After weeks of floundering we finally got our shit together over the past two nights. Killed Chim in a few attempts. Straight up one shot Maloriak, and after ~4 shots at Atramedes before we downed him too. That leaves us with just Cho`Gall, Nefoxia, and Al Alkir, but I don't know where to push first.

We typically run:
    Off-Tank: Protection Paladin
    Ranged DPS: Arcane Mage
    Ranged DPS: Shadow Priest

The arcane mage is somewhat of a liability, but shows signs of improvement.

NerdyHeritage on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS: 0775 9129 1567 Black: 3267 4422 1986
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    After weeks of floundering we finally got our shit together over the past two nights. Killed Chim in a few attempts. Straight up one shot Maloriak, and after ~4 shots at Atramedes before we downed him too. That leaves us with just Cho`Gall, Nefoxia, and Al Alkir, but I don't know where to push first.

We typically run:
    Off-Tank: Protection Paladin
    Ranged DPS: Arcane Mage
    Ranged DPS: Shadow Priest

The arcane mage is somewhat of a liability, but shows signs of improvement.

Cho'gall and Al'akir are of proportionate difficulty to each other, I'd say. Cho probably a bit harder. In any case, you need strong ranged aoe for Cho'gall, and Al'akir you just need people to pay attention to not getting hit by shit (bit of add management in there as well). Honestly you could go for either/or first.

My guild did Cho first, followed by Al'akir. For the most part, Cho is pretty repetitive until P2. P1 bounces between heavy tank healing and heavy raid healing. Adds spawn, they die, blood adds spawn from that. It can get fairly hectic for ranged as you get more waves of blood spawning, but shouldn't be an issue if dps is good. You want no more than 4 blood puddles, otherwise you'll get overwhelmed. If your dps is really good, you can have the fourth add spawn, offtank it in a corner, and push Cho to P2, thus only having 3 bloods. P2 is a straight up burn phase, plus killing/interrupting tentacle adds every now and then.

Al'akir is a giant RNG clusterfuck, but entirely manageable once you know what to do. My guild splits the group into 3 sub groups for phase 1, and basically everyone just worries about themselves. P2, we have the melee fulltime on the boss and the ranged killing off adds to stack up the debuff on Al'akir. It's pretty easymode once you get into P3, just burn him down and pay attention to clouds/rod.

That all being said, I'd probably aim for Cho first. While Al'akir has tokens added to his loot table now in 4.1, it is not a guaranteed drop. There is much more useful loot from Cho. Good luck!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jin'do phase 2 is a much rougher dps check than it initially appears. To clear it smoothly, you need people to be able to maintain a fairly high level of dps not only on the chains but on the ghosts, and they need to do it during pretty intense movement (at least, compared to other five man encounters.)

It's comp-dependent too, to some extent. Melee are a lot less able to kill ghosts than ranged, and some ranged at a lot better at it than others.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I personally think al'akir is a lot easier than cho'gall. You can "cover" a subpar player a lot easier on al'akir; phase 2 is basically just stand and nuke, and phase 1 and 3 are simple once people have seen them a few times, and if one person fucks up and dies it's not really a big deal. On chogall, a couple people who lack situationally awareness can wipe you over and over again.

ed: especially now that al'akir has an equivalent (arguably, better) loot table, I'd go there first

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited May 2011
    The melee/ranged thing is kind of interesting; I think you have to go back to T6/sunwell raiding to find the last time mechanics really favored melee over ranged (and even then it wasn't fight mechanics really, it was how ridiculous windfury was.)

There's a dev blog somewhere that talks about how, originally, the advantage melee had was mobility. Since they could dps while running (for the most part), they had a significant edge on any fight involving movement. As time has gone on though, ranged classes have been designed with more and more mobility in mind (lolpvp), so that advantage has mostly gone away.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Oh man, old Windfury totem

Those were the days, man. The DAYS.

Arguing with Rogues and telling them to take the poison off their fucking mainhand because yes you dumbshit, Windfury is tits and YOU WANT IT FOREVER.

Dac on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dac wrote: »

Arguing with Rogues and telling them to take the poison off their fucking mainhand because yes you dumbshit, Windfury is tits and YOU WANT IT FOREVER.

Those people were such a pain in the ass.

So, in unrelated commentary: apparently miners can smelt enchanted thorium now!

Henroid on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ahh yes, fighting with the other warriors and rogues to be the one in the group with the shaman for WF.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

yeah, but the value of that is...?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

It might make it possible/easier/cheaper to smelt to skill up instead of mining.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Enchanted thorium blades are the best source of Greater Eternal essences, which can sell up to 20g a piece.

belligerent on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Heroth wrote: »
    Right, try do jin'do with three melee dps, then come back to me. (i as the rogue was foking adds off the healer and evasion tanking/Combat Readiness tanking as many melee as i could along with recup'ing to mitigate as much damage as i could.)

Did it last night. Me, rogue, DK and enhance shammy. The DK handled the shadow adds with ease while the rogue and enhance shammy dealt with chains.

JustinSane07 on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Got Al Akir down for the first time last night. We were having trouble on P3, which is wierd beause supposedly thats the easiest phase. I think part of it was just getting used to the 3d nature of the fight and actually getting people to worry about the "plane" they are in. On to Nef!

Also we spent about an hour on Heroic Halfus last night just for fun. Anyone have any tips for heroic halfus 10 man?

We only had 2 tanks, but they were both pallys, so double bubble/hand of protecton trouble!!!

We also tried 3 healing it.

I am just looking for general strats for it, if we need a third tank or 4th healer I am all ears.

Our strat was release Nether, Storm, and Time warden to start. Tank picks up halfus and drake, other tank picks up other two drakes (misdirect, tricks here).

Tank with Halfus gets 7 stacks of MS debuff, bubbles, clears bubble. Gets another 7 stacks, off tank taunts halfus, other tank taunts drake.

Repeat on other pally tank. Basically we always died soon after the taunt with one drake about to die.

Any tips? General ideas?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heroth wrote: »

Did it last night. Me, rogue, DK and enhance shammy. The DK handled the shadow adds with ease while the rogue and enhance shammy dealt with chains.

Not that I'm saying it's impossible with 3 melee DPS, but DKs are kind of a special case :)

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    edited May 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

It might make it possible/easier/cheaper to smelt to skill up instead of mining.

Having just been through that section of mining: nope!

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Got Al Akir down for the first time last night. We were having trouble on P3, which is wierd beause supposedly thats the easiest phase. I think part of it was just getting used to the 3d nature of the fight and actually getting people to worry about the "plane" they are in. On to Nef!

Also we spent about an hour on Heroic Halfus last night just for fun. Anyone have any tips for heroic halfus 10 man?

We only had 2 tanks, but they were both pallys, so double bubble/hand of protecton trouble!!!

I am just looking for general strats for it, if we need a third tank or 4th healer I am all ears.

Our strat was release Nether, Storm, and Time warden to start. Tank picks up halfus and drake, other tank picks up other two drakes (misdirect, tricks here).

Tank with Halfus gets 7 stacks of MS debuff, bubbles, clears bubble. Gets another 7 stacks, off tank taunts halfus, other tank taunts drake.

Repeat on other pally tank. Basically we always died soon after the taunt with one drake about to die.

Any tips? General ideas?

Not releasing the Whelps might be your problem. Without them released there's just a ton of AE damage.

We release all 4 at the same time (Nether, Storm, Time & Whelps)

I Pick up Whelps, Storm & Time (Prot Paladin) and our warrior tank picks up Nether and Boss. I have to immediately burn my 50% cooldown at this point. Tanking 2 drakes and all whelps tends to hurt...a lot. We go AE crazy at the start and burn whelps asap. Then single target down the drakes.

Also, do you have a Disc priest? Having one makes the fight considerably easier

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Full night on heroic chimaeron -- we got 18 attempts in and everyone seems a lot more comfortable. Our final pull we got him down to 8%, only managed to get him into the final phase one other time throughout the night. I don't know how we are supposed to heal through tanks getting one shotted though? They have like 190k hp.

Our best attempts came when we added a 7th healer, he logged on late so we only got four attempts with a 7th... all of them lasted at least 5 minutes.

ToddJewell on
    edited May 2011
    Jeez Outland goes by fast these days. I was 58 when I woke up and I'm going to be 64 before I go to sleep.

Had a DK in my Slave Pens run who wasn't wielding any weapons and needed lockboxes. I should have written down his name…

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    Full night on heroic chimaeron -- we got 18 attempts in and everyone seems a lot more comfortable. Our final pull we got him down to 8%, only managed to get him into the final phase one other time throughout the night. I don't know how we are supposed to heal through tanks getting one shotted though? They have like 190k hp.

Our best attempts came when we added a 7th healer, he logged on late so we only got four attempts with a 7th... all of them lasted at least 5 minutes.

What tank strategy are you using?

Your tank HAS to burn cooldowns when taking double attacks during feud. An unblocked double attack will one shot you every time. It can be really annoying too. I'm at like 99% total avoidance and every once and a while Chim will still land two unblocked hits on double attack.

Basren Dragonsnack on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »

The tanks getting one shot are one of two things; Either they're trying to tank with break or Chim just wants them dead sometimes. (Our DK took 325k total on one, even mitigated she would have exploded) They should be saving tanking cooldowns for the Feud. You definitely want 7 healers for your first kill, our first I think we had 8? (Depends on raid DPS and how many Mages you have for the last phase, Mirror Images are OP)

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Any tips? General ideas?

Not releasing the Whelps might be your problem. Without them released there's just a ton of AE damage.

I Pick up Whelps, Storm & Time (Prot Paladin) and our warrior tank picks up Nether and Boss. I have to immediately burn my 50% cooldown at this point. Tanking 2 drakes and all whelps tends to hurt...a lot. We go AE crazy at the start and burn whelps asap. Then single target down the drakes.

We dont release Time until storm is down. What we usually do is release Nether and have that tank (myself) take halfus. I tend to use shield wall during the first stack up and have avoidance set on. The fight is kind of RNG at this time as a tank going on a parry/dodge string at this time is extremely helpfull. We focus on storm with whatever aoe going out that can... we typically have fire mage or two and frost DK to down the whelps. They are usually down by the time storm goes down and sometimes (depending on luck) storm will be down as well on the first tank swap. Nether is next while someone releases Time and we start the tank swap. This fight you will know if you will beat it within the first couple minutes. You almost have to have a mage in the group in order to not eat the roars after the stuns. At that point you are just tank swapping as stacks fall and makeing sure people are healed up before the stuns and staying out of the fire.

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2011
    So my shaman, Earthmoother, is leveling sans exp heirlooms. I want to check out the Azeroth 1-60 content without blitzing through it.

Then I had an idea.

I'm going to get Loremaster of Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor without going to Outland, Northrend or Cataclysm.

I wonder what my level will cap at. I'm guessing 62.

JustinSane07 on
    edited May 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Any tips? General ideas?

We dont release Time until storm is down. What we usually do is release Nether and have that tank (myself) take halfus. I tend to use shield wall during the first stack up and have avoidance set on. The fight is kind of RNG at this time as a tank going on a parry/dodge string at this time is extremely helpfull. We focus on storm with whatever aoe going out that can... we typically have fire mage or two and frost DK to down the whelps. They are usually down by the time storm goes down and sometimes (depending on luck) storm will be down as well on the first tank swap. Nether is next while someone releases Time and we start the tank swap. This fight you will know if you will beat it within the first couple minutes. You almost have to have a mage in the group in order to not eat the roars after the stuns. At that point you are just tank swapping as stacks fall and makeing sure people are healed up before the stuns and staying out of the fire.

We've done it this way before as well. I think our first kill or so used this strategy. Since then, our gear has improved enough to where the tanks/healers can handle all drakes.

Basren Dragonsnack on
    edited May 2011
    snip

We've done it this way before as well. I think our first kill or so used this strategy. Since then, our gear has improved enough to where the tanks/healers can handle all drakes.

Yeah we just noticed that if we get bad strings not dodging and parrying and need to do a tank swap too soon it can just cause more pain because then you have to tank swap halfus with time or else your whelps tank might just die. We typically had the healing to last without the need to release time for that extra uncertain dmg on that tank :) Whatever works for you I would state.

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2011
    What tank strategy are you using?

Your tank HAS to burn cooldowns when taking double attacks during feud. An unblocked double attack will one shot you every time. It can be really annoying too. I'm at like 99% total avoidance and every once and a while Chim will still land two unblocked hits on double attack.
    We had three tanks -- Prot Pally and two prot warriors. We had specific cooldowns assigned to each feud but it seemed like even then they would occasionally just get obliterated.

ToddJewell on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I don't know how much it differs, since we're 10-man, but we found having 3 tanks just introduced more RNG and chances for mistakes.

What we do is have Tank 1 start taking breaks, Tank 2 takes double attacks.
    Tank 2 takes the first feud, so he doesn't have a break during the feud double attack (or maybe he does one break before the double?) This tank has to be constantly topped off, and needs somewhere around a 40%, preferably 50%, damage cooldown. I have Icebound Fortitude for one, Bone Shield+Stoneform+praying for the second, and Bone Shield + Army of the Dead if something is funky and neither of those is up.
    And, even though those should be enough to survive, we have our priest pop wings for backup.

And don't forget all the fun healer cooldowns, too. You just need to plan to be hit twice for 170k, so you need to be able to survive it.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    edited May 2011
    I actually think having 3 reduces the amount of RNG you need to deal with. A third tank (or dps) can take all stacks of break so a tank will never have to take a double attack with any stacks.

I understand that since they fixed feud to no longer happen two times in a row, 3 tanks is now unnecessary. We still run 2 tanks and a DPS DK to take break, however because its what we're used to.

Basren Dragonsnack on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Any tips? General ideas?
    Doing either 3 tanks or 4 healers, at least until you're easily farming the fight/outgear it, is probably the best way to get it down at first, as long as your 4 remaining DPS can actually put out decent numbers. The Berserk timer will be tight, but it's still doable, especially with how fast Halfus drops with 4-5 stacks of the debuff.

forty on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So we got H magmaw to 1% twice in a row last night.

Should pick it up tonight, phase 2 is such a cluster fuck, I love it.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Magmaw actually "dies" before he runs out of health. For us the fight always ends at 1%.

forty on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Magmaw actually "dies" before he runs out of health. For us the fight always ends at 1%.

Well given the size of his HP pool 1% constitutes a pretty large amount of HP once rounded.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I actually think having 3 reduces the amount of RNG you need to deal with. A third tank (or dps) can take all stacks of break so a tank will never have to take a double attack with any stacks.

I understand that since they fixed feud to no longer happen two times in a row, 3 tanks is now unnecessary. We still run 2 tanks and a DPS DK to take break, however because its what we're used to.

Adding in a 3rd tank just adds to the amount of people your healers have to focus heal on an already very hearler intensive fight and you also have to have your tanks taunt at exactly the right time always or else that dps tank will die on transitions. We were having these problems prior to 4.1 and we were going to try 2 tanking it but then 4.1 hit and we got Chimmy down in like 4 attempts afterwards two tanking it.

Also as someone else said mages or OP for p2.

Jubal77 on
    edited May 2011
    3 tank Chim is the best way to do Chim. 2 tank Chim is stupid.

With 3 tanks, your third tank in the rotation is treated as a DPS. They're not doing anything, they're just there letting Break stacks fall off. The whole point is so that your DS tank doesn't have any Break stacks from when they were MTing.

JustinSane07 on
    edited May 2011
    I feel stupid asking but why are mirror images OP for heroic chimmy?

ToddJewell on