As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] [CHAT] thread. 4.2 on the PTR, time to chuck woodland animals.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    3 tank Chim is the best way to do Chim. 2 tank Chim is stupid.

With 3 tanks, your third tank in the rotation is treated as a DPS. They're not doing anything, they're just there letting Break stacks fall off. The whole point is so that your DS tank doesn't have any Break stacks from when they were MTing.

You dont do it my way you must be dumb! I am sorry but spending 3 full days 3 tanking him prior to 4.1 and then getting him in 4 attempts as soon as 4.1 hits with 2 taqnking and 2 attempts the next week is indeed not stupid. When you actually stop to think about it, it actually makes more sense. You can no longer get back to back. The earliest we got it was on the second massacre the vast majority of them we get on the 3rd or 4th massacre now. You get him to P2 much faster with a dps not doing 50% + less dps of thier normal output.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I actually think having 3 reduces the amount of RNG you need to deal with. A third tank (or dps) can take all stacks of break so a tank will never have to take a double attack with any stacks.

I understand that since they fixed feud to no longer happen two times in a row, 3 tanks is now unnecessary. We still run 2 tanks and a DPS DK to take break, however because its what we're used to.

Adding in a 3rd tank just adds to the amount of people your healers have to focus heal on an already very hearler intensive fight and you also have to have your tanks taunt at exactly the right time always or else that dps tank will die on transitions. We were having these problems prior to 4.1 and we were going to try 2 tanking it but then 4.1 hit and we got Chimmy down in like 4 attempts afterwards two tanking it.

Also as someone else said mages or OP for p2.

The third tank is doing nothing in the fight but taking break so all they have to do is consistently be above 10,000 hps. I don't think that's adding that much additional strain to the healers. Especially since most of the fight the tank that is awaiting the next feud is taking 0 damage outside of massacres.

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    3 tank Chim is the best way to do Chim. 2 tank Chim is stupid.

With 3 tanks, your third tank in the rotation is treated as a DPS. They're not doing anything, they're just there letting Break stacks fall off. The whole point is so that your DS tank doesn't have any Break stacks from when they were MTing.

You dont do it my way you must be dumb! I am sorry but spending 3 full days 3 tanking him prior to 4.1 and then getting him in 4 attempts as soon as 4.1 hits with 2 taqnking and 2 attempts the next week is indeed not stupid. When you actually stop to think about it, it actually makes more sense. You can no longer get back to back. The earliest we got it was on the second massacre the vast majority of them we get on the 3rd or 4th massacre now. You get him to P2 much faster with a dps not doing 50% + less dps of thier normal output.

I agree, its no longer necessary with the 4.1 changes. We only continue to 3 tank it because its what we're used to and we're one shotting the boss either way. If someones learning the fight though and their issue is tanks getting one shot, making it so a tank with break never has to take double attacks could help save as much cooldowns for the Feuds as possible, running 3 tanks allows you to do this

Basren Dragonsnack on
    PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    I feel stupid asking but why are mirror images OP for heroic chimmy?

In the last phase (where there's no healing) Chim will eat them first instead of 1 shotting DPS. It gives your dps a few extra seconds.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I actually think having 3 reduces the amount of RNG you need to deal with. A third tank (or dps) can take all stacks of break so a tank will never have to take a double attack with any stacks.

I understand that since they fixed feud to no longer happen two times in a row, 3 tanks is now unnecessary. We still run 2 tanks and a DPS DK to take break, however because its what we're used to.

Adding in a 3rd tank just adds to the amount of people your healers have to focus heal on an already very hearler intensive fight and you also have to have your tanks taunt at exactly the right time always or else that dps tank will die on transitions. We were having these problems prior to 4.1 and we were going to try 2 tanking it but then 4.1 hit and we got Chimmy down in like 4 attempts afterwards two tanking it.

The third tank is doing nothing in the fight but taking break so all they have to do is consistently be above 10,000 hps. I don't think that's adding that much additional strain to the healers. Especially since most of the fight the tank that is awaiting the next feud is taking 0 damage outside of massacres.

And taunt at exactly the right time, and not get hit by slime at the same time they're melee'd, and give the healers another thing to worry about, and what's the point because you still need a tank to take a double attack during feud, and if you can do that you can certainly take one with breaks while the gas is on.

2 tank has no issues at all. Even before 4.1, the only issue was in the absolute worst case of feud timings.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Magmaw actually "dies" before he runs out of health. For us the fight always ends at 1%.

Well given the size of his HP pool 1% constitutes a pretty large amount of HP once rounded.
    My point was more that if you saw his health at 1% when your last person died and he despawned, you were probably literally just a few thousand damage from a kill. Like one or two seconds away from killing him.

forty on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just got roasted by Deathwing for the second time on this Horde character I've been tinkering around on.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still have yet to see Deathwing outside of quest driven appearances.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PierceNeck wrote: »

I haven't managed to see him yet either. He has, however, nuked me from space a few times, apparently.

Arryn on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't see him this time; I was on the edge of the Burning Steppes and ran into the hills thinking I can avoid it. I was watching out for him and he didn't show up anywhere, and I didn't see fire spraying out. Then all of a sudden, everything in my view engulfs in flame.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lostprophet8Lostprophet8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arryn wrote: »

I haven't managed to see him yet either. He has, however, nuked me from space a few times, apparently.

I have the chivo on a alt. I was questing in EPL and I went to go make a sandwich. When I came back EPL was burning to the ground and I was dead. :twisted:

Lostprophet8 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My first Deathwing attack of Cata came during one of the thousand Uldum cutscenes, so it was far more confusing.

forty on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Arryn wrote: »

Well, it was the only way he could be sure ...

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »
    ToddJewell wrote: »
    I feel stupid asking but why are mirror images OP for heroic chimmy?

In the last phase (where there's no healing) Chim will eat them first instead of 1 shotting DPS. It gives your dps a few extra seconds.

In the same vein, having hunter pets with growl on from the start will buy your threat dumping DPS more time.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TylanthusTylanthus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cncaudata wrote: »

And taunt at exactly the right time, and not get hit by slime at the same time they're melee'd, and give the healers another thing to worry about, and what's the point because you still need a tank to take a double attack during feud, and if you can do that you can certainly take one with breaks while the gas is on.

2 tank has no issues at all. Even before 4.1, the only issue was in the absolute worst case of feud timings.
    Having a third tank that could taunt at the right time and understand the fight as it unfolds would probably make the fight pretty easy. Our "dps" tank would taunt back too soon, miss a taunt back because he didn't see the double hit get parried/dodged, who knows what other issues he was having.

I don't understand how two tanking is stupid though... at least on 10 man. It obviously works just fine for a lot of raid groups. We found it better because it narrowed down our fail points to our regular tanks and healers.... who happen to be our best players.

Tylanthus on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I understand why people who learned it with three tanks would just continue that way... but I don't know why you'd learn it that way at this point.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Because it's super cool!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Omaigawd not only did my guild get Chimmy down earlier this week, but we just got Cho'gall down. 10/12 for the tier!

It's almost like we're competent.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I'm leveling my priest through Northrend and after doing these quests on literally like 12 alts I notice that the murloc suit that zips up the back that you get for the Winterfin cave quest also has googly eyes that pop out when you jump.

It's the little things that keep me coming back.

bDVib.jpg

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My favorite part about the suit is the one tendril thinger that doesn't match the others at all.

I just rolled up a DK to play frost spec for the first time since WotLK launched. Gonna see if I like it now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dunno what I'd do for a DK dps spec since Blood was always my favourite.

Oh! Wait! Which one has the qtbelf trainer in Acheron? That one.

Also, Henroid: we bronies.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Blood has always been my favorite too. Even when they changed it to the tank spec in Cataclysm; in fact, it made it MORE my favorite. I love the theme of the spec. The DK I mentioned above is undead because it's one of the few races I can really see being a 'frost' DK, from an immersive standing. I'm already thinking I'm not gonna enjoy it very much though, I'll see for the first couple levels in Outland. Not gonna hold my breath.

Also, the Unholy trainer in Acherus is the belf. Blood has just some human dude, and frost has the lich.

And yes Arivia, we are.
    1298180210621-n1300795390729.jpg

Henroid on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Heroic Atramedes should be easy as fuck. The only real difference in the fight is the 250k hp adds, which in Cata is nothing. It really just requires your raid members to play smarter than regular, not harder.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heroic Atramedes should be easy as fuck. The only real difference in the fight is the 250k hp adds, which in Cata is nothing. It really just requires your raid members to play smarter than regular, not harder.

We actually used to wipe more on Normal Atra vs Heroic since we went from the [run amok] strat to [alternate between two camps in an organized manner].

Also, totally random on Chim; A Hunter pet can intervene the first Double Strike during the feud phase, quite handy if you don't have Paladins for LoH. We've always used 2 1/2 tanks on 25 for him, 2 real tanks for Double Strike and a Frost DK or Ret Pally main tank.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did they forget to add the fun to the new dungeons? I haven't found any.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, ever since 4.2 I've been getting occasional broken camera angles in in-game cinematics.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Samphis wrote: »
    That's being implemented in a future patch.

Soon™

Halfmex on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

That only happens when you get in a good group, or just run it with friends. :P
    Henroid wrote: »
    My favorite part about the suit is the one tendril thinger that doesn't match the others at all.

I just rolled up a DK to play frost spec for the first time since WotLK launched. Gonna see if I like it now.

Has the rotation for endgame DK been improved? I tried it out on my guy but it just didn't cut it. I was under DPSing most of the time.

And then Unholy happened.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Riokenn wrote: »

Even with a good group or friends that shit is a god damn slog. But then I play a resto shaman and some of those fights are a giant fuck off.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, ever since 4.2 I've been getting occasional broken camera angles in in-game cinematics.
    Are you posting from the future?

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Has the rotation for endgame DK been improved? I tried it out on my guy but it just didn't cut it. I was under DPSing most of the time.

It's a lot less clunky now since you never have to blood strike and you pretty much only use Obliterate as your rune attack, except when you're putting diseases back up.

forty on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Halfmex wrote: »
    That's being implemented in a future patch.

Soon™

I feel sorry for the poor bastards who are trying to pug them. Especially the healers.

Nobody on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Ishtaar wrote: »

We actually used to wipe more on Normal Atra vs Heroic since we went from the [run amok] strat to [alternate between two camps in an organized manner].

Also, totally random on Chim; A Hunter pet can intervene the first Double Strike during the feud phase, quite handy if you don't have Paladins for LoH. We've always used 2 1/2 tanks on 25 for him, 2 real tanks for Double Strike and a Frost DK or Ret Pally main tank.

Yeah, the air phase is really stupid easy if you do it right. We set a strat of "Pre fight, pick a spot. That's your spot." The idea is wait for a modulation blast to hit your spot. Slliiiiddeeee to the left. Wait. Modulation Blast. Slllliiiiddeee to the right. Rinse. Repeat.

First couple of attempts?

At least half the raid was running around like retards. Me? I was just chilling back and forth and back and forth.

Of course, I learned the hard way you can't Feral Charge him. I wound up in his stomach when he casted modulation.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No, you're posting from the past. Get with times, buddy.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    At least 90% of raid encounters should be easy as fuck, but people are bad at WoW.

My guild still wipes to it at least a couple months after first getting it down since people just seem determined to fail.

forty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, the amount of entitled dps who keep pulling mobs in BC instances to inflate their meters is really pissing me off.

Please tell me things get better going into Cata content.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Uh, I mean 4.1. Haha... of course I don't mean 4.2... of course now...

... WELL BYE!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I wouldn't know, because I got bored of my DK in Outland as frost spec.

DKs are actually among my least favorite classes. I was on board with them at first, but then I realized how much cooler shaman and warriors are.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    Ugh, the amount of entitled dps who keep pulling mobs in BC instances to inflate their meters is really pissing me off.

Please tell me things get better going into Cata content.

It will, but not by a whole lot. The problem with older content is people see it as, well, older content, and think it can be breezed through as if a level 85 was taking them through the instance. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people playing the game have that happen for them so they don't really learn the whole cautionary side of running groups.

Also, new retarded thing discovered about MG: the Horde-side auction house has sharks that buy up recipes (and I'm talking about the 1 to 60 content recipes) and put them up for thousands of gold a piece. On the plus side, maybe I can get away with pricing shit for hundreds of gold instead.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It just makes me really annoyed the terrible habits these people are learning. Their situational awareness is so terrible, too - they have no sense of spacing, let alone the tight radiuses the BC instances take to.

I want to roll a healer just to watch them die. Maybe I will do that.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg