As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Learn me some Canada

1235»

• AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    Toronto has way better ethnic food than Monteal.

Plus, steamed hot dogs wtf.

Two words: Labelle Province
    the restaurant, not the province

Awk on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't consider poutine to be ethnic food.

(In fact, I don't even like poutine. And fucking steamed hot dogs.)

But sugar shacks are totally boss.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That depends on what you call ethnic. Poutine is 100%, without a doubt an ethnic food in the culturally distinct, foreign sense. But if you're determining ethnic by race rather than by geographical constraints, than no, it's not exactly naan bread or enchiladas.

I won't get started on this "not liking poutine" nonsense.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I like fries, I like cheese, I like gravy. But when you mix them together I see deep-fried carbs smothered in melted fat and then covered with more fat.

Perhaps it's that half my family is French-Canadian, so I'm used to all the food. I consider it local stuff, the same way I consider Ontario roots and stuff local stuff.

But regardless, outside of French-Canadian food, Montreal is hurting.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am told Montréal is a great place for smoked meat.

Also, poutine is totally great, what is wrong with you?

I went to La Banquise last month (big poutine place) and there was a ridiculous line up of people to get in (that was at about midnight). They had like 60 kinds of poutine. This place is the temple of gravy.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
    edited April 2011
    I'd rather eat pea soup.

Page- on
    stream
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Newfoundland has the best mussels anywhere.

You can also enjoy cod tongues. Although I don't like them personality, my whole family loves them.

Taya on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Loathing wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    Yeah when I cooked perogies I actually first fry up some bacon and onions together. I then boil the perogies for a little bit, and fry them in the left over bacon grease.

tres magnifique

This pretty much how I've made perogies my entire life, and it is awesome. They're even better if they're home made by someone that knows what they're doing.

And I know how Tim Hortons is this whole big Canadian thing, but unless it's just where I live, I find it to be awful. I don't drink coffee and their tea is brutal, and probably 8/10 times they can't make a proper hot chocolate. A lot of people that I work with have been switching over to McDonald's coffee when Roll up the Rim isn't around.

The donuts/timbits are good though.

It isn't just Kingston.

On another point, all good Canadians know that the bigger cities are just better. In every way.

Ever go out into rural Ontario? Yawn. Ottawa's pretty boring too, as is any other town I've visited.

Toronto is where it's at. I like to assume Montreal and Vancouver are similarly great.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should really travel to the other provinces some time. The farthest I've ever been in Canada is London, Ontario (I'm from Toronto).

Milk in bags is fucking awesome, and I can't imagine drinking it any other way.

Coffee crisp is one chocolate bar I hear alot of americans like, and is one of the few things we have that they don't. Coffee crisp is fucking awesome. I might go get one later from around the corner after work :)

Those fruit smoothies they have at Timmy's sucks big time. Do not buy one. They recently upped the cost of their coffee by something like 7 cents, and it was fucking news on the radio.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should really travel to the other provinces some time. The farthest I've ever been in Canada is London, Ontario (I'm from Toronto).

Coffee crisp is one chocolate bar I hear alot of americans like, and is one of the few things we have that they don't. Coffee crisp is fucking awesome. I might go get one later from around the corner after work :)

Those fruit smoothies they have at Timmy's sucks big time. Do not buy one. They recently upped the cost of their coffee by something like 7 cents, and it was fucking news on the radio.

The only time I ever drink Timmy's is during roll up the rim to win. Otherwise I avoid their products like the plague.

Comahawk on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Comahawk wrote: »

The only time I ever drink Timmy's is during roll up the rim to win. Otherwise I avoid their products like the plague.

ITT bloodtraitors

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tim Hortons is pretty terrible though.

Lucid on
  • Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't drink coffee, so I'm not sure how good theres is, I just grab chocolate milk and a muffin sometimes. Can't complain about their muffins, always good. I just hate the fact that if you don't want to wait in line, you pretty much have to go in the middle of the day.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
    edited April 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Comahawk wrote: »

ITT bloodtraitors

Their soup is worse than canned soup, their coffee is terrible, the donuts are a joke now... I will actually admit I love their cinnamon raisin bagels though. Recently though they have been managing to screw that up on me too. It seems like lately they have some terrible staffing and their products are gradually going downhill.

Comahawk on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The french vanilla is basically sugar and milk. I'm guessing they put in some brown food colouring to make it look like coffee.

I go to York University and there's like four in an around campus. Within two blocks on Keele Street alone there are two, and another two within campus buildings.

Also since we're pretty off-topic. How much do you think a trip to Montreal will cost? I'm talking like, 4-5 people, probably going without a car.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited April 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    The french vanilla is basically sugar and milk. I'm guessing they put in some brown food colouring to make it look like coffee.

I go to York University and there's like four in an around campus. Within two blocks on Keele Street alone there are two, and another two within campus buildings.

Also since we're pretty off-topic. How much do you think a trip to Montreal will cost? I'm talking like, 4-5 people, probably going without a car.

That really intends on what you want to do, level of accommodations you want, etc.

Comahawk on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah the only advantage Timmies has is it's cheap, and even that is slipping away.

If I want good coffee and want to support a Canadian company I go to Second Cup.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth