As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E D&D] (IC) Temple of Elemental Evil {Ruins of the Moathouse}

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Flight shifts slightly, hundreds of little beetles repositioning themselves.

"We are prepared."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User regular
    "We must keep an eye Lareth, just in case he does run.

"If the direct approach is what we are going to do, then I am ready.

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yargrosh's chest puffs out noticeably when he hears that Alfonse will accompany him through the door. He barks out a few commands to the gnolls, careful to keep his voice down. The gnolls growl and yip and you get the feeling that they agree with whatever Yargrosh told them.

Turning to Alfonse the large gnoll motions to the door before speaking, his voice full of pride at being selected to walk with the rogue:

"Come Master. Glory Awaits!"

Eagerly the gnoll approaches the door and swings it open with Alfonse beside him. Beyond the door lies a surprisingly clean and well lit passageway, 10 feet across. Two humans in ratty black cloaks and bearing the emblem of a golden eye of fire are patrolling along the corridor. They have clubs hung at their waist and are carrying shields. Both men start in surprise when the door opens but relax visibly when they see Yargrosh enter. Their attention turns to Alfonse and they reach for clubs, but a growl from the big gnoll makes them pause and then lower their hands. They are dressed in black tunics, though Alfonse notices some padding beneath the tunics that reminds him of leather armor.

The men watch, slightly dumbstruck, as Alfonse and Yargrosh pass by. Alfonse can feel the large gnoll twitch with excitement as they pass each guard; barely able to resist attacking.

Turning a corner at the end of the hallway the two enter into a much larger area. Two more guards are standing idly by. Beyond them Alfonse sees a set of tables in the middle of a larger area. A man dressed in chainmail sits at the table with a halberd propped up beside him. Along one of the walls is a slight recess where he can see the hint of a door which is closed. At the far back end of the room he can just make out an imposing Dragonborn in plate armor, with metallic black scales and a slight frill on his head. He is standing near some crates and barrels with his back turned to the hallway.

As soon as the two companions enter the larger room Yargrosh can no longer resist, and he lets out a yell which sounds almost like a roar,

"NOW SEE THE POWER OF THE NEW MASTERS!"

The battle cry is followed by a mighty howl which reverberates throughout the room, shaking a few pieces of artwork which line the walls as Yargrosh pounces at the nearest guard, his gnoll jaws agape, and bites down onto the man's neck. The sickening sound of breaking bone and ripping skin is accompanied by a shower of blood, and the man falls lifeless to the ground. Covered in blood Yargrosh turns to Alfonse, his eyes glazed over with the joy of battle.

"MASTER, STRIKE THEM DOWN AS YOU DID BRICHLUSH!"

Out in the hallway the rest of the pack howl in unison and begin to stream towards the doorway, consumed by bloodlust.

ROLL INITIATIVE!

Encounter Map
    moat33_rd1a.jpg

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Initiative: 19

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Walking side by side with Yargrosh, we walk past the guards. Looking to the back of the room I see the Dragonborn and the man in chainmail. Hoping to not to have been seen as we approach, that is until Yargrosh stops and makes our announcement. His words booming, and blood splattering, I make my way stealthily to a corner. I slink my way into a corner whilst my fingers reach for my shuriken. The group should be making their move as the massive voice of the gnoll reverberates through the hallway. I just wait for the right time to strike, and pray that my presence is not shown.
    Move:"Fleeting Ghost"=26 : F10

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 1

As the blood settles on the ground from his first kill Yargrosh immediately turns and steps towards the next guard, drawing a large, heavy club from his side. He swings the club in a wide arc before bringing it down on the man's skull. The guard slumps to the ground, dead.

Not breaking stride Yargrosh charges across the room with another mighty howl and jumps up onto the table, swinging his club at the guard seated behind it. The blow lands solidly against the man's armor but the weight of the chainmail seems to insulate him from any damage. Seeing the ineffectual attack the large gnoll screams into the human's face, foam starting to show at the corners of his mouth:

"YOU WILL BE TORN ASUNDER BY THE THREE TALON PACK AND THEIR NEW MASTERS!!"

Actions
    Yargrosh:
    • Minor: Draw Club
    • Move: Shift to H10
    • Standard: Club vs. Rabble 4 (AC: 17) -> Hit!
    • Action Point! -> Charge vs. Guard 3 (AC:21) -> Move to J5 -> Miss!

Encounter Map - Round 1b
    moat33_rd1b.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 150/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 1
    :arrow: (D29) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J4) Guard 3: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0
    (F10) Alfonse: HP 27/27 | AC:19 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 1
    (F29) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (F29) Gnoll 2: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F29) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (F29) Gnoll 1: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F29) Hyena 1: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (D25) Rabble 1: HP: 1/1 ¦ AC:17 F:13 R:11 W:11
    (E17) Rabble 2: HP: 1/1 ¦ AC:17 F:13 R:11 W:11
    (???) ?????????????
    (F29) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (F29) Gnoll 3: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F29) Hyena 3: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (???) ?????????????
    (F29) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) ?????????????

Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

[Up Next: Faergus] [On Deck: Guard 3]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Feargus worries over his left pauldron's loose strap. The damn thing will need replacing soon, but it'll look to hold for now. Quinn beside him looks calm, his eyes clear. In fact, they're all well-rested and ready as they'll ever be. The dragonborn is about to comment on this but is interrupted by the yelling down the corridor and the unmistakable sound of flesh getting pummeled. "We're on," he says to Quinn with a humorless grin before bursting through the door. A hapless guard stands nearby, and Faergus charges him.

Standard Action: Charge Hapless Guard (i.e. Rabble 1) with Virtuous Strike ending in D26
    Virtuous Strike vs Rabble 1 (AC 17): 1d20+10 -> 21 Hit! for 1d8+1d6+6 12 damage
    Move Action: Move from D26 to E21
    Minor Action: Roar to frighten Rabble 2
    Intimidate vs. Rabble 2: 1d20+8 -> 19

The dragonborn's sword drives straight through the guard, the look of surprise on the man's face almost comical. A boot stamps him clear of the blade, and Faergus is already moving towards the next guard, bellowing loud in the narrow corridor.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The guard sitting at the table lurches up to his feet in surprise at the sudden turn of events, grabbing for and readying the long polearm that was propped beside him. He turns his head slightly, not taking his eyes off of Yargrosh, and yells behind him:

"Lieutenant, we're under attack!"

The dragonborn was already turning around as Yargrosh leapt onto the table and his hand immediately goes to the sword at his hip. "Yargrosh! You flea-bitten mutt! HEEL!"

Yargrosh sneers back at the lieutenant, spittle flying from his mouth as he screams back at the newly identified combatant, "YARGROSH DOESN'T SERVE DREX NOW! YARGROSH DOESN'T SERVE OLD MASTER NOW! YARGROSH IS A MEMBER OF A NEW PACK AND WE WILL DESTROY YOU!"

Looking back at the guard, the dragonborn points to Yargrosh, his voice taking on the timber of command "Put this insane mongrel down, soldier!"

Nodding in affirmation the guard turns back to Yargrosh and takes a wide swinging arc with the axe blade at the end of the long shaft of his halberd which hits the gnoll squarely in the leg. Yelping in pain Yargrosh crashes in a heap onto the table and the guard continues his swing, preparing for the next strike.

Drex then turns his attention to the sound of bellowing coming from the corridor. The companions can hear the commotion inside the chamber from their various spots throughout the hallway and outside the room. Then you hear Drex's voice shout out, "The rest of you, grab your weapons. Some idiots have come to test your Master's will!"

Actions
    Guard 3:
    • Minor: Pickup Halberd
    • Move: Stand Up
    • Standard: Powerful Strike (rechargeable) vs. Yargrosh (AC:17) -> Hit! -> 10 damage and Yargrosh is knocked Prone

Encounter Map - Round 1c
    moat33_rd1c.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 140/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone
    (E21) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J4) Guard 3: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0
    :arrow: (F10) Alfonse: HP 27/27 | AC:19 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 1
    :arrow: (D29) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (F29) Gnoll 2: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F29) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (F29) Gnoll 1: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F29) Hyena 1: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (E17) Rabble 2: HP: 1/1 ¦ AC:17 F:13 R:11 W:11
    (???) ?????????????
    (F29) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (L3) Drex: HP 95/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1
    (???) ?????????????
    (???) ?????????????

Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

[Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: 2/3 of the Pack, Rabble 2, and I'm guessing reinforcements]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I see Drex commanding his guard to dispatch Yargrosh, whom had already fell victim to a nasty leg wound. My eyes on Drex, knowing if I can get him down first, maybe we can convince the others to stand down. My fingers rub the flat of the shuriken, and my tooth-pick rolling in the corner of my mouth. Hearing that Faergus was already coming down the hallway, I edge to the corner and silently run behind Yargrosh, hoping to use the table and him for and maintain cover from Drex. I already know the guard would be seeing me, and perhaps distract him from Yargosh.
    Move Action: "Fleeting Ghost" Move from F10 to I7
    Standard Action: Sneak Attack with Sly Flourish vs Drex (AC 20: 1d20+12 -> 32 Hit! Critical! for 1d6+10=16 + 1d6=5 = 21-> +10 SA =31 total damage

AP:
    Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Drex (AC 20: 1d20+12 -> 17 MISS!

THREE TALON DEFENSE ENGAGED! +2 BONUS TO AC

The shuriken fly through air, and hit Drex squarely and sickeningly true. A grin emerges from within my hood, and the tooth-pick standing erect. The shuriken returning back to my hand, thinking luck would be on my side, I send them flying again. They fly through the air and hit once again, but the shuriken harmlessly bounce off the metallic black scales of Drex's full plate. Knowing that, that was the last of my suprises, my fingers start to work for the daggers. I just pray that I'm still out of sight and still hidden enough from Drex to not be seen yet. With all attention on Yargrosh, I could only hope.

[Up Next: Quinn] [On Deck: 2/3 of the Pack, Rabble2, and I'm guessing reinforcements]

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    Chuckling at Faergus, Quinn booked it down the hallway, and charged towards the nearest guard. Off-balance from the snarling gnoll's battlecry, Quinn's sword swung wildly and struck the wall near the guard.
    Move Action: Move to D22.
    Standard Action: Charge Rabble2 and use Melee Basic Attack at the end of it.
    Attack Roll:[color] 1d20+8 = 10 = MISS

[Up Next: 2/3 of the Pack [On Deck: Rabble2, and I'm guessing reinforcements][size]

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The lone guard left in the hallway quakes in fear at the onrush of attackers; Faergus's roar having left him incredibly unnerved. He glances over his shoulder as he hears Drex scream in pain at Alfonse's attack, then tries to determine who he fears more between the two dragonborn. He neglects to notice the real threat to his livelihood until it's too late. With a howl the gnoll pack bursts through the doorway, rushing down the hall. The first gnoll pounces high in the air and lands on the guard, knocking him to the floor and ripping at his face and throat with claws and gnashing teeth. Another gnoll and a pair of the hyenas rush towards the greater conflict.

Across the room Alfonse notices another halberd-wielding, chainmail-wearing guardsman exit an alcove or adjacent room and move towards the tables upon which Yargrosh is currently lying prone. Taking up a position about 10 feet from the gnoll he swings the axe-blade of his weapon up into the air and brings it down onto the humanoid's chest, ripping armor and skin and causing a spurt of blood. Yargrosh howls in pain once more, his eyes glazing over in the madness of agony and battle.

Above the din of combat and the howling of gnolls the party begins to hear another sound; the sound of chairs being pushed back hastily and what seems to be a great many metal objects clanking together hastily. Alfonse notices that these noises are coming from the same area the guard came out of.

Actions:
    Gnoll 1
    • Move: To D22
    • Standard: Ferocious Charge (rechargeable) vs. Rabble 2(AC:17) -> End in E18 -> Hit! -> Rabble 2 is dead.

Hyena 1
    • Double Move: To E17

Hyena 2
    • Double Move: To E14

Gnoll 2
    • Double Move: To D15

Guard 2
    • Minor: Equip Halberd
    • Move: To L5
    • Standard: Halberd vs. Yargrosh(AC:17) -> Hit! -> 15 damage

??????? (x???)
    • Minor: Equip Weapon
    • Standard: Equip Shield

Encounter Map - Round 1d
    moat33_rd1d.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 125/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone
    (D29) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J4) Guard 3: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (I7) Alfonse: HP 27/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    (D18) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (E18) Gnoll 1: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (E17) Hyena 1: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (E14) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (D15) Gnoll 2: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (L5) Guard 2: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (???) ?????????????
    :arrow: (D29) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (L3) Drex: HP 64/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1
    (???) ?????????????
    (???) ?????????????

Effects

[Up Next: Flight] [On Deck: More Good Guys!, Drex, & More Bad Guys!]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Flight pushes forward, past the remains of the guards and our erstwhile allies. They elect to keep a more humanoid form for now, to keep ready use of staff and spell.
    Double move to D17

[Up Next:More Good Guys!, Drex, & More Bad Guys!] [On Deck: Valesti]

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 2

As the rest of the pack makes their way down the hallway the large, black-scaled dragonborn draws his sword and moves towards Yargrosh, still lying prone on the table. "Miserable cur! Time to be rid of you!" he shouts as he slashes at the gnoll, missing by a wide margin and slicing into the table with a thud. Wrenching the blade free with a twist as he spins around he brings the blade down again on a backhand, this time slicing into Yargrosh's shoulder.

Around the same time another human guard stumbles out of the alcove. He is wielding a halberd like the others but is wearing only what appears to be a long set of cotton underwear and a pair of leather boots that are still unstrapped. Rubbing his eyes wearily he blinks several times and spies Alfonse across the room. A wicked grin comes over his face as he prepares himself.

"What in the hell is going on out there?"

The shout seems to ring out above all of the commotion of the battle, bringing everything to a sort of awkward pause. The speaker is not readily apparent to anyone in the room but several of you see that Drex looks towards the still closed door and responds:

"Yargrosh has defected along with the rest of the gnolls! And they've brought friends!"

There are a few moments of silence, followed by a response from the voice, sounding slightly annoyed:

"Well then destroy them, you mindless dolt! And try and keep the noise to a minimum!"

"Yes, Master."

Yargrosh seizes the momentary lull in fighting and bounds to his feet. The table creaks under his massive frame as he towers far above the heads of both Drex and the human guards. He spits blood onto the table beneath him and points at the dragonborn, whisps of fire reaching out to lick at Drex's armor as he speaks:

Yes, puny lizard man; come destroy Yargrosh!

The large gnoll then brings his club around in an overheard arc and slams it into Drex's shoulder, buckling the soldier slightly.

Actions:
    Gnoll 3
    • Double Move to: E15

Hyena 3
    • Double Move: To F15

Drex
    • Minor: Equip Long Sword
    • Move: Shift to K4
    • Standard: Long Sword vs. Yargrosh (AC: 17) -> 1d20+12 = 15 - Miss!
      • Free Action: Martial Recovery -> Missing with an attack grants a melee basic attack against the same target -> 30 - Hit! -> 5 damage

Guard 1
    • Minor: Equip Weapon
    • Standard: Move to L7

Valesti
    • Double Move: To D19

Lareth
    • Free: Talk

Start of Round 2

Yargrosh
    • Minor: Demonic Challenge on Drex -> Drex is marked, takes 10 fire damage if an attack does not include Yargrosh
    • Standard: Club vs. Drex -> 1d20+11 -> 21 - Hit! -> 11 damage

Encounter Map - Round 2a
    moat33_rd2a.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 120/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    :arrow: (E21) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J4) Guard 3: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (I7) Alfonse: HP 27/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    (D18) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) ?????????????
    (D17) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (E15) Gnoll 3: HP 33/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (F15) Hyena 3: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (K4) Drex: HP 53/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1 | Marked - Yargrosh
    (L7) Guard 1: HP 44/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (D19) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) Lareth

Effects

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Spitting the guard had taken only a brief moment, but it was long enough for Faergus's comrades and the gnoll pack to pass him. "This won't do at all," he mutters and races to catch up, thumping down the corridor in his plate armor.

Standard and Move Action Combined: Move to I11

3seed on
  • Options

One of the guards spies Faergus barreling down the hallway towards the main group. He then looks up at the menacing gnoll on the table. Feeling a little more nervous than before he takes a step or two backwards and starts to swing his halberd again at Yargrosh's knees, stumbling as he does so. The blade passes harmlessly in front of the gnoll.

Actions:
    Guard 3
    • Recharge: Powerful Strike -> 5 - Success!
    • Move: Shift to J3
    • Standard: Powerful Strike vs. Yargrosh (AC:17) -> 16 - Miss!

Encounter Map - Round 2b
    moat33_rd2b.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 120/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    (I11) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J3) Guard 3: HP 44/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    :arrow: (I7) Alfonse: HP 27/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    :arrow: (D18) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) ?????????????
    (D17) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (K4) Drex: HP 53/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1 | Marked - Yargrosh
    (L7) Guard 1: HP 44/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (???) Lareth

Effects

[Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: Pack Attack, Guard 2, Red Shirts]

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Being a spectator to the assault on Yargrosh, I decide to take action. With Faergus and the rest of the pack drawing closer, I move past Yargrosh and in front of the shaken guard. Drex and the guards wanted to gang up on Yargrosh, well I can't stand for that. To make it a little more even, I let my shuriken fly upon all three enemies.

Move: I3
    Standard: Blinding Barrage{short blast 3(J3-L5)} VS Guard3(AC:21), Drex(AC:21), Guard2(AC:21)-> Guard3 AC:15 - Miss, Drex AC:18 - Miss, Guard2 AC:26 - Hit! -> 6 damage all targets (Guard2 - Blinded)

My barrage of shuriken find some chinks in the armor of the enemies, but sadly most glance off the well armored foes. My hopes of making more of a distraction was thwarted for the time being. Now, I just need the rest of the party to come in, so I can get back into a better ranged position. I also didn't like the look that the new guard gave me.

[Up Next: Quinn] [On Deck: 2/3 of the Pack, Rabble 2, and I'm guessing reinforcements]

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Quinn slid past the pack of gnolls, and stood next to Faergus. He pointed his longsword towards Drex and sang out a note of focused sound which traveled from the tip of the blade towards the dragonborn.
    Move Action: Move to H11.
    Standard Action: Use Staggering note on Drex.
    Attack Roll: 1d20+6 vs Will= 20 = HIT. 5 damage to Drex. In addition, Yargrosh gets a free melee basic attack on Drex (with the standard -2 to attack from being prone). Drex is not pushed back (I choose not to).

The note struck Drex in the chest, knocking him off balance enough that Yargrosh was inspired to strike at the dragonborn.

[Up Next: 2/3 of the Pack [On Deck: Rabble2, and I'm guessing reinforcements]

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Alfonse's shuriken slices through Drex's scales and flesh like butter, eliciting a scream of pain. The dragonborn looks at the thief with murderous intent, then opens his jaws fully and exhales a cloud of stinking green gas. The gas envelops Alfonse and Yargrosh, and even one of Drex's own men, burning their eyes and noses and eating away at their flesh.

A contingent of the gnolls and hyenas rushes across the chamber and into the fray. Drex fends off a bite from a hyena but leaves himself open for a claw from a gnoll. Another set of canine compatriots rushes one of the guards, seizing the opportunity to strike while the man is trying to clear the acid out of his eyes and mouth.

One of the more heavily armored guards shakes his head in pain, trying to clear the blood out of his eyes from Alfonse's flurry of attacks. Stumbling backwards slightly he heaves his halberd in front of him at anything that might threaten him. He's mildly surprised when the blade sinks into the flesh of one of the gnolls. The desperate power behind the attack drives the gnoll to the ground.

With a loud battle cry a contingent of guards rushes out of a side room. They throw themselves against the gnolls and hyenas, smashing with clubs or hurling javelins into the fracas if they are not able to reach an enemy.

Actions:
    Drex -> Bloodied Breath (Immediate Reaction) vs. (Alfonse, Yargrosh, Guard 3) -> Hit all 3 for 7 acid damage

Yargrosh -> Melee Basic vs. Drex -> Miss

Hyena 1 -> Move to H9 -> Charge vs. Drex (J4) -> Miss

Gnoll 1 -> Move to G11 -> Charge vs. Drex (K5) -> Hit! -> 7 damage

Hyena 2 -> Move to H7 -> Charge vs. Guard 1 (K7) -> Miss

Gnoll 2 -> Move to H9 -> Charge vs. Guard 1 (K6) -> Hit! -> 7 damage

Guard 2 -> Shift to M5 -> Powerful Strike/Halberd vs. Gnoll 2 -> Hit! -> 15 damage and knocked Prone

Rabble 5 -> Move to L6 -> Club vs. Gnoll 2 -> Hit -> 4 damage

Rabble 6 -> Move to M9 -> Charge Attack vs. Gnoll 1 (Move to L5) -> Hit -> 4 damage

Rabble 7 -> Move to M7 -> Javelin vs. Hyena 2 -> Miss -> Use Minor to draw Club

Rabble 8 -> Move to L3 -> Javelin vs. Hyena 1 -> Miss -> Use Minor to Draw Club

Rabble 9 -> Club vs. Hyena 2 -> Miss

Rabble 10 -> Move to L4 -> Club vs. Gnoll 1 -> Hit -> 4 damage

Encounter Map - Round 2c
    moat33_rd2c.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 113/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    (J3) Guard 3: HP 31/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Harried
    (I3) Alfonse: HP 20/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    (H11) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (K5) Gnoll 1: HP 25/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (J4) Hyena 1: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (K7) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (K6) Gnoll 2: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Blinded (EoNT Alfonse)
    (L6) Rabble 5: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L5) Rabble 6: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (M7) Rabble 7: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L3) Rabble 8: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L8) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L4) Rabble 10: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    :arrow: (D17) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (K4) Drex: HP 40/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1 | Bloodied!, | Harried
    (L7) Guard 1: HP 37/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Harried
    (???) Lareth

Effects
    • Harried - If a hyena is adjacent to an enemy, all other creatures have combat advantage against that enemy when making melee attacks.

[Up Next: Flight] [On Deck: Gnoll & Hyena 3, Drex & Guard 1]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Flight continues moving forward, hearing the fighting break out in intensity ahead. Realizing it would be another few seconds before the bulk of the insects would make it to the combat, a recently gained cluster broke off and surged ahead, settling into the shape of a giant frog. They buzzed out what sounded something like a croak, then a long tongue shot out at one of the guards, going a little wide.

This was fine. They were just getting warmed up. The rest of the swarm would be here in just a moment.
    Move: to G11
    Standard: Summon Giant Toad in I6
    Minor: Swarm Form!

Giant Toad: (Defenses are the same as Flight's, HP=16)
    Giant Toad (Wis vs. Reflex) eating Rabble 5: 1d20+6 10 MISS (somehow)

Up Next: Gnolls/Hyenas, Guards. On Deck: Valesti

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The battle continues to rage, with the last of the gnoll pack reaching the front lines. Storming past the oddly frog-shaped bundle of insects one of the hyenas leaps towards a halberd-wielding guard, biting him on the arm. The hyena's gnoll companion trots behind him, saliva dripping of his fangs and claws clicking against the stone floor. The gnoll maneuvers around the fray to take up a spot within reach of the same guard.

Seeing that his forces are pressed on all sides Drex draws himself up to his full height. The scales on the back of his head and neck rise up slightly and puff out in rage. "We have endured your mangy pack long enough. You have angered The Eye, and for that you will breath your last breath this day!"

Twisting his blade expertly he lashes out on at the three foes before him. The hyena barely has time to react before its head is cut cleanly from its shoulders. Yargrosh and the gnoll standing next to him both recoil slightly at the flurry of strikes that bypass their armor. Blood splashes out in all directions in a fine mist and the smaller gnoll doubles over slightly as the blows take their toll. Drawing the blade back, Drex surveys his handiwork as blood drips from the point of the sword onto the ground at his feet. "Show no mercy, men! Kill every single one of these interlopers!"

Across the room the guard who rushed out without having time to put on his armor takes a cautious step away from the pack ahead of him and, seeing the gnoll who was nearly felled by Drex's attack, thrusts his halberd straight into the beast's back. Howling in pain the gnoll nearly falls but manages to hang onto a sliver of life…for the moment.

Passive Perception - Flight
    As the swarm of beetles watches the skirmish sprawl out across the chamber some of them notice something strange on the ceiling of the room. A few tiny spiders crawl out from between the cracks in the stonework. Jet black in color they each seem to have a small, pulsating purple light emanating from their centers. Looking closer, the beetles buzz in surprise to see the glint of metal as the torchlight plays on the spiders' bodies.

After a few moments, the mechanical spiders retreat back into the ceiling and out of view.

Actions:
    Hyena 3 -> Move to H7 -> Charge vs. Guard 3 -> Hit! -> 4 damage

Gnoll 3 -> Move to H8 -> Move to I2

Drex -> Flurry of the Eye vs. Hyena 1, Yargrosh, Gnoll 1 -> Hit all 3! -> 18 damage -> Hyena 1 dies.

Guard 1 -> Shift to M6 -> Halberd vs. Gnoll 1 -> Hit! -> 6 damage

Encounter Map - Round 2d
    moat33_rd2d.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Yargrosh: HP 95/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    (J3) Guard 3: HP 27/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Harried
    (K5) Gnoll 1: HP 1/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (K6) Gnoll 2: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone | Bloodied!
    (K7) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (L6) Rabble 5: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule | Harried
    (L8) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule | Harried
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Blinded (EoNT Alfonse)
    (I6) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 16/16 | AC:18 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0
    (G11) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form
    (I4) Hyena 3: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (M6) Guard 1: HP 37/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    :arrow: (D19) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) Lareth

Effects
    • Harried - If a hyena is adjacent to an enemy, all other creatures have combat advantage against that enemy when making melee attacks.

[Up Next: Valesti] [On Deck: Lareth, Yargrosh]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Valesti hurried to keep up. As she advanced down the hallway, she always seemed to be a moment too late, bodies appearing before her. Screams and the sound of battle just out of sight. Finally, she rounded the corner, getting a good look at the scene. "By Goblinbane's axes..." Their time in this horrible place had been bloody and violent, but this was shaping up to be much worse. The gnolls were proving their value, but some of the pack were falling already. All she could do was ready her weapons and prepare for the worst.

Move + Standard = Move to I9.

[Up Next: Lareth, Yargrosh]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 3

Yargrosh hops down off of the table and turns his attention to the beleaguered soldier who now has a host of gnolls, hyenas and rogues surrounding him. Hefting his large club he swings it mightily, but errantly, and the wooden weapon slams into the ground, chipping the stone floor slightly. The large gnoll snarls menacingly, for added effect.

Actions:

Lareth -> No discernable actions

Yargrosh -> Shift to J4 -> Club vs. Guard 3 -> Miss

Encounter Map - Round 3a
    moat33_rd3a.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J4) Yargrosh: HP 95/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    :arrow: (I11) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (J3) Guard 3: HP 27/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Harried
    (K6) Gnoll 2: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone | Bloodied!
    (K7) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (L6) Rabble 5: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule | Harried
    (L8) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule | Harried
    (I2) Gnoll 3: HP 33/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (I4) Hyena 3: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (???) Lareth

Effects

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Faergus is unable to keep up with the much more mobile gnolls and his lighter armored comrades. It can't be helped, he thinks, as he pounds down the corridor in his heavy plate. At least when he hits, it'll be with the full force of the charge.

Move Action: Move to J6

Standard Action: Charge to J5, Attack Drex (K4; AC 20) with Virtuous Strike
    Virtuous Strike vs Drex (AC 20): 1d20+10+2 -> 16 Miss!

MinorAction: Divine Challenge Drex (K4)
    -> Drex is marked, and any attacks that do not include Faergus result in 8 points radiant damage to Drex.

Unfortunately, the table in the middle of the room trips up the paladin's charge and sends his sword sideways. Faergus recovers his footing quickly and challenges his foe, calling on Pelor's full might.

[Up Next: Guard 3] [On Deck:Alfonse, Quinn]

3seed on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Twirling his halberd in front of him the guard strikes out at the yipping hyena in front of him. The canine attempts to dodge out of the way but the blow strikes it squarely in the side of the neck. The blade of the weapon drives deep into the hyena's flesh and the dog whimpers for only a moment before collapsing to the floor.

Taking a more defensive pose, the armored man takes a few steps back to form a line with Drex, eyeing Alfonse and the gnoll.

At the sight of another hyena being felled, Yargrosh howls in anger, then lets out a low, menacing growl as he turns his attention to the guard.

Actions:
    Guard 3 Recharge (Fail) -> Halberd vs. Hyena 3 -> Hit! -> Shift to K3

Hyena 3 is dead.

Encounter Map - Round 3b
    moat33_rd3b.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (J5) Faergus: HP 35/35 | AC:23 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1
    (K3) Guard 3: HP 27/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    :arrow: (I3) Alfonse: HP 20/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    :arrow: (H11) Quinn: HP 33/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (K6) Gnoll 2: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Prone, | Bloodied!
    (K7) Hyena 2: HP 1/1 | AC:15 F :12 R :17 W :12 | AP: 0
    (L6) Rabble 5: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L8) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Blinded
    (K4) Drex: HP 40/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1 | Bloodied!, | Divine Challenge (Faergus)
    (I9) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (???) Lareth

Effects

[Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: A ton of dudes…]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Standing next to the once living Hyena, both Yargrosh and I are incensed. I tried to take a step back stealthy, but due to debris from the table, it had caused me to stumble, with no hopes of stealthy.

Move Action: Fleeting Ghost ->14 Move to H2
    Standard Action:
    Sly Flourish vs Guard3 (AC 21): 1d20+12 -> 31 Hit! -> 15 damage

Trying to save some sort of grace, once I gather my feet. I look back to the guard that fell the hyena, and let my shuriken fly. The shuriken bite through the links of the guards chainmail. With almost the entire party coming together, hopefully there is enough distraction, so that I can get better position.

[Up Next: Quinn] [On Deck: A ton of dudes...]

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Quinn moved up towards the enemies, positioning himself in front of the door. With a word, he attempted to bring some relief to one of the nearly fallen gnolls. He then charged toward the closest guard, attempting a Cuthbertian smite.
    Move Action: Move to H5.
    Minor Action: Majestic Word on Gnoll 1 (healing him for 13 and sliding him to J6).
    Standard Action: Charge using Virtuous Strike on Guard 3.
    Attack Roll: 1d20+12 vs AC= 21 = HIT. 12 damage to Guard 3.

After striking the guard, Quinn shouts to Flight and Valesti "come closer, when I smite this foe you will want to be near me!"

[Up Next: A ton of dudes... ][On Deck: Frog and Flight]

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The battle rages on in the small chambers. Casualties start to mount on both sides. The floor starts to become slick with the blood spilt by the combined efforts of the two opposing forces. The companions quickly find that their newfound allies take great pleasure in the dismemberment and destruction of their opponents.

One gnoll jumps back on top of the table in the center of the room and rakes his claws across the face of the guard in front of him. Blood sprays in every direction as the man screams suddenly before dropping to the ground in a heap.

A few feet away the sole remaining hyena yips greedily as it maneuvers to the side of a guard, taking a quick bite at the man's backside. The canine's canines miss the mark, but grab enough cloth to pull the man off balance. Seeing an opening the gnoll in front of the man lunges out and locks his jaws firmly around the man's throat. The entire room hears the crunch of bone and the gurgling of the man trying to scream as life leaves his body. Releasing the figure, the gnoll grins in satisfaction at the corpse as it collapses.

A few of the humans seem shaken by the brutality but grit their teeth and start to move into position to mount a counter attack. One brings his club down forcibly on the spine of the last hyena, driving it to the ground. The body twitches somewhat as another man steps over it and swings ineffectually at the gnoll in front of him.

Another man moves forward to complete the rank with Drex and an armored guard, catching Quinn with his shield extended somewhat. The club impacts Quinn in the ribs, causing him to take a sharp intake of breath but not damaging him extensively.

Keeping on the guard with his shield raised another guard moves to create a rank in front of the heavier fighters. A guard points towards one of the gnolls and the man swings wildly at it, missing completely. Sighing, the guard brings his halberd around in an arc, twisting the blade and posing slightly before bringing the blade down in an attempt to cut the beast in half. The man's posturing costs him as the blade misses the gnoll completely and smashes into the ground harmlessly.

Actions:
    Gnoll 1 - Move to K5 -> Claw vs Rabble 6 -> 1d20+8 = 23 - Hit! -> Rabble 6 dies

Hyena 2 - Shift to L7 -> Bite vs. Rabble 5 -> 1d20+7 = Miss!

Gnoll 2 - Bite vs. Rabble 5 -> 1d20+10 = 18 - Hit! -> Rabble 5 dies

Rabble 7 - Club vs. Hyena 2 -> 1d20+8 = 21 - Hit! -> Hyena 2 dies

Rabble 8 - Shift to K2 -> Club vs. Quinn -> 1d20+8 = 24 - Hit! - 4 damage

Rabble 9 - Shift to L7 -> Club vs. Gnoll 2 -> 1d20+8 = Miss!

Rabble 10 - Shift to L5 -> Club vs. Gnoll 2 -> 1d20+9 = Miss!

Guard 2 - Recharge = Success! -> Powerful Strike vs. Gnoll 2 -> 1d20+10 = Miss!

Encounter Map - Round 3c
    moat33_rd3c.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (K3) Guard 3: HP 13/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Reach 2
    (H2) Alfonse: HP 20/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    (J3) Quinn: HP 29/33 | AC:20 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Virtuous Strike
    (K5) Gnoll 1: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (K6) Gnoll 2: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (K2) Rabble 8: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L7) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (L5) Rabble 10: HP 1/1 | AC:19 F :15 R :13 W :13 | AP: 0 | Mob Rule
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (K4) Drex: HP 40/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 1 | Bloodied!, | Divine Challenge (Faergus)
    (???) Lareth

Effects

[Up Next: Flight, Summoned Frog] [On Deck: Gnoll 3, Drex, Guard 1]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    The swarm reacts to the words with haste, spilling down the corridor and into the open space left by a dead "pack-mate." Free from worrying about hitting an ally, the swarm lets loose a torrent of beetles on the massed guards, immediately overwhelming two of them. Acting in concert, the giant mechanical toad made up of tiny mechanical beetles lashes out with its tongue once more at Drex, wrapping it tightly around his waist and squeezing as it drags the warrior next to it, hoping to make a quick meal. Drex is able to throw off the tongue, but not before his armor nearly crumples under the force.
    Move to K7
    Standard: Swarming Locusts vs Reflex (Rabble 7, 9, 10, Guard 1, 2): 5#1d20+8 22 R7 HIT 12 R9 MISS 22 R10 HIT 11 G1 MISS 11 G2 MISS 1d8+6 10
    10 damage each to Rabble 7 and 10, DEAD. Rabble 9 and Guards 1 and 2 were missed. Zone is L5-M7
    Giant Toad Instinctive: Melee 3 Wisdom vs. Reflex (Toad vs. Drex): 1d20+6 26 TOAD CRITS! 1d8+5 13 I rolled maximum damage anyway!
    Toad pulls Drex two squares to I5, setting up easy flanking.

Up Next! Gnoll 3, Drex, Guard 1. On Deck! Valesti!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Drex looks around frantically after being pulled close to the Giant Frog's gaping maw, just able to deflect an attack from one of the gnolls who came bounding up to him. His injuries starting to take their toll, he turns and starts to run towards the entryway of the chamber, leaving the battle behind.

On the other side of the room one of the guards swats at the tiny mechanical bugs which fly and buzz around his head. The distraction is so great that he is unable to see the gnoll he attempts to target on the opposite side of the swarm. He swings his halberd out in the general direction of his enemies but it slices harmlessly through the air.

Actions:
    Gnoll 3 -> Charge vs. Drex -> 1d20+11 = 16 - Miss!

Drex -> (Move) Shift to H6 -> (Standard) Move to G11 -> (Action Point) Run to E18
    • Giant Frog has no actions of its own, so it cannot make an OA
    • Valesti -> OA Pending

Guard 1 -> Recharge (Fail) -> Halberd vs. Gnoll 1 -> 1d20+10 = 12 - Miss!

Encounter Map - Round 3d
    moat33_rd3d.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (K3) Guard 3: HP 1/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Reach 2
    (J3) Quinn: HP 29/33 | AC:20 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Virtuous Strike
    (K5) Gnoll 1: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (K7) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form
    (I4) Gnoll 3: HP 33/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (E18) Drex: HP 27/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Divine Challenge (Faergus), | Running
    (???) Lareth

Effects

[Up Next: OA From Valesti, Valesti's Turn] [On Deck: Lareth, Round 4, Yargrosh]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Valesti was surprised to see the dragonborn fleeing so frantically. "Why you...get back here, you little...!" She wasn't at all prepared for close quarters combat, swinging wide as Drex rushed past. The Dwarf followed as quickly as she could, shorter legs leaving her lagging behind. She was able to catch up at the corner, though, axe flying and returning as she skidded around the turn. The attack had wounded her enemy, but she wasn't quite satisfied. Stopping her pursuit for a moment to take a firmer throwing stance, both weapons sliced through the air toward Drex. That dark, cruel axe found its mark again before flying back to her hand, the other axe taking a chunk from the dragonborn's armor as it narrowly missed doing real damage.

She could tell he lieutenant was on his last legs. "Yield while you can, and maybe we can convince Yargrosh not to eat you."

OA vs Drex = 1d20+6=11 MISS!

Move Action = Move to F14.
    Minor Action = Declare Drex as Quarry.
    Standard Action = Nimble Strike vs Drex, Shift to E14 before attack.
    1d20+10=18 HIT!
    7+1d6+1d6=14 14 Damage!

(Action Point) Standard Action = Two-Fanged Strike vs Drex.
    1d20+10=25, 1d20+9=17 HIT! and MISS!
    7+1d6=11 11 Damage!

[Up Next: Lareth, Round 4, Yargrosh]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Interlude

The cacophony of battle grinds to an immediate halt as an awkward sound emits from beyond the wood-framed door behind the companions. Metal grinds on metal and the faintest groaning of gears is heard, then the portal swings open.

Catching a glimpse of the room you can tell that it is quite opulent, with thick rugs covering the floor and a large, soft chair that is set in front of a polished and massive wooden desk. The faintest smell of incense wafts from a brazier burning steadily in the room.

Your attention is drawn away from the room itself and onto the figure which now stands within the doorway. Clad in black plate mail polished so thoroughly that it reflects light in an almost magical way the man cuts an imposing figure. A flowing red velvet cape is pinned at his throat with a golden eye of fire. In one mailed gauntlet he holds a wicked barbed scepter, while the other rests casually at his hip, fingers clenching and unclenching in an almost nonchalant way. The man's face is strikingly handsome, and yet incredibly severe.

His eyes are a deep blue but seem to lack any warmth about them. They scan the room in an almost mechanical way, settling on Yargrosh. The large gnoll seems to immediately shrink, almost in terror, from the fixated gaze. The man lets out a small sigh, almost as if inconvenienced, before speaking. His voice is clear and powerful. You also catch a hint of exasperation at being interrupted.

"Yargrosh, you really have made quite a mess, haven't you. That's not like you. If you were unhappy, I would have thought you would come to me. Instead you turn on me…and after everything I've done for you. I'm deeply disappointed."

The man's tone stays even and matter-of-fact throughout, though it does sound as if he is truly hurt by the gnoll's betrayal. Yargrosh's shoulders slump after hearing the words, and he looks decidedly unnerved and ashamed. The other gnolls likewise look unsure of what they should do.

Turning to Faergus he holds his free hand out, palm up in a symbol of hospitality. "A Paladin of Pelor graces my chamber. Welcome, I am Lareth. I am Master of this place and, until recently it seems, all of its denizens. Let us stop these hostilities. Surely the Shining One still values life over this senseless violence? Please, ask your friends to sheathe your weapons and let us settle our differences amicably."

As if to show his sincerity he waves his hand towards the remaining guards who then lower their weapons. The men keep a defensive posture, however.

Passive Insight >= 20 (Flight, Faergus)
    You sense a sinister undercurrent in the man's voice. He seems genuinely interested in hearing what you have to say, but you're not sure that his motivations are as pure as he makes them out to be.

Actions:
    Lareth -> (Move) to G5 -> (Minor) Open Door

Encounter Map - Interlude
    moat33_rd3e.jpg

Stats & Initiative
    (K3) Guard 3: HP 1/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Reach 2
    (K5) Gnoll 1: HP 14/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (K7) Flight: HP 33/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form
    (I4) Gnoll 3: HP 33/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (E18) Drex: HP 2/95 | AC:20 F :18 R :16 W :15 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Divine Challenge (Faergus), | Running
    (E14) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0
    (G5) Lareth: HP 184/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 1 | Ward of Vitality

Effects

[Up Next: Shall We Talk It Out?] [On Deck: Lareth's Standard Action, Round 4, Yargrosh]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Flight returns to the most human-like form it can manage, then steps forward to stand by the rest of its side.

"He is technically telling the truth," they inform their companions, "but only just."

Then, to Lareth, "You have seen others like us, yes?"

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The action around Faergus slows, and the Dragonborn lets his opponents disengage. The clamor of weapons dies falls away, leaving only the wimpers and groans of the wounded. That and the trembling of the once-furious gnolls before this figure in black plate.

There's something about Lareth that grates on the Paladin's eyes; a sense of something true bent out of shape--a cup full of poison instead of cool, clear water. The light reflected off his ebon armor doesn't shine true. Lareth's words are just as off kilter. Obfuscation rather than illumination. Faergus sighs.

"It's true the Pelor guides us towards mercy, and if that's what you seek, then you shall have it. Surrender now, and it will be yours. Drop your weapons and tell your men to do the same. If you do not, then it's not mercy you seek, but some other twisted goal, and we shall have none of it. You have till the count of five to answer."

Faergus begins his count, thinking that neither Pelor nor his Uncle Herbert raised him to be a fool.

3seed on
  • Options
    "Where is the Countess Tillahi, and the other hostages?"

• Options
    Drex Flees

Drex stumbles and slams against the wall as Valesti's magical handaxe cuts through his armor and leaves him near death's door. Not stopping to turn around he drags himself along the wall leaving smears or blood behind and, barely conscious, careens off the doorway and into the hall outside the chamber. Valesti hears his footfalls, uneven and clumsy from the loss of blood, echo off the stone walls of the outer hallway for a few moments before they fade away.

Conversation with Lareth

Lareth listens intently to the companions as they speak, turning his full attention to each as they say their piece. A slight smile curls at the edge of his lips at Faergus's demands which only intensifies as the dragonborn begins to count.

Maintaining eye contact with Faergus he waits patiently until just the absolute last moment before the "Five" escapes the paladin's lips.

"Well then, it would appear that there is much to talk about, though I fear that many of your questions could have been answered by any of the men that you brutally murdered as they attempted to defend their homes."

The smile on his lips hardens slightly, and his eyes take on a sadistic look.

"But then, we'll never know. It's funny how the 'good' in one is expressed, wouldn't you say?"

Acknowledging Flight with a nod while not taking his eyes off Faergus, Lareth continues. "Yes. I have seen something…like…you. What that is or where is another question entirely; a question which comes with a price. What are you willing to give up to know the answer? I could use a good set of eyes; especially several thousand sets of eyes. Perhaps I could provide you with the information you request in exchange for your loyalty?"

Hearing Alfonse's question Lareth's face brightens somewhat. "Aha! Quite a nugget of information you've given me. You've answered much for me with that question, young man. I now know why you're here and I'm sure with a few well-placed inquiries I can find out who sent you. Now, I am not an unfair man, so I will give you a reward for providing me with such information. The elf maiden you refer to is not within these walls. She was taken from here nearly a fortnight ago."

Looking more sternly at Faergus, Lareth concludes his haughty dialogue, "Now I'm sure the next question would be 'Where was she taken?', but it would appear that your Dragonborn friend has other ideas. I do not think that you are in the best position to be offering ME terms of surrender. In fact, it should probably be the other way around. I could crush you like a bug under my boot, if I so desired."

Looking at Flight he adds, "No offense meant."

He waves his free hand dismissively after focusing back on Faergus, "The fact that you still breathe is a testament to my hospitality, and you shouldn't take that for granted. In fact, I will show you my unending mercy. I offer you these terms: You and your compatriots leave this place, unharmed and unhindered and with the knowledge you have gained."

His voice takes on a serious, deadly edge, "But you leave the gnolls behind."

A look of genuine fear washes over Yargrosh's face as he cowers in place.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Valesti slowed to a stop, cursing under her breath as the dragonborn escaped. She wasn't made for chasing down enemies. That was why you threw an axe in the first place, so you didn't have to worry about closing the distance. Noticing the eery silence she left behind, the Dwarf cautiously skulked back down the hallway...peeking around the corner as she overheard most of this conversation. Her hands clenched her weapons tight...

Stealth = 1d20+9=18
    Move to G10.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The collective buzzes a moment, then replies. "No offense taken. We are not 'a' bug."
    Insight: 1d20+11 19 Is he telling the truth about knowing where more mechanical bugs are?
    Perception: 1d20+11 20 Can Flight catch a glimpse of those spiders from earlier?

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    "It doesn't matter as to who sent us, we are not here solely for you, as much as your ego would like it to be. We are looking for the Countess, and yes your "Men" did tell me with their limited knowledge of any hostages. Many of your men that did fall, did so on their own accord."

"Just as you are showing us "Mercy", we did the same for your fallen, and they chose unwisely. Which is why we are here now to find the information directly. You say you know what my next question will be, and that information hangs in the balance of this Dragonborn's next words. Would we be in the same position as your fallen men, if the Dragonborn says something that doesn't please you? We do however would like to know, where and who has custody of the Countess."

"As for the gnolls, I think it would be their choice if they wanted to stay or go." Looking at Yargrosh, then back to Lareth. "We usually try the diplomatic approach, but that doesn't always work. When it doesn't... that's usually when the death and your so called "Murder" ensues. Those who deal with kidnapping, stealing, the black market, some sort of uprising or have their fingers in slave trade, are used to that are they not, because that's 'evil' by nature, right?"

Diplomacy: 1d20+3 12 Hopefully in aid to response from Faergus
    Insight: 1d20+1 4 any more possible leads....

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    Flight
    Lareth seems genuine, both in his interest in your collective as well as in his assessment of knowing of others.

You do not see any sign of the spiders from earlier.

• Options
    Remaining focused on Faergus, Lareth does not even appear to have heard Alfonse's or Flight's comments. He seems intently interested in seeing what the dragonborn paladin of Pelor's response will be.