Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[4E D&D] (IC) Temple of Elemental Evil {Ruins of the Moathouse}

11011121315

Posts

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    "This one knows where more of us are. We need this information." They are not clear as to if they speak of the group as a whole or just Flight.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Listen boy," the voice of his memory says, the armsmaster towering over Faergus, "when your oponent starts yapping away, it's either because they're offering terms, taking terms, or after something their weapons won't get them. So if they're not surrendering, then you might as well keep swinging." The old fellow had smiled then, the gap in his teeth clear. Old Wisdom the other armsmasters called him, and who was Faergus to argue with that.

    Faergus lifts his longsward and begins his charge towards Lareth.

    Move to H6, if Lareth lets me, with every intention of attacking. Will resolve the attack once his held action triggers.

    At least, Faergus still has all his teeth. For now.

    3seed on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    Quinn coughed a little and steadied himself. "Lareth, your honied words will get you nowhere fast. My friends have seen through your duplicity. If you would not surrender and face justice, we'll draw the information we seek from your corpse as you hang from the gibbet." He spat, and then smiled "or, if not that, perhaps something more painful." He raised his swordarm and aimed his weapon squarely at the face of Lareth. "Let's see if we can wipe that smile off of your face."

    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 3

    Lareth's face distorts in rage as the dragonborn hurtles off of the table and across the room. His eyes take on a glint akin to a madman's and his voice cracks as he screams:

    "Fool!"

    The single word slams through the ranks of the companions, crashing into the far wall and reverberating. Dust and rocks dislodge from the stone of the walls and ceiling, creating a cloud of particles that then quickly settles to the floor. Each of the party is hurtled towards the far wall by the force of the attack. When everyone gathers their senses and checks their surroundings they find that everyone has been pushed away from Lareth, except for Alfonse. The human rogue stands alone next to the man, having been slid towards him instead of away.

    Powerfully built and significantly taller Lareth peers down at Alfonse, hate and fury burning in his gaze.

    "Talkative little whelp! Your blood will be the first to be offered to The Weaver of Chaos!"

    Religion (Automatic) - Quinn
    Lareth wears the symbol of the flaming eye prominently; both on the clasp of his cloak as well as stamped on his blackened breastplate. This symbol is known to followers of St. Cuthbert immediately as that of Iuz the Old, mortal enemy of St. Cuthbert.

    Iuz is known by many name:. Iuz the Old, Iuz the Deceitful, The Old One, Old Wicked, and many other names. Never has he been referred to as the "Weaver of Chaos".

    Actions:
    Lareth -> (Standard) Commanding Voice (burst 5)
    • Attack Rolls vs. Will
    • Damage Roll = 10 psychic (Max!)
    • vs. Alfonse (14) = 27 - Hit!
    • vs. Gnoll 3 (10) = 24 - Hit!
    • vs. Summoned Frog (18) = 24 - Hit!
    • vs. Quinn (17) = 19 - Hit!
    • vs. Yargrosh (10) = 15 - Hit!
    • vs. Faergus (17) = 25 - Hit!
    • vs. Gnoll 1 (10) = 15 - Hit!
    • vs. Gnoll 2 (10) = 11 - Hit!
    • vs. Flight (18) = 28 - Hit!

    Effect: Lareth slides hit targets 2 squares
    • Alfonse -> J2
    • Gnoll 3 -> K4
    • Summoned Frog -> To I8
    • Quinn -> L5
    • Yargrosh -> L4
    • Faergus -> J7 -> Forced movement interrupts Faergus's charge, which means the action is wasted.
    • Gnoll 1 -> L6
    • Gnoll 2 -> M7
    • Flight -> To I9

    Encounter Map - Round 3
    moat33_rd3f.jpg


    Stats & Initiative
    (L4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    (K3) Guard 3: HP 1/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Reach 2
    (H4) Alfonse: HP 10/27 | AC:19 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (L5) Quinn: HP 19/33 | AC:20 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Virtuous Strike
    (L6) Gnoll 1: HP 4/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (M7) Gnoll 2: HP 4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (K2) Rabble 8: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :13 R :11 W :11 | AP: 0
    (L7) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :13 R :11 W :11 | AP: 0 | Swarm of Locusts
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (I9) Flight: HP 23/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (I8) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 6/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0
    (K4) Gnoll 3: HP 23/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (M6) Guard 1: HP 37/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (G10) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0
    (G5) Lareth: HP 184/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 1 | Ward of Vitality
    (J7) Faergus: HP 25/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 14 | AP: 1

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Faergus's Move/Minor] [On Deck: Round 4, Yargrosh, Guard 3]

  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Faergus shakes off the lingering effects of the attack. There's no denying the power at the man's command, but what purpose does it serve? That's the difference between Lareth and Faergus. No amount of honeyed words or arrogance can hide this casual disregard for life.

    The paladin knows his duty. Legs steady under him, Faergus strides towards the black-mailed figure, yelling out his challenge. With a gesture, the divine power of Pelor, shields the wobbling Alfonse.

    Immediate Reaction: Shield of Devotion on Alfonse
    Effect: Alfonse gains 6 hit points and Faergus has a +2 to hit on his next attack on Lareth.
    Move Action: Move to H5

    Action Point!

    Standard Action: Majestic Halo vs. Lareth (G5)
    Majestic Halo vs Lareth (AC 22): 1d20+10+2 -> 18 Miss!
    Immediate Reaction: Punish the Malevolent
    Effect: The attack hits and does 22 HP of damage. Enemies starting their turns next to Faergus are under Divine Sanction.

    Minor Action: Lay on Hands on Alfonse
    Effect: Faergus spends a healing surge, and Alfonse gains hit points as if the rogue spent a healing surge.
    [/spoiler]

    The dragonborn's sword shines with divine light. The swing looks to go wide, but the paladin feels another pair of hands steady his own, biting the sword deep into Lareth's shoulder. Faergus is not unused to divine help, but this touch is unfamiliar. There will be time to investigate later. For now, he recovers his balance before reaching out to Alfonse, to infuse him with even more vitality and bring a shine back to the tooth-picking chewing rogue's eyes.

    [Up Next: Yargrosh, Guard 3] [On Deck: Alfonse, Quinn]

    3seed on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 4

    The largest of the gnolls stands powerless, stricken by fear at the sight of his former master. Even as the sounds of battle start to ring out around him he remains motionless, catatonic and unable to act. Movement from his flank finally brought him back to reality as one of the guards attempted to bring his halberd to bear.

    In an instant the slack jaw and slumped frame of the gnoll disappeared, replaced by unbridled fury. Stepping past the halberd's blade Yargrosh slams his club down into the guard's skull, flattening his helmet against his face and crumpling the man to the floor. A low, ominous growl escapes his lips as he stares down the lightly armored guard still before him and steps closer for the next kill.

    Actions:
    Yargrosh -> (Standard) Club vs. Guard 3 = 26 - Hit! -> Guard 3 is dead -> (Move) Shift to K3

    Encounter Map - Round 4
    moat33_rd4a.jpg


    Stats & Initiative
    (K3) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0
    (H4) Alfonse: HP 22/27 | AC:19 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0
    (L5) Quinn: HP 19/33 | AC:20 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (L6) Gnoll 1: HP 4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (M7) Gnoll 2: HP 4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 38/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (K2) Rabble 8: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :13 R :11 W :11 | AP: 0
    (L7) Rabble 9: HP 1/1 | AC:17 F :13 R :11 W :11 | AP: 0 | Swarm of Locusts
    (I9) Flight: HP 23/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1
    (I8) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 6/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0
    (K4) Gnoll 3: HP 23/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0
    (M6) Guard 1: HP 37/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (G10) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0
    (G5) Lareth: HP 162/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 1 | Ward of Vitality
    (H5) Faergus: HP 25/35 | AC:21 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 13 | AP: 1
    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: Gnoll 1,2, Guard 2, Rabble 8, 9]

    Illianthar on
  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    The booming voice was deafening to my ears, my eyes shut in pain, toothpick almost falling out of my mouth. I start to double over with my hands over my ears, my legs start walking me away from the western wall which was reflecting the sound back to me. As the voice stops, I open my eyes staring at my boots, I lower my hands from my ears and exam them. My palms were smeared with blood, as i tried refocusing my sight on my palms, I noticed drops of blood falling from my face and onto the floor. Focusing still, next to the drops of blood on the floor, I see a corner of a door, and just inside that another set of black metal boots. Following the feet, to the black armored legs, a scepter held by gauntlet next to the side of a suit a plate mail, a symbol of a flaming eye, used as a clasp to pin a cape, and just above that the beautiful yet glaring face of Lareth.

    Directed at me, Lareth starts to yell, I'm still reeling and trying to regain my composure, when I hear Faergus yell. I hear the sound of metal colliding. Moments later my constitution feels a little higher, and my wounds seem not to hurt as much. Finally with clear eyes I see Faergus standing next to me a shining and godly glow erupts from him. Behind me I hear the sound of Yargrosh's club connect with metal. Looking back at Lareth, my view of him starts to be cropped the the jamb of the doorway, in my mind though, I know exactly where he stands. I attempt to slink back towards the corner of the room.

    Move: Fleeting Ghost to H2
    Fleeting Ghost: 1d20+12->25

    Standard: Sly Flourish vs Lareth
    Sly Flourish vs Lareth (AC 22+5(cover)->27-2(CA)->25): 1d20+12-> 30 Hit!
    Sly Flourish Damage: 1d6+10->13 SA: 2d8->7 Total Damage: 20

    [Up next: Lareth-OA,Quinn] [On Deck: Gnoll 1,2, Guard 2, Rabble 8,9]

  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Spying Alfonse trying to slink away, Lareth swings the wicked looking scepter he carries at the rogue.

    "Get back here you little twerp!"

    The blow catches the doorframe, however, taking a sizeable chunk out of the wood. Focusing his concentration back on the paladin of Pelor standing before him, Lareth is noticeably surprised when a shuriken finds its way between the plates of his armor and sinks deeply into his chest. He lets out a small grunt as a trickle of blood runs it's way down his side.

    Opportunity Action
    Lareth -> OA vs. Alfonse -> 1d20+11 (-2 Cover) = 12 - Miss

    [Up next: Quinn] [On Deck: Gnoll 1,2, Guard 2, Rabble 8,9]

  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Quinn shook his head to clear it, and clenched his teeth. Turning towards the closest guard, he began to sing a song quietly, one that built in volume until the room could hear it. The song was of a valiant knight that fought a despicable wizard to save his kingdom. The song reached a part where the knight put himself into harms way to prevent the murder of a child, and as Quinn sang of this, he struck the guard in front of him.
    Standard Action: Inspiring Refrain on Guard 2
    Attack Roll: 1d20+13 vs. AC = 16, Miss.

    Quinn's longsword was deflected easily by the guard, and his voice cracked shakily. He sang through the mistake, and continued the story through his song until he reached the point where the knight had the wizard at his mercy. As he sang the clear notes of the knight's dilemma, he attempted to find purchase with another strike of the blade.
    Action Point: Standard Action: Verse of Triumph on Guard 2
    Attack Roll: 1d20+13 vs. AC = 31! Hit!
    Damage Roll: 13 damage.
    EFFECT UNTIL THE END OF COMBAT: ALL ALLIES (including gnolls) have +1 to damage, +1 to saving throws, and whenever an enemy drops unconscious, all allies within 5 squares of the person may shift 1 square as a free action.

    This time when he sang out the note, it was clear and true. The knight spared the wizard, and through his mercy, the wizard saw grace, and realized his wickedness. The virtue of mercy stayed the hand of the knight, and as Quinn said these words he looked at the guard with steel in his eyes.

    [Up next: Gnoll 1,2][On Deck: Guard 2, Rabble 8,9]

    Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 4

    Sensing that Yargrosh has snapped out of his malaise, the other gnolls renew their furious assault on the enemies of the pack. One grabs a leather-clad guard by the shoulder and then drives his talons through the man's neck. The grisly act seems to captivate all of the enemy combatants, giving each companion the opportunity to move slightly. One of the other gnolls chooses not to move. Instead he lashes out at the unarmored guard, raking his claws across the man's chest with a satisfying ripping sound. The man grunts in pain as blood runs freely from the many wounds he's sustained.

    Taking advantage of the gnoll's attention being turned from him, the guard who did have time to don his armor skewers the gnoll expertly on his halberd. Using his foot to dislodge the lifeless body the man turns his attention to Quinn.

    Across the room the last remaining leather-clad guard starts sobbing as he sees himself starting to be surrounded by gnolls. Still he strikes out with his club, hitting the smaller gnoll squarely across the jaw. Still weeping uncontrollably the man shuffles over to try and put his back to the piles of supplies. It is obvious that his fear of Lareth's anger should he surrender outweighs his sense of self-preservation.

    Actions:
    Gnoll 2 -> Claw vs. Rabble 9 = 27 – Hit! – Rabble 9 dies -> Free Shift to L7

    Free Shifts:
    • Yargrosh – J3
    • Gnoll 3 – K3
    • Gnoll 1 – Shift 0 squares

    Gnoll 1 -> Claw vs. Guard 1 = 19 – Hit! -> Guard 1 takes 5 damage

    Guard 2 -> (Recharge)Powerful Strike = Success -> Halberd vs. Gnoll 1 = 26 – Hit! -> Gnoll 1 dies

    Rabble 8 -> Club vs. Gnoll 3 = 20 – Hit! -> Gnoll 3 takes 4 damage -> Shift to L3

    Encounter Map - Round 4
    moat33_rd4b.jpg


    Stats & Initiative
    (J3) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H2) Alfonse: HP 22/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (L5) Quinn: HP 19/33 | AC:20 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph
    (L7) Gnoll 2: HP 4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (L3) Rabble 8: HP 1+3/1 | AC:17 F :13 R :11 W :11 | AP: 0
    (I9) Flight: HP 23/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph
    (I8) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 6/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (K3) Gnoll 3: HP 19/33 | AC:19 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M6) Guard 1: HP 32/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Swarm of Locusts
    (G10) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (G5) Lareth: HP 142/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 1 | Ward of Vitality
    (H5) Faergus: HP 25/35 | AC:23 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 13 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Shift Up to 1 Square from Everyone; Flight, Summoned Giant Frog] [On Deck: Gnoll 3, Guard 1]

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Given cover by the gnoll's triumph over the guard, both Flight and ... Frog Flight? ... move closer to the cleric. The beetles making up the humanoid form vibrate against each other to create a spark, which leaps forward taking on life and the shape of a raptor. The hawk of flame screeches forward and slams into Lareth, burning him badly. It makes a quick turn in the room behind and comes for another pass, waiting for the right moment when its prey is focused elsewhere. Taking advantage of that distraction, Flight drops their pretense of humanity and returns to their original form.

    The beetles making up the frog lash out their 'tongue' and catch Lareth unaware, dragging him out of the doorway and into the melee proper.
    Free Shift: Both Flight and Frog shift one to the left, I8 and I7, respectively.
    Standard: Fire Hawk vs Reflex (Lareth): 1d20+8 28 15 + Crit: 1d6 1 = 16 damage
    Fire Hawk Attack vs Reflex (Lareth, if he provokes): 1d20+8 16 1d8+7 12 Will hit if he would provoke an OA within 10 of his original square.
    Minor: Swarm Form
    Frog: Frog vs Reflex (Lareth): 1d20+8 20 HIT 1d8+7 11, pull Lareth to H5
    * Lareth has taken 27 damage so far, will take another 12 if he provokes an OA from the Hawk.

    Up Next: Gnoll 3, Guard 1. On Deck: Valesti!

    Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 4

    Gnolls don't take too kindly to being beaten over the head with clubs, it seems. Unfortunately the poor, sobbing fool of a guard didn't think about that before assaulting one in just that manner. The thought did pop into his head for a brief moment, right before the claws of the gnoll slashed across his face and neck causing everything to go dark. The guard's body slumped to the floor slightly wiser for what it had been taught; if somewhat less animate.

    ---

    Another burst of song echoes through the chamber in response to the felled combatant, allowing the companions to work their way into more advantageous positioning throughout the battlefield. Yargrosh takes the opportunity to close with Lareth, a toothy grin starting to grow on his face. He starts to yip with excitement, forcing out a few words in his fervor.

    "New Pack is Strong! Much stronger then Old Master!

    Lareth eyes Yargrosh with an air of annoyance, dismissively rolling his eyes.

    "You presume much about the state of things, Yargrosh. You will see true power…momentarily."

    ---

    Halberd in hand the guard looks down at his flimsy pajamas, then up at the slavering gnoll and heavily armored Quinn. Lamenting once again his lack of foresight he resigns himself to make the best of a situation and focuses his attention and effort on splitting the gnoll in half. The halberd blade arcs in the air but the man's aim was too wide. The weapon slashes against the stone wall next to the humanoid harmlessly. The man then takes a cautious step forward, trying to push the line towards his Master.

    Actions:
    Gnoll 3 -> Claw vs. Rabble 8 = 19 – Hit! – Rabble 8 dies -> (Free) Shift to L4

    Free Shifts:
    • Yargrosh – I4
    • Gnoll 2 – K7

    Guard 1 -> (No Action) Gains 3 TPH from Lareth's Word of Vitality -> (Recharge)Powerful Strike = Success -> (Standard) Halberd vs. Gnoll 2 = 16 – Miss -> (Move) Shift to L6

    Encounter Map - Round 4
    moat33_rd4c.jpg


    Stats & Initiative

    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (I2) Alfonse: HP 22/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (L5) Quinn: HP 19/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph
    (K7) Gnoll 2: HP 4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (I8) Flight: HP 23/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph
    (I7) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 6/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (L4) Gnoll 3: HP 19+4/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (L6) Guard 1: HP 32+3/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (H10) Valesti: HP 31/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H5) Lareth: HP 115/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 1 | Ward of Vitality
    (H4) Faergus: HP 25/35 | AC:23 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 13 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Another free shift for the taking, Valesti] [On Deck: Lareth]

    Illianthar on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Valesti moved closer to the action, blocking the hallway along with Flight's main mass. Even though Lareth had seemed oblivious to her presence so far, somehow he managed to move just in time to dodge her lobbed axe. The Dwarf gritted her teeth, seeing a long slog ahead of them.

    Free Action : Shift to H9.
    Minor Action : Declare Lareth as Quarry.
    Standard Action : Nimble Strike vs Lareth, Shift to H8 before attack.
    1d20+9=11 MISS!
    Move/Minor Action : Draw hand axe.

    [Up Next : Lareth]

    Reynolds on
    OGueI9Q.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 4

    Lareth stands stoically against the onslaught, taking each attack with overwhelming superiority. To look at him you would get the impression that despite being slowly surrounded and beaten repeatedly with all manner of implements he is somehow in control of the situation.

    A wry smile breaks over his face as Valesti's axe sails wide.

    "Perfect! Thank you Mistress Dwarf, that is the perfect distance. I had wondered how to bring you closer to me, but you did so on your own, which is just splendid."

    Closing his eyes for a brief moment, Lareth begins to focus inward and a light purplish glow emanates from him. You watch in frustration as several of his wounds knit themselves closed, healed by evil magic. Letting out a contented sigh Lareth opens his eyes.

    "Now, about that power I was planning to show you, Yargrosh…"

    Lareth sidesteps Faergus to move more towards the center of the room, pulling a strip of black cloth from his belt as he does so. He rubs the cloth between his fingers and tendrils of darkness start to expand. They come out slowly at first, a few at a time, then start to speed up both in appearance and number. All at once the tendrils shoot out towards each of the companions and their gnoll allies. Each tendril splits in two and then absorbs itself into each eye of the person it was targeted at. The tendrils that shoots towards Flight and the Summoned Frog seem to slow for a second, as if they were deciding how best to locate the 'eyes' of the swarms. They quickly decide on a course of action, splitting into an infinite mass of tiny tendrils, each affecting an individual eye of an individual beetle.

    The entire room goes black. You can still hear the sounds of armor clanking and weapons striking eachother all around the room, but your sight has left you. As your other senses start to immediately adjust you hear Lareth start to laugh, sounding very much pleased with himself. When he next speaks his voice is a little higher pitched as he revels in what is seemingly a victory just waiting for the loose ends to be tied up.

    "You dare to invade and attack my minions, and for that your sight has been stricken from you. You will wander like confused mice for the remainder of your lives; though that will not be long it seems, starting with this overbearing paladin here."

    Faergus feels a rush of wind in front of his face. His years of military training have honed his senses considerably, so he knows a miserably failed attack when he hears it. It is obvious, even without sight, that Lareth swung at him with his scepter and missed by a wide margin.

    ---

    A familiar growl resonates from the room, denoting that Yargrosh is about to speak:

    "Ha ha ha! Your magical tricks are weak, Old Master! Yargrosh casts them off as easily as caving in the skull of a newborn child! Old Master is not nearly as strong as the New Masters, who destroyed your prized Brichlush in a shower of blood and ice! Now it is time for you to die!"

    Scoffing at the notion, Lareth responds:

    "Yargrosh, I really tire of your lack of vocabulary. 'Kill' this, 'Destroy' that…it does make it hard to engage in stimulating conversation. I think you are right that we should end our relationship today, though I fear that you may have mistaken what that outcome will be."

    A brief moment of silence fills the room before Lareth speaks again, his voice dripping with sarcasm and self-righteousness:

    "That means I'm going to kill you, in case the words were too hard for you."

    Actions:
    Lareth
    • Minor: The Spider's Kiss -> Lareth regains 25 hit points
    • Move: Shift to I5
    • Standard: Curse of Blindness (Burst 3)
    • Action Point: Standard Action: Scepter of Striking vs. Faergus (AC: 23) -> 1d20+11+2(CA) = 16 - Miss

    Encounter Map - Round 4
    moat33_rd4d.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (J2) Alfonse: HP 17/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (K6) Quinn: HP 14/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I7) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 1/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (L4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (L6) Guard 1: HP 32+3/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I5) Lareth: HP 140/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (H4) Faergus: HP 20/35 | AC:23 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 13 | AP: 1 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)


    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Faergus] [On Deck: Round 5, Yargrosh]


    OOC:
    1000th post...w00t!

    Illianthar on
  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As the inky black tendrils strike Faergus blind, he thinks that Old Wisdom is right once again. There's no satisfaction at the thought though. He can hear his comrades clattering around him, only Yargosh moving with surety.

    Faergus does not have the power of the senior paladins of his order, but his connection to Pelor is as strong as any. The diety's light beams out of the darkness towads Alfonse, already primed from the infusion earlier.

    That done, Faergus slices at at Lareth's voice, hoping to punish the blowhard for his arrogance.

    Minor Action: Divine Mettle on Alfonse
    Effect: Alfonse makes a saving throw with a +5 bonus.

    Move Action: Shift to H5

    Standard Action: Virtuous Strike vs. Lareth (AC 22; I5)
    Virtuous Strike vs Lareth (AC 22): 1d20+10+1-5 -> 14 MISS!

    Saving Throw vs. Blindness: 1d20 8

    The paladin's sword parts only air. With a grimace, Faergus brings it back to center, readying himself for the attack sure to follow; the quick shake to clear his eyes useless.

    [Up Next: Yargrosh] [On Deck: Alfonse, Quinn]

    3seed on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 5

    "I have New Masters now, human. I will enjoy ripping your heart from your chest and feasting on it!"

    Fully committed to the death of his previous employer, Yargrosh closes his eyes and savors the moment. Opening his eyes again his pupils are extremely dilated, and drool starts to drip from his jaws. He locks gazes with Lareth for a moment, then lets out another loud howl as he swings his club towards Lareth's face. The evil cleric shifts his weight slightly and shrugs his shoulder, causing the club to glance off his armor instead of crash into his skull.

    "You'll have to try much harder than that, cur."

    Actions:
    Yargrosh -> Club vs. Lareth (AC: 22) -> 20 - Miss

    Encounter Map - Round 5
    moat33_rd5a.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (J2) Alfonse: HP 17/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (K6) Quinn: HP 14/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I7) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 1/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (L4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (L6) Guard 1: HP 32+3/44 | AC:13 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I5) Lareth: HP 140/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (H5) Faergus: HP 20/35 | AC:23 F :14 R :15 W :17 | HS: 13 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: Guard 2]

    Illianthar on
  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    Positioning ever so carefully towards the other corner with the falling of each enemy, that is until Lareth side-steps Faergus and unleashed his spell. The tendrils hitting my eyes like daggers, and my vision almost all but disappearing, except for a small hint of light in the darkness. Only being able to see the tiny speck of light, I see it shimmer, and then the light bursts clearing the darkness.

    Peering around I see Lareth in front of Faergus, and Yargrosh just adjacent to Faergus. Faergus still slightly shifted off the mark of Lareth, i could see that he was still blind. Scanning the rest of the room, everyone else, less the enemies are still blind. Weighing the situation, Yargrosh who can see, is working on smiting his former master. Quinn and the other gnoll, still have the two guards on them, and they are still blind. Lightfooted as possible I move to the corner and try to hide myself amidst the supplies.
    Saving throw vs blindness -> 11

    Move: Fleeting Ghost [18]->K3>L3>M2

    Standard: Sly Flourish VS Guard 1[L6] ->14 HIT! Damage: 1d6+11->17 Sneak Attack: 2d8->14 Total:31

    Looking at the guard that is in front of Quinn, I remember. When the first part of combat started, this guard here gave me a nasty look. A sizable grin widens underneath my hood, toothpick fully erect, as my shuriken pierce, and mutilate the unarmored guard, leaving him near deaths door.

    Now, my only problem is hoping that the other guard hadn't noticed me.

    [Up Next: Quinn] [On Deck: Guard 2]

  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Quinn shook off the ill effects of Lareth's foul magic, and while still singing the song of the great knight, sung a verse of the knight's faith in the gods of justice and purity. The note Quinn sang rang sharply as he got past the guard's defenses and knocked him to the ground. Quinn's iron holy symbol briefly glowed with a pure, white light, and Faergus felt inspired. Quinn quickly slid next to the remaining guard, and motioned for his gnollish compatriot to flank the foe. He paused his song to call out, "Packmate, let us finish this fight against this vile foe. He won't be able to withstand our combined might, or the will of St. Cuthbert!" With the invocation of his god's name, Quinn's eyes briefly glow with the same light emitting from his symbol before fading to a smoldering glow, and Quinn's wounds seemed to knit together from nothing. The guard was marked by Quinn and would face the wrath of the gods should he transgress.
    Standard Action: Smiting Symbol on Guard 1
    Attack Roll: 1d20+11 = 29, super hit! 11 damage and guard 1 should be dropped.
    Effect: Faergus gets 4 temp HP and +2 to all defenses until the end of Quinn's next turn.
    Quinn'll take his free shift to L6
    Minor Action: Divine Challenge Guard 2
    Minor Action: Inspiring Word on Quinn, healing him for surge +5 and sliding him to M6.
    Quinn heals from 14 to 27 and is no longer bloodied.

    [Up Next: Guard 2] [On Deck: Flight]

    Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 5

    The lone remaining guard seems bolstered by his Master's actions, even as enemies close around him. He grins maniacally and his eyes seem to portray the slightest hint of insanity as he stands his ground, swinging his halberd around to try and take out the half-elf's legs. The attempt proves too zealous as the blade ricochets off of the wall a few feet from Quinn's head. The breeze from the passing blade does feel refreshing, however.

    The man doesn't seem fazed, however, and starts to giggle slightly as he eyes Quinn for the next attack. It seems clear that reasoning with the man would prove fruitless in his current state.

    Actions:
    Virtue of Valor: Alfonse gains 4 Temporary Hit Points for Bloodying Guard 1

    Guard 2 (No Action) Gain 3 TPH -> Powerful Strike vs. Quinn (AC: 18) -> 12 - Miss

    Encounter Map - Round 5
    moat33_rd5b.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M2) Alfonse: HP 17+4/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M6) Quinn: HP 27/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 9 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25+3/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Divine Challenge (Quinn)
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I7) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 1/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (L4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I5) Lareth: HP 140/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (H5) Faergus: HP 20+4/35 | AC:25 F :16 R :17 W :19 | HS: 13 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Flight, Summoned Frog] [On Deck: Gnoll 3, Guard 1]

    Illianthar on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    Hundreds of tiny eyes blind, the swarm puts more energy into the existant fire hawk, hoping it can once more find its prey. Meanwhile, the beetles making up the frog lash out as best they can.

    Though the attacks go wide, the curse's energies are expended from the effort of blinding so many things at once.
    Standard: Fire Hawk vs Reflex: 1d20+8-5 11 MISS
    Summon: Frog vs Reflex (Lareth): 1d20+8-5 7 MISS
    Saving Throw vs. Blind (Flight, Frog): 2#1d20 20 13 - Both saved! Way to use a 20 there, Flight.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 5

    The last of the smaller gnolls barks and yips, furiously wiping at his eyes to remove the blindness that has afflicted him. Hearing Quinn's words the gnoll turns his head slightly, unable to understand the Common speech. He does understand, however, the tactical advantage presented to him. Sliding his way down behind the guard he lashes out with his claws but draws nothing but air for his trouble. Growling in anger he shakes his head; finally overcoming the magical blindness.

    Actions:
    Gnoll 3 (No Action) (Move) Shift to M4 -> (Standard) Claw vs. Guard 2 (AC: 21) -> 12 - Miss

    Save vs. Blind = 15 - Success

    Encounter Map - Round 5
    moat33_rd5c.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M2) Alfonse: HP 17+4/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph (M6) Quinn: HP 27/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 9 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25+3/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Divine Challenge (Quinn)
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 10 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends) (I7) Summoned Giant Frog: HP 1/16 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 0 | AP: 0 | Bloodied!, | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (M4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)
    (I5) Lareth: HP 140/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (H5) Faergus: HP 20+4/35 | AC:25 F :16 R :17 W :19 | HS: 13 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Valesti] [On Deck: Lareth ]

  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Valesti was taken aback by the strange attack. "Foul magic! Bah!" She stumbled, leaning against the wall for support. She threw her axe toward Lareth's irritatingly confident voice, not expecting to hit. She just wanted to keep him at a safe distance. Thankfully her weapon didn't hit anyone else, flying uselessly through the air and curving right back. By the time it returned, her vision was already clearing, shaking her head and blinking away the last of the darkness as she successfully caught the weapon.

    Standard Action : Basic Ranged Attack vs Lareth
    1d20+4=14 MISS!

    Save vs Blindness : 1d20+1=13 SUCCESS!

    [Up Next: Lareth ]

    Reynolds on
    OGueI9Q.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 5

    Still looking confident as ever, Lareth lets out a tiny scoff as Faergus moves his way carefully into a flanking position. Still chuckling slightly to himself the heavily armored cleric moves his way around the paladin and, choosing to reject openly the divine sanction of the Pelorian, brings his scepter crashing down onto the summoned toad's skull (or at least the group of beetles which comprise it), shattering many of them in a shower of tiny metal legs and antennae even as holy light flashes in retribution from Faergus.

    The light burns into Lareth's skin and he grunts slightly but refuses to show that he is in any pain. Spinning around he continues his swing, aiming directly for the bridge of the blinded Dragonborn's nose but missing with the attack by a wide margin. Once again Faergus feels the cool breeze of his opponent's failure.

    Actions:
    Lareth: (Move) Shift to H6 -> (Standard) Scepter of Striking vs. Summoned Frog (AC: 16) -> 21 - Hit! -> 13 damage (Frog is dead, Flight loses a Healing Surge)

    Divine Sanction -> Lareth takes 8 radiant damage

    (Free Action[Trigger: An enemy is reduced to 0 hit points]) Scepter of Striking vs. Faergus (AC: 25) -> 12 - Miss

    Encounter Map - Round 5
    moat33_rd5d.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (I4) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M2) Alfonse: HP 17+4/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M6) Quinn: HP 27/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 9 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25+3/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Divine Challenge (Quinn)
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 9 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph
    (M4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H6) Lareth: HP 132/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (I6) Faergus: HP 20+4/35 | AC:25 F :16 R :17 W :19 | HS: 13 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph, | Blinded (save ends)

    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Faergus] [On Deck: Round 6, Yargrosh]

    Illianthar on
  • 3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Straining his hearing, relying on the battle intuition beat into him by the armsmaster Old Wisdon, Faergus tracks his opponent's motion, moving into position so that his allies can pin Lareth between them. His sword hangs still, ready to leap forward at the slighest hint of an opening.

    A shift in the air, a sigh from the dark cleric, the creak of armor, and the paladin's sword strikes out.

    Move Action: Shift to H7
    Minor Action: None
    Standard Action: Virtuous Strike vs. Lareth (AC 22)
    Virtuous Strike vs AC: 1d20+10+1-5 -> 22 Damage 1d8+6 -> 12

    Saving Throw vs. Blindness: 1d20+2 -> 14

    Bless that old soldier, Old Wisdom's training was true and Faergus an apt student. The paladin's sword struck true and found a gap in Lareth's armor, suprising a gasp from the villain. "No matter how dark the day, Pelor's light will find the way." And so saying, Faergus welcomed the return of his sight.

    [Up Next: Yargrosh] [On Deck: Alfonse, Quinn]

    3seed on
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! - Round 6

    Bolstered by Faergus's attack, Yargrosh leaps behind Lareth and smashes his club down into the black shoulder-guard of the cleric. The force of the blow staggers Lareth momentarily and a glimmer of worry flickers in his eyes, almost immediately replaced by the familiar haughtiness; rolling his head around and shaking his shoulder to work out the kinks.

    Actions:
    Yargrosh: (Move) Shift to H5 -> (Standard) Club vs. Lareth (AC: 22) -> 27 - Hit! -> 15 damage

    Encounter Map - Round 6
    moat33_rd6a.jpg

    Stats & Initiative
    (H5) Yargrosh: HP 85/150 | AC:17 F :16 R :16 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M2) Alfonse: HP 17/27 | AC:21 F :12 R :20 W :14 | HS: 6 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M6) Quinn: HP 27/33 | AC:18 F :14 R :14 W :17 | HS: 9 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (M5) Guard 2: HP 25/44 | AC:21 F :16 R :15 W :14 | AP: 0 | Reach 2, | Divine Challenge (Quinn)
    (I8) Flight: HP 18/33 | AC:16 F :14 R :12 W :18 | HS: 9 | AP: 1 | Swarm Form, | Verse of Triumph
    (M4) Gnoll 3: HP 18/33 | AC:17 F :15 R :17 W :10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H8) Valesti: HP 26/31 | AC:18 F :14 R :16 W :14 | HS: 10 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    (H6) Lareth: HP 105/184 | AC:22 F :19 R :16 W :20 | AP: 0 | Ward of Vitality
    (H7) Faergus: HP 20/35 | AC:25 F :16 R :17 W :19 | HS: 13 | AP: 0 | Verse of Triumph
    Effects
    • Three Talon Defense (Yargrosh) - Any ally within 2 squares of Yargrosh gains a +2 bonus to AC

    [Up Next: Alfonse, Quinn] [On Deck: Guard 2]

  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    edited May 2012
    The main battle rages on, attacks being traded between challengers. Watching the battle ensue, most of the party regains their sight. The remaining guard loses his sanity. With a crazed look in his eye, it looks like he would love to do terrible things to Quinn, but Quinn is a just step ahead of the guards attack. The gnoll behind the guard flanking the foe tries to rake the guard.

    Moving around the supplies carefully, I find another position that holds firm, and still keeps me concealed. Watching the guard practically froth at the mouth like a rabid dog, I decide to dispatch him like so.
    Move: Fleeting Ghost to L2 1d20+12 ->20
    Standard: Sly Flourish Vs Guard2 (AC:21) ->24 HIT! Damage: 1d6+11->17 SA Damage: 2d8->14 Total Damage: 31!

    I throw my shuriken just off to the left of the guard, so that I do not hit the gnoll. The magical properties of the throwing star home in on its target and curves back in to bite squarely, firmly, and fatally. Just like any rabid dog, it had to be put down.

    Thinking to myself, "Why had Lareth referred to The Old One as [The Weaver of Chaos]. I just cant quite pin down what is going on here, Iuz, Yeenoghu. The owlbears, and the gnolls, hired muscle for Lareth? What is he planning?"

    [Up Next: Quinn] [On Deck: Guard2]

    Alfonse_Palanso on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    As the guard fell before Quinn, he quickly turned towards Lareth and sang the refrain of his song, a familiar clear, pure refrain of sound focused to a point towards the cleric.
    Standard Action: Staggering Note on Lareth
    Attack Roll: 1d20+ 8 = 18, Miss

    The note did not appear to phase Lareth, and Quinn held his shield ready for further assaults.

    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    The swarm, still reeling from the sudden dispersal of the Frog, tries to blast off another sentient spark at Lareth, but the bird flies wide. It comes back for another strike, waiting for an opening.
    Fire Hawk vs Reflex: 1d20+8 22 1d8+7 12
    If Lareth does anything within 10 squares of Flight that would provoke an attack, the bird comes in for another strike:
    Fire Hawk Attack vs Reflex: 1d20+8 23 1d8+7 13

    Up Next: Gnoll 3, Valesti. On Deck: Lareth

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Have Fun Storming The Castle! – Encounter Complete

    The remaining gnoll bounds across the room, saliva dripping from its fangs. Gaining speed, he slashes his claws out, aiming directly for the evil cleric's throat. Lareth stands perfectly still during the charge attack, then shifts his weight slightly and allows the claws to swipe harmlessly in front of him.

    Surrounded on nearly every side Lareth surveys the situation on the battlefield. He reaches up with his left hand and rubs at his chin thoughtfully, considering each of the attackers with a calm, even look. He spares a glance at the carnage that is the rest of the room; bodies littering the floor and blood soaking the stone. His face shows no emotion, only the calculating look of a general who is merely assessing the odds of victory for his campaign.

    Reaching a decision he shrugs his shoulders and tosses the scepter to the ground nonchalantly. The weapon clatters against the floor, the sound echoing off the walls of a room that has now grown as silent as a grave. The scepter itself starts to writhe slightly, shrinking down until it is nothing more than a small metal rod. Lareth then holds his hands out in front of him with his mailed palms pointed upwards in a sign of resignation.

    "Well, it would seem that the better side has won. No need for any more pointless bloodshed. Instead, we should move on to the negotiation phase. There's information that you want, that much is readily apparent."

    Lareth shifts his weight, leaning back against the wall with an air of pompousness. He points towards the stack of crates first, "The rogue amongst you wishes to know the location of the elven politician…"

    He then points towards the mass of beetles undulating nearby, "…and these ones wish to find others like themselves. And I'm sure the rest of you have questions also that you'd like answered."

    Shrugging his shoulders again, he pulls a small cloth out of his belt and begins to wipe some of the blood and muck off of his armor as he talks. "I, of course, want my freedom, and there begins the negotiation. I'll provide you with the answers you seek, and perhaps a few nuggest of information you might find interesting...if I'm allowed to walk free. Information for Exonor'ation. What do you say?"

    Illianthar on
  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    I was stealthy enough to be hidden from the last remaining guard, but not enough to not be spotted by Lareth. Out from the supplies I walk towards the rest of the party.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    "We can find the others of ourselves. You are useful, but not required."

    The collective thinks a moment, "We cannot be so selfish to let you kill others for merely the information that you possess."

    They turn to the rest of the group for consensus.

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    Lareth was grating on her nerves. She kept her weapons free as she joined the others. After all of this, she'd almost forgotten about the job that had originally brought them here. Locating that elf was still their highest priority. Although...

    "Mmm, we did promise to let Yargrosh have his way with him, though..." She looked between Lareth and the remaining gnolls.

    OGueI9Q.gif
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    Quinn watched as Lareth attempted to talk his way out of another problem. Quinn was sure that Lareth would give up information, all evil was cowardly, but whatever price they were to pay now was too high. Quinn drew some rope from his satchel, quickly approached Lareth, and slugged him in the face with his mailed fist. As Lareth reeled from the assault, Quinn kneed him in the stomach, and Lareth doubled over. Quinn grabbed his arms and wrapped the rope around his wrists, tying them together in a tight knot. "Your lies will get you nowhere, Lareth. We will get the answers we seek without having to make a bargain with the likes of you." he said, smirking at Lareth's nose. "I told you I'd wipe the pretty smile off of your face."

    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    The force of Quinn's blow drives Lareth back against the stone wall. Blood begins to flow freely from his nose, and he instinctively brings his hands to his face giving Quinn an open shot at his midsection. The second blow collapses the cleric to the ground face first, coughing and sputtering as a small pool of blood begins to form under his face.

    And so the mighty New Master is vanquished. Betrayed by his followers; abandoned by the God he so faithfully followed; reduced to nothing more than a lowly prisoner at the mercy of his captors. The weight of his failure seems to hit Lareth with more force than the half-elf could ever muster. Ostensibly shamed, the man begins to sob and snivel.

    "I was supposed to be more than this…how could this be happening to me…why has she forsaken me…"

    Unmoved by Lareth's pitiful display Quinn moves in and begins to secure the prisoner. As the knot of Quinn's rope begins to close around his wrists Lareth goes silent and takes a deep breath. Then, without warning, the fallen cleric pushes himself up off the ground with his legs driving Quinn into the wall with all the force he can muster in his frame. The half-elf feels the wind knocked from his lungs and struggles to catch his breath. Before anyone else can react Lareth sprints towards the exit, shouldering past Valesti as he does.

    A loud growl sounds from Yargrosh's throat as Lareth attempts to escape. He closes the distance between himself and the slower moving human in two rage-filled bounding steps then leaps onto Lareth's back, driving him towards the ground. The room rings with the sound of plate mail striking stone and then skidding to a stop. In a fit of rage the large gnoll then begins to claw and thrash at the back of Lareth's neck and head. You all watch on in horror as bits of flesh and blood erupt from Lareth's now inert form and the cleric begins screaming in pain and terror. It is quite evident that without intervention Yargrosh will rip Lareth apart in a matter of seconds.

  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    "Yargrosh!"

    I sprint as fast as I can to get to Yargrosh, before he totally renders Lareth into a messy pile of goo and metal.

    "We still have much need for that wretch! We need him alive for a bit longer. We need him to talk. There are many questions that he still needs to answer, or... many ways for you to coax them out of him, but we need him alive to do so."

    Pulling out my coiled rope from my back-pack, I noticed that this was the same rope that held captive the man, that had given us Lareth. Bralacks blood still remained stained on parts of the rope. Now, Lareth being bound, will he possibly give us a name to help us on our search to find the countess?

  • IlliantharIllianthar Registered User regular
    Yargrosh freezes at the sound of Alfonse's voice, stiffening and remaining completely motionless for several seconds. Then, slowly, he pulls his clawed hands back away from Lareth's throat. Blood drips from his nails and you can see bits of flesh and hair stuck to them. Keeping his head low the large gnoll slinks away from his Master into the corner, being careful not to make eye contact with anyone on the way. His voice cracks slightly as he restrains his rage, trying to apologize through clenched teeth; "I'm sorry Master...he attacked one of the pack and..." He shrugs his shoulders slightly as if that was justification enough, then recedes to the back of the group.

    As the gnoll fades to the background the attention again focuses on Lareth. The man has been savagely beaten. His neck and shoulders have deep gashes from which blood flows freely. His face bears several cuts, one of which has ripped his left eye from its socket. The detached organ lies in a puddle of blood and flesh on the stone floor near the fallen cleric. As you move closer, you can see small ashen grey streaks around and amidst the cuts on his face which could be bruising from the thrashing that he just took at the hands of the gnoll. His right eye is undamaged and it appears that he has fallen unconscious. Blood drips out of his mouth and he coughs unconsciously to clear some of it from his throat. His breath rattles and wheezes, but he's alive.

    Though very much unconscious he turns his head slightly and moans, then utters a few words faintly that you have trouble making out.

    OOC
    Quinn (@Litejedi), can I get an active Perception check, please, since you are the only one that has the language to understand what he said?

    Everyone else, combat is over and the floor is yours to do what you need to do. Consider this a short rest if surges are needed or you need to recharge skills.

  • Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User
    I examine the ashen grey streaks for a little bit, while I tie up Lareth. Finishing binding up the rope onto Lareth, I look to Faergus, and Quinn for medical help for Lareth. "Shall we take him to the table and lay him on that?" I move over to the puddle of blood with Lareths dismembered eye. Carefully I pick it up, and start to look for some sort of container to place it in.

    Being closest to Lareths quarters, I decide to go in there to look for some sort of container to place the eye in.

  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington Registered User regular
    The swarm gathers above the fallen. "He believed himself more important that those. He claimed to serve another, and he enslaved others. He is the worst of an individual, and he can only be saved if he is taught to be an us, not an ... I."

    The eyes all stare down at Lareth. "We wonder."

    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Quinn coughed briefly before returning Lareth to finish the binding. He was taken aback by the ferocity of the attack on Lareth and though he thought that only force would cow the cleric, but never intended for Yargrosh to be so brutal. He moved quickly towards Lareth after Yargrosh stepped away, and attempted to draw upon some healing magicks to stabilize the man as he finished the binding. As he stepped towards the body, he may have heard Lareth speak some words in a language other than common.
    Reactive Perception Check: 1d20+3 = 14

    Lareth's ruined face would no longer serve the front for his lies, and reflected the cruelty and brutality of his soul. He was still in a great deal of pain, so Quinn attempted some healing powers after binding the man.
    If he can! I don't know how much time has passed and if Quinn can use Majestic Word yet.

    With a gentle voice, he called to Yargrosh. "Thank you friend, for defending me. He is a dangerous foe and should not have escaped. You've done us and the world a great service, Lareth is an incalculably dangerous foe, something we forgot. But your old master has lost much of his power today, and it is in part because of you and your gnoll friends." Quinn coughed up some blood, that was spit onto a large flagstone and smiled weakly at Yargrosh. "You have more honor than most humans, and certainly more than this one..." he motioned towards the prone form. "Part of having honor is to know restraint. Though it may be difficult, justice must be tempered with mercy."
    Words of friendship diplomacy on Yargrosh, trying to make him feel better about himself and show him that there can be forgiveness and mercy towards those who are fallen.
    Diplomacy = 1d20+18 = 33 hooray for being a bard and getting to ridiculous DCs at level 2

    Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • ReynoldsReynolds Raving Rabbit Registered User regular
    Valesti grunted, shocked as Lareth barely managed to squirm past her. She raised her axes to throw, but Yargrosh bounded into action faster than she could react. She winced as he attacked...then couldn't help but laugh, although she sounded more shocked than truly amused. "See? I tried to warn him about the gnoll." Now it was safe to put her weapons away, as Lareth was clearly no longer a threat. The Dwarf let the Paladins tend to the wounded man, following Alfonse into Lareth's quarters. "I think this place is in need of a good searching. Careful, though. I'd rather not run into any more foul magics left behind for just such an occasion."

    OGueI9Q.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.