As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E D&D] (IC) Temple of Elemental Evil {Ruins of the Moathouse}

1101112131416»

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Alfonse and Valesti move into Lareth's quarters, leaving the rest of the group in the main chamber. Drips of blood upon the stone accompany the rogue as he gingerly carries Lareth's eye in one hand.

The chamber is lavishly furnished, with thick rugs, wall hangings, and multiple couches with soft cushions. Wines, liquors, and dishes of sweetmeats abound. A brazier continually burns, warming the place and sending a fragrant incense into the air. Silver serving pieces and goblets and an alabaster box filled with expensive looking lotions and oils are in plain sight. The entire room reeks of opulence and excess; and also of a great amount of gold having been spent to procure the items within.

There are also several other items of interest:

Along one of the walls is a set of bookcases upon which rest a series of tomes. A quick perusal shows that each tome is labeled with a month and year and they are arranged in chronological order dating back for more than three years.

In the corner of the room furthest from the doorway stands a large wooden chest, banded with iron. A heavy lock secures the chest closed.

In the other corner along the far wall is a heavy oak desk, situated so that it faces the door. Behind the desk is a large plush chair made of a deep purple velvet fabric. The desk has two cabinets both of which are closed and locked. An open inkpot sits on the table with a quill resting against it. Also on the desk is another tome, this one labeled "579CY - Reaping". The book is closed, and several papers appear to have been hastily stuffed inside, roughly in the middle of the book.

Quinn's ears prick up when he hears some mumbled words of Elven escape Lareth's lips, though he's not able to make out what the man said apart from a single word which sounded decided un-Elven, "zuggtmoy".

Yargrosh looks up sheepishly as Quinn speaks, seeming to take solace in his words. His back straightens and his expression returns to the normal toothy grin. Upon the mention of restraint the large gnoll's brow furrows slightly and he looks both confused and thoughtful at the same time.

"Restraint…" He scratches at his jaw as he struggles internally with the concept, looking back and forth between the prone, semi-mutilated Lareth and Quinn. "…seems foreign…You have great wisdom, Master, and you've given Yargrosh much to think about." Moving over near the prisoner Yargrosh squats down on his haunches then looks at Quinn directly. "I will watch him. I will show...restraint…"

Leaning in closer the half-elf places a hand upon Lareth's disfigured face and infuses him with positive energy. Immediately several of the wounds on Lareth's face and neck begin to close, though it's obvious that the man will be horrifically scarred from the experience.

As Quinn's hands move across Lareth's face he notices that there appears to be a kind of pinkish-tan powder, akin to makeup, covering the entirety of Lareth's exposed skin. Rubbing at it slightly causes it to smudge and come off, exposing more ashen grey skin beneath. Likewise it appears that there is some substance coating Lareth's raven-black hair which, when removed, reveals that the man's hair is stark white. Lastly Quinn notices that Lareth's ears have some odd scarring across the top of them, almost as if they had been cut and formed to have a more rounded look.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User regular
    After scanning the room, I pick up one of the goblets. Filling the goblet with water from my canteen, I drop the eye in and set the goblet down on the desk. Sitting in the plush chair I scan the desk. Spying keyholes everywhere, the keys could still be on Lareth, or perhaps somewhere in the room. The tomes on the other hand are a bit more intriguing, could they be ledgers as to where the prisoners or coming from or going? I open the tome on the desk to the loose pages in the middle.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Valesti frowned at all the lavish furnishings and books. "...maybe he wrote down where he hid the elf? Or kept track of his orders? What's the most recent one?" She didn't seem too interested in finding out herself...this seemed like something Alfonse would be more comfortable with.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    The others seemed to be taking care of Lareth for the moment. At least he would not die yet.

The others... their others. Flight dropped the humanoid facade and searched for any trail of the spider-like others.
    Perception: 1d20+11 29

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Looking up from the open book, "Yes, perhaps there is some sort of record or something." Looking back at the alabaster box and nodding in the direction, "There's some fancy things in there that might interest you." With a smile, I go back to seeing what the crumpled paper was jammed in the middle of the book.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Alfonse examines the various papers that were stuffed within the ledger. Each appears to be a communication written to Lareth. The first reads:

To the Master of the Moathouse,
    I hope this letter from your most humble servant finds you well, Master. Things have been quite uneventful here in this sleepy town, and there is not much to report this week. I have been keeping abreast of any newcomers to the Inn at your request. There are three newcomers. The first is nothing more than a bumbling wizard and would be of no use to one as mighty as yourself. The other two, Kobort and Turuko, seem competent warriors…and also potentially sympathetic to our cause. I will try to establish more contact with them and provide more information in my next communication.

The town remains painfully ignorant of the great plans of Iuz that will soon consume them, nor do they suspect the spies which live in their midst. Even that pompous druid hasn't discovered us. I will remain vigilant and report again in a fortnight, or sooner if anything interesting develops.

The letter is signed only with a drawing of a dagger and is dated the 7th of Reaping, 579CY. The second letter is not dated, and is far different in content and tone:

Lareth,
    Incompetent Fool! The paltry number of slaves you provided in your last shipment is embarrassing. I should come down there to that wretched mudhole you call a base of operations and personally detach that face you love so much from your head! It is a testament to the power and mercy of Iuz himself that I am detained by other matters and cannot spare the time to crush you like the worm that you are! But be warned. Fail me twice and no amount of grace from any God of Oerth will save you from my wrath.

Provide the slaves that we need to excavate the ruins. I don't care where they come from, or who you have to kill to get them. Just get them. Now.

H

Turning his attention to the ledger itself Alfonse quickly sees that it appears to be a catalogue of slaves that have passed through the moathouse. Each page is lined with entries that include several columns with the headings: Date Captured, Name, Race, Approximate Age, General Vitality, Date Shipped and Destination. The Destination column appears to only contain multi-colored symbols while the other columns are written out in the Common script.

Scanning quickly through the last two weeks three entries stand out to the rogue:
    1st – Tillahi Linestra of Celene – Elven – 200 – Excellent – 3rd – diamond.gif

1st – Juffer Linestra of Celene – Elven – 150 – Injured – 3rd – diamond.gif

10th – Kat Palanso – Human – 28 – Good – 13th – triangle.gif

Flight
    The mass of mechanical beetles scour the room for any sign of the strange spider-like creatures they had seen before, but find no trace of them.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Realizing what I have in my hands, I hand the two documents to Valesti. "Show these to the guys, hopefully before Lareth wakes up, so we can have a little game plan on questioning him. Closing the ledger, I look at her and say, "We have our evidence that Tillahi was here, along with Juffer, as well as my sister..." Looking around at the chest and other lockable things, "The ledger shows where they sent them, but the destination is referred to as a symbol, perhaps if I can find a legend of the symbols." I open the ledger back up, and look in the front, and back covers. Scratching my head, I look at any of the drawers on the desk that aren't locked, and look back to the bookcase with the other ledgers. I get out of the chair and go to the bookcase and grab the first ledger, and look from front to back for any sort of legend. I then head back to the desk to start to rifle through the drawers.

• Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    Quinn turned away from Lareth and watched as his compatriots looked for clues. He felt extremely weary, and took a moment after the battle to rest against a wall. Watching the cleric's form warily, he closed his eyes and muttered a brief prayer to St. Cuthbert.

3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    Valesti takes the documents she'd handed, frowning for a moment. "...sister?" She just nodded at that, leaving the room to rejoin the others. She passed the letters to Quinn. "Here, elf. Our little thief is busy rifling through Lareth's things. Our target was definitely here, but she's been moved...he's trying to figure out where right now. Just in case our newest prisoner isn't very talkative when he wakes up."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Alfonse's perusal of the other ledger finds scores upon scores of other names, and a few symbols that he did not see in the current ledger:
    • A white circle
    • A blue square
    • A golden eye wreathed in flame

Nowhere does he find a legend which defines what those symbols reference.

After several minutes have passed you hear a low growl from Yargrosh. Turning your attention to the prisoner you see that he is starting to stir. He attempts to reach his hands to his face, but they are still tied firmly behind his back. He lets out a pained moan, his injuries still obviously causing him distress, and slowly opens his one remaining eye, looking balefully in the direction of Quinn and Valesti.

• Options
    Not feeling satisfied in finding the ledger, I look to the locked chest and two cabinets. I take my lock picks out of my back pack. I look over the chest first, making sure there's no traps.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    The collective returns to a more human like appearance when they fail to turn up any sign of the spiders. Flight sits across from the prisoner. "You told us that you knew where the others like us were, and some even appeared. Maybe you lied. Maybe the others were an illusion. We would like the truth."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    "Were I in your situation, I would avoid moving around much. There is only so much that healing magick can do, Lareth."

Quinn rested against a nearby wall and watched the exchange between the beetles and the cleric intently.

lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The lock turns over quickly as Alfonse applies his skill with lockpicks to it. Inside the rogue finds several bolts of extremely fine silk. Beneath that he comes across a small black box resting atop a suit of hide armor. The box holds four slightly-glowing vials.

The cabinets likewise prove to require little effort from the rogue. One contains a set of two platinum goblets. The other has a medium-sized bag which contains a large amount of gold coins.

Loot:

350 gold pieces

Potion of Cure Light Wounds (x4):
    Level 1
    20gp each

Utility Power (Healing) Consumable (Minor Action)

Effect: You drink the potion. If you have a healing surge, you must spend one. Instead of the hit points you would normally regain, you regain 1d8 + 1 hit points. If you are bloodied and don’t have any healing surges, you still regain the hit points. If neither of these things is true, there is no effect.

Predator's Hide Armor +1
    Level 3
    680gp

Armor: Hide
    Enhancement Bonus: +1 AC
    Property
    When you hit a target you have designated with your Hunter’s Quarry class feature, you gain a +1 bonus to all defenses against attacks by the designated quarry until the end of your next turn

Lareth rotates his head so that he can see Flight through his one remaining eye. You can see his face straining as he fails to mask the intense pain that he still feels. A look of rage replaces the pain as he raises himself up slightly and screams at the collective, every few words punctuated by a painful cough.

"YOU THINK I GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU WANT, YOU COLLECTION OF METAL PESTS! LOOK AT ME! MY EYE HAS BEEN RIPPED OUT. MY FACE HAS BEEN DESTROYED. I AM RUINED! WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I'LL JUST SPIT OUT EVERY SECRET YOU MIGHT 'WANT' TO KNOW?"

The tirade clearly takes quite a toll on Lareth as he collapses back to the ground, his breath ragged.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    They take a moment to consider this. "That is a weakness of the individual. One eye is of little consequence to us. We will not threaten you with more harm, but we see no reason to aid you if you do not aid us."

The constructs glance around at their companions, then back at the ruined man. "All of us."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Looking over the spoils, I take some of the silk, to wrap around the platinum goblets and place them in my back-pack along with the bag of gold. Tucking the armor under an arm and holding the goblet with Lareth's eye in the one hand and the box of cure potions in the other, I am about to walk out of the room, when I hear the commotion outside, and just as fast as I heard it, it was gone. Walking through the door, and see that Lareth had moved. Walking towards the group, I hand off the hide armor to Valesti. "I think this might work for you." Then walking towards Quinn, I hand him the box. "Healing potions, should we need it, or someone else." Looking at Lareth with his heavy breathing, and still not sure if he's fully conscious. "Who and where is H, Lareth?". Kneeling down by Lareth, "We know you have displeased him, and have carried out part of his punishment to you." "Should he find that you have lost everything, what would he do now?". "I don't think he'd have much reason to keep you around, if you know what I mean, which I'm sure you yourself are aware of." "Now, shall we get some answers and try to patch you up some more, or should we let you live as you are now, and be know as 'Lareth the Horrid'." Holding the goblet with his eye in it, "It's up to you, even the One you once called powers from has left you, and She has left you into our hands now.", looking down into the goblet I watch the detached eye bob in the water.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Valesti grunted as she took the pile of armor. "Eh?" She gave Alfonse an odd look, before examining what she'd been handed. It seemed similar enough to what she was already wearing, but was obviously higher quality. The Dwarf's current armor had plenty of dings and gouges after all this action...even if the patterning on this set the thief had 'recovered' wasn't quite her style, it would probably be more efficient to switch instead of waiting for repairs once they returned to town. She'd have to change, once they had the opportunity to safely rest.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The disfigured man's face initially distorts in rage at the barrage of questions and thinly veiled threats. He opens his mouth to scream out a response but then closes it before saying anything. He takes a few deep breaths and closes his eye, visibly calming himself. After a few moments of awkward silence he opens his eye and carefully looks over the group. Finally coming to a conclusion he speaks; his voice collected and even.

"So we're back to where we started. A Parlay of sorts, correct? I know things...things that you wish to know. I'm not willing to freely part with that information, so let's discuss the terms under which we'll operate."

A small, twisted smile comes over his face as he continues.

"Now I think it's obvious that your Dragonborn friend is not really a fan of discussion, but I think the rest of you have cooler heads. I am more than willing to give you information, if I'm compensated in return. Threatening my life doesn't really hold any meaning anymore, and it doesn't sound as if you're willing to let me go. Perhaps we can come to another compromise?

He thinks momentarily then looks to resign himself before continuing.

"I will surrender myself to you and follow you back to wherever you wish, to be turned over to local authorities and await a just and legal trial. I will also impart to you what I can to aid you in my quest. In return I ask that you inform these officials of my willingness to cooperate and that be weighed accordingly. If that offer does not satisfy you then I would be very interested to hear your rebuttal.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Realizing how collective he has become, I frown. I forgot that even though Lareth was the enemy, he was also a being. A person with wounds that needed true medical attention, and that, in his own statement to take him back to town, where he can be properly treated. I'd have to admit it seemed a little too good to be true that he would willingly be taken in, although I know he's probably been marked now. Being in protective would be the best bet for him, or if he's going to be sneaky about it, have someone come and bail him out. Either way, we should be able to get our information from him.

"Now, that's something we can help you with, and with pleasure. In surrendering to us, we shall give you protection, until we reach the authorities, upon which we will then release you into their custody."

Looking to the rest of the party, "Does this sound reasonable?"

Walking up to Yargrosh and placing my hand on his shoulder. "The offer still stands, of you and your pack being free from Lareths command. You have fought hard, gained friendship, and some restraint. A pack leader to the fullest. You can leave and go back home, or stay with us if you prefer."

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    The many eyes do not move. "This sounds reasonable."

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone else?

• Options
    "I agree with those terms as well."

lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options