As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[4E D&D] (IC) Temple of Elemental Evil {Ruins of the Moathouse}

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Catching the silver in one hand while passing the mug to the eladrin in the other, Ostler scratches his chin in thought at the newcomer's question.

"Well, Hommlet is a pretty low-key place, honestly. Most people are just passing through on their way somewhere else. There's not much else between here and Verbobonc, so they stop here for a nice meal and a warm bed. Adventurous types like yourself sometimes head off to sight-see at the ruins of the old Temple, and the town of Nulb…but I wouldn't suggest that. People say the places are still festering with evil, and the Gnarley Woods themselves are often home to bandits and other things." He shakes his head slightly as he speaks, as if to dissuade you from even attempting it.

Switching gears, his face breaks into a smile again, "So, are you just passing through, or are you staying in town for awhile? I have several rooms available, and I can guarantee you that the beds are much softer than any you've slept in at the Inns in Verbobonc!"

Illianthar on
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Otinan actually had to think a moment about that. How long would they spend here? "We'll probably stay the night, at least." he thought, "and perhaps if I rent my own room I won't have to endure Quinn's dreadful snoring..." He stood up from the bar, leaving his long finished ale on the counter. "Have any rooms on the top floor available? Maybe with extra thick walls?"

The idea of seeing a ruined temple still harboring evil intrigued the wizard, and he made a mental note to visit it someday. Although he greatly disliked bandits and any other monsters you might find in the catacombs the temple almost certainly housed, he did find a strange irony in it. Perhaps the perfect victory of whatever blockheaded group of morons that last ran through the temple on a murder spree hadn't been so perfect after all? Yet more evidence that destiny isn't all-powerful, he supposed.

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    Alfonse_PalansoAlfonse_Palanso Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would like to look around the traders shop.

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    3seed3seed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Faergus watched Rufus and his men lead the prisoners away. The militia men were honorable and could be trusted to safely lock the brigands away.

His companions though were pulling apart, angled in different directions. Shadow had quite literally disappeared. Toothpick clearly itched to explore the town. Even the other paladin was distracted, gazing back the way they'd come with a frown on his face,

When Faergus asked Quinn what troubled him, he replied simply, "The Church."

"Ah, yes, it's troubling and warrants investigation. I'd be honored if you let me assist. Perhaps after we've dealt with the kidnappers?"

As they talked, Toothpick slipped away, waving to them without turning, mumbling around the pick perpetually in his mouth--something about a trading hall.

"Meet back at the inn in an hour," Faergus yelled after him.

The Dragonborn explained to the two remaining companions, "We don't' want to delay too long. This Lareth--he will begin to wonder when his men don't return from their ambush. We don't want to give him time to escape with the countess. If we leave in an hour, we'll still have light to travel and raid his camp as night falls. What say you? Is this a reasonable plan?"

As he watched the others disperse, Faergus wondered what to do with himself. The Inn drew his attention--a great deal of care was invested in it--but he'd used the last of his coin to purchase a beautiful Pelor's Sunburst in Verbobonc. And as his Aunt Hildeberg used to say, "The only thing less welcome than vermin at an inn are penniless guests."

Of course, that didn't stop her from handing out bread and scraps out the back door, but one didn't ever mention that to her face. Not unless one wanted a lecture and a scold.

Ah well, across the way looked to be a lovely grove of shade trees. That seemed as good a way to pass the time as anything else. He'd find a nice spot and rest there for a bit.
    The lovely grove is in fact the resident druid's home. If anyone is present, Faergus will greet them, be pleasant and charming, and ask questions about the town and neighboring areas.

3seed on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "I suppose that gives me an hour to think it over, then? I'll be ready with an answer." Valesti nodded at that. "...hopefully the others at least put some thought into this." She sighed, heading for the Inn. It wasn't like she had anywhere else to go at the moment. The Dwarf finds a seat outside, watching the center of town and waiting for the others to arrive as she ponders this plan.

Attack at night? Well, she could see just fine. Alfonse could likely slip ahead with her help. Of course, they had little information about just what waited for them. They would just have to do the best with what they had. The dragonman was right about the time, if it took them this long to reach the town, the bandits would have returned by now as well.
    !Ready

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rufus answers any last questions, and then he and his men take control of the prisoners, and march them off in the direction of the tower. After that the party go their separate ways, planning to meet back at the Wench in an hour.

Otinan
    "A room with a view, eh? I have just the thing, and sensibly priced too. Only one gold piece per night."

Ostler accepts payment for the room, depositing the coin into his apron pocket. He then reaches underneath the bar and produces a heavy iron key, handing it over to Otinan and pointing to the staircase at the other end of the Inn.

"Up the stairs, then it's the third door on your right. Breakfast is included, and is served starting at six in the morning. If you need anything between now and then, one of the serving girls is always about. Thank you for your patronage, and I hope you enjoy your stay."

As Ostler finishes speaking, the man at the end of the bar starts to stir, knocking over a pair of the mugs surrounding him. Ostler moves down to the end of the bar and shouts into the man's ear, simultaneously pouring another ale and placing it under the man's nose.

"ELMO! TIME TO WAKE UP AND GO HOME! HERE'S ONE FOR THE ROAD!"

Despite the shouting, the man barely moves. He looks up and around the room, his eyes bleary and blood-shot, before accepting the drink and taking a long swig. Rivulets of ale seep out from around the mug and down the man's face, which he then wipes with the back of his arm.

"Mmmm. You serves da best ale, Ostler." His speech is slow and halting, and he is obviously extremely inebriated. As his gaze completes its circuit of the common room, he spies Otinan sitting across the bar.

"Eh, it's an Elf! Me brudder Otis gave me a dagger made by a elf!" With that, he produces a finely made dagger from his belt. The craftsmanship is definitely elven, with gold filigree and deer horn intertwined on the handle, and a shining steel blade. He swishes it around in front of him a couple of times, nearly slashing Ostler in the process, before stuffing the knife back into its sheath. Standing up, he stumbles over to stand next to Otinan. "Ya looks like a magical elf. Ya need a bodyguard? Elmo is for hire. I just needs some chainmail and a BIG AXE!" He smiles broadly at the eladrin, speading his hands apart as far as he can to demonstrate the size of axe he would need.

Despite the stumbling and the almost overpowering smell of alcohol, Elmo's movements are very fluid, and you get the sense that he could handle himself quite well in a fight.

About this time, you hear the sounds of plated footsteps moving off into the distance. You can only assume that the Badgers are heading back to the tower. You also over hear the sound of Faergus's voice above the din, shouting "Meet back at the inn in an hour."

Alfonse
    You make your way up the street as the dragonborn shouts behind you. As you pass over the small creek running through the middle of the village, you come to a large building on your right. Outside the door, a shield and lantern are suspended from chains. The shield is painted, showing a sword and a cheese. This is the local trading post, wherein a merchant apparently provides for the needs of villagers, travellers and adventurers alike.

As you enter the building, you come face to face almost immediately with a tall, thin human. The man has sharp, angular facial features, and protruding eyes. His hairline is receding, so that now only the sides of his head have any hair. What hair he has is black, and kept shortly trimmed. Noticing you, his face brightens instantly and he puts on a smile.

"Hello there, young man! Welcome to my shop. I am Gremag, and here you will find anything and everything that you could possibly need. Please please, have a look around and be sure to let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. You may also ask my fellow shopkeep, Rannos." At the mention of the other man, he waves his hand in the direction of a countertop at the back of the store. Behind the counter stands an obese man dressed in black. He wears spectacles, which he constantly seems to be pushing back up with his finger. His breathing is heavy, and he seems to have a little trouble getting around.

Giving you a pat on the shoulder, Gremag continues, "Also, if you have anything you'd like to sell, my partner and I pay top dollar, I assure you. Just let us know and we'll make the deal!" With that, he wanders off to another part of the store.

The whole front of the trading post is filled with various goods, ranging from saddles and tack, to everyday tools and items. Towards the back of the building, the goods change to more adventuring gear, with racks of weapons, and a few sets of armor. There's also a large glass case which contains a pair of potion vials and several other miscellaneous items, all of very fine make. Beside the glass case is another weapon rack, with several weapons of obviously superior quality.

Trading Post Goods
    Mundane Equipment and Notes:
    • The Trading Post stocks all non-magical equipment listed in the Player's Handbook. All items are marked up 50% of the prices that are listed in the PHB. So a Longsword would be 23gp.
    • They have several of any particular item except for armor (and as listed below). There appear to only be one set of each type of armor here.
    • They have 4 riding horses and 1 warhorse for sale, as well as a pair of carts.

Magical Weapons:
    The weapon rack near the glass case has the following items:
    • +1 Longsword (x1) (540gp)
    • +1 Dagger (x2) (540gp each)
    • +1 Vicious GreatAxe (x1) (780gp)
    • +1 Holy Healer's Mace (x1) (780gp)
    • +1 Skewering Spear (x1) (1020gp)
    • +1 Thunderburst Longbow (x1) (1260gp)
    • +1 Thieving Dagger (x1) (1500gp)
    • +2 Battleaxe (x1) (2700gp)

Potions:
    • Potion of healing (x2) (75gp each)

Miscellaneous Magic Items
    All items are the lowest level of that item.
    • Bracers of the Perfect Shot (1020gp)
    • Bracers of Defense (3900gp)
    • +1 Wand of Ray of Enfeeblement (1020gp)
    • +1 Amulet of Mental Resolve (780gp)
    • +1 Cape of the Mountebank (1500gp)
    • Bag of Holding (1500gp)
    • Boots of Stealth (1020gp)
    • Feyleaf Sandals (780gp)
    • Shield of Defiance (5100gp)
    • Helm of Vigilant Awareness (3900gp)

Faergus
    The sounds of the village seem to fade away as you reach the shade of the grove. There is a slight breeze which moves the leaves of the trees, and the path itself seems to be more comfortable. Within the grove there are birds chirping in the trees, and squirrels and other small forest animals running about in apparent harmony.

As you reach the center of the grove, you are overwhelmed with a sense of piece. This is obviously a place of worship. The trees are neatly pruned, and the grass is well tended. A carefully placed line of bluish stones sets off the path leading to a rock cairn where flowers, nuts, berries, and garlands of leaves are placed. A small path leads beyond the shrine to a low-roofed wooden building placed under the great boughs of the central oaks of the copse.

Calling out to see if anyone is around, the door to the building opens, and an elderly human walks out. He is dressed in a simple green robe, and wears no shoes of any kind. His hair is grayed and his face is lined with wrinkles, but his eyes are bright with intelligence and inner strength. He moves slowly and deliberately out to meet you.

"Greetings, Paladin of Pelor. I am Jaroo Ashstaff, and this is my Grove. I hope that this place brings you peace from whatever struggles you might have had, and gives you strength for anything the future holds for you."

When asked about Hommlet and the surrounding areas, Jaroo calmly explains, "The people of Hommlet are a decent sort, but they have fallen on hard times as of late. Travellers through this area have lessened somewhat, and the recent bandit problem in the old Temple to St. Cuthbert has taken its toll also. Rufus and Burne do an admirable job protecting the people, and for my part I have introduced them to the Old Faith, to fill the void left when the clerics moved on."

"The Gnarley Woods to the east is an old forest. It has seen the coming and going of great evils in recent times, and the trees and bushes there still bear marks that attest to how the imbalance corrupted the area. I suppose bandits of a sort have been known to make their home there, but they usually do not tarry long in the area. The Gnarley has protectors, both seen and unseen, that work tirelessly to restore what was lost."

"But please, take a seat and rest yourself. And tell me, what brings you into our fold?"

Jaroo's demeanor throughout the conversation is completely at ease. He speaks evenly and without a great deal of emotion, except for when he mentions the suffering of the plants within the Gnarley Woods. At that point you can see his gaze harden and his jaw clench ever so slightly.

Quinn
    As you approach the church more closely, you notice that the building itself is still in fairly good condition. The stone walls are still intact, as are the stained-glass windows on the top floors. The two windows on the back of the church on the main floor are broken and boarded, as are the main doors.

As you move around behind the church, passing the broken windows, you feel an itch coming from the mark on your shoulder, and you feel a familiar force pulling you towards one of the windows. Moving closer, you notice that one of the boards is actually loose, and would allow you to enter. Moving it carefully out of the way, and being careful not to break anymore of the window itself, you enter the temple.

The interior of the church looks to have been severely damaged over the years. The wooden floors are cracked and broken in places, exposing the basement below. Mosaics on the walls depicting pastoral scenes have been defaced in some areas, and bear soot marks in others where fires have been started on the floor. As you move around to the center of the church, the itch grows in intensity, and your gaze is drawn to your left, into a circular sanctuary. Immediately you behold a life-sized statue of St. Cuthbert. Smiling, the avatar holds aloft a great cudgel in his right hand, while his left hand beckons the doubter and the faithful alike. The statue is remarkably intact, especially given that the altar and benches surrounding it have all been vandalized or destroyed outright. You step towards the statue and into a beam of light shining from one of the upstairs windows. In that moment you feel an overwhelming sense of peace and closeness with The Cudgel.

As you depart the church through the broken window and move to overlook the village you're filled with a sense of renewal. Hommlet stretches out before you. You see residents moving between the Inn and the other various buildings. In the distance you see the stone tower of Rufus and Burne, and the score of workers that are currently excavating the surrounding area to begin work on the keep proper. Your eyes move to the road that runs off into the east, out of the town and into the Gnarley Woods and towards the ruined moathouse Rufus spoke of. A sense of foreboding hits you as you look, but it is combatted by an awe-inspiring sense of conviction.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quinn waited for a short while as his companions went their different ways. After they had departed, he hopped onto his horse and made his way over to the temple of St. Cuthbert. Moving around the back of the church, he poked around for a few minutes, and then moved to a spot overlooking the town. He began to examine the town of Hommlet, and the interactions between the various folk. He dismounted, letting his horse feast on some particularly delicious looking grass, and prayed to St. Cuthbert for the wisdom and strength necessary to repair so much of the broken world.
    iReady

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Faergus and the druid relaxed under one of the grove's gracious oaks. The afternoon light filtered through the tree's leaves tinging each man's features green. The symbolism wasn't lost on the dragonborn, but there was no harm in it. Both Jaroo and he served life, each in their own way, and their conversation was a pleasant way to spend an hour.

Perhaps it came from growing up in an Inn, but Faergus loved learning about people and hearing their stories. It had taken some time to explain his own mission and encounter with Bralack's men, but afterwards the two men's discussion ranged widely; from the people of Hommlet to the similarities and differences of their respective faiths.

During a lull, while both men listened to the play of the wind in the branches above, Faergus turned the conversation back to the mission ahead. He said, "I wonder if you might grant me and my companions a boon? As I mentioned earlier, we're due to head east to raid a bandit stronghold and rescue the countess. But there's a chance the bandits will flee and head into the Gnarly Woods to escape us. If so, then more information about the recent evils that stalked amongst its trees would be of aid. Also, a token from you would help in assuring the wood's protectors that we mean the forest no harm. In return, I pledge to fight any evil encountered along the way. For Life's sake. Will you do this for us?"
    Just in case you need a Diplomacy roll:
    Diplomacy in the Druid's Grove: 1d20+10 14

Faergus will be !Ready once this interaction is resolved; heading back to the Inn to rejoin his companions.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I pull out my remaining gold pieces, which is very few. I look at the healing potions, and sigh. Not enough. I turn to Gremag, and thank him for help. With that, I put the gold back in it's pouch, and shuffle off back to the Inn to meet up with the party.

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Otinan smiled at the drunk's exuberance. "You've got yourself a deal, Elmo. Meet me back here in an hour and I promise the next axe I find will be yours to keep." With that he got up, walked to the door, and (after spending a few seconds admiring the hinges), set off to explore the town.

He left the inn and walked east, content to wander until he found something interesting. He used this time to reflect on the curious events that littered their journey. First, of course, was the elf. He hadn't stopped thinking about it since it happened, and the thoughts and ideas surrounding the riot still buzzed around in his skull. "Speaking of skulls," he thought, "why hasn't my cultist disguise been working lately?" It was true that people were paying much less attention to his usual antics, and even flat out ignoring Otinan himself sometimes. ...yet he could start a riot through fear alone without saying a word?

He was only a short way's walk from the Welcome Wench when he noticed a small house out next to a pasture. No doubt in one of his adventure stories an wizened old man would pop out of the house, ushering the heroes inside and offering them crucial advice. It was almost a cliché, really.

But that did bring to mind something else that had been bothering him; their adventure itself. Although it started out looking almost too similar to an average tall tale, some outside force seemed determined to toy with it. The gruesome deaths of the ruffians, the story of the temple...and he was pretty sure that heroes didn't go along recruiting random drunkards, either. And why did he receive the mark of the cudgel if he didn't even worship St. Cuthbert? Something was wrong here.

He decided to put his mind at rest; he would go up to the house, knock on the door, and see what would happen. He wasn't going to let his paranoia distract him in battle again. A ruffian or two got away last time because of his thoughts about the elf.

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Final Preparations in Hommlet

Month: Reaping
    Day: Earthday the 13th
    Time: midday

Faergus
    Jaroo lounged casually as he and Faergus talked. They traded stories and passed the time in peace beneath the trees. As their conversation wound to a close, Jaroo responded to Faergus's question and request.

"During the time of the Temple many evil creatures descended upon the Gnarley Woods. Not just men and beasts but demons, aberrations, and creatures from the Elemental Chaos. My order established a strong presence during this time to help push back the blight which threatened the woods, and we've been there ever since; never visible, but always watchful. I will pass word along to my brethren of your journey and intent. I can assure you that so long as your actions are without malice that they will not oppose you. I wish you luck in your quest, Faergus. Please return and tell me what you find. I will be most interested to hear."

With that, the druid exchanges a handshake with the paladin, and watches as he walks out of the grove. Looking back, Faergus sees a large brown bear saunter out of the woods and up to Jaroo, nuzzling the man with his nose. Jaroo scratches the bear behind the ears, and then they both turn and enter the hut.

Otinan
    Otinan walks down the main path east of the Welcome Wench, coming to a walled manor house. This place has an eight foot high stone wall and a heavy gate. It is obviously the residence of some well-to-do folk, and easily defensible in times of trouble. Looking through the gate, which is currently latched, Otinan sees a young boy playing in the courtyard. The boy looks up to see the eladrin, and his jaw drops and his eyes grow wide. Seemingly in a trance, he walks over to the gate and looks up at Otinan between the bars.

"Whoa! Are you an Eladrin mister? My mom told me stories about the Eladrin; that they're from another place. The Fay…Fey…Feywild, I think. Are you really from another place? What's it like there? And why are you dressed so weird? And what is it like having pointed ears? Can you hear way better than humans can?"

The child continues to ask questions without really stopping for a breath or an answer, until an elderly man comes out of the house and walks over to the gate. He is well-dressed, and walks with an air of authority. In the latter stages of middle-age, he's not yet a venerable soul, but definitely has seen his share of life. His features are slightly wrinkled, but also bear a kindness and inner strength. As he gets closer, the look on his face changes to one of surprise, with a hint of admiration. He stops behind the child, placing his hand on the young boy's shoulder, then opens the gate to speak face to face with the wizard.

"Greetings. I am Duncan, village elder of Hommlet. Rufus mentioned in passing that a new group of adventurers had arrived in town, but I had no idea that one of the noble Eladrin was among their ranks. I assume that you are with that group, since I have not seen you in town before. Your clothing is a bit…strange…for an adventurer, but I suppose the interesting thing about adventurers is that they are unpredictable, right?"

Looking down, he ruffles the boy's hair before continuing. "I trust that Thomas here hasn't been too much of a bother. He is fascinated by most everything, and has been known to talk to people non-stop if not given any direction."

After exchanging pleasantries and speaking for a few minutes, Duncan says, "Rufus also mentioned that you would be traveling to the ruined moathouse east of town. I truly hope, for the sake of the village, that your investigation bears no fruit, and the fort is indeed abandoned. I have a distinct feeling that is not the case though, and that dark times are ahead. I wish you luck in your journey, and I would hope that once you complete your task you would come back so we can discuss the Eladrin in more depth."

He bids farewell to Otinan, and guides Thomas back to the house. The boy looks back over his shoulder the entire time, straining to get as many glimpses of the wizard as possible.

An Hour Later:

The party gathers back in front of the Welcome Wench, ready to set out to the east towards Lareth's lair. As they meet in the square, a tall, well-built man in chainmail staggers down the street. A horse follows behind him, and the beast appears to help keep the man upright at times. Finally stumbling in front of the Inn, he comes to stand next to Otinan. Smiling broadly from beneath his helm, he brandishes a battleaxe for the eladrin. "Look, master elf! Me mum let me borrow dad's axe for me job!" Then, as if suddenly remembering, he adds in a more sober tone, "She said I 'ave to bring it back tho, so I'll still be needin' that other axe!" He then jolts to attention, bringing his hand up in salute so hard you hear a clang as it hits the helmet. "Elmo, reportin' for duty!" He stows the axe through a loop on the saddle and climbs onto the horse, and falls in behind the rest of the group as they head east.

Passing the stone tower and budding fortress the companions see Rufus standing on the hill. He salutes each of you as they pass. Elmo returns the salute, his chainmail gauntlet clanging against his helm again. Several of the workers also take a quick break from their labor to watch the group pass by, and watch until the party is lost in the trees of the Gnarley Woods.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Moathouse

Month: Reaping
    Day: Earthday the 13th
    Time: 5:00pm

A scrub of thorns, thistles, weeds and shrubs grows thickly along the edge of the track which leads in the direction of the ruined moathouse. Even the track is mostly overgrown and cluttered with fallen branches and trees. Here and there it is washed out, in other places a mire.

Some game evidently still follows the pathway, however, for after a mile or so faint traces can be seen. But even considering this, going is slow, and the only recurring sounds you hear are the belches of Elmo as he takes a few swigs off a waterskin filled with ale.

As you travel further and further into the woods, the brush and trees become more dense and twisted, as if there's an evil force which shaped the plants themselves against trespassers. After a few hours have passed from the time you left Hommlet, you reach a turn in the road. The main path continues to the north, deeper into the woods. The side path continues directly east and in the distance you can see the top of a crumbled tower, perhaps a quarter mile or so off the road. Following the side path, the land immediately begins to sink and become boggy. Tall marsh plants grow thickly where cattails and tamaracks do not. Going is even slower than before, but after a half hour or so you can plainly see the jagged silhouette of the moathouse through the brush as it opens up.

You stop at the edge of the marsh to take stock of the entire building, which is surrounded by a boggy moat stinking of decay. The vegetation appears dense and prolific, but somehow sickly and unhealthy; creepers and vines throwing their strangling loops over the skeletons of dead saplings and living bushes alike. The rushes and cattails rustle and bend even to a slight zephyr, and weird birdcalls, croakings, and other unwholesome sounds come faintly across the fen.

In the clearing past the trees you are currently standing within the path clears up a bit and goes past some murky green pools of water, directly to a drawbridge which crosses the moat itself. The drawbridge is currently down, and you can make out what looks like a courtyard beyond. The walls of the building are completely torn down in some places, and a ruined tower juts out of the corner nearest the drawbridge. The marsh seems strangely quiet here, with only a few bugs buzzing about. The air is stagnant and the ground is soft, and the sun, which is starting to set in the west, throws shadows across the area which help contribute to the overall sense of gloom.

Passive Perception (Valesti, Alfonse):
    There is a path leading through the brush around the side of the moathouse, leading towards the back. It looks as though someone has tried to conceal the path from view, and there are signs of recent passage.

The Moathouse:
    moathouseExt.png

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Faergus couldn't help it--he glanced back at the teetering Elmo. Three times already, the chain-clad warrior looked certain to topple from his horse, and three times the fellow managed to stay in the saddle.

The paladin regreted that his order disallowed gambling. He was sure that at least Alfonse would've been willing to bet with him on when the fellow might finally fall. Faergus had a great deal of experience dealing with drunks. The Copper Pot had its share, and he was good judge of drink's ability to impact their fighting skills. He was confident that he would've won such a bet.

In any case, he wondered if the others shared the same horrified fascination with the drunk warrior. It was riveting business, and a welcome distraction at the time, what with the Gnarly Woods just ahead.

Soon enough though, the pace slowed and the time came to focus on the battle ahead. Faergus and his companions traveled cautiously; alert for scouts or any other creature that might have given their approach away. They wanted to surprise the brigands if they could.

The path to the moat house was even more distasteful than Jaroo described. The evils that wracked this land must've terrible indeed. And when they finally arrived at their destination, there was no one in sight. The front door was open. Another ambush? Possibly. Probably. Perhaps the rescuers could enter through one of the gaps in the wall?

Faergus turned to his comrades and asked for a quick council of war. In hushed whispers, he expressed a desire for not walking into another trap.

3seed on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Valesti did not enjoy the walk. At all. She seemed pale, and stray bits of grime and sludge had smudged across her face in places. Her boots were filthy, and the rest of her outfit hadn't fared much better. She seemed a bit nauseated by the swampy conditions, and was starting to wonder if the reward was really worth all this.

However, the Dwarf didn't seem worried about Elmo at all. A man who seemed perpetually falling-down-drunk but could handle an axe and ride properly in heavy armor for hours at a time? Nothing strange about that. She actually felt a bit homesick, and that was thankfully a slight distraction from the long walk.

Once they arrived, she tried to ignore the horrible conditions and focus on the task at hand. From Alfonse's reaction, she could guess he saw the same thing she did. She was no master tracker, but she was able to point out the path well enough. "It could help us slip in, if we can find a way to cross the...moat." It seemed strange to call it that, since the ground around it was only slightly more solid than the 'water' inside. "But, if someone has been using it and attempting to keep it hidden...that means they likely already know about it, and would be expecting an intrusion from the back as much as from the front. Waiting for dark and slipping in through a gap in the side might be a better plan. It would give us time to observe them as well. Alfonse or I might be able to get a bit closer, keep an eye on them."

She nodded to herself after finishing, starting to think over their options while she waited for the others to weigh in.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alfonse snickered with toothpick in mouth, as Elmo corrected himself the third time. I wished Faergus was a betting man, as I'm sure we would have had great fun finding the results of this inebriated man.

Almost reading Velesti's glances at the moat house, and the pathway we spot. I do agree with her that we should check out that side entrance.

Toothpick in mouth, swirling about. I glance around the area. Yes, it's time to get dirty. I dismount from horse.

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The ride to the Moathouse was just that for Otinan; the ride to the Moathouse. He was used to traveling through forests and the occasional swamp. The creatures mentioned by the innkeeper had also failed to make an appearance, although maybe they were just legends. The only excitement of their journey came from Elmo, swaying in the saddle but never quite falling. Otinan was glad they had brought the drunk along.

Upon arriving at the castle, however, his mood quickly changed. It was oddly quiet in the clearing, and the castle looked somewhat mangy for a usable fortress. It was still easily defensible though, so he was glad when Valesti and Alfonse spotted the alternate path. "If we wanted to wait until dark I could conjure a campsite for us." he said, "Then we could sneak in without the possibility of an archer attack." The only real benefit to charging through the front gate in broad daylight would be that no one would expect it.
    !ready

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Quinn followed behind the others on his horse, warily watching Elmo and the others. He spoke little on the journey, thinking mostly about his experience at the church. He wondered why the priests had fled, when he had heard that the church was so robust in this part of the Flanaess. He realized that the mission to save the countess was likely more important than anyone thought, and that the dangers faced by Veluna and the surrounding environs were rather significant. Why else would he have felt the insistence of the cudgel, pushing him forward?

He was suddenly worried about Elmo. He realized that not only was Elmo young, but his penchant for drink could become a liability if they weren't careful. What possessed the mage to bring him along, Quinn couldn't guess, and he resolved to watch both of them further. He still did not fully trust his companions, especially the elvish mage. The mage seemed to act before he thought, and this behavior could get them into trouble in the future. He would have to keep a close watch on all of them, lest they appear to wary from the path of righteousness. Quinn knew that he might be the only one hardened enough to make the difficult choices necessary to stop the threat of Iuz.

When the reached the moathouse, Quinn's mark ached with pain, and he sensed that there was evil afoot. Saying nothing, he watched as the human and dwarf spotted a path off to the side. It seemed a better idea than a frontal assault, though he questioned how subtle they had the ability to be. Quinn was never known for for his subtlety.
    iReady

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The matter was settled then -- a stealthy attack under cover of darkness using the hidden side path. Anything else was just foolhardy, and life with Uncle Herbert and the rest didn't encourage foolishness nor foolhardiness. It was time to pull back and wait for night. When the time came, they'd sneak in. Faergus glanced at the still-drunk Elmo. This was going to be very interesting indeed.
    !Ready

3seed on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Their plan of action set, the party huddles in the deep brush as the sun slowly makes its descent into the western horizon. Elmo, apparently sensing the gravity of the situation through the fog of drunkenness, dismounts his horse and leads it off the track slightly, securing it to a tree and giving it a pat. He retrieves his battle axe and shield, and takes one last swig off his aleskin before moving to join the group. You can see that while he still sways slightly in time with the breeze, he seems to be more alert and aware of his surroundings than previously, though he still hiccups from time to time, and starts to stare off absently. At one point he does seem to sense your concerns, and meeting your gaze he breaks into a smile, saying softly "Elmo let sneaky people be sneaky; then he introduce meanies to Daddy's axe!"

The sun completes its departure, and the entire area is slowly plunged into darkness. The moon begins to rise but is only a sliver, and combined with the stars provides only the tiniest hint of light. Just as quickly as it leaves the sky, illumination springs up from inside the moathouse. A flickering glow is visible through the shattered beams of the roof, seeming to center around the area furthest back from your location. Under the cover of night you begin to make your way down the side path, being as careful as possible not to step on any branches, or make any other sounds. Some noise is inevitable, however, as the metal from the more heavily armored members of the group chinks together softly.

Initially the pathway is covered loosely with fallen branches and brush. Once you clear away the initial detritus, however, the path becomes much more maintained. It is covered on both sides by thick brush, creating significant cover for you as you move. Following the trail around the front side of the moathouse, your suspicions are confirmed when it bends slowly to the left, taking you directly to the back corner of the building. Your party comes to a halt where the foliage starts to thin out, about 10 feet away from the moat, and you take stock of your surroundings.

Light shines brightly through a collapsed area in the outer wall, directly across the moat from your location. Large rocks form a heap at the base of the collapse, extending out into the moat. Looking more closely, you see that the rocks are arranged in such a way that you could make your way from the bank across the moat and into the building with little trouble. The foliage continues to provide some cover all the way up to the moat in this area

You also catch your first glimpse of life inside the building. A human stands lazily inside the collapsed area, chewing on a hunk of meat. He's dressed in dark, loose-fitting clothes, and a club is propped against the wall next to him. His position within the building would seem to indicate that he is keeping watch on the entrance, but in reality his attention is diverted inside the building, where you can hear the sounds of dice clattering followed by simultaneous shouts of joy and anger from many different voices.

Moathouse Back Entrance Map
    moat7_rd0.png

Status Icon Primer:
    token_roughTerrain.png - Rough Terrain
    - Costs 2 movement to enter

token_concealment.png - Concealment/Cover
    - For this map, these squares are superior cover

OOC:
    Otinan, if you want to spend the 10 minutes to create your campsite before everyone leaves, just write that into your post, and I'll account for it going forward. Just wanted to get this going, and didn't want to cost you the material components if you were going to forego it for right now.

Alright, let's go ahead and kill a few birds with one stone.
    • Everyone can roll initiative as part of their next post
    • Let me know in the Spoiler tag which square on the map you would have stopped in. Elmo will be adjacent to Otinan (wherever that is), and between him and the moathouse. He is a bodyguard, after all.
    • Any square with a cover icon you can stop in without a Stealth check.
    • If you are going to try and cross the moat without being seen, it's a DC 10 Stealth Check. If you fail the check, I'll place you on the map somewhere between the edge of the moat and your destination square, based on how badly you fail. A 1 on the roll would be an automatic failure.

Initiative order will start as soon as someone is seen, or does something to provoke a fight.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Valesti led the way in the darkness, likely one of the least bothered by the slim sliver of moonlight. The rogue was nearby, with the others close behind. This would have been easy for anyone to realize even if they couldn't see them, due to the racket they were making. She halted in the thick brush near the break in the wall, observing the one visible guard. It didn't look too bad. As long as they weren't walking into another ambush.

The Dwarf hoped the others understood they wouldn't be slipping in as easily as Alfonse or her. Valesti tried to discretely motion for them to stay and the rogue to head across the moat with her first. Maybe they could take out the guard to buy the others time to clank and stumble inside and join them.
    Moving to L15.
    Init : 1d20+4=9

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Quinn waited for the stealthy types to do whatever they wanted, though before they left, he reminded them that he couldn't do much to help them from across the moat. He crouched in the cover, and waited for their signal.
    Initiative Roll: 1d20-1 = 8
    Quinn will be in N14

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Faergus nodded his understanding to Valesti, and prepared himself to charge forward in case his allies needed him.
    Moving to N12

Initiative at Moathouse: 1d20+1 19

3seed on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Otinan stood with guard in his sights, all manner of spells at the ready in case the guard wouldn't go quietly.
    Stopping at N14
    Int. roll:
    1d20+3 → [8,3] = (11)

OOC: Not building the campsite yet because we could theoretically just sleep in the castle, right?

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Following the dwarfs lead, I remain right behind her. At the edge of the brush, I whisper to Valesti "We can try to get him to come to us, and we can try to snag him, take his cloak, and impersonate him as watchman. Maybe even try to lure some out, one by one. What do you think?". I motion to her that I can cross over the water, and to the corner of the wall (L8).
    Moving to L16
    Init:5+12=17

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brigands of the Moathouse - Setup

The party maneuvers closer to the edge of the moat, careful to stay out of sight. Crouched in the tall ferns and weeds, they wait for the perfect moment to strike. The guard continues to lounge against the wall, occasionally yelling towards the game that is occurring. He doesn't appear to notice the movement in the reeds, and in fact he seems oblivious to anything happening outside of ruins.

I've got everyone's initiative, but we're still not operating under them. So whomever wants to be the first to try and cross the moat, write it up and make the Stealth check and move to someplace across the moat. Until someone fails a Stealth check, attacks the guard, or does something else overt, you're free to do what you want.

Map (Round 0):
    moat7_rd0.png

Stats:
    (L16) Alfonse: HP 22/22
    (N12) Faergus: HP 29/29
    (N15) Otinan: HP 21/21
    (N14) Quinn: HP 28/28
    (L15) Valesti: HP 26/26

(H8) Human Lackey 1: HP 1/1

(M14) Elmo: HP 45/45

Monster Details

moat7_lackey.pngHuman Lackey (Minion): HP 1; AC 13; Fort 15; Reflex 13; Will 11; (miss never damages a minion) Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Bandit's Resilience:
    When dropped to 0 hit points, does not fall unconscious until the end of next turn.

Strength in Numbers:
    +1 damage for each ally adjacent to target

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valesti gives her companion a look. A long, strange look. "...that's a bit optimistic. Let's just get close enough to get a good look. Perhaps if we're lucky, we can clear a quiet space to slip everyone else in." She nods at the choice of positions, though.

Leading the way for the human, she headed across the narrowest section of the moat. The Dwarf was surprised she didn't cause more squelching and sloshing, what with the horrible conditions they were slogging through. Valesti was only in the open for a few moments, before she took up a spot at the corner Alfonse had indicated. Cautiously, she peered around the corner, seeing what she could make out, combining that with the brief glimpse she'd had while crossing the moat.
    Moving to L9.
    Stealth : 1d20+8=20

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Before following Valesti, I give an end of rope to Elmo. I whisper, "Just in case you heavy guys get stuck, we can try to pull you heavy guys across, try...".

Peers at what looks like a small tree.

"Or I can tie the other end to that small tree, or large bush... I'll find something"

I then make my way over to the other side, and tie the other end of the rope to what looks like a small tree. (M8)

Stealth: 16+11=27

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brigands of the Moathouse - Updated Setup

Alfonse and Valesti slink quietly across the moat, making sure to test the stones before stepping, lest they give away their position by slipping. On the other side, Valesti has a clear view into the back corner of the room. She notices a dwarf dressed in plate armor. The dwarf is sitting at a desk with his back to the opening, and looks to be eating. A large warhammer sits on the table next to his food.

Alfonse peeks through an arrow slit as he makes his way to the corner of the building. The inside of the building is utterly destroyed. Furniture lies in wreckage, and there are heaps of cloth thrown into corners. He also notices another human sporting dark-colored clothing and a club. The man appears to be talking with a halfling in leather armor. Neither of them appear to notice the human as he peers in, as they are too engrossed in their conversation. Listening closely for a second, Alfonse can only make out the words "beast" and "poison", and notices that both of them shake their heads as they speak.

Any further movement requires a new Stealth check. If you're planning on moving more than 2 squares, then you're -5 to the check

Map (Round 0): Updated
    moat7_rd0.png

Stats:
    (O7) Alfonse: HP 22/22
    (N12) Faergus: HP 29/29
    (N15) Otinan: HP 21/21
    (N14) Quinn: HP 28/28
    (J9) Valesti: HP 26/26

(C8) Dwarven Bandit Leader: HP 64/64
    (H8) Human Lackey 1: HP 1/1
    (L2) Human Lackey 2: HP 1/1
    (G2) Human Lackey 3: HP 1/1
    (C4) Human Lackey 4: HP 1/1
    (D5) Human Lackey 5: HP 1/1
    (D3) Human Bandit 1: HP 37/37
    (F4) Human Bandit 2: HP 37/37
    (L1) Halfling Slinger: HP 22/22

(M14) Elmo: HP 45/45

Monster Details

moat7_lackey.pngHuman Lackey (Minion): HP 1; AC 19; Fort 18; Reflex 19; Will 15; (miss never damages a minion) Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Bandit's Resilience:
    When dropped to 0 hit points, does not fall unconscious until the end of next turn.

Strength in Numbers:

moat7_dwarf.pngDwarven Bandit Leader: HP 64; Bloodied 32; AC 23; Fort 18; Reflex 15; Will 17; Speed 5; Vision: Low-Light
    +5 to saving throws versus poison
    Traits:
    Stand Your Ground:
    When an effect forces a dwarf to move, the dwarf moves 1 square less than the effect specifies. When an attack would knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

moat7_halfling.pngHalfling Slinger: HP 22; Bloodied 11; AC 15; Fort 12; Reflex 15; Will 13; Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    +5 to saving throws versus fear effects
    Traits:
    Nimble Reaction:
    +2 AC versus opportunity attacks

moat7_bandit.pngHuman Bandit: HP 37; Bloodied 18; AC 16; Fort 12; Reflex 14; Will 12; Speed 6; Vision: Normal

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valesti peered into the room, noticing the other Dwarf. They were fairly clear from that direction, at least. She glanced back at Alfonse, giving him time to peek inside the arrow slit before she motioned that she was advancing. Shifting closer, she just needed a better look. No reason to rush this. The Dwarf looked back across the moat, needing a moment to spot her companions, reassuring herself that backup was close.
    Moving to J9.
    Stealth : 1d20+8=25

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Spotting the two in my arrow slit, I wonder who else might be in there. I move down to the next arrow slit. To see if they still have any other friends in there. I motion to let her know I see two so far, and not quite sure if i like her getting to close yet, motion to "Hold" and keep an eye open.

I then motion again that I'm going to move down(O8) and look for more bandits. Hoping she doesn't cause a rouse, I turn around. Creeping ever so cat like I proceed to the next slit as to take another peek.
    Move: O8
    Stealth: 19+11=30

She made it closer to the hole in the wall more than I expected. I continue to the second slit, tooth pick slightly upward, and a wicked grin. Thinking to myself, "This could work out very well this time."

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Signals to Valesti that there are two on my end, and that I'm ready. Signals to the group in the brush, that I'm ready.

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valesti slipped an axe into either hand as she crept forward the last few feet after Alfonse signaled to her. She took a deep breath, quietly, now close enough she could almost reach around the corner and touch the bandit guard. She put all worries about missing at this range out of her head and swung her weapon around the broken corner of the building, catching the bandit by surprise. As the axe buried into his head, he had no time to cry out. His body simply crumpled to the floor in a heap, fast enough that it shocked even Valesti.
    Minor Action : Draw hand axes.
    Move Action : Move to 19.
    Standard Action : Nimble Strike

Attack Roll : 1d20+7=27
    Damage Roll : Critical Hit, Max Damage - 12

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Faergus watched his stealthy comrades sneak around the ruined wall of the moat house. In his belly, excitement and the sinking-feeling-before-combat mingled in his belly. He took a breath, let it loose solely. He'd already mapped his route across. When Valesti struck, he'd have to move fast. He glanced behind, and the others were ready too. Even Elmo.

When the axe struck the guard, Faergus almost didn't see it. A clean blow that nearly took the man's head. It was a beautiful thing, if one could call such a thing beautiful. In any case, it was time to move. The Paladin rushed across the stones to join Valesti by the wall.
    Surprise round
    Move action: Move to J8

3seed on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quinn noticed Faergus moving up, and moved himself along as well, crossing the stream and approaching the rubble. He made his way through the rubble, which slowed him down, to the dwarf
    1 Action (Move): Move to I11

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Otinan moved behind the clanking mass of swordsmen that surged toward the opening in the wall. He had hoped to rack up a kill before they knew he was there, but the dwarf already had that covered. Wand in hand and numerous incantations dancing in his head, Otinan prepared himself for the upcoming battle
    Move Action: Move to L11

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Brigands of the Moathouse - Round 1

The sickening crunch of Valesti's axe into the skull of the guard jolts the rest of the room, and the inhabitants scramble to defend themselves against the onrushing adventurers.

The dwarf in the corner gets to his feet, knocking the chair that he was sitting in over. Grabbing his warhammer, he moves across the room to the opposite corner, behind a group of men sitting on the floor. "Holy hell!" he exclaims as he retreats, "They killed Briarn! We'll not let that stand, men! Get to it! Let's show 'em what the Black Hearts are made of!"

The bandits spring into motion. The one standing near the door pulls a dagger from his belt and hurls it towards Valesti, striking her in the shoulder. He then throws open the door next to him, which leads into a larger antechamber. A bandit at the back of the room stands up, grabbing a mace from the floor beside him, and then draws a dagger.

Seeing the events unfold before him, Elmo charges forward, bellowing a guttural battle cry. He turns his assault towards the bandit who just threw a dagger, burying his battleaxe into the man's chest with a thud. Pulling the axe from the wound, Elmo breathes heavily into the man's face. "Something to ease the hurt for you, boy!" he says with glee.

Hearing a commotion from the back room, the halfling scurries across the larger antechamber and out of Alfonse's view.

Map (Round 1):
    moat7_rd1.png

Enemy Actions
    (C8)Dwarven Bandit Leader:
    • Move: Stand up
    • Minor: Ready Warhammer
    • Standard: Move to C3

(D3)Human Bandit 1:
    • Move: Stand up
    • Minor: Ready Mace
    • Standard: Draw Dagger

(F4)Human Bandit 2:
    (L1)Halfling Slinger:

NPC Actions
    (I10)Elmo:

Initiative:
    Dwarven Bandit Leader: 24
    Human Bandits: 23 average
    Elmo: 21
    Halfling Slinger: 19
    Faergus: 19
    Alfonse: 17
    Otinan: 11
    Valesti: [URL=" http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3002808/"]9[/URL]
    Quinn: 8
    Human Lackies: 6 average

Here's how it goes: Allies/enemies take turns out of order in a group/block. So if 3 PCs are in a block together before an enemy goes, those 3 can take their turns in any order. Then the enemies go that are in a block, then the next set of PCs go.

Stats:
    (O7) Alfonse: HP 22/22 | AP: 1 | HS: 6/6
    (J9) Faergus: HP 29/29 | AP: 1 | HS: 14/14
    (L11) Otinan: HP 21/21 | AP: 1 | HS: 6/6
    (I11) Quinn: HP 28/28 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10
    (I9) Valesti: HP 18/26 | AP: 1 | HS: 10/10

(C3) Dwarven Bandit Leader: HP 64/64
    (D3) Human Bandit 1: HP 37/37
    (F4) Human Bandit 2: HP 24/37
    (L2) Human Lackey 2: HP 1/1
    (G2) Human Lackey 3: HP 1/1
    (C4) Human Lackey 4: HP 1/1
    -Prone (Grant CA, -2 to attacks, +2 defenses versus ranged attacks from non-adjacents foes)
    (D5) Human Lackey 5: HP 1/1
    -Prone (Grant CA, -2 to attacks, +2 defenses versus ranged attacks from non-adjacents foes)
    (???) Halfling Slinger: HP 22/22
    -Hidden (Perception DC: 24)

(F5) Elmo: HP 45/45

[STRIKE](H8) Human Lackey 1: HP 1/1[/STRIKE]

Monster Details

moat7_dwarf.pngDwarven Bandit Leader: HP 64; Bloodied 32; AC 23; Fort 18; Reflex 15; Will 17; Speed 5; Vision: Low-Light
    +5 to saving throws versus poison
    Traits:
    Stand Your Ground:
    When an effect forces a dwarf to move, the dwarf moves 1 square less than the effect specifies. When an attack would knock the dwarf prone, the dwarf can roll a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

moat7_halfling.pngHalfling Slinger: HP 22; Bloodied 11; AC 15; Fort 12; Reflex 15; Will 13; Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    +5 to saving throws versus fear effects
    Traits:
    Nimble Reaction:
    +2 AC versus opportunity attacks

moat7_bandit.pngHuman Bandit: HP 37; Bloodied 18; AC 16; Fort 12; Reflex 14; Will 12; Speed 6; Vision: Normal

moat7_lackey.pngHuman Lackey (Minion): HP 1; AC 19; Fort 18; Reflex 19; Will 15; (miss never damages a minion) Speed 6; Vision: Normal
    Special:
    Strength in Numbers:

I posted the coordinates of everyone as well, making it easier to plan your attacks (Letter, then number).
    Another way to make it easier is to post what monster you hit e.g. Melee Basic attack on Grunt(F5)

COLOR="Lime"] Up Next: Faergus, Alfonse, Otinan, Valesti, Quinn[/COLOR[On Deck: Lackies, Round 2]

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The bandits were quicker to respond than Faergus anticipated. No sooner than the sentry's body hit the ground in a soft thud did they leap into frenzied action. As did his new inebriated comrade.

The Dragonborn charged into the ruined moat house after Elmo. He had a fleeting moment to admire the warrior's axe stroke before focusing on his own battle--the cluster of enemies gathered in the room's far corner.

He'd held tight winter's icy breath as Valesti and Alfonse did their sneaking. Now it was time to let it loose--a spray of intense cold that hit the bandit in the top of his head, shattering his skull. The other prone bandit rolled away, but his two upright companions weren't so lucky.

Faergus smiled, grim and unfriendly. He had their attention now, the follow-up swing readied for the first of the bandits to step into reach.
    Move Action: to D6
    Minor Action: Dragonbreath

Dragon Breath vs Reflex on Bandit Lackey (D5): 1d20+4+2(CA) 19 HIT 1d6+2 7
    Dragon Breath vs Reflex on Bandit Lackey (C4): 1d20+4-2(prone) 7 MISS
    Dragon Breath vs Reflex (C3): 1d20+4 22 HIT
    Dragon Breath vs Reflex (D3): 1d20+4 18 HIT

Lackey (D5) killed.
    Lackey (C4) missed, but subject to Divine Sanction.
    Bandit Leader (C3) hit for 7 points and subject to Divine Sanction.
    Bandit (D3) hit for 7 points and subject to Divine Sanction.

Targets subject to Divine Sanction are marked and take 8 points of damage if their attacks do not include Faergus.

Standard Action: Ready an attack--the next enemy that steps adjacent, Faergus attacks with Enfeebling Strike.
    Enfeebling Strike vs AC: 1d20+8 12 1d8+5 6

[ Up Next: Alfonse, Otinan, Valesti, Quinn]
    [On Deck: Lackies, Round 2]

3seed on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Valesti tries to duck around the corner after surprising the bandit, but leaves a bit too much exposed. The Dwarf gasps as the thrown knife leaves her with a gash, ricocheting off her armor after it bites through. Grimacing, she draws another axe while Elmo charges past her. Pausing to let Feargus dash inside as well, her grim expression has turned into a smile by the time she enters, hugging the wall as Elmo engages the bandit that injured her.

"I already like this one more than the lot of you. Maybe he was a Dwarf in a past life?" She barks with laughter even as she tosses both axes, lobbed up and over Elmo to crash down onto the bandit's shoulders. Another pair of axes were already in her hands as she kept a wary eye on the other enemies in the room, leaving the bloodied, nearly dead bandit for their new friend to finish off.
    Minor Action : Draw axe.
    Move Action : Move to F8.
    Standard Action : Two-Fanged Strike on Bandit F4.

Attack 1 : 1d20+6=17 HIT
    Attack 2 : 1d20+6=21 HIT
    Damage : 1d6+6=7, 1d6+6=11 18+3 Wis = 21

Action Point : Minor Action : Draw axes.

[ Up Next : Alfonse, Otinan, Quinn ][ On Deck : Lackies, Round 2 ]

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was getting ready to take aim at one of the bandits at the table, when they jumped up, and scattered as they heard the crack of bone, and body fall to the ground. With the halfling and human moving out of sight, I had to find a new spot to take my shot, and ended up at another arrow slit. Daggers out this time, I send one flying towards the human lackey, as I couldn't see the halfling anymore. I heard the thud, as my dagger hit the target, unsure of the halfling, I hug the wall as to hopefully not get a returned suprise. Looking over to my left, I see the party start to charge in. Tooth-pick flicking furiously, I know I'm going to have to peek back into the room, and see if there is still anyone in there.
    Suprise:
    Move action: L7

Active:
    Minor Action: Draw Dagger
    Standard Action: Sly Flourish vs Human Lackey (L2) {+10 (+2 CA, -2 Cover) vs. AC(19) = 30 HIT! ; 12 + 12 (Sneak Attack)= 24 total damage}
    Move Action: Draw Shuriken
    dead.jpg
    [ Up Next: Otinan, Quinn ][ On Deck : Lackies, Round 2 ]

Alfonse_Palanso on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Quinn moved quickly into the room, surveying the situation. Faergus had locked down the corner, and the other bandit was being handled by Elmo quite easily. He muttered something under his breath about dwarves, and charged toward one of the bandits. He missed the bandit, and then peered around, looking for the halfling he saw earlier.

Immediate Reaction on Faergus' Turn: Faergus gained the benefit of my virtue of valor, being the first person to down an enemy before my turn came up. +4 Temporary Hitpoints for Faergus!
    Minor Action: Nothing
    Move action: Move to G8
    Standard Action: Charge to G5, use Encounter Power: Virtuous Strike on Human Bandit at F4, in place of melee basic attack.
    Attack Roll: 1d20+7 = 13, MISS!

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif