As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I get the impression that KoA is pretty western fantasy rpg by the book, even if it has crafted a pretty damn good version of said book.

This however has elements that are exciting and new (or at least given a new spin). They may work, they may not, but it will be something new to try them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, I am less afraid now that the game will be disappointing or bad from what I've seen. I'm convinced this is going to be great.

I'm now just worried the game sells a collective ten copies and we never see more of it.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You know, I am less afraid now that the game will be disappointing or bad from what I've seen. I'm convinced this is going to be great.

I'm now just worried the game sells a collective ten copies and we never see more of it.

It'll probably do pretty good. Hype has slowly but surely been rising in the west, and Japan had been pretty hyped for this for a long time. And a sequel should be easier and cheaper to develop for since all the assets and mechanics are already made.

That said, whether it'll do good enough to justify the dev costs(Capcom's most expensive game by far)? Now that's something to worry about.

EVOL on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Nah, I think it's just in the mechanics. Both are pretty generic fantasy, but one is just really shallow looking while Dragon's Dogma looks like it has it where it counts.
    Please elaborate on how shallow KoA was?

I'm just as hyped for this as I was for KoA and I know I haven't scratched the surface of KoA after 150 hours of play.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    really josh?

the combat system in koa is super exploitable and im not really sure where the depth is

the world is not very alive and the story is shallow

the game is lots of fun but it isnt... deep

obF2Wuw.png
  • TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    KoA was shallow enough that I literally feel badly that you've sunk 150 hours into it, because it has ~10 hours of decent content with the rest being badly itemized looting/poorly designed dungeoning/deadening, uninteresting fantasy 101 plot and setting. it certainly was good at scratching that pavlovian itch of "see quest marker, OH MAN QUEST, man this was horribl-OH MAN QUEST MARKER", though.

I look forward to trading it in for this game (or the witcher, decisions decisions), which fortunately looks like it has an original idea or two floating around in comparison.

Torgairon on
    KoA has plenty of depth in its combat system, but they dropped the ball so badly on difficulty none of it actually matters. Hopefully they will actually patch the difficulty so the combat system has the chance to actually shine like it should.

At the same time, this game lets me climb all over dragons and stab them in the face. I don't see anything getting my attention once I have this.

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Why is it that Dragon's Dogma intrigues me while Kingdom of Amalur just makes me roll my eyes?

Kingdom of Amalur was a pretty GOOD game, not a great one, but a good one. The perfect game to buy when your low on RPG's to play. I'm betting Dragon's Dogma will be considerably better though!

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    really josh?

the combat system in koa is super exploitable and im not really sure where the depth is

the world is not very alive and the story is shallow

the game is lots of fun but it isnt... deep

Just because the combat was exploitable doesn't mean you have to exploit it. We can go on about how they could have changed it. I found gorhart to ysa full of life. It tapered off after and resurged back at Mel Senshir.

I'm not saying it was deep either.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    i am very curious how long I can hang on to a flying beast for.

because I would love to somehow ride a griffon to wheverever.

I also would like to kill a flying animal in mid air, while I'm riding it, so we both plummet to the ground.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    i am very curious how long I can hang on to a flying beast for.

because I would love to somehow ride a griffon to wheverever.

I also would like to kill a flying animal in mid air, while I'm riding it, so we both plummet to the ground.

This is actually the fast travel system in play.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Nah, I think it's just in the mechanics. Both are pretty generic fantasy, but one is just really shallow looking while Dragon's Dogma looks like it has it where it counts.

I'm just as hyped for this as I was for KoA and I know I haven't scratched the surface of KoA after 150 hours of play.

Just going from the demo I should be able to visit a shop and you know shop even if I haven't done a quest for the owner yet. I should also be able to walk ten feet without seeing thirty quests light up.

If you haven't scrathed the surface its probably because T'wingo of the mag'kumpiol keeps popping up and telling you to find something and kill / return it to someone.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Does KoA open up after the opening? I remember being pretty hyped, only to be completely turned off after playing through the demo.

Oh man, if you can get parachutes?

Dragon Base Jumping.

Make it happen Capcom.

EVOL wrote: »
    Does KoA open up after the opening? I remember being pretty hyped, only to be completely turned off after playing through the demo.

After the tutorial you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Except shop for potions.

The world itself seems fairly linear though.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Just going from the demo I should be able to visit a shop and you know shop even if I haven't done a quest for the owner yet. I should also be able to walk ten feet without seeing thirty quests light up.

If you haven't scrathed the surface its probably because T'wingo of the mag'kumpiol keeps popping up and telling you to find something and kill / return it to someone.

Your complaints are ridiculous and blatently untrue.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Also, just because you see somebody with a quest for you, it doesn't mean you have to go talk to them and accept it. Then again... an RPG with lots of quests is supposed to be a good thing.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I embellished slightly.

There's no apostrophe in magikumpiol.

The sheer volume of quests isn't the problem its that each quest goes into ANOTHER QUEST. Its maddening.

The potion thing I was talking about is a good example.

I at the urging of an NPC go talk to an Elf to find out how to heal an injured Elf.

I find the elf despite the stellar directions of that hill over there and she says I need to try a potion.

I go back to town and the Potion vendor will not sell me anything. I can't complete my initial quest because she has a more urgent quest. What's better is I can't buy anything from her at all. Wonderful.

If the same basic thing hadn't happened two more times on two completely unrelated quests maybe I wouldn't have murdered the entire town while waiting for my mass effect gun.

King Riptor on
    Isn't that a good way to do questing? Felt organic to me.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if you can throw geese in this game.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm all for Capcom finally doing some new IPs and this game sounds fuckawesome.

I just wish I'd stop reading Pawns as Prawns. I have no idea why I keep doing that.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I just wish I'd stop reading Pawns as Prawns. I have no idea why I keep doing that.

Pawns in a pinch taste wonderful with cocktail sauce.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Pawns in a pinch taste wonderful with cocktail sauce.

The Henchmen Platter, now available at Red Lobster!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I just wish they'd turn Pawns into Prawns. Then this would truly be the best game.

I agree.

Ok so the demo only lets you import the character and pawn not any experience. Oh well you still get too fool around with the character creator so that's fine.

I want to mess with the character creator, and the demo has the Strider, which is probably the class I will try first. I am going on a trip April 25th, so I don't know if I will get to play the demo at all until the next week, but that doesn't really matter.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    General inquiry:

Can you switch class at any time? Like I could just test out all the classes and see what I have most fun with without making a new character?

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I laughed at this game at first. "Dragon's Dogma"? What a silly name. An unknown IP from Capcom (hello lost planet!)? A skyrim rip off? Oh, did I judge the cover too harshly.

Then I followed this thread.

Now I'm ecstatic for that demo and this game.
    This game looks so awesome. I'm a believer.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I don't even know where you would get a Skyrim ripoff from.

Its more Monster Hunter than anything since the combat actually looks fun.

Dragkonias on
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    There's a lot of things about this that sold me instantly.
    But the first ever video I saw of it a long time ago sold me for the most ridiculous reason. I don't even recall all of the specifics, but there was one part that showed 3 (I think) characters running and then jumping off of a ledge to the grass below. The jump animation just looked right and satisfying and that sold me. Strange, I know.

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't even know where you would get a Skyrim ripoff from.

Its more Monster Hunter than anything since the combat actually looks fun.

Yeah, how would someone ever make a connection between a fantasy game with dragons and another fantasy game with dragons. :rotate:

Lilnoobs on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/dragons-dogma-gets-a-dragons-demo-next-week/

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*edit* Holy shit, the dude and pawn you make transfer to the main game!

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Mang, I'd probably still be playing Skyrim if it had combat this exciting.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Sweet. It'll be good to get my hands on it and get a feeling for if all this hype I feel is justified.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/16/dragons-dogma-gets-a-dragons-demo-next-week/

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

*edit* Holy shit, the dude and pawn you make transfer to the main game!

The XP doesn't though, so...

Eeh, I'm just excited to decide upon which class to play so I don't have to faff around when I play for realsies.

And hey, this is Capcom. With Dead Rising: Case Zero your Chuck retained up to 5 levels worth of experience when you transferred him. They may or may not do something similar here.

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    I don't understand why people thought xp would carry over from the demo and/or why it's a problem it doesn't.

The demo consists of two separate scenarios to play through. Did people want to grind them for a head start or something?

It's effectively the saints row initiation station with the added benefit of trying out the gameplay.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    Yeah it doesn't bother me, just means I make my doods first and see what I like before I commit entirely to it.

Ok, was not aware that the XP was already confirmed to not carry over. That's fine, still just looking forward to locking in my class.

This discussion has been closed.