As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Capcom's [Dragon's Dogma] - POST IN NEW THREAD

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oooh, your character is going to be more customizable than I thought. Can you choose between male and female too?

Yes.

What is all this Berzerk willy-chuffing over exactly?

A medieval manga and anime series starring a man named Guts who wields a huge sword and is just a bad motherfucker. I really enjoyed the anime, though it ended where the manga just started to get good (I'm actually reading through all of it now for the first time). It does a pretty good job of showing him as a young man who's good at killing people turn into a man who can single-handedly kill over 100 men in one fight and then all of a sudden, whoops, there are huge demon monster things and he's killing shit the size of a warehouse like a badass. I'm enjoying the shit out reading through it all.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Hot damn, went ahead and pre-ordered.

This game looks to be just as good as, if not better than, Kingdoms of Amalur.

Hype!

Not like Amulur set a high bar. Great combat + zero difficulty = who cares. Even on hard its a snorefest. Enemies were just bags of hp u whittled down. I don't care about magic, fighting, crafting, or loot when none of it matters because I can already overcome any of the challenges the game has planned for me.

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The updated Pawn selection is quite nice. I like that you can favorite pawns an 'buy' them at a level higher than you so you don't have to constantly switch them out. It makes it important to build a good buddy pawn and train/gear the hell out of that fella.

Edit: There was a 3rd in the OXM series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsVmmXQqWA

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Whoa. There is a whole series of class related preview videos out there. The Ranger looks badass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eLkqLweybk

The Strider has a Scorpion style lash. Fighter does a LOT of counter/combos.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Hey, question. Is there, perhaps, a way to just punch things to death in this game that we know of?

I mean, it's already looking like a swift purchase, but if I can fistfight worth a damn it will go up to Day One.

I agree. Would be a hilarious Fighter option.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Man, all of the classes look so fun. This game is gonna be so good.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Okay. I take it back my no-multiplayer = bargain bin comment. And I'm sorry.
    I've watched more footage of the game in action.

Day 1. So making a roguish character and jumping on colossi to kill them.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The more I see of this game the more awesome it gets.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I quite impressed with this 'Pawn' system.

Just the other day I was thinking to myself about how odd it is that there's this convention in RPG games where you can meticulously customize...yourself.

Just you.

Now, you might be saying "...yeah?" but, hear me out.

They give you thousands of combinations for your look. A ton to play with, a ton. And then...you pick your guy, and out you go. That whole mechanic is never used again in the game. Maybe it's just me, but couldn't that be used a little...more?

This might be crazy, but I'd like an RPG where at any time, you can just design faces or whatever. And the profile you've created will store them as a pool of avatars. And who knows? One day you walk into a shop and the guy running the show is one of your guys. It's almost like you get to recognize him. Almost like you put him there. Maybe go crazy, maybe because it's your guy you designed, he takes a liking to you and gives you special treatment. Maybe? And if some of the guys in your pool become bad guys, it's worse because, again, you made them.

Probably involves giant save files, but, is that really a concern these days?

ANYWAY.

Love the pawn system. This game is my Next.

I quite impressed with this 'Pawn' system.

Just the other day I was thinking to myself about how odd it is that there's this convention in RPG games where you can meticulously customize...yourself.

Just you.

Now, you might be saying "...yeah?" but, hear me out.

They give you thousands of combinations for your look. A ton to play with, a ton. And then...you pick your guy, and out you go. That whole mechanic is never used again in the game. Maybe it's just me, but couldn't that be used a little...more?

This might be crazy, but I'd like an RPG where at any time, you can just design faces or whatever. And the profile you've created will store them as a pool of avatars. And who knows? One day you walk into a shop and the guy running the show is one of your guys. It's almost like you get to recognize him. Almost like you put him there. Maybe go crazy, maybe because it's your guy you designed, he takes a liking to you and gives you special treatment. Maybe? And if some of the guys in your pool become bad guys, it's worse because, again, you made them.

Probably involves giant save files, but, is that really a concern these days?

ANYWAY.

Love the pawn system. This game is my Next.

So, basically like Sims in an RPG? I could get behind that.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Doesn't Dragon Quest IX sort of do that?

Either way, I'd definitely like to see more people doing something similar.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The more I read and see of this game, the more excited I get.

PLEASE don't suck. Oh please.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Well, the chap from OXM seems to love it, based on the videos he's done. I don't know his review pedigree, but if nothing else, he's not on the devteam or anything.

yalborap wrote: »
    Well, the chap from OXM seems to love it, based on the videos he's done. I don't know his review pedigree, but if nothing else, he's not on the devteam or anything.

The pawn system is just such a cool idea. In fact the whole game is filled with cool ideas. I just hope all these cool ideas gel into a cohesive whole that makes a fantastic game. I am pleased to see the game is all about you and companions are there just to help out - was kind of worried for a while. I'm probably going to shoot the shit out of people with arrows and have a warrior as a backup pawn (who I shall whore out to the internet for free stuff :D).

Aegeri wrote: »
    I'm probably going to shoot the shit out of people with arrows and have a warrior as a backup pawn (who I shall whore out to the internet for free stuff :D).
    Listen. We should set down some ground rules about pimpin and what it ain't. Maybe you haven't noticed this here exquisite purple suit of mine, but it most certainly wasn't free. You should probably run along before a successful entrepreneur such as myself finds you imposing on their territory.

I. Run. Casadeis.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm sure they have the monster hunter guys on speed dial, if not on the team itself.

Just from what I've seen, it would be very hard for this to suck.

I was pretty much sold when he threw the guard off the roof, though.

steam_sig.png
    I am just hoping that there aren't substantial control issues or similar that get in the way. I love the concept they have with pawns and hope that many kinds of pawns are viable (especially for different builds). It would kind of suck if the AI was only really good at ranged magic/arrows, but the melee AI wasn't competent enough to make them useful.

But again, I'm just being a little conservative because I don't want to get so excited and then this game just DA2 me out of nowhere. Albeit it looks really really great. Definitely preordering this I feel.

edited March 2012
    Okay. I take it back my no-multiplayer = bargain bin comment. And I'm sorry.
    I've watched more footage of the game in action.

Day 1. So making a roguish character and jumping on colossi to kill them.

I know right. Damn this game for making Rangers with their Dukes of Hazard style exploding arrows. THIS GAME IS MAKING ME WANT TO PLAY A RANGER DAMN IT! Or worse a Magic Archer...I've gone all Bow-y'.

Nooooooooooo!1111!!!!!

...any way. I think I'm going to build me a Sword Mage companion and give him aggressive mutton chops and eyebrows.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    oh man that pawn system looks so cool

PNk1Ml4.png
    However there really haven’t been any games that let you have complete control over the height and frame of your character and had that reflect back in the story of the game. (You are able to choose from three pre-set heights in Dragon Age.) One of the reasons for this, I think, has to do with the presence of cinematics that advance the story. Well then – what’s so hard about cinematics?

Some of the characteristics of cinematics include displaying complex behaviors that can’t be done in game such as characters embracing or holding certain objects and the ability to clearly convey emotion or intent. But the biggest characteristic of cinematics is camera framing. Although it may seem completely obvious, there’s no such thing as a cinematic that doesn’t use camera framing. When considering framing the most important thing to think about is how the subject will show up in the final piece. However when your subject’s height and frame can be changed from the ability to customize them you can’t really lock down your framing. So, for instance, if you locked down the framing for a shot taken from the bust up of the hero and heroine facing each other, increasing the height of the hero by 30cm would lead to his head being cut out of frame.

So I’m sure you can deduce from the preceding explanation that customizable character sizes and cinematics do not go well together at all. I racked my brain over this problem more than any other at the beginning of development. After much trial and error, I finally arrived at my solution – implementing a function that would automatically compensate the camera and motion based on the size of the character and would immediately reflect that result into a real-time rendered cinematic.

This automatic compensation function is incredibly smart, so to return to the previous example wherein the hero and heroine were facing each other, even if the hero or heroine’s height were to be varied, the system will automatically adjust the framing so that both of the characters’ faces are shown in frame. Furthermore, using motion compensation, even if the characters bend their necks at a different angle then they’ll still be looking at each other’s faces. And even if the hero places his hand on the heroine’s shoulder this function will compensate for the size of the character to ensure the hand stops at the proper coordinate. Using this we were able to solve many of the problems associated with the in-game cinematics. However this wasn’t an end-all-be-all cure to all of our problems. For instance – the difference in strides a character takes from their variations in height. The key to solving the rest of the problems we faced was manipulation of something that is all-important to us designers – the camera angle. In other words, we were careful to show only what we wanted people to see, while not showing what we didn’t.

The result was being able to achieve incredibly natural camera framing of performances by customized characters utilizing our automatic compensation function and camera angles unique to Dragon’s Dogma. When you play the game for the first time you will probably watch the real-time rendered cinematics without even noticing. But after beating the game please go through for a second run. At that point you’ll notice that, even with a completely different sized character, you will be able to enjoy cinematics that will flow naturally but with different camera framing. And if you are able to enjoy the performances of the cinematics on both play-throughs without feeling any unnatural changes then we can confidently say that our experiment with this was a success.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/03/29/ninjas_and_lummoxes_both_given_proper_screen_time_in_dragons_dogma

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Man.

Man.

My exploration itch has a need to be scratched.

And this game just keeps impressing me more and more.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Without watching any videos. Someone told me I can climb on monsters and hack away at their ears.

This is enough.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Without watching any videos. Someone told me I can climb on monsters and hack away at their ears.

This is enough.

No more ankle/shin whackin for us!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

This is enough.

No more ankle/shin whackin for us!

I just lunge at the nuts with my spear.
    I will also do that in this game BUH DUMP PISH

EVOL wrote: »
    However there really haven’t been any games that let you have complete control over the height and frame of your character and had that reflect back in the story of the game. (You are able to choose from three pre-set heights in Dragon Age.) One of the reasons for this, I think, has to do with the presence of cinematics that advance the story. Well then – what’s so hard about cinematics?

Some of the characteristics of cinematics include displaying complex behaviors that can’t be done in game such as characters embracing or holding certain objects and the ability to clearly convey emotion or intent. But the biggest characteristic of cinematics is camera framing. Although it may seem completely obvious, there’s no such thing as a cinematic that doesn’t use camera framing. When considering framing the most important thing to think about is how the subject will show up in the final piece. However when your subject’s height and frame can be changed from the ability to customize them you can’t really lock down your framing. So, for instance, if you locked down the framing for a shot taken from the bust up of the hero and heroine facing each other, increasing the height of the hero by 30cm would lead to his head being cut out of frame.

So I’m sure you can deduce from the preceding explanation that customizable character sizes and cinematics do not go well together at all. I racked my brain over this problem more than any other at the beginning of development. After much trial and error, I finally arrived at my solution – implementing a function that would automatically compensate the camera and motion based on the size of the character and would immediately reflect that result into a real-time rendered cinematic.

This automatic compensation function is incredibly smart, so to return to the previous example wherein the hero and heroine were facing each other, even if the hero or heroine’s height were to be varied, the system will automatically adjust the framing so that both of the characters’ faces are shown in frame. Furthermore, using motion compensation, even if the characters bend their necks at a different angle then they’ll still be looking at each other’s faces. And even if the hero places his hand on the heroine’s shoulder this function will compensate for the size of the character to ensure the hand stops at the proper coordinate. Using this we were able to solve many of the problems associated with the in-game cinematics. However this wasn’t an end-all-be-all cure to all of our problems. For instance – the difference in strides a character takes from their variations in height. The key to solving the rest of the problems we faced was manipulation of something that is all-important to us designers – the camera angle. In other words, we were careful to show only what we wanted people to see, while not showing what we didn’t.

The result was being able to achieve incredibly natural camera framing of performances by customized characters utilizing our automatic compensation function and camera angles unique to Dragon’s Dogma. When you play the game for the first time you will probably watch the real-time rendered cinematics without even noticing. But after beating the game please go through for a second run. At that point you’ll notice that, even with a completely different sized character, you will be able to enjoy cinematics that will flow naturally but with different camera framing. And if you are able to enjoy the performances of the cinematics on both play-throughs without feeling any unnatural changes then we can confidently say that our experiment with this was a success.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/03/29/ninjas_and_lummoxes_both_given_proper_screen_time_in_dragons_dogma

I love that fact that there are people on this team who

a) Thought of this issue at all, and

b) Reached a solution for doing it right that sounds pretty reasonable and rational, like the sort of thing that cinematics should always have had in the first place.

I'm very happy for Capcom right now, which, if I'm being honest, actually just means I'm very happy for me.

Oh, has anyone seen the character creator yet? Can I make a fat, old woman?

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Why must this game be so far away. Why.

steam_sig.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I'm stoked but I'm cautious because it's Capcom, so at the very least we're going to see one of the following OR something entirely equally stupid we haven't even dreamt of yet:

A. 1 save file only
    B. Day 1 DLC that's on the disc
    C. Some bizarre unchangeable control scheme.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised to see one save file per profile.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

This is my only concern. The game looks awesome, but its still a Japanese game. There's a chance that there could be a convoluted game mechanic or control scheme that is poop from butt.

Fingers crossed though!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I dunno. That video narrator hasn't really made mention of any of these.

Are there really games that still restrict you to a single profile save slot? I...didn't think that was being done anymore...

DLC, well, eh. I mean...sure?
    I'm stoked but I'm cautious because it's Capcom, so at the very least we're going to see one of the following OR something entirely equally stupid we haven't even dreamt of yet:

A. 1 save file only
    B. Day 1 DLC that's on the disc

I dunno. That video narrator hasn't really made mention of any of these.

A. Are there really games that still restrict you to a single profile save slot? I...didn't think that was being done anymore...

B. DLC, well, eh. I mean...sure? This game looks pretty big with lots of stuff to do. I'd be hard pressed to care about having to buy extra stuff based on what's already there, unless there's like some massive, walled city in the game you can't go into for this reason.

C. Narrator dude seems pretty good with the controls, or at least hasn't made mention of them yet. But given the robust features in the class systems, job systems, augments, and the pawn system...I'm gonna have to say that this game might do some kind of...maybe control variants, but it seems pretty solid.

Dragon's Dogma is looking stacked.

Ok then, how about:

D. First game where the ending is paid DLC (besides Mass Effect 3)

E. Gold/Plus subscription required to be a Ranger (SIlver for other classes)

F. Only download Pawns from Friends

edited March 2012
    The controls are shown onscreen at all times, Assassin's Creed style. Bottom right corner of the screen. Seem completely fine, insofar as what's been shown. The only thing that's been mentioned that wouldn't be immediately apparent is that you have six assignable active abilities that are accessed by LB + face button and RB + face button, just like Dungeon Siege 3. Again, seems completely fine.

Monger on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Ooh! I like this game.

G. Game automatically steals your credit card info and sells it to Nigerian hackers.

H. Your wife has been cheating on you. With the game devs. There are naked pictures of her in the game!

I. The game development studio was built on an old Indian burial ground. By putting the disc in your system you welcome an angry poltergeist into your house for a year and a day.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    J: Eats your children or

K: Unless DLC is purchased, only eats your children you like.

K. would be a game changer for me, I definitely have kids I don't like

Man, I'd pay 1600 MS funbucks day one if it extended to kids around the neighborhood I didn't like. Little rapscallions won't get off my lawn...

Also, I'm crazy and have watched the Capcom hour+ streams, which confirmed a demo coming out, and showed that there're five-odd control schemes to choose from.

edited March 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh, has anyone seen the character creator yet? Can I make a fat, old woman?

YES WE CAN

1Q8Xg.png

Or, alternatively, you can play as a handsome hunk such as this one

JSDTR.jpg?1

EVOL on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok then, how about:

D. First game where the ending is paid DLC (besides Mass Effect 3)

E. Gold/Plus subscription required to be a Ranger (SIlver for other classes)

F. Only download Pawns from Friends

Asura's Wrath (another Capcom game) already beat both of them to the punch.

http://videogamewriters.com/asuras-wrath-dlc-to-include-true-ending-street-fighter-crossover-battles-42971
    The next piece of DLC will undoubtedly be a little more controversial: it consists of four episodes, titled “Part IV: Nirvana,” and is being touted by Capcom as the “true” ending to Asura’s Wrath

Lilnoobs on
This discussion has been closed.