As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Problem Ripping Some CDs

TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This is a problem I've encountered when ripping a few CDs to my computer. 99% of the time, this doesn't happen; only with a handful of albums. The latest being the new Foo Fighters album.

The album rips 'successfully' to my computer, with all of the tracks appearing where they should, with all the correct information and such. In each case, the first track will play fine, but starting with the second file, each track seems to start at a random point in either that song, or another song on the album. When I say random, I mean that, while it starts at the same point each time I play the file, that point is part way through either that song, or another song.

I've tried deleting the files and re-ripping. I've ripped with different settings. I've used different software. Each time, the exact same problems occur.
Again, 99% of albums rip without any problems; it's just a select few that are doing this.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? If so, what's going on here?

I'm running Vista, for reference.

TubularLuggage on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know what you've tried so far, but the program I use is Exact Audio Copy. It's the best program I've ever used, but it does take a little work to get it set up. It might not be for you depending on what sort of quality you're looking for. EAC is best used to rip high quality, large size music files from the cd in the form of a FLAC file, which you can then convert into whatever quality mp3 file you desire. It's pretty easy to use once you get it properly set up.

If you're interested, here is a handy set up guide.

Edit: The reason for ripping FLAC files is that it makes it much easier to convert your music into various qualities or file types (mp3, ogg, etc) depending on what type of portable media player you're using now or in the future.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Thanks. I'll give that a try.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sorry I couldn't offer more help with the problem you were having. I've never really heard of an issue like that before. It's possible there's an issue with your cd/dvd drive.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Crashtard wrote: »

Sorry I couldn't offer more help with the problem you were having. I've never really heard of an issue like that before. It's possible there's an issue with your cd/dvd drive.

I doubt it's the drive, since I've ripped other CDs after experiencing this problem without incident. It's probably some weird copy protection thing.

Your recommendation was very helpful. The program installed quickly, it ripped the CD more quickly than other programs I've used, and more importantly, the files all seem to be working properly. Thanks again!

TubularLuggage on