As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HeyU! WhoMii? YesU, WillU WiiU?

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Depends. Which version has him left-handed?

The Gamecube version, of course.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    If they end up doing the same as Twilight Princess before it, I don't see many people getting annoyed over it.

Yeah. Either a dual release for both systems, or, possibly, re-release on the new console with New Stuff and improved graphics. Skyward Sword was supposed to be all but ready for this year, after all. End of 2012 is kind of a long way away. I know Nintendo will always do whatever they want, but something in me questions them delaying something that damn far.

To use a recent example, the newest Pokemon games, Black and White, were released in March. The 3DS launched in the same window. The recent NPDs are showing the DS outselling the 3DS -- a cheaper system, a larger installed base, a bigger frame of time to sell units -- with Pokemon selling 1.3 and 1.1 million respectively.

Was it smarter to leave it on the DS to reach as many people as possible instead of shifting it over to the 3DS, where sales could've been shaky?

So from a financial standpoint, what's the more profitable option: Wii-exclusive, new console, or pull another Twilight Princess and have it for both systems?

(for the record, I actually bought both versions of TP. I'm probably the worst guy to answer this)

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love Nintendo as much as anyone, but their next console is gonna be a really hard pill to swallow unless they get their heads out of their asses about online functionality and digital distro.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    mp122984mp122984 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html
    A report from CVG states the new Nintendo console will use an all-new controller - not an updated Wii controller - with sources saying it will have a built-in screen. Additional sources informed IGN the screen has touch capability.
    Sounds like the controller screen is a real thing.

At this point I'm hoping it turns out that the 3ds is the new controller, but I guess that doesn't count as all new. :?

mp122984 on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm as eager as anybody to have the Wii unceremoniously shoved out the door. Shit has been a disaster in my eyes, no matter how well Nintendo made out. Still, I'm not going to let the rumors excited me. We can dream up all kinds of crazy cool uses for an HD touch screen controller but history shows that Nintendo won't even scratch the surface of that awesome potential. Miyamoto probably used an iPad and thought "This would be perfect for a dress making simulator" cause he recently took up sewing. E3 rolls around, we're all baffled, Nintendo sells a shitload to grandmas and Ubisoft starts a whole line of Stitchingz shovelware.

sewingq.jpg

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spectral Swallow, I bow to you good sir.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks like Nintendo needs to/is going to relearn what happens when you try to compete on a power basis with competitors that will lose money indefinitely if they have to.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love Nintendo as much as anyone, but their next console is gonna be a really hard pill to swallow unless they get their heads out of their asses about online functionality and digital distro.

High five.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's not totally unreasonable to speculate that Nintendo will push for horsepower next time. They haven't always opted for a technologically inferior system. I think they recognize the fact that the notion of "lower specs = lower dev costs" didn't work out so well in the end. They might have sold a lot of Wiis, but it was mostly to people who are easily lured away by 99 cent iPhone games. It sure didn't keep the good devs around. Unless they win back the enthusiast gamers, who do they expect to sell systems to next time?

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe they'll actually support real surround sound this time!

Seriously, the Wii not having 5.1 was/is total bullshit.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please don't let this thing have fucking waggle...at least not mandatory

Obviously it'll need to use a Wiimote to do back-compatibility the same way a Wii has ports for GC controllers

EDIT: Fuck, I just caught up on the thread and saw about the touch-screen controller

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please don't let this thing have fucking waggle...at least not mandatory

Obviously it'll need to use a Wiimote to do back-compatibility the same way a Wii has ports for GC controllers

Supposedly has a normal controller with an LCD screen built in.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A screen on the controller just reminds me of the Dreamcast, which, I mean, I can't think of a system I hate more

But as long as it's not required in a lot of games...I'm good with it I guess.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would give a 99% chance of it at least having the capabilities of the wiimotion plus, and I think anyone who thinks otherwise is probably crazy. Motion controls aren't going anywhere, or have people forgotten about Move and Kinect?

If anything, I would think any next gen console not having at least kinect comparable functionality is making a big mistake.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So what's the over/under on this console actually having more than 512 MB of RAM?

gtrmp on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's not totally unreasonable to speculate that Nintendo will push for horsepower next time. They haven't always opted for a technologically inferior system. I think they recognize the fact that the notion of "lower specs = lower dev costs" didn't work out so well in the end. They might have sold a lot of Wiis, but it was mostly to people who are easily lured away by 99 cent iPhone games. It sure didn't keep the good devs around. Unless they win back the enthusiast gamers, who do they expect to sell systems to next time?

Your nonsensical ramblings amuse me no end. Just because it didn't entertain you doesn't stop the Wii from having been a massive commercial success.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Your nonsensical ramblings amuse me no end. Just because it didn't entertain you doesn't stop the Wii from having been a massive commercial success.

If I've provided some entertainment then I've at least succeeded at something.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yeah, your Matt Casamassina impersonation is really coming along.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright, I'm gonna give you a list of reasons why I am (understatement of the century!) less than pleased with what these rumors are saying.

* One of the biggest problems facing the games industry is the escalation of development costs (and therefore the risks of developing), which has already caused many a developer to go under and make those that survive more risk-averse. Even before the Wii was announced, I've felt that the best solution to this problem was to decrease the gaps in technology between generations while at the same time extending the life of those generations for as long as possible. With the Wii I felt Nintendo understood the problem and was the industry's best hope of getting out of the crisis. If these rumors are true, that was just a fluke and the crisis is only gonna get worse.

* It's just not right that the most successful of the current consoles is not the last one to be replaced.

* I don't like the vast majority of games that the so-called hardcore gamer likes, so if this machine's trying to woo them, chances are slim to none that I'll like it.

* The Wiimote converted me to motion controls and there's no way in hell I'm going back to traditional controllers even if backwards compatibility means I'll still be able to use the Wiimote.

* Maybe it's my wonky eyes, but HD just doesn't work for me on a TV screen. Heck, I literally can't watch it for more than a few minutes before my eyes start watering. To me, HD is nothing less than a step backwards, and if I'm not impressed now, I'm never gonna be.

Anyway, that's why I can't see myself buying a Wii2 and will stick with my Wii. Sony and Microsoft have already disqualified themselves for me ages ago, so I guess the future's handheld/PC only. It's been fun but its time to go.

Though, for what it's worth, there's no console I'd rather spend the rest of my (gaming) life with than a Wii.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Yeah, your Matt Casamassina impersonation is really coming along.

Perhaps in writing but never in production values. I can't achieve such horrendous hair.

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really hope at least one of the next gen consoles places a HEAVY emphasis on head tracking (like that dudes wii demo). When I saw that a couple years ago I completely believed THAT was the future of video games. I mean even just watching on the computer, it looked 3d.
    As for Nintendo's new console, I could see the screen on the controller being useful for 'party' games where you need to hide your selection from someone using the same TV, but otherwise I'm fairly burned out on the gimmicky controllers.

Edit for video, on the offchance nobody has seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I remember seeing that video a while back, its still god damned impressive. However the draw back to this is twofold. Using technology in the same way limits it to one user experiencing the effect at a time, so it wouldn't work in say, split screen games. Also after hyping up the glasses-free experience of the 3DS, having users have some sort of infrared light on their head in some fashion would seem a step back and a gimmick to most people.(I for one wouldn't mind because the results look awesome).

As for the first problem, with the tech used in that video I don't see a way to fix it. The latter, one could put infrared lights attached to say a headset for voice chat and have headtracking at least while playing online games? It would seem a little less gimmicky being dual-purpose. I'd use it, I don't know if developers would though.

However, and I don't know if this would work, but the Xbox Kinect can track multiple people right? A similar technology built into the sensor bar(Which some sort of sensor bar would be required for BC Wii games anyways) would allow for headtracking multiple users for split-screen games. Your characters view would at least change based on your perspective, separate from other players views. 4 player games might be awkward getting everyone a good view of the screen while in sight of the sensor bar though. I don't know, I don't really know how the tech all works, I'm just brainstorming out of my ass right now. But its a thought.

But really, headtracking is impressive stuff and I really hope to see someone utilize it in a AAA retail game at some point, somewhere.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright, I'm gonna give you a list of reasons why I am (understatement of the century!) less than pleased with what these rumors are saying.

* One of the biggest problems facing the games industry is the escalation of development costs (and therefore the risks of developing), which has already caused many a developer to go under and make those that survive more risk-averse. Even before the Wii was announced, I've felt that the best solution to this problem was to decrease the gaps in technology between generations while at the same time extending the life of those generations for as long as possible. With the Wii I felt Nintendo understood the problem and was the industry's best hope of getting out of the crisis. If these rumors are true, that was just a fluke and the crisis is only gonna get worse.

* It's just not right that the most successful of the current consoles is not the last one to be replaced.

* I don't like the vast majority of games that the so-called hardcore gamer likes, so if this machine's trying to woo them, chances are slim to none that I'll like it.

* The Wiimote converted me to motion controls and there's no way in hell I'm going back to traditional controllers even if backwards compatibility means I'll still be able to use the Wiimote.

* Maybe it's my wonky eyes, but HD just doesn't work for me on a TV screen. Heck, I literally can't watch it for more than a few minutes before my eyes start watering. To me, HD is nothing less than a step backwards, and if I'm not impressed now, I'm never gonna be.

Anyway, that's why I can't see myself buying a Wii2 and will stick with my Wii. Sony and Microsoft have already disqualified themselves for me ages ago, so I guess the future's handheld/PC only. It's been fun but its time to go.

Though, for what it's worth, there's no console I'd rather spend the rest of my (gaming) life with than a Wii.

Wow you're actually worried Nintendo is going to start catering to the hardcore crowd?

They know where their money comes from, this post is almost preposterous given N's current business model. Just because a game is HD doesn't mean it has to cost a billion dollars to make, PC games have been HD since forever.

override367 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Again, I must express my inner pendant in people using "high definition" to mean all sorts of hoo-hah when all it refers to are some standard resolutions. Woo, my games aren't running in 640x480 anymore, woo...

Zxerol on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know, with everything being called High Definition these days, what ARE they going to call it when they start making TVs and consoles that do higher than 1920x1080?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Higher Definition.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Super High definition? The tv needs to have long spikey blonde hair to function correctly.

Also Vangu I've never heard of anyone who's eyes have watered using HD. What do you use as a monitor? And at what resolution?

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    dc.jpg

...just saying. >.>

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The dreamcast was one of the most revolutionary and ahead of its time pieces of hardware, ever.

Just, you know, sayin.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So, I know people aren't exactly 'keen' on this yet, but as a 3DTV owner I'm quite excited to see if (given the 3DS) the new console has 3D support for every game. I'd love it if (and this is not really likely) the specs were high enough to allow:

- All games at 1080p with a minimum frame-rate of 30fps.
    - All games with 3D support (at 720p or lower) with a minimum of 30fps.

Also:

- No friends codes.
    - Better Digitial Distribution Service.
    - A free pair of socks with every game.

How about media? What are people thinking it'll use? I wouldn't be too surprised if they went back to a sort of cartridge format. I mean SD cards are cheap enough now (especially in comparison to blu-ray mastering, there's not a massive difference). Faster loading times, variable size cards, experience with the DS and 3DS.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really hope at least one of the next gen consoles places a HEAVY emphasis on head tracking (like that dudes wii demo). When I saw that a couple years ago I completely believed THAT was the future of video games. I mean even just watching on the computer, it looked 3d.

Head tracking is nothing but a dumb gimmick. It relies on the idea that you're moving your head around, which is the last thing you want to be doing when playing video games on any system. I mean if a game uses it, you'll literally be bobbing your head around like a goose just to see it.

I see someone hasn't bought a 3DS, which completely resolved the friend code issue, has a perfect connection quality with all the WPA options anyone would need, has the storage space to put DLC to good use, and already has a game that automatically downloads free DLC content.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The dreamcast was one of the most revolutionary and ahead of its time pieces of hardware, ever.

Just, you know, sayin.

Oh agreed.

But Nintendo is always coming up with new things.

The VMU isn't a new thing.

What with it having a name already.

BUT, the fact that you assumed I meant it was a failure / stupid idea speaks volumes, imo. >:3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    So, I know people aren't exactly 'keen' on this yet, but as a 3DTV owner I'm quite excited to see if (given the 3DS) the new console has 3D support for every game.

Nope. Last June Iwata said that there'd need to be a 30% 3DTV adoption rate before they'd support it. Then at the end of last month we got this:

Nintendo's back in the 3D space in a big way, with the 3DS, but this time out, there's a major difference--no glasses. "I think at Nintendo, we realize that any sort of goggle-type 3D technology was not going to work," Nintendo lead developer Hideki Konno told CNN. "In order to make 3D technology viable with video games, we thought we needed to have glasses-free 3D."

Glasses-free seems to mean, at least with current technologies, that the company won't be bringing 3D to the home console space at any time in the foreseeable future, in spite of its new found love affair with the technology. Says Nintendo of America president, Reggie Fils-Aime "Glasses-free is a big deal. We've not said publicly what the next thing for us will be in the home console space, but based on what we've learned on 3-D, likely, that won't be it."

Of course it's possible that the controller will have a 3D screen... :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I know people aren't exactly 'keen' on this yet, but as a 3DTV owner I'm quite excited to see if (given the 3DS) the new console has 3D support for every game. I'd love it if (and this is not really likely) the specs were high enough to allow:

- All games at 1080p with a minimum frame-rate of 30fps.
    - All games with 3D support (at 720p or lower) with a minimum of 30fps.

Also:

- No friends codes.
    - Better Digitial Distribution Service.
    - A free pair of socks with every game.

How about media? What are people thinking it'll use? I wouldn't be too surprised if they went back to a sort of cartridge format. I mean SD cards are cheap enough now (especially in comparison to blu-ray mastering, there's not a massive difference). Faster loading times, variable size cards, experience with the DS and 3DS.

I believe I read, not but a few days or so ago, that Nintendo has no plans to make their next console system 3D unless the TVs can do it glasses free.

Edit: Beaten by UncleSporky, with quotes no less! And more than ten minutes before me, too! D'oh.

To be honest, I'd rather do away with 3D and motion controls altogether. It's not that I'm a traditionalist stuck in the past, and some games use those technologies very well, but in general they've frustrated me more than help make the experience better. I hope motion controls aren't going to be a big, standard feature for Nintendo's new system, but I'm guessing that may be unlikely, especially since it will have backward compatibility with the Wii.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Just, you know, sayin.

Oh agreed.

But Nintendo is always coming up with new things.

The VMU isn't a new thing.

What with it having a name already.

BUT, the fact that you assumed I meant it was a failure / stupid idea speaks volumes, imo. >:3

...I didnt say a single thing about failures or anything. I simply pointed out it was one of the most revolutionary consoles ever.

I think you need to stop projecting.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, it's down to the tv to do it glasses-less, so there'd be no harm in adding support :) I'm a hopeless 3D addict, I'll admit.

I'm imagining motion controls won't be a big part of the console, not from what's been described up to now. The Wii controllers can't be used for the Gamecube, yet that's still backwards compatible. If nothing it'd be even easier, for backwards compatibility with the gamecube they needed to add the physical ports on the side. Here they just use bluetooth, which they'll likely use for the new controller anyway (would bluetooth be fast enough to stream HD content to the screen?).

So the new controller likely won't be anything like the Wii one.

::edit:: The more I think about it, the more it seems Nintendo have sort of done what Microsoft and Sony are doing, just five years earlier. The 360 and PS3 have a ten year cycle, 5 years in we're used to a new console so they extended theirs with motion add-ons.

That's sort of what Nintendo did with the Gamecube, albeit with a slight upgrade and re-branding. They just extended the cycle time by adding motion controls.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's it! The next Nintendo console will project 3D into your living room! But the only game it will have will be a loop of Leia asking Ben for help.

Edit: Urgh. Thread moves to fast. This may appear bemusing out of context.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, it's down to the tv to do it glasses-less, so there'd be no harm in adding support :) I'm a hopeless 3D addict, I'll admit.

I really want to like 3D, but until it stops giving me a headache and in numerous applications lessening image quality and brightness, I'd rather just avoid it. Robert Epert had some great articles on the technology, and even posted an e-mail from a Walter Murch discussing it (http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/01/post_4.html). And that's a lot of time and money the company could spend elsewhere on their products instead of making objects whiz toward or from your face.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's always a chance the controller is just a screen. Imagine a wiimote where the top is a screen. Virtual buttons can replicate the d pad and such for backward comparability, same wiimote shape, same back triggers, same nunchuk addons, but for new games the screen displays game specific information. Hell the wii is so popular with non traditional demographics because of the lack of confusing control schemes. I imagine it would e easier to teach granny video games if the buttons literally says jump or shoot rather than x or square.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ooooh, exciting months ahead of us then. I haven't bought a Wii or any home console this generation. Played Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero. That's about it. Frankly I can do without the whole motion control shebang. These rumors however , if true, open up so many possibilities. HD online-capable F-Zero! New Smash Bros.! A proper Pokemon console game! On top of the current HD ports from 3rd parties.

Knowing Nintendo though, the online functionality is going to be balls. Or the hardware will lack in some places. How expensive are HDD nowadays? Can't imagine Nintendo adding one over external SD cards.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Or the hardware will lack in some places.

What hardware doesn't?

MrMiscreant on
    LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec