As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Awful Stomachache

TerrendosTerrendos Decorative MonocleRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Not really a lot to say here but to list my symptoms. I've got a really bad stomachache for several hours now, Pepto Bismol didn't help. It's the kind of ache that feels like I need to throw up or I'm really gassy, but I'm not nauseous and I haven't gotten relief from passing gas. When I lie very still it fades a bit, but it never goes away.

It feels a lot like pain I had a couple of weeks ago, same symptoms. It went away, but it took several days and I just generally felt pretty awful.

Here's the problem: my sister's wedding is Saturday, and the rehearsal dinner is tomorrow night. Basically my schedule and my family's is super packed, and this is about the worst possible time for me to be feeling sick. I also would rather not still feel sick for my sister's wedding.

I guess if I'm still feeling sick tomorrow I should screw it and go to the doctor anyway. But I really don't want to seem like I'm trying to draw attention from my sister's big day.

Another thing: I had some blue cheese tonight right before I started feeling sick, as in ~5 minutes or so. Could it have affected me that quickly? I don't recall if I had any the last time I felt like this, but it's possible.

I know other people in my family have IBS; could it be that?

Terrendos on

• GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't remember the exact location of pain to check, but you might want to check if the pain localizes to where your appendix would be, because that would be a possibility (and not something to screw around with if the pain is bad)

Gdiguy on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It could be a lot of things. IBS is not out of the picture, many people have it to different degrees. The first thing I would try is roll around on the floor. Yeah, it sounds stupid but if you slowly roll around on the floor it can help move gas around and out.

If that does not help, it might pay to see if there are any small 30-min clinics in the area. It sounds like you are pretty busy and might not be able to get in to see a doctor right away.

Noxy on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It depends where you're experiencing the pain, but since you mention your stomach I automatically assume that you feel ill because of indigestion or some type of food illness or allergic reaction.

I've had food poisoning twice and it feels terrible. It makes you want to throw up and shit yourself at the same time.

On the other hand, it could just be gas. Let it out!

One year, I drank a shit load of that sparkling apple cider and it gave me the worst stomach craps I have ever experienced. As soon as I started polluting the air, I immediately began to feel better.

Slider on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    I don't remember the exact location of pain to check, but you might want to check if the pain localizes to where your appendix would be, because that would be a possibility (and not something to screw around with if the pain is bad)

The appendix is on your right side. A good way to do a preliminary test at home is to stand on your tip-toes and drop onto your heels. If you feel a sharp pain low on your abdomen on your right side, definitely get that checked out.

Noxy on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alright, if had cheese, you could be mildly lactose intolerant or some IBS. Pain and gas are not uncommon for those situations. It can be very uncomfortable at times. Sometimes this will be relieved by passing gas eventually, it might just work itself out. Other times, It will lead to a fairly brief encounter with diarrhea and then the symptoms will get better.

Now, if you are concerned about appendicitis, which can be a valid concern, but seeing as you are not yet vomiting, I'm not as worried about it, there are ways to possibly rule it out (nothing can be ruled out along these lines without going to the doctor).

Is the pain in your stomach localized to the lower right side of your abdomen? Or is it more spread out? If it is localized, lay on the ground and have a family member press on the lower right quadrant. If the pressing down does not cause pain, but the release of the pressure causes you extreme discomfort resulting in tears and/or screaming like a little girl, then get thee to an ER.

This does not mean that it is appendicitis, it could simply be IBS or even constipation. However, lower right quadrant pain is worrying and should be examined.

In all likelihood you're having a reaction to something that you ate, perhaps the cheese, and it will pass after a while. However, if your symptoms persist, or worsen, then get thee to a Doctor or an ER. By worsen I include increasing pain, vomiting, fever, and other symptoms that might point to something slightly worse than just upset tummy.

Hope this helps, hope you feel better. And congrats on the sister wedding things

lonelyahava on
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Appendicitis pain typically begins around your belly button and moves right. If you have this type of pain and fever you should seek medical help immediately.

Otherwise, it could be a lot of different things. You might try some tums or other anti-acid if the pain is in the upper abdomen.

Also try going to a BRAT+TY diet tomorrow.

Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, + Tea and Yogurt.

November Fifth on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    BRATT is a great diet to do for stomach issues. Don't add too much sugar to your tea. Also, if it's potentially dairy related, stay away from the Yogurt.

those are cramps that will murder you.

lonelyahava on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure it's not appendicitis because it's not localized and it's not a sharp pain, it's dull and all over.

Tomorrow I was planning on working half a day, but if I'm still feeling bad I think I'll just call in sick instead and go to a Patient First or something.

Terrendos on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A pain on your lower abdomen could also be a bladder infection. Just FYI.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This also sounds a LOT like what I had last year (and still have, technically). I basically had an ulcer.

Have you been drinking a lot of soda or acidic/citrus drinks? Or eating/drinking anything with a lot of acid in it? Diet Soda especially.

When I had it, it would hit me around 2am and wake me out of a sound sleep. (hours after drinking the problem beverage) It was all the soda I drank over the years eating away at the lining to my stomach. Mine was in my upper stomach so it was worse when I would lay down.

Pepto helped mine, but if it's not working for you, then you may just have to ride it out. (maybe the location makes it hard to coat and protect?)

Recommendation: Stop eating/drinking anything acidic at all. Water, milk, or iced tea if it's not super strong should be fine. No soda, lemonade, tomato sauce, etc... Then go get some Prilosec or the generic version, Omeprazole. It will reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces for a few weeks while you take it, giving it time to heal.

If you do have the same problem, it should be a lot better after that. Try to avoid stress as well, that doesn't help.

And do not take aspirin/ibuprofen for the pain. It will just make things worse.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seconded MuddBudd.
    I can't take aspirin/ibuprofen because of damage to my tummy from taking Mefanamic Acid for arthritis, but I can't eat blue cheese any more, nor drink caffeinated coffee. Both give me a burning pain all over my tummy, I feel sick but aren't. Eating lots of plain yoghurt helps if I have caffeine by mistake.
    I now take Lansoprazole every morning an hour before I eat so that I can take the rest of the meds I need to get me through the day.
    Hope you feel better soon, and grats on your sister's wedding.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited April 2011
    hmmm. i misread it as discomfort and not necessarily as acidic pain. which to me is just acid and I got so damned used to it that I hardly ever knew what not having the pain felt like.

omeprazole is of the gods. I take a pill of OTC omeprazole every day. If I don't, I will literally be in tears by days end due to heartburn and acid in my stomach.

good luck dude

lonelyahava on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please go to a doctor. Your sister will understand. My husband and I just went through a bout of gastroenteritis. We didn't go to the doc because we knew that's what it was, and it cleared itself out in a couple of days. What you have sounds like the pain we were in, but no relief (at least we were able to vomit). That kind of thing isn't really something you want to just power through, and genuinely sounds fucking horrible. Go to a doc.

Killgrimage on
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please go to a doctor. Your sister will understand. My husband and I just went through a bout of gastroenteritis. We didn't go to the doc because we knew that's what it was, and it cleared itself out in a couple of days. What you have sounds like the pain we were in, but no relief (at least we were able to vomit). That kind of thing isn't really something you want to just power through, and genuinely sounds fucking horrible. Go to a doc.

Actually, my fiancé and I also just went through the same thing recently. It was pretty horrible, and we're still having some stomach trouble after that. BUT, Terrendos, you said this happened a few weeks ago, just as bad, as well? It's not THAT likely you got the stomach flu twice in a row. I would also recommend seeing a doctor if I were you. If it keeps up, you're not gonna handle the wedding too well anyway. At least if you've gone to a doctor, you can tell your sister what happened if you end up missing the wedding, and if it's something REALLY bad (or even 'just' an ulcer, which is made worse by stress like... going to a wedding) you'll have caught it way earlier than if you tried to wait it out.

Essee on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stomachache seems to be gone this morning, so hopefully it was just a false alarm. I'll lay off the acidic foods for a while and see if that helps. Also I forgot that the IBS in my family wasn't really IBS, it was a misdiagnosis for a milk protein allergy. I'll be keeping that in mind too.

Regardless, I'll probably take a trip to the doctor soon, when things calm down a bit. Thanks for all the advice.

Terrendos on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I got a really strong stomach pain once, horrible horrible pain. I went to the Emergency Room and the doctor told me it was just gas. He gave me an enema and the pain flushed away, along with other things from my bowels.

All these things took place in front of my then girlfriend, now wife, for an added dose of humiliation.

MagicToaster on
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It sounds like Gall stones to me.

It can be aggravated by eating fatty foods, where you will expel bile from your gall bladder to digest the fats. In doing so, you may have expelled a gall stone which was making its way through your biliary tree and can be very painful.

Since you mentioned that it happened a couple weeks ago, it also makes me think this is the cause. The Gall bladder attacks tend to come on periodically, and get worse over time. They are most pronounced at night, and can result in hours of discomfort.

A dull, but significant pain in the abdomen that feels like gas, but won't go away no matter what you do and lasts for hours is exactly the symptoms I had a year and a half ago.

Check out this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholecystitis

Some people have a problem and will have no problems for a long time, others it gets worse and worse over time.

In the short run, i would avoid fatty foods till after your sisters wedding to get you through.

Thundyrkatz on