As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] - Jets spotted (new trailer in the op)

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Given how useless they were in BF2, I'm not too concerned with them in BF3. With how open Battlefield maps are, you'd need minefields to get much benefit out of them typically.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    101 wrote:
    Are they a recon only thing?

As long as they're not everywhere I'm not bothered too much.

They're on the Support class. I'll have to grind the shit out of it to get there, but I'll let you guys know.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Support is sounding better and better. If I wasn't already planning to play only support ever I would be now.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So Support get C4, claymores, bipod, suppressing fire, and ammo boxes.

...what's left for Recon?

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The only problem with Support is that if you aren't really, really careful about knowing what's on your left and right, you're done. Also, since the SAW has only one fire mode (FULL AUTO BIG AMMMMMMMOOOOOOOO), it is difficult to engage targets at long range as effectively as they can engage you. It's strictly a medium-range ordeal. The 45 round LMGs lack the anchoring power that the SAW possesses, but they do gain versatility in their attachments, allowing for a more mobile version of the role. They also have semi-automatic firing modes.

Recons have no gadgets in the Alpha. I'm not sure if they'll have mortars or something similar to the BC2 kit in the Beta or retail versions. As of right now, the roles recons have are spotting and medium-range sharpshooting.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Scopes?

The most useful tool recons had in BC2 were motion mines. I'd like tosee those return. Playing a close range recon and tossing those things in the general direction of the enemy was great fun.

And of course, mortar strikes are always deadly.

Anyone know if either of those are in BF3?

reVerse on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Suriko wrote:
    So Support get C4, claymores, bipod, suppressing fire, and ammo boxes.

...what's left for Recon?

Was wondering that myself. If they practically only get their rifles and a sidearm I can't imagine anyone will ever play the class, so there has to be more.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Recons are pretty much useless. Fun, but useless. The majority of players play Assault. Engineers are only really present in the first stage due to the presence of the LAV, but the carbines that they utilize are powerful in the CQB present in the Metro section. Supports are relatively rare, almost as much so as Recons.

edit: Interestingly enough, the server browser shows almost every server with a player count of 40+ out of 32. This either means it's bugged, or that they have started testing 64 players. Which is going to be ridiculous on Metro.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Well, at least that gets rid of wookie teams

• Options
    There are also no ghillie suits.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Recons right now seem fairly useless, what with spotting being fuck all easy to spam and guns being able to pick off folks from a mile off anyways.

They really should tone down all weapons though, in my opinion. You should be able to take a couple of hits, like any previous BF game. In this one burst easily drops you cold. Between that and the suppression forget about actually rushing, offense is almost a joke when all the defenders have to do is sit back, go prone and pick you off.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Nah, I like where guns are. Spotting could definitely be toned down a bit.

I hated the feeling of impotence in BC2. You'd come up on a guy, put like five rounds into him, he'd turn around and shoot you in the face with a slug.

7200/123000 for Claymores! I'm sure they'll be exceedingly underwhelming.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Didn't they say spotting will be different in the full game? The version of it in the alpha is supposedly somewhat of a placeholder, or at least that's what I've read. And balance will no doubt be changed between now and release, taking into account all the new feedback.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Hopefully. I've got no beef with the spotting system, but it is a bit strong.

The game is balanced. Just more lethal.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It will probably change up heavily with balance tweaks out of alpha, so I'm not too concerned, but that was my biggest issue. In all previous BF's you could take a few good hits before dropping, making a good rush worthwhile. Firefights also played out fairly well. If you didn't hit the head or missed during your spray you knew it, and paid for it. Thus far in this if you are remotely mobile on the map your almost certain to get killed by a bullet from god knows where half a mile off, even while running full sprint through cover. It's why folks barely get past the initial stage, much less the next. It's impossible to get past the train with decent defenders who line up, go prone and just spam q and spray down the line because you drop so fast. I love playing defense right now, because assaulting is a pain in the ass.

Edit: Also add in the suppression and flashlight effects, which are awesome but make things that much more difficult in getting through a hail of fire.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    You're exaggerating. Defenders have an advantage, yes: that's basic warfare. But it's not quite as bad as you're making it out to be.

The problem is that BF is an extremely communication-reliant game, and without people using some type of voice chat, information just can't be relayed quickly enough. If you could tell your team "Okay guys, take out the two Supports with the M249s by using grenades and a few 40mms, then storm to the right and into the room for cover," and have it work, then it's fine. If you derp your way single-file into a hail of bullets and just use wave tactics to get into the enemy base, it isn't fine.

When we get our server and hop on whatever VoIP we'll be using, it'll be fucking cool as shit.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Can you communicate with your entire team this time, or is it still within your squad only?

• Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    I'm still curious- does anyone have an educated opinion on whether a Hackintosh could be built that would run this game comfortably?

I desperately need to upgrade my Mac (music production etc), but I'll be damned if I'm going to settle for BF3 on Xbox. If I could consolidate that into a gaming PC that can boot OSX on a separate drive, that would be baller.

While I dont know what parts you need, Id be surprised if you couldnt since the new Macs run on i7s.

Cheers, need all the advice I can get. Think I'll plan for a PC that can theoretically take that route down the track, but prioritise BF3 first.

Man, returning to mouse + keyboard is gonna be a harsh reality. BC2 on Xbox is the first multiplayer game I can honestly say I'm above average at... bottom of the scoreboards, here I come *sigh*.

• Options
    KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    I need to play more, but man this game is fun. Weekend, here I come!

sig9.gif
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    Wait, I thought BF3 isn't supporting dx9 cards, though some of you are running this on a 8800gt?
    So the alpha might not be the best indicator of required specs.

hopefully the people who like lethal guns can easily play hardcore mode, while people who like dumping clips can easily play softcore mode.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    You're exaggerating. Defenders have an advantage, yes: that's basic warfare. But it's not quite as bad as you're making it out to be.

The problem is that BF is an extremely communication-reliant game, and without people using some type of voice chat, information just can't be relayed quickly enough. If you could tell your team "Okay guys, take out the two Supports with the M249s by using grenades and a few 40mms, then storm to the right and into the room for cover," and have it work, then it's fine. If you derp your way single-file into a hail of bullets and just use wave tactics to get into the enemy base, it isn't fine.

When we get our server and hop on whatever VoIP we'll be using, it'll be fucking cool as shit.

Against two even teams with coordination I'd still say the offense doesn't stand a chance. Far too easy for folks to prone and cover each other while raining death down obvious routes. Against an uncoordinated defense? Sure, offense can win. It's just that the lethality is *so* high that you have zero chance to react when you turn a corner or get spotted by someone waiting for you. Your just dead, and your buddies are too if they were hot on your heels.

I've been doing BF since the start and this is the highest lethality I've seen, and it makes BC2 seem tame in comparison (Abotu even with hardcore!). I figure they will tweak it though, even if it's only small/moderate it will make a big difference.

Still will be awesome with VoIP, I'm just saying the mentality for how it currently plays is far different from previous BF's. It's why they took out prone and let you take some hits in the first place, less down time and more actual combat.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    rRootagea wrote:
    Wait, I thought BF3 isn't supporting dx9 cards, though some of you are running this on a 8800gt?
    So the alpha might not be the best indicator of required specs.

hopefully the people who like lethal guns can easily play hardcore mode, while people who like dumping clips can easily play softcore mode.

Running this in Win 7 64, so I assume they mean a DX 11 OS. IE you can't run it on Windows XP. Runs solid too!

That's a good comparison, it plays more like hardcore BC2.

Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    rRootagea wrote:

"Supporting X" and "X working" are two different things.

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    An 8800gt is a DX10 card.

Edit: Not saying its a *good* DX10 card, but it is one.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Heh, just remembered a story from when I was hanging out with some DICE friends.

They had just added the first version of the spotting system to BC2.

Now, they needed a "control group" to test some stuff on. So they set one guy to "always spotted".

Of course, they didn't tell him about it.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    HAHAHA!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    That's how science is made.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    theres a join as group button :D

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    Whats with the muzzle flares in the alpha? They look weird, is this just a video transfer thing or are they placeholders or something?

You can see the muzzle flash of LMGs and you can see light reflecting off a sniper's scope. You can also see if someone is pointing a laser sight at you in the form of a red flash on your screen.

Also, fuck DICE for always choosing the shittiest map they have to do testing on. I want my fucking main battle tank.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I....I actually saw the inside part of the map today.

TWO TIMES!

I...I think I might be dreaming!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    So Origin is having a $5 Battlefield sale. (BC2, BC2:Vietnam, BF2, BF2142)
    The games all work with Steam if you're that opposed to using Origin.

Highly tempted to get BC2, I've never played a Battlefield game outside the main "line"
    Basically if the title had Battlefield and was immediately followed by a year, I've played it.
    (With the exception of BF1943)
    If I got BC2 would anyone play with me? :3

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Unless they screw it up horribly I can't see myself touching BC2 again once we've got BF3. Already I'm having more fun with the alpha.

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Snowblind: Well we've got a thread for it. Can't say how often we play, though. I'm on every couple of days, or was until I got an alpha invite.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/136885/bad-company-2-cant-wait-for-bf3/p1

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    The sniper scope flash seems silly when you're underground and the sniper is 10 yards away from you.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    guys quick question, I just got an email from EA saying I was selected in the BF3 alpha. I mean, I never registered with them but do have an EA account and played the other BF games. Any of you got that email. Just wondeirng if it's legit. Sends to this address: http://em.ea.com/a/.... a bunch of letters.

domain name looks legit to me, just want to make sure if any of you guys got one as well?

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Guibs wrote:
    guys quick question, I just got an email from EA saying I was selected in the BF3 alpha. I mean, I never registered with them but do have an EA account and played the other BF games. Any of you got that email. Just wondeirng if it's legit. Sends to this address: http://em.ea.com/a/.... a bunch of letters.

domain name looks legit to me, just want to make sure if any of you guys got one as well?
    I too got the email, and it looks legit, but I haven't activated the code so I can't confirm either way.

My PC is kind of a dinosaur at this point and the Alpha ends August 1st. I would have to download the client, and I work nine hour shifts on both the 30th and the 31st. Its just not happening for me.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Guibs: If you never got the email, it could be in your spam folder or something, but that email basically means you got an invite, to my knowledge. I'd check the alpha site to see if you can get in while there are still a couple days left.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Yeah I got the e-mail too.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I just got an e-mail today and am downloading it now. It's definitely legit.

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    It's legit. You need to download origin to get it though. Sheesh.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
This discussion has been closed.