As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLEFIELD 3] - Jets spotted (new trailer in the op)

• JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    tofu wrote:
    tofu wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:
    tofu wrote:
    No, F and G are both quick knife and quick grenade. If you hold down F it draws your knife and it just stays out, but if you tap F it comes out, you swing it, and then it switches back to your gun

The high contrast graphics are really driving my bonkers so I did a quick photoshop: http://i.imgur.com/ScWUf.jpg

Do people honestly think the image on top looks better?

I uh... I can't see the difference :(

You might want to look into buying a new monitor ;-)

I've dragged it back and forth across my three monitors and they look pretty much the same to me as well. I can see slight differences but it's so slight I can't see how it could affect/bother anyone one way or the other.

It's just a quick photoshop of a screenshot, it is different but not to the extent I would actually want to see in the final game.

Look at the shadows on the boxes on the right side of the screen. They're pitch black in the top screenshot. It's like they were taking video of the moon or something and didn't add any sort of atmospheric diffusion to the light maps. This just in, shadows cast by the sun shouldn't be black holes of darkness.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I already put them side to side, and now I can see the difference.

However, it is very minimal, I don't know if it's my monitor, or your settings, but the high contrast setting doesn't have pitch black shadows for me.

I used this site to calibrate my display. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah I'm not.. I'm not seeing much of a difference. I mean maybe a little in the gloss on metals? But that seems negligible. Maybe my monitors are way different to yours or something

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    Shadows on the top are a bit darker but not pitch black.

• WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Literally almost no difference for me.

• Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    What is the best course of action if I want to:
    a) Not pay through the nose
    b) Not miss anything important (DLC/extra content wise)

I'm in the UK.

p8fnsZD.png
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    buy the limited edition preorder "battlefield: limited edition"

Over here (Sweden) it costs as much as the regular edition but you get the unique skins and the map pack

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    Woah, extended magazines on the saw is sex. Even more so in the subway tunnels. what do you guys think of the weapons?

GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Flippy_D wrote:
    What is the best course of action if I want to:
    a) Not pay through the nose
    b) Not miss anything important (DLC/extra content wise)

I'm in the UK.

Have someone in India/Thailand buy the game for you.

Weapons, well I like the feel to them, not so for the LAV's mounted MG, they are even weaker than in BC2. The M104? Well a lot of people say it's shit, but I've been one shotted by it countless times from a good distance. It's COD's 1887's all over again for me.

Hidden details in Alpha:
    http://www.battlefield3online.com/battlefield-3-alpha-beta-discussion/1436-battlefield-3-alpha-hidden-details.html

This is of course, only what's in the Alpha and could change in the final version. But you know what I don't see there? Magnum ammo. Aw yes.

Satsumomo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    one shotted from a good distance by a shotgun? its just like BC2 then. pump action is basically an unscoped sniper rifle with the right kid loadout

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote:
    Literally almost no difference for me.

Missing the point, it should have even less contrast than the low contrast photoshop so the details aren't completely washed out in the highlights and the shadows

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    one shotted from a good distance by a shotgun? its just like BC2 then. pump action is basically an unscoped sniper rifle with the right kid loadout

The shottys are perfect. There are no slugs currently so the sniper stuff is non existent. at short to medium range they hurt alot.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Modern day shotguns are more effective at certain farther ranges than old ones right? Especially military ones IIRC.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Shotguns have always been effective at ranges beyond what video games are willing to allow them.

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    TheGerbil wrote:
    Modern day shotguns are more effective at certain farther ranges than old ones right? Especially military ones IIRC.

It doesn't matter what year the shotgun came from. What matters are the choke, the length of the barrel, and the type of shell.

Buckshot can have very tight groupings out to over 30 yards.

The Benelli is not that powerful.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    SJ wrote:
    Shotguns have always been effective at ranges beyond what video games are willing to allow them.
    Yes, and if they can just make spawning on the squad leader and reviving people with shock paddles more like real life, too, we'll have a sequel to ArmA on our hands!

"It works like that in real life" is a pretty bad way to justify things in Battlefield games that people have other reasons for disliking. I myself don't mind the range at which shotguns are effective, though. If it's long range for a shotgun it's normal range for an assault rifle and those are fairly damaging too.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    It's a good thing I never said anything even remotely close to that, then.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:
    But you know what I don't see there? Magnum ammo. Aw yes.

This is the best news.

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SJ wrote:
    Yes, and if they can just make spawning on the squad leader and reviving people with shock paddles more like real life, too, we'll have a sequel to ArmA on our hands!

"It works like that in real life" is a pretty bad way to justify things in Battlefield games that people have other reasons for disliking. I myself don't mind the range at which shotguns are effective, though. If it's long range for a shotgun it's normal range for an assault rifle and those are fairly damaging too.

Just out of curiosity, did you ever play MW2? Those shotguns were perfect.

Now that you can actually aim with your shotguns, slugs would be perfect. Just give them the velocity and drop that they actually have.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited July 2011
    Oh, wow. Okay. You would think that because of this, I would be getting revived left and right.

bullk.png

ALAS

PROBABLY 5% OF MY DEATHS I RECEIVE A REVIVE.

90% of the time, my squad is three Assaults, with me being the only Support. Yet, despite humping them with my ammo box and helping them move up, they never fucking once bust out the paddles.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Seriously the support class is tits; im shocked they are that low. Its rough not being my beloved shot gun medic. And the bipod maneuverability is a knock.... but they are gods of death when things go your way.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    You don't even have to use the LMGs! You can use an MP-7 or the M1014 and have high mobility in addition to the anti-LAV capability and being an ammo volcano.

u4OkoEI.png
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Ammo volcano. I'm stealing that.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    I wonder how many people know that Assault has the revive paddles? It was on a seperate class in BC2/BF2, though the big cross should be a clue.

camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    It gets confusing when you notice that the icons over people's heads remain the same ones that were in BC2. Assaults are lightning bolts, and supports are crosses.

6Jx6HOg.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    dudes

where is the BC2 thread I cannot find it and the new search function sucks ass

6Jx6HOg.png
    The thing about reviving though, is that the revive window is really short. I've tried being a useful medic and I rarely get to you before I can't revive you anymore. Also if you're dead, it's mostly because some douche is camping that area too.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    They should take out magnum ammo. It wouldn't even be noticed much in the long run.

• AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    SJ wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did you ever play MW2? Those shotguns were perfect.

Now that you can actually aim with your shotguns, slugs would be perfect. Just give them the velocity and drop that they actually have.

Sometimes I think back on the days of the Church of SPAS and a tear comes to my eye for the briefest moment. Then I rage at MW2 again.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    To be fair, if they were trying to make the game more realistic, then shotguns wouldn't even be an option.

EH28YFo.jpg
    edited August 2011
    And why is that?

"hurf durf door breaching" isn't an answer.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    And why is that?

"hurf durf door breaching" isn't an answer.

That, and less-than-lethal rounds, is in fact the answer. That's pretty much the only reason you see modern soldiers carrying shotguns.

Edit: Sure we carried halligans, and bolt cutters, but halligans have limited utility against iron gates/doors (and the padlocks on said doors), and bolt cutters dull and break easily. Though the max effective range on a shotgun is greater in real life than in video games, it still can't compare to that of an M4 and wouldn't ever serve as a more effective primary weapon system.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    People love shotguns.

ARs are boring.

u4OkoEI.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Oh, wow. Okay. You would think that because of this, I would be getting revived left and right.

bullk.png

ALAS

PROBABLY 5% OF MY DEATHS I RECEIVE A REVIVE.

90% of the time, my squad is three Assaults, with me being the only Support. Yet, despite humping them with my ammo box and helping them move up, they never fucking once bust out the paddles.

Honestly? I quite like that class mix. Knock a couple % off sniper and give it to support and it's even better.

I have filmed something which caused me great mirth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cCasiMI3dU

6Jx6HOg.png
    Satsumomo wrote:
    The thing about reviving though, is that the revive window is really short. I've tried being a useful medic and I rarely get to you before I can't revive you anymore. Also if you're dead, it's mostly because some douche is camping that area too.
    This seems to be mostly because the spawn timer is shortened a great deal from what you'd usually see in the classical BF games. I used to wait 15-20 seconds to respawn.

6Jx6HOg.png
    TheExAm wrote:
    I have filmed something which caused me great mirth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cCasiMI3dU

You know when you put your hand in your armpit to make fart noises?

He's doing that, but on an entirely new level.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So when does this Alpha end?

Today. I think.

u4OkoEI.png
This discussion has been closed.