As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] - Jets spotted (new trailer in the op)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Hmm. I created a free poll. Nothing fancy, there's no registration or anything, just pick a place and vote.

Where should Dusda get a Battlefield 3 Server?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Welcome to the age where the sanctity of unlockable bullshit takes precedence over letting people have fun playing the game. God forbid someone get a red dot sight on their rifle and AA missiles on their jet without playing for 8 hours first! That would be horrible! We gotta keep the game locked down tighter than a the TV station's stairwell on Sharqi Peninsula to keep those damn h4x0rs from skipping the boring, soul-crushing, grind XP portion of our game!

Dude quit hating on XP and unlocks, everybody knows that they add depth and replayability and without them game would be dead after a month. Remember pre '05 when FPSs didn't have persistence elements? Most boring gaming ever.

Sensational on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Welcome to the age where the sanctity of unlockable bullshit takes precedence over letting people have fun playing the game. God forbid someone get a red dot sight on their rifle and AA missiles on their jet without playing for 8 hours first! That would be horrible! We gotta keep the game locked down tighter than a the TV station's stairwell on Sharqi Peninsula to keep those damn h4x0rs from skipping the boring, soul-crushing, grind XP portion of our game!

Dude quit hating on XP and unlocks, everybody knows that they add depth and replayability and without them game would be dead after a month. Remember pre '05 when FPSs didn't have persistence elements? Most boring gaming ever.

Whaa? I'll admit it was probably because I was a kid, but Counter-Strike was probably the most enduring game experience I've ever had

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote:
    Hmm. I created a free poll. Nothing fancy, there's no registration or anything, just pick a place and vote.

Where should Dusda get a Battlefield 3 Server?

Clearly motherfucking Zimbabwe is the only way to go.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Fizban140 wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    did BF2 servers cost 100 dollars?

I have trouble remembering exactly but I think we had one for $40 or so. I think that sounds right.

For a smaller server, or for a private 64-player server, maybe. Public 64-player servers are still $70-80.

I had a bad company 2 server... I think it was 16 players? it was less than $20 a month

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2011

Actually they are just there to mind fuck you. Some people can't enjoy a game without a treadmill of an artificial reward system. Instead of feeling that sense of accomplishment from actually improving at the game they can get that same feel from unlocking items and such and even further they are sometimes balanced to give an advantage which even furthers than artificial sense of accomplishment.
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Fizban140 wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    did BF2 servers cost 100 dollars?

I have trouble remembering exactly but I think we had one for $40 or so. I think that sounds right.

For a smaller server, or for a private 64-player server, maybe. Public 64-player servers are still $70-80.

It was a 24 player server I think.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Whaa? I'll admit it was probably because I was a kid, but Counter-Strike was probably the most enduring game experience I've ever had

Sarcasm all up in that post, yo.

DICE is bragging how BF3 is going to have like ten times the unlocks of BC2 and I'm basically rolling my eyes at it.

It wouldn't nearly be offensive except that that sort of shit is in part what is justifying their stance on public server files and LAN play. So fuck unlocks.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Zxerol wrote:

Sarcasm all up in that post, yo.

DICE is bragging how BF3 is going to have like ten times the unlocks of BC2 and I'm basically rolling my eyes at it.

It wouldn't nearly be offensive except that that sort of shit is in part what is justifying their stance on public server files and LAN play. So fuck unlocks.

I like filling bars. I have far less motivation to play once bars are filled, unless the game is very entertaining.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I like filling bars. I have far less motivation to play once bars are filled, unless the game is very entertaining.

Im not going to lie, Im pretty sure BC2 no longer has the pull on me that it used to simply because Ive run out of things to unlock. Plus, Im pretty sure my skill at it has peaked. Its still loads of fun, but I just dont feel compelled to play it all the time like I did prior to unlocking everything. I need unlocks.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I played BF1942 and DC far more than was healthy for any normal person without the unlocks...

BUT...Rewards for bronzing every gun or getting platinums actually gets me to mix it up with my guns and discover how much fun the variety can be instead of sticking with just one gun or whatever for the duration of my time with said game.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:

Im not going to lie, Im pretty sure BC2 no longer has the pull on me that it used to simply because Ive run out of things to unlock. Plus, Im pretty sure my skill at it has peaked. Its still loads of fun, but I just dont feel compelled to play it all the time like I did prior to unlocking everything. I need unlocks.

you know you can "prestige" by making a new soldier and starting over, right?

• Options
    hell I bet having to use weapons different from your usual loadout for a while could be a pretty neat challenge!

• Options
    emp123 wrote:

you know you can "prestige" by making a new soldier and starting over, right?

Well, now Im distracted by a bunch of other games.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yea, I play less BC2 than I used to mostly because my skill level has kinda plateaued. I've never given two shits about unlocks, but once I'm pretty capable of just zoning out and coming at or near the top of the server, I tend to lose interest. I still throw down in it on occasion but with the Red Orchestra 2 Beta out now, BF3 coming out soon, and Tribes: Ascend further in the pipeline, I think my BC2ing is near an end.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Guys I'm glad that you enjoy filling bars, and I know that Battlefield 3 is going to be the best bar filling simulator since Progress Quest, but it's annoying for those of us (like me) who loathe filling bars to be forced into the treadmill. DICE could easily fix this by letting us host our own servers and cheese it, or by putting a "my brain's dopamine dispensers are not easily fooled, please just unlock all of my gear because I am adult enough to handle it" button in the UI, but nooooo, all the good shit is hidden behind hours of tedious points acquiring because they've run the numbers and they've realized that for each person like me who gets pissed off that he can't use a certain ACOG scope until he's used a worse scope for a few hours, there are 5 people who don't care as long as they get the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with unlocking something that was only locked so that it would give them a fuzzy feeling when unlocked.

This persistent stat tracking junk is really sucking a lot of the fun out of games for me because it's mandatory when there is no reason for it to be mandatory. Battlefield 2 let people run servers where everything was unlocked, so that everyone could get along: I could rank up on those servers and use whatever guns I wanted until I had unlocked whatever guns I wanted and could use them everywhere, while people who are psychologically addicted to the artificial treadmill of virtual XP could play on normal servers. Fast forward to Bad Company 2 and everything's locked up, but thankfully, in their words, "we miscalculated" and had the number of unlocks and the XP threshold low enough that I could earn basically everything I wanted in a week or so of moderate playing. Unfortunately this struck them not as a convenience but as a miscalculation because now they seem to have some sort of devilish nightmare scenario cooking up, where there are enough unlocks to last us for months of playing.

WHAT IF I WANT THE GUN AT THE END OF THAT MONTHS-LONG UNLOCK TREE?! What the shit do I do now? Play for months with guns I don't like quite as much! Why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

Bunch. Of. Bullshit. A fun game is fun forever (for me at least), and I played Starsiege: Tribes for more than 10 years without missing unlocks. Quake 3 is still awesome. Counterstrike didn't force you to stash enough cash for 2 months to buy a Para to see if you enjoyed using it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You know that feeling when you see a guy dominating your ass with some dope ass weapon or perk for the sixth time in a row and you can't do shit because you're a week away from unlocking something he got in the second day the game was released because heaven forbid you have a life outside playing the game 24/7? I wonder how nasty it'll be with an even bigger unlock tree.

Hopefully they don't something as batshit retarded as making you unlock basic class equipment.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Voted for Chicago as it's the best central server location out there. I'm in Alaska, my regular gaming buddies are in North Carolina/New York, and we all ping roughly the same to Chicago servers.

And yeah, Tycho, the whole unlock thing is pure bullshit. It's part of the steady, brain draining march of "achievements." Where people aren't playing games for the challenge or any real specific reason, they just like seeing stupid achievements and trophies pop up for every little thing they do.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I must be the only one too busy having fun to give a flying shit about the things being unlocked.

Edit: Server in Texas! For I am living on the west coast.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Where's the 'I'm not in America so I'm going to have shitty ping nomatter where the server is' option.

And on the unlock thing, I think the reason I really prefered MW2 over Blops is the unlock system. In MW2 I unlocked all the attachments for a gun and unlocked the mastery title for it before moving onto the next gun. It kept the game fresh and gave me a goal/something to work towards. Getting new titles and icons for completing random challenges was fun too.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Los Angeles is the best for me, but for all fairness I will vote for Texas.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    TC I remember reading the battleblog entry with the server information that having servers where everything is unlocked by default is a thing that is happening, I'll pull that entry up.

E: shit I can't find it never mind

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Blurbl wrote:
    Where's the 'I'm not in America so I'm going to have shitty ping nomatter where the server is' option.
    Zimbabwe.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    With the unlocks in BC2 I don't see a gun at the end of a tree that is just heads and tails better than the first one you get. I don't have any more trouble killing dudes with the Avtomat SMG than I do the UMP. I like the weapon balance. It allows me to just choose which one just feels right for me as opposed to having to use the one OP gun because if you don't you are at a disadvantage (looking at you BLOPS).

I guess my point is inadvertantly that unlocks are unnecessary. But it's what COD does...And fuckloads of dudes play those games...I WILL take the expanded weapon selection of the newer BF's over the original though.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    People who have pre-ordered on Origin. Has the charge shown up on your statement?

It's been over two weeks for me and it doesn't show up. I called my bank and they say it's there as pending, and I told them to authorize it. Still haven't seen it. Is it something that will charge on release day or what?

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:
    People who have pre-ordered on Origin. Has the charge shown up on your statement?

It's been over two weeks for me and it doesn't show up. I called my bank and they say it's there as pending, and I told them to authorize it. Still haven't seen it. Is it something that will charge on release day or what?

My charge took about a day to go through. Maybe EA is afraid of pesos ;-)

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Blood pesos!

My real peeve will be if I have to make the transaction again, since the dollar gained a peso since then.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Blood pesos!

My real peeve will be if I have to make the transaction again, since the dollar gained a peso since then.

So now it's just 19,999 to the dollar instead of 20,000

• Options
    Nuuu! It's $12.50 MXN to $1.00 USD, instead of $11.40. Game is $50 USD for me, so I'm going to pay 50 more pesos, and I make 43 pesos an hour! Grr!

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Nuuu! It's $12.50 MXN to $1.00 USD, instead of $11.40. Game is $50 USD for me, so I'm going to pay 50 more pesos, and I make 43 pesos an hour! Grr!

It's not still broken to where 1 MXN is 1 USD anymore? Too bad.

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    When does this shit come out again?

EDIT: Oh, 11/2. Harrumph.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    When does this shit come out again?

EDIT: Oh, 11/2. Harrumph.

You're a week late, unless I've missed some horrible news.

edit: No, it's definitely the 25th of October. Where the fuck are you getting November from?

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Oh. I was just looking at the OP. So... it comes out a week before that? Awesome.

I wanna get on that goddamn treadmill.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    We should probably fix the OP.

I am really looking forward to my new GPU and some BF3 beta all-nighting all-weekending.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Welp, I wish I hadn't gone back to the OP. Gameplay videos are fucking great! It's still too early for me to start getting hyped, fuck.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    I voted Chicago since us eurotrash wants to play as well and that option was closest.

Think of all the French people! Why, o God, doesn't anyone think of the French!
    Disclaimer: Movitz is not French nor is he affiliated with anything French in any way

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    I still don't see what the issue is with unlocks. Every BF game since BF2 has had them and at most there are only slight differences between them all. Having a list of items to pick from and choose the one that suits you the best is great*.

The issue with the "XP grind wheel" or whatever you call it gives you goals to work for, and if it is anything like previous BF games, you will have all the unlocks LONG before you hit rank cap. I made a new soldier and had everything that I could unlock (outside of the rank required stuff) before level 20.

I can see how you dislike having to put hours into a game that you were going to spend hours playing (shame), but game design is moving in a direction even if it is going to a place that you dislike. With achievements on consoles and steam it was kind of inevitable that skill or time based unlocks starting showing up in every game.
    WHAT IF I WANT THE GUN AT THE END OF THAT MONTHS-LONG UNLOCK TREE?! What the shit do I do now? Play for months with guns I don't like quite as much! Why? I HAVE NO IDEA.

Clearly you are exaggerating, but follow along with me for a second - what if you took this attitude with an RPG? Say you started playing World of Warcraft right now, you would have a LONG LONG time before you were anywhere close to getting everything unlocked. You would have to level from 1-85, grind gear to get prepared for raiding and hate yourself after spending weeks or months grinding up faction reputation for shit.

You seem to have this sense of entitlement to something that makes little difference. So what, you have to spend time playing the game that you should be doing anyway. If not having the SCAR-L instead of the starting MP7 is going to ruin your fun happy game time, then I would just stop playing video games and take up shark surfing or rocket surgery.

Or you could just get on the gravy train to unlock town, population: Everyone, and have fun playing the video game.

*Opinion

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Surely the solution is to structure gun and gadget unlocks in such a way that no matter what level you're at, you have access to something that's good at killing mans? Obviously this is easier said then done, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibilty. In fact it's a large factor in how people enjoy the game (players are underpowered until lvl10, the lvl 40 assault rifle is just a glorified reskin etc)

Basically I'm not worried about the unlock system itself, but whether a bloke like myself who'll play maybe 5 hours a week can still find a playstyle that will let me be effective

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I was pretty fine with the (short, but good) unlocking in BC2. The unlocking in BF2 was a pain in the ass though.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This game isn't BC2, there is no "gun that is bad at killing mans". They all killed in 3-4 shots in the Alpha.
    MAYBE 5, sometimes!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.