As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

school is for pretentious assholes

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I tried to get a jump start on a paper that is due Wednesday because I have another paper due Thursday.

I've got about half a page written (it's supposed to be at least 15 pages).

New personal best against procrastination!

Sassori on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm doing easy mode. Associate's degree at community college.

Cheap, too.

I'm sure I'll get what I paid for.

Fuck it, it's education that you can use. Just as long as you can transfer most of the credits to a university you'll be fine for if you go back to school for a bachelor's in the future (I think my CC/transfer means I have to take statistics twice or some shit like that)

Indeed I can! North Carolina's community college board and the state's university system developed degrees specifically geared toward transferring from CC to a uni. I'll be completing a regular associate's first (network technology), and getting some certs. If job opportunities don't open up, I'll finish the transfer degree and keep going, as needed.

Going to potentially rack up a lot of debt, but at least I can keep my bills paid until I can find a job. Then I'll actually only be broke for another decade or so after that. :/

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bioinformatics final today.
    hoo boy.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Marth wrote: »
    Got some good work done on a group project today.

While working with my partner I read online that my house back home was in the area of a brush fire.

Not conducive to getting work done.

hope your house is okay

ps this new registration system sucks hard

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    got autoplaced in a bunch of classes for i have no idea what reason, i filled out this form to get into the closed sections i wanted and was waiting a few days to see if i got in those ones because there was no point in picking the classes around a schedule i didn't actually have yet, but now my schedule has been made for me

it is simultaneously rage inducing and relieving

lots of 8 AM's but i think after this semester i much prefer those to night classes

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dumb teenage stuff: Prom was actually fun.

Most magical moment: dancing to Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" with transgirl Kitty, who showed up in this lovely pink ballgown. I'd never seen her in a dress before.

Haha what the hell?: Seeing/hearing a ballroom full of high school girls singing the hook to Rihanna's "S&M".

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Too bad Born This Way is a pretty meh song.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it isn't my favorite Gaga song. Wasn't too fond of the DJ actually. Bachata? Really? Corridos? Really? "LA VACA"!? Really? And Selena?

"La Vaca" ("The Cow) is an old Spanish song, the lyrics are just "the cow, moo" over and over and over again. It is so repetitive.

And then bump and grind music that was much to slow to really dance to lasted forever. I guess that would have been fine if people had gone in couples but most people had not.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will not rest until I fail all the exams.
    Haha what the hell?: Seeing/hearing a ballroom full of high school girls singing the hook to Rihanna's "S&M".
    KIDS THESE DAYS! *scowl*

Coinage on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I didn't go to my prom. My friends and I ended up getting drunk, naked and playing D&D in the woods. I count that as a victory.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After getting shot down by 4 girls for Prom, one that I thought was totally out of my league said yes. And then 2 days before the event, she told me that someone else asked her out and she was going with him instead.

The fucker actually had money, so he went the whole 9 yards and rented a limo and everything. I spent my night crashing a party a block from the school, and then did the mature thing by egging that rented limo. Truly, I am the classiest.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sorry to hear that Lemon :(

I hadn't asked anyone or been asked but inadvertently ended up with a sort of date anyway (friend of mine), and he was sweet but I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get in my pants, which is rather reasonable to expect from someone with Playboy cufflinks and Lothario persona. But whatevs, I had fun so I am glad I went.

And the next senior event is the trip to Disneyland. I'm a wimp and can barely handle their rides . . .

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My high school experience was depressing. It is a blur of boring in my memory.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ah, my school did the Disneyland thing too.

And it all turned out okay. Girl-stealing douche got busted for something about a week before graduation, and didn't get to take part in the ceremony. Also, college girls turned out to not be shallow bitches.

Sometimes I think my last month of high school didn't really happen, and my mind replaced it with an amalgamation of bad 80's Teen Movie cliches. So much bullshit drama.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heh, high school. Good times.

Very little responsibility and incredibly easy classes. Good good times.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, just remembered RE: the cufflinks.

He said he found them in his mother's closet. If they weren't his dad's, why would she own them? Frankly I think that discovery would yield a sense of vague discomfort. He was just happy to have an accessory that completed his outfit. I think that is the wrong reaction!

I'd be unsettled if that was my mom :/

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    transgirl Kitty

breakfastonpluto.jpg
    :?:

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's the guy who played Scarecrow right?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh man, just remembered RE: the cufflinks.

He said he found them in his mother's closet. If they weren't his dad's, why would she own them? Frankly I think that discovery would yield a sense of vague discernment. He was just happy to have an accessory that completed his outfit. I think that is the wrong reaction!

I'd be unsettled if that was my mom :/

This would warrant an immediate GIS

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I tried telling him just how weird it was but he wouldn't listen; he was so proud to have found them.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I think about dropping out maybe two or three times a day at this point. I know I'm not going to keep all my scholarships next year, and when I can't get a callback for unpaid internship positions for months on end it seems odd to bet on the degree resulting in me getting a job that will pay off the loans.

You and me both, dude.

Finals are next week and the week after. Because it's totally fair to base 100% of the class grade on one 3 hour exam and expect us to cite specific cases and rules to back up our arguments and not allow outlines even though we've read well over 100 cases throughout the semester. Oh, and all 5 classes are like that. Because that's totally how practicing attorneys write their briefs, so that's how we should do it in school, right?

Fucking bullshit.

Amen, Brother. I'm getting really fucking tired of this ridiculous process that is supposed to prepare us for practice. Fuck all things. And my appellate brief is due at 5.

Just keep soldering on, friend. Your 1L year and all of the bullshit that goes with it is almost over. Unfortunately, none of the test-taking stuff changes, but at least your professors will treat you with a marginal amount of respect.

They try to work you to death as a 2L, but it's not nearly as bad as the first year.

Thanks, man, I know it will eventually get better. Just turned in my appellate brief and I just cracked open beer #3. I just want to get this over with.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    emailed my prof to ask for a clarification and an extension. woot.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Chinese test Friday, joy.

Thanks for bookending the semester with a full on exam twice a week DICK

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    National Honor Society induction tonight.

Woooooooooooeeeeeegh.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think about dropping out maybe two or three times a day at this point. I know I'm not going to keep all my scholarships next year, and when I can't get a callback for unpaid internship positions for months on end it seems odd to bet on the degree resulting in me getting a job that will pay off the loans.

You and me both, dude.

Finals are next week and the week after. Because it's totally fair to base 100% of the class grade on one 3 hour exam and expect us to cite specific cases and rules to back up our arguments and not allow outlines even though we've read well over 100 cases throughout the semester. Oh, and all 5 classes are like that. Because that's totally how practicing attorneys write their briefs, so that's how we should do it in school, right?

Fucking bullshit.

Amen, Brother. I'm getting really fucking tired of this ridiculous process that is supposed to prepare us for practice. Fuck all things. And my appellate brief is due at 5.

Just keep soldering on, friend. Your 1L year and all of the bullshit that goes with it is almost over. Unfortunately, none of the test-taking stuff changes, but at least your professors will treat you with a marginal amount of respect.

They try to work you to death as a 2L, but it's not nearly as bad as the first year.

Thanks, man, I know it will eventually get better. Just turned in my appellate brief and I just cracked open beer #3. I just want to get this over with.

What was your fact pattern (really briefly) and which side did you represent?

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I tried telling him just how weird it was but he wouldn't listen; he was so proud to have found them.

coulda been his grandpa's or an uncle or something

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You and me both, dude.

Fucking bullshit.

shit, i feel like having the brief due this late in the semester would really blow, with finals around the corner

thankfully mine was due at the end of february

satansfingers on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just can't even complain about school. I am taking 19 hours, but I just spent the past weekend doing absolutely no homework, and have received absolutely no penalty for it.

(turns out double majoring in econ and math is easy if you go to a shitty college.)

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well National Honor Society done

I look good dressed up: "The jacket says you're classy, but the opened up top of the shirt and the popped collar (wasn't actually popped just a rather large collar) says you're here to party"

Oghulk on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    wow i totally forgot nhs was a thing that existed

satansfingers on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    wow i totally forgot nhs was a thing that existed

yeah seriously
    I associate the acronym with free healthcare now (sadly that might change)

Tam on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, they abducted me. Senior year, we had a new advisor take over, who realized that the 10 community service hours that were required was far below average, so he bumped it up to 25 I think (I was grandfathered in at 10 though). To help build hours, we had to do a community service project as an entity, so we put together a pancake breakfast fundraiser that we lost money on (reminds me of that Malcolm in the Middle episode where Malcolm is forced to join a fundraising group that spends all their money on the balloon budget).

Basically, NHS at my high school was just there to look good for students applying to college.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that's all it's there for at every high school

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, really is. Can't think of a single thing that the NHS will do next year except make me do the community service hours and look good on college applications.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my NHS advisor called meetings to tell us how few of us were showing up to their events and yell at us and i don't think they ever improved their numbers

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    my high school required like 100 community service hours

it was a catholic school though

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ours is like 20 I think.

Oghulk on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my high school needed 25
    I ended up doing like five of them, got the lady to sign the form and promised I'd come back to do the other 20, and then never did

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    community service was the best thing i did in high school

do community service

satansfingers on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I recall right, for me it was like 10 hours my junior and senior year. I forged most of them my senior year.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
This discussion has been closed.