As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

school is for pretentious assholes

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Its hard not to compare though when there's only two of us.

Yeah, I'm working fulltime, maybe if I weren't I would have had more time to study. I don't know. And yes, practical experience is more important I guess, the written test is no use at all in real life. But I'm still devastated.

Mm, they're going to let us check I think. The department had not had an exam like this before so we didn't know what the questions were going to be, I guess when I resit I'll be able to be prepared this time.

Thanks Wiet and LS. You have helped and I'm sorry if I'm not seeming grateful.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think you're hitting the nail on the head without realizing it. The truth is, practical experience is very important, and you have to work to live, but it's incredibly hard (sometimes impossible) to do everything at once - work, social life, school - to the best and highest degree possible. If you're working your tail off ___ hours a week, you end up cutting into down time (which you need to recouperate) and study time and sleep time. Your brain needs to process the information you stuff in it, which is hard to do when you're also trying to juggle eighteen other important real life things.

So A) don't beat yourself up about it, because after a certain point it doesn't do any good. And B) decide whether you're content with what you have or if you truly feel there are ways you can reformulate your study plan and do even better the second time around.

Just remember there is nooothing wrong with resitting a test to improve your results. Especially if you know (which it seems like you do) that you can do better.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully they will let you check it. If it's the first time they did that exam and you got questions about things you've never seen before, it seems like they might've messed something up! Better check with your teacher too if you get the chance.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm working 30 hours a week. If I were to resit I would try to book of a week before it, I'm still owed two days from Christmas and days from Mother's Day and about ten holidays left.

I guess it depends on what they do if I get a lower grade second time round, if I have to take that, or if I can stick with the current grade. I'll have to find out.

I know I shouldn't beat myself up over it, and its stupid to, so I'm going to calm down and take it like a man.

Thank you LS, I really do appreciate your help. You're great.

edit: Well, I spoke to the girl I go to class with and she got the same result - WHAT? That is mad, but in a way I'm glad we're in the same boat.

Liiya on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    School thread regulars may recall my mentioning that I had a 25-page paper due in a month... well, exactly one month ago

It was due today and coming into this weekend I only had 7 pages done

With a focus of an intensity only matched by that of my previous laziness, I buckled down and wrote the rest of it over the past four days

In fact, I ended up writing 32 pages instead of 25

That may explain why last night was an all nighter

But I just submitted it (an hour before the deadline!) and it feels like a great weight has been lifted off of my shoulders

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Liiya, if both of you wound up with the same grade and this is the first time they had a test like this, maybe they messed up on their end. Especially if the content differed in a large degree from the practice tests.

Sal that is some grade A procrastination. Nothing better than the feeling of getting a project done and out from over your head.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Remember Liiya

P's get Degrees

my lecturer taught me this

in fact he outright told me with a big grin on his face

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i won my trial

to be fair, the law and the facts were on our side and this probably would have been settled in real life

but still, i did pretty good

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did you squeeze in a reference from every lawyer movie from the past 30 years?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Were these magic grits?"

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »
    Liiya, if both of you wound up with the same grade and this is the first time they had a test like this, maybe they messed up on their end. Especially if the content differed in a large degree from the practice tests.

Sal that is some grade A procrastination. Nothing better than the feeling of getting a project done and out from over your head.

Well I'm thinking so! I'm relieved. I'm going to figure out my options when college is back open, but if this doesn't drag down my overall grade (I have got Distinctions in everything else) then I may not resit.

Well done Ubik!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    honestly if i make a b i'm satisfied with it

i've never had much motivation or ambition though

this semester i might make 3 - 4 a's and that is exciting to me

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    My main reasoning is because if I were to resit, and I got a lower grade, I might have to take that lower grade. I'm not sure they'd give me the option to choose.

And resitting will mean staying longer at my current job, which I am not happy in at all. So who knows, just gotta wait now.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got my Fin aid
    Award Description:

Federal College Work Study

Federal Pell Grant

Fed Supp Educ Opp Grant

UMass Amherst Grant

Federal Perkins Loan

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

Federal Direct Unsub Loan

Chancellor's Scholarship

Aid Year Totals

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vis that is straight baller. Good for you!!

I also got good news today, my D in Physics got curved to a C, so I don't have to retake Wave mechanics this summer! THANK GOD.

I may retake it sometime down the road if I decide I want to be in the honours program, but then I'd also be retaking Linear Algebra, and I don't want to do that at all.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's a good chunk of financial aid, Vis. Congrats!

I've never been content with B's. There's one B on my college transcript and it bugs me that it's there every time I think about it.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I've never been content with B's. There's one B on my college transcript and it bugs me that it's there every time I think about it.

Getting A's is really hard. I'm going to hide behind the fact that I work 30-60 hours a week depending on the term while I go to school, but tip of the hat to anyone that holds themselves to that standard and remains sane.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That looks really substantial VI, I hope it's exactly what you need!

EDIT: Oh, hadn't seen that you'd got your results in Liiya. Sorry to hear it wasn't what you expected, but glad to see Salient and Wiet and co. have already dispensed good advice :^:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, I am more than content with a B. I don't even mind the couple of Cs that I have. As long as I keep my GPA around 3.5, it's all good.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Getting A's is really hard. I'm going to hide behind the fact that I work 30-60 hours a week depending on the term while I go to school, but tip of the hat to anyone that holds themselves to that standard and remains sane.
    I really shouldn't be annoyed at it. It was a calculus class, and math isn't my best subject. The professor gave very difficult tests and a lot of work; only a handful of people got an A in the class. I'm just used to being one of the handful.

I guess I should be thankful though, as it showed me that the subject I was pursuing wasn't a proper fit.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peccavi wrote: »
    "Were these magic grits?"

Haha

I love that this is what came to mind and not "You can't handle the truth!"

I heart you Peccavi. You're all right.

Sassori on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aww, thanks Sassori. You're not bad yourself.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Aww, thanks Sassori. You're not bad yourself.

Yeah. That's usually about as good as it gets.

Sassori on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TheStig wrote: »

nah i just screamed "you can't handle the truth" and "this whole damn system's out of order" a bunch

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Ubik wrote: »

nah i just screamed "you can't handle the truth" and "this whole damn system's out of order" a bunch

Good.

People wouldn't have known they were in a courthouse without it.

Sassori on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Don't forget your law and order sound machine

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    i just make law and order sounds with my mouth

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2011

I really shouldn't be annoyed at it. It was a calculus class, and math isn't my best subject. The professor gave very difficult tests and a lot of work; only a handful of people got an A in the class. I'm just used to being one of the handful.

I guess I should be thankful though, as it showed me that the subject I was pursuing wasn't a proper fit.

That's basically been my experience with this Physics class. I'm going to stay on the Physics path, though. I see what I did wrong both on the exam and the days and months leading up to it. I feel pretty confident that I can modify my behaviours next year to bring my mark back up. My other 3 classes are all looking like they will be A's, though, which is awesome and will, as MadEddy mentioned, keep my overall GPA to a 3.5 ish, which is good enough for me.

I'm sitting and waiting now to see a Science faculty advisor, though, as this C puts me in a position where I can choose to re-take the class for a B and enter the honours degree path, or go with the very similar Major degree. I don't know what doors are open or closed with either path, though.

babyeatingjesus on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got my first grade back. Was expecting a C, got a B. Hooray!

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Graduating next year with my history major and poli sci minor, I am scared of reality.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i have lost all focus in class. only a week and a half to go, thank god.

i can already tell finals are not going to be fun this semester, though.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i have lost all focus in class. only a week and a half to go, thank god.

i can already tell finals are not going to be fun this semester, though.

I have a class that I stopped reading for 3 weeks ago.

Finals are going to be an absolute nightmare this semester.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm on spring break right now and I have a lot of work to do, but I don't want to do it because it's spring break :(

TheStig on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so close to mentally checking out for the semester. trying to hold on but damn it's tough when I don't have a moment to breathe for work to do and tests to study for. also, only have one paragraph of my paper done, but I convinced the teacher to give me a one day deadline extension. There may still be hope!

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm on spring break right now and I have a lot of work to do, but I don't want to do it because it's spring break :(

Probably my #1 reason for liking the quarter system. No homework on breaks.

skettios on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    but orikae, what if you are an asshole with no pretension

where do you belong then?

Wall Street.

sarukun on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    holy shit Viscount I went to school right down the street from UMass (like three miles down the street but w/e)

stay away from Amherst College math classes they are stupid hard and they've been teaching them the same way for a hundred years, only now you're allowed to program individual problems in Matlab rather than writing them all out by hand

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's basically been my experience with this Physics class. I'm going to stay on the Physics path, though. I see what I did wrong both on the exam and the days and months leading up to it. I feel pretty confident that I can modify my behaviours next year to bring my mark back up. My other 3 classes are all looking like they will be A's, though, which is awesome and will, as MadEddy mentioned, keep my overall GPA to a 3.5 ish, which is good enough for me.

I'm sitting and waiting now to see a Science faculty advisor, though, as this C puts me in a position where I can choose to re-take the class for a B and enter the honours degree path, or go with the very similar Major degree. I don't know what doors are open or closed with either path, though.
    That's great that you see where you can improve. If you're not pressed for time or money, re-taking the class might be a good idea since it's a related to your degree. I suppose it all boils down to what degree you want to pursue.

Good on you for sticking with it, too. There were a number of factors in my decision to switch away from computer science, but the chief two were that 1) while I struggled, there were some that excelled in the same class. These people had the same major, and these are the type of people I'd be competing with for entrance into universities and for jobs. And 2) I wasn't enjoying it. I had in the past, but now I could tell it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    need to study

but god damn, my notes are nigh impenetrable

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't even think most of these are about archaeology

halfway through this page about the mayan collapse I start detailing a plan to seize control of the city's water supply

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
This discussion has been closed.