As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

school is for pretentious assholes

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2011 in Social Entropy++
i find myself wanting to drop out about once a semester

it's that time again - basically as part of my current course my professor offered to let me do a creative piece in addition to the essay

the problem is, i never had time to do both, and i regret taking it on to begin with because the parameters were never clearly set - in other words, i don't know what is expected of me

boo hoo, academic problems

it's exam season. bitch about school here.

Orikaeshigitae on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    school got me teen pregnant

Tam on
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is it you study?

I'm thinking of going to art school/ doing an art course.
    but if tuition fees are introduced next year then fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    master's degree in english literature

Orikaeshigitae on
  • CowardlyCowardly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A few of my friends want to drop out and start over, and I think next year the is the last time you can do so without paying the raised fees.

Or it may have been this year? I forget

edit: Its next year. If you enrol this year you are safe.

edit2: Im talking UK

Cowardly on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh

If you don't mind my asking why did you go into it?

Oghulk on
  • AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good thing I figured out school is for fools. No advanced degrees for me.
    Read: have too much student loan debt from various poor decisions to consider going back to school for now.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Huh

when i initially switched from comp sci to english the condition was that i go to grad school

here i am

Orikaeshigitae on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    exam time

fucking yippee

KalTorak on
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have one class this semester and it's an utter joke. A complete waste of my time and money. But it's the last class I need for to get a degree so I have to slog through it.

It should be enjoyable, all this free time to pursue worthy endeavors, but instead it just feels wasted. It's a bit frustrating.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh

when i initially switched from comp sci to english the condition was that i go to grad school

here i am

Actually, why English specifically?

Oghulk on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    but orikae, what if you are an asshole with no pretension

where do you belong then?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seriously my high school self would never believe that I was frustrated a class was too easy

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got juuuuuust enough money to cover my last month of rent and food without going back to work, and then I get my totally awesome BA in Psychology which qualifies me for very little outside of Human Resources.

Then I can go and live with my parents again for a while. Yay.

Rogue Lemon on
    Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FlatEric wrote: »
    I have one class this semester and it's an utter joke. A complete waste of my time and money. But it's the last class I need for to get a degree so I have to slog through it.

It should be enjoyable, all this free time to pursue worthy endeavors, but instead it just feels wasted. It's a bit frustrating.

That's sounds so familiar.

Though it feels wrong to bitch about things being easy.

BlackDove on
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woo, exams start this week. I also have my last English paper to write but I am procrastinating because all I can think about is Game of Thrones comes on tonight. Also there is stuff on the internet.

Ruby Rhod on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think about dropping out maybe two or three times a day at this point. I know I'm not going to keep all my scholarships next year, and when I can't get a callback for unpaid internship positions for months on end it seems odd to bet on the degree resulting in me getting a job that will pay off the loans.

MrMonroe on
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was just checking my grades a second ago...
    think I got my first C for a final grade.
    Stupid writing, why do I have to be so bad at it? Also it may have helped if I had been reading the book when I was told I should

scarlet blvd. on
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    exam time

fucking yippee

I should really start revising about now.

But urghhhhkjhnkngb

101 on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    fucking hell

800 frames blocked out in this animation in the past two weeks, and I'm still not done

god damn this is way too much work

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rank, what's the animation of? I am actually kind of interested learning it, but of course I didn't take the class while I had the chance, damnit

scarlet blvd. on
    edited April 2011
    Animation is done at 30 FPS, right? So much work flashing by in mere fractions of seconds.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gotta e-mail a professor and beg for a mark

Franko on
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh

here i am

who set that condition?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Huh

here i am

who set that condition?

Paul Riser. The guy's got serious academic pull.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
    edited April 2011
    Rank, what's the animation of? I am actually kind of interested learning it, but of course I didn't take the class while I had the chance, damnit

this animation. I'll be putting up a post about my progress i made this week later sometime tonight.
    Animation is done at 30 FPS, right? So much work flashing by in mere fractions of seconds.

depends on the animation. This is done at 24 fps.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I missed the whole second week of Spring quarter because of superbad cold and allergies that gave me hives and had my throat swelling shut.

Weaver on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Now I know which school thread to use.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rank is making me wish I'd kept up doing 3D animation and i haven't touched lightwave in years.

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    3D animation is great.

When you watch it.

A fucking nightmare to construct without a farm of supercomputers. They help. More than you'd think.

BlackDove on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Graded the quarter's first round of lab reports.

There is a correlation between how well my students did and how well they followed my instructions.

Shocking.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes I wish I had got an education that had allowed me to work in an artistic rather than technical field.

Then I realize I am just lazy and would not enjoy the monotony that comes with just about all jobs, regardless of field.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
    edited April 2011
    I've got about 900 frames of animation total, is my estimate. Around 37, 38 seconds.

Looking at around 24 hours of rendering time, likely. Maybe less, if my home computer can kick more ass then these shitty ones at school.

Even still, this 38 seconds of animation took fifteen weeks to make, and I had to make compromises in practically every single department.

Animation may be tedious, but at least it's a lot of hard work.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited April 2011
    For one of my classes we did some 3d work, it was a lot of fun. Set up IK and facial morph shapes on a pre-made model in Cinema 4D, was one of my favorite projects I've done at this college.

It just seems like a pipe dream to pursue it though. No prior art experience or portfolio, a highly competitive field with many talented individuals, high cost for any schooling, and 2-4 more years of classes when I'm already 23 years old.

I've heard lightwave is pretty good, and also that there's a free alternative to zbrush now. Maybe I'll download 'em and mess around over spring break.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited April 2011
    pfft, I didn't start school until I was 28

that don't mean shit

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Orik how do you feel about your english degree

I am considering transferring to a liberal arts college and getting an english degree instead of moving forward with marketing

i dont know what I was thinking

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited April 2011
    That is actually really encouraging, Rank

Thanks. Seriously.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like the same reason I didn't pursue astronomy, despite really loving it.

PhD as a minimum entrance requirement? Low paying, hyper-competitive field with vastly more highly qualified people than good positions? Extremely low paying, mind-numbing drudgery for everyone else?

Eff that.

I do still practice it on my own time. Just not professionally.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It depends. 30fps is mostly seen in games. Traditional animation and stuff you see in films is usually in 24fps.

I've never animated in 30 before but I heard instead of just animating on 2's and 4's like in 24fps you just animate on 3's and 5's, whatever feels right basically.

Also goddamn Rank 900 frames is nuts. You will probably be looking at more than 24 hours of rendering time though. I can almost guarantee that. And even then it won't be just hit the button and then wait and you're done. You're gonna have problems.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Two more papers, a presentation, four exams, and I am done.

For a month. Then I have classes starting at eight all summer. :? I keep telling myself it will be worth it to graduate next year and have time to get my master's before I'm thirty.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a programming project and two papers/presentations I need to make that are all due in about two weeks

haven't started it at alllllll

Speed Racer on
This discussion has been closed.