As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2! IT'S HERE! IT'S OUT!

SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
GLaDOS@home
E2AWy.png
The Portal 2 test project is a new initiative from Aperture Science. It is a follow up to the hugely successful Portal test project. This new test is longer and features cooperative testing in addition to the already well known individiual testing. This time the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device is not the only element featured in the testing. There will also be propulsion and repulsion gels, excursion funnels and more!
wEZnC.jpg
Shown here is Aperture Science opening it's doors for you!

The testing is open for users of PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 systems and begins on April 19th with it being available throughout the world in the following days.
qO7T9.jpg
An excursion funnel being redirect by portals! Also shown is the Aperture Science turret.

Aperture Investment Opportunities
Perhaps you'd like to invest in Aperture Science. No? Maybe these demonstrations of Aperture Science products will convince you.
[VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcED35LL8I"]Panels[/VIDURL] [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMSAzZ76EU"]Robots[/VIDURL] [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-nMWgBUp0"]Turrets[/VIDURL] [VIDURL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg"]Boots[/VIDURL]

Who can test with who?
The Portal 2 test project is running on advanced systems, not all of which Aperture Science is in complete control of. This can prevent certain test participants from interacting with each other. Aperture Science is pleased to inform that users of PC, Mac and Playstation 3 can all perform the cooperative testing together, all thanks to the advanced Steam system. You can read more about how the Portal 2 test project for Playstation 3 interacts with Steam here. Test subjects performing the testing on Xbox 360 system can only attempt the cooperative testing with subjects also being tested on Xbox 360 systems.

Excuse my shameless stealing of Peewi's excellent OP.

Sceptre on

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I was tempted to remake my old portal thread, but thought better of it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't been this excited for a new product's release since the last Harry Potter book.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SO EXCITED!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't been this excited for a new product's release since the last Harry Potter book.

That's how I felt a week ago.

After the past few days, all my excitement has burned out. I still want to play the game, but not nearly as much anymore.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If we don't hit some kind of potato threshold that makes them actually do something worthwhile in the next few hours, it's going to be too late to matter.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just got back from 4 days of no internet, just in time for a new thread it seems. Whats happening with the "Help release Portal 2 early" thing, does each potato sack game need to reach a certain number of players or something?

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    blah blah ARG blah blah I can't play my vidja early blah blah Valve marketing sucks blah blah

I'll stick to being excited for a game that, by all accounts, looks amazing and hasn't been delayed again.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hasn't been delayed again... yet.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it'll make everyone feel better (and it will), have some USB taters
    potato-usb-hub.jpg

Monger on
  • Options
    Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    If we don't hit some kind of potato threshold that makes them actually do something worthwhile in the next few hours, it's going to be too late to matter.

^^

If half a million potatoes doesn't do it I give up on guessing.

Though that large bar should be full by tomorrow morning I think.

Crazy Robot on
    3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »

Motherfucker.

Don't you dare jinx this shit, son!

Zxerol on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So tempted to preorder this, but the cheapest Australian PS3 version I can find is $70. :(

Flay on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, in the last thread someone linked some good Portal 1 maps. In my extreme intelligence I forgot to bookmark these. Anybody know some good Portal 1 maps I could get my hands on?

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

^^

Only if you're right about half a million potatoes. If I recall correctly, someone did the math and found that it's literally impossible to finish Killing Floor on time, even if every single person doing GlaDOS@Home switched to it.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    So, in the last thread someone linked some good Portal 1 maps. In my extreme intelligence I forgot to bookmark these. Anybody know some good Portal 1 maps I could get my hands on?

this is all you need

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I try to bring this up once in a while, we haven't heard about potatoes until april 1st. and potatoes in the classic experiment don't actually provide power. They just act like a wire or container. and we really haven't seen potatoes having any sort of effect on the bars....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I try to bring this up once in a while, we haven't heard about potatoes until april 1st. and potatoes in the classic experiment don't actually provide power. They just act like a wire or container. and we really haven't seen potatoes having any sort of effect on the bars....
    Mail_from_Jeep_to_Ryukaki.png

So people are guessing it'll be when we either reach a certain percentage of cycles, or when we get enough potatoes, then the potatoes will start to add bonus power or something.

edit: Jeep is a Valve employee by the way.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jeep is a pretty cool name to have.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Except that every game has taken a shorter time to unlock even though we started concentrating on the shortest games first. This wouldn't be the case if what you thought would happen did happen.
    Here's the thing, halfway through today or tomorrow people are going to give up on moving the progress bars and it will stall.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

So people are guessing it'll be when we either reach a certain percentage of cycles, or when we get enough potatoes, then the potatoes will start to add bonus power or something.

My hunch is that we need a certain amount of games completed before the potatoes start overdriving.

Crazy Robot on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    The games taking shorter could just be a combination of A) more people participating as we're generally going in order from least to most popular and B) starting the next game at a higher percentage than the previous game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »

Motherfucker.

I have held over 60 copies of the console version in my hands. This is real man. Don't give up hope.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Please please please something happen when Bit.Trip completes.

Pretty please, Valve

Crazy Robot on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please please please something happen when Bit.Trip completes.

Pretty please, Valve

Either it'll go into SUPER HYPER MODE and we'll complete the whole thing within the next hour and a half, or else everyone will quit whining and enjoy their Portal 2 Monday evening :P.

Winky on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

Motherfucker.

I have held over 60 copies of the console version in my hands. This is real man. Don't give up hope.

You do have to admit that rigging this to fail as a means of telling us the game was delayed until 2013 would be the best troll ever.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK 3 on Bit Trip Bit giving me 9 altogether. Think I'll try Audiosurf again and then finish up with some Defense Grid

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

^^

Yeah, I doubt we'll even reach the 500,000 mark before it's too late to matter, at the rate we've been going. It might turn the last four hours of waiting into two hours, or something lame like that.

Edit: Bit Trip just finished, nothing obvious has happened.

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh I just caved and ordered a PS3 copy from the UK. Won't be getting it for another two and a half weeks though. :(

EDIT: BIT.TRIP is done.

Flay on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bit trip just completed.

Edit: Bit.Trip Beated :(

Szechuan on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grabbed my 9th with Amnesia and now it's late enough that I think that'll be where I end up. 1/4 of the available ones isn't great, but along with grinding out a massive chunk of Killing floor with some other PA'ers (and a solo wielding adventure) I feel I've participated.

No use fretting and sweating it, in my mind. I've come to terms with our hopefully having P2 sometime tomorrow (hopefully the afternoon or earlier) and having helped introduce some people to awesome games over the weekend.

Had to have something to do between RB3 sessions anyway.

... getting a 360 Slim and Rock Band 3 the weekend Portal 2 was due out may not have been the wisest choice I've made to date.

Edit: Though it did just hit me that Monday will also slow the rate of progress significantly, unless enough people idling (through the program) keeps us up with the loss incurred otherwise.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    helios10 wrote: »
    Do you think anything will happen when theres 500,000 potatoes?

I would be surprised if it hit 500k Taters at this point.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    LordGravewishLordGravewish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Completing half the games did nothing... Meh, guess I'll just play it on tuesday then.

LordGravewish on
    Without me, it's just aweso.
    Xfire: lordgravewish
    Steam: LordGravewish
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

My hunch is that we need a certain amount of games completed before the potatoes start overdriving.

My immediate response the last time that letter was posted was to post another email that says "getting enough potatoes definitely makes the diablo 2 battle.net chat gem do stuff. and things"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm going to an Interpol concert tomorrow evening.

Portal will probably be released tomorrow evening.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUU

symbolsor on
  • Options
    XereXere Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    Ugh I just caved and ordered a copy from the UK. Won't be getting it for another two and a half weeks though. :(

EDIT: BIT.TRIP is done.

So at this rate on par with the rest of us.

Got to say, the "early release" is looking increasingly poor show. If it had been tonight, early Monday, late Monday maybe. But honestly a few hours plus or minus midnight doesn't really help anyone on a MONDAY night.

Not the end of the world, and i get the indie promotional stuff. But really the carrot was not worth the pain. Awesome of Valve to do what they have done to support the Indie community, awesome ARG effort, as my wife always says, poor finish.

here is hoping that we get more than 5 hours early release.

Xere on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Growth boss in bit.trip beat can go die in a fire. Unless there's a trick to scoring every serve I dont think I have the raw reflexes to beat it.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The next possible milestone is 75%, but at this point I think it's safe to just assume you'll be playing it late Monday or early Tuesday.

Winky on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What's the next game we're working on?

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xere wrote: »
    as my wife always says, poor finish.

o_O
    :lol:

Here's hoping, ladies and gentlemen.

To put a thought out there; now would be a marvelous time to do some Support perk leveling overnight for those who play Killing Floor. If you might end up doing it anyway, tonight it'll pull double duty.
    What's the next game we're working on?

Audiosurf and The Ball, according to the ARG page.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    The next possible milestone is 75%, but at this point I think it's safe to just assume you'll be playing it late Monday or early Tuesday.

The problem is that things are going to slow down tonight, and thanks to school/work you're not going to have many people on during the day.

And unless there's some kind of boost added into the system, I don't think that Killing Floor is getting done regardless.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.