As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SPACE MARINE - In the grim darkness of the future, there are only BIG MEN

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is the guy who didn't know you could lvl up in Mass Effect, right? Frigging ridiculous.

You should be glad no one takes games "journalism" seriously, otherwise you'd be out of a job right now.
    Javier, I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. :)

God, what a fucking troll!

Good grief, dude's almost as bad as Jim Sterling.

His half baked non-apology is pretty much just the icing on the cake. What a freaking moron.

subedii on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why are people stupid

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That journalist needs to lose his job. Objectively, that article is unacceptable from a professional standpoint.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    When your update/apology is twice as long as the article you know you dun fucked up.

e: also, one of the relicdevs that posts over at SA says that this game will have a full army painter. Fuck yeah.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The way he constantly refuses to acknowledge just how ignorant he's been is the worst bit. I really despise guys like that. It's obvious even to him that he didn't know what the heck he was talking about, and yet he's desperately trying to cling to any point he can hold on to to make himself right.

So now he's NOT saying that Relic ripped off Gears of War completely (which, you know, he still is. He just literally added a couple of lines to his article to try and pretend he didn't, and even THEN he uses the word "might" because he refuses to be wrong), just the gameplay completely.

Any person worth his salt would flat out say "You know what? I was completely wrong. I had no clue that this universe and all the tropes that I've mentioned as "copycatting" actually pre-date Gears of War, in lore, in tabletop game, and even in actual videogame format, and were in fact probably a huge influence on Gears of War, not the other way around. I was wrong, and I apologise."

That's all he would need to say to maintain at least the merest shred of integrity, but he refuses to do even that.

It's really a sight to behold.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That journalist needs to lose his job. Objectively, that article is unacceptable from a professional standpoint.

Objectively, he just brought in a tonne more hits than just a standard preview, or even the plain roasting of a game he originally intended would have.

Why wouldn't they want to keep him? You don't need to care about accuracy as long as all you're after is banner clicks.

subedii on
  • Options
    Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He needs to lose his job because the medium of video games shall never be taken seriously if reporting standards remain unresearched, unprofessional and indefensible. I know subedii's point is rooted in the grounds of reality, but - in an ideal world - the man would hang from his entrails atop a faith banner; a grim trophy of the Chaos Gods.

Inadvertedly, and on a positive note, that article is going to be a massive advertisement for the game itself.

Katsuhiro 1139 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why are people stupid

You should be asking why are people smart.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    His attempt to defend his article in the comments was humorous. It basically started a whole new set of people raging at him.

Yeah, I was laughing at the original article but the terrible defense ("I am only walking into a room and giving my opinion, I've been doing this professionally for 15 years") angered me enough to write a comment but not enough so as to tie my openID to it and post it.

Alegis on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, God-Emperor.

That article was epic comedy, given my first impression (more a suspicion) of GoW when I first saw it was that it looked curiously like an exceptionally dumbed down War40K setting. The sequel only reinforced this, and so seeing this article is to look upon the finest in expertly done gooseshit.

The writer is, most surely, objectively terrible in this. I agree wholeheartedly. The half-assed apology is deliciously inept.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I.. what?

Saying Gears of War is a dumbed down Warhammer 40k is almost as bad as saying 40K rips off from Gears. There's similarities, sure, but there's a lot more bloody differences and most of the similarities are friggen tropes at this point. (many of which started or were popularized by 40K or things that were inspired by 40K, but the point stands)

I mean, hell, Starcraft is way more of a 40k setting-lift than Gears of War is, and nobody gives it shit for that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    God that is absolutely my favourite ever PA strip. By a margin too. I love it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so I'm reading through the new Dark Eldar codex for fluff, and it is making every other species seem awesome except their own.

In this one story you have Space marines invading Commoragh itself and basically beating the shit out of the Dark Eldar and successfully carrying out their mission and in another story you get Orks ramming a city filled with titans with their space hulks

At no point did I get the impression that the Dark Eldar were awesome like I do when I read other factions codexes.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I.. what?

Saying Gears of War is a dumbed down Warhammer 40k is almost as bad as saying 40K rips off from Gears.

No, not quite. I am aware of the history of Epic Games' releases previous to Gears, and looked curiously is not the same as saying it IS a dumbed down Warhammer 40K. I'm not making that comment as a paid journalist nor am I attempting to state a fact by saying it. We disagree? That's fine.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    God that is absolutely my favourite ever PA strip. By a margin too. I love it.

Agreed, it's wonderful.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    time to go read other codexes for my fluff fix

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Warhammer 40k: Galaxy spanning empire, tons of different races, factions, dudes in power armor and chainswords.

Gears of War: Bunch of mutants coming out of the ground, very much set on earth, guys in power armor and chain bayonets?

Saying either is a ripoff is dumb.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I do believe Gears of War got their chain bayonetes from warhammer though :lol:

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    I.. what?

Saying Gears of War is a dumbed down Warhammer 40k is almost as bad as saying 40K rips off from Gears.

No, not quite. I am aware of the history of Epic Games' releases previous to Gears, and looked curiously is not the same as saying it IS a dumbed down Warhammer 40K. I'm not making that comment as a paid journalist nor am I attempting to state a fact by saying it. We disagree? That's fine.

Oh wow, sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything :( I was just saying that Gears really, really isn't similar to Warhammer. By like several orders of magnitude.

EDIT: In reference to Demiurge: I don't think the armor has ever been described as "powered" other than the fact that it has glowy bits. It's pretty much just slightly futuristic body armor. You have me on the chainsaw bayonet though.

EDIT: Also, I didn't intend to imply a 1-to-1 ratio of similarity between you and the douche who wrote the article. Just that blanket statements like that sound bad, no matter who you are. Sorry if it sounded like I meant otherwise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh wow, sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or anything :( I was just saying that Gears really, really isn't similar to Warhammer. By like several orders of magnitude.

In a rather roundabout way, I do agree with that statement...

And I'm not offended; I am really looking forward to Space Marine.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's funny. Before Gears came out and I was watching a preview video I recall a few minutes into some gameplay footage thinking: 'my god, Gears is going to be the 40k game I've always wanted.'

And then I made a pledge that I would engage in depraved sex acts with whomever made a 40k mod for the PC version. That pledge is being taken back. I've been pants-shittingly excited for Space Marine since that video from waaaaaaay back that got yanked.

I think I'm going steam. I don't give a shit about Blood Ravens but steam functionality and free Darksiders is too good to pass up.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Gears of War: Bunch of mutants coming out of the ground, very much set on earth, guys in power armor and chain bayonets?

Huh? Gears is pretty explicitly not set on Earth.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    It's set on one planet though, right?

Warhammer is set on millions of planets

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Didn't they leave it quite vague as to whether this was true or not? In a 'it could be Earth, just a million years in the future after some apocalypse' or something.

I mean, they never mention it being a colony, space travel is never mentioned, their technology is too primitive to do that and yet they are clearly human beings living in very American looking houses (the Dom flashback)

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Guys, guys. . . we're missing a much bigger point here:

40K totally rips off Starcraft.
    Please don't execute me.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Didn't they leave it quite vague as to whether this was true or not? In a 'it could be Earth, just a million years in the future after some apocalypse' or something.

I mean, they never mention it being a colony, space travel is never mentioned, their technology is too primitive to do that and yet they are clearly human beings living in very American looking houses (the Dom flashback)

Epic has said they're not getting into Earth, if it exists or whatever. I think it's just using the concept that humans evolved on Sera in that universe, along with a set of civilizations similar to real-earths: hence the rampent use of modern slang and whatnot. But no, there's no blurb in the manual or games that says "Earth doesn't exist."

Sera (the planet the game takes place on) is definitely not Earth though. But whether the humans are colonists from Earths, or if Earth just plainly doesn't exist, we don't know.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gears takes place on Sera.

Burly dudes in space with guns and chainsaws do not a 40k ripoff make. There are some similar themes but that's just how shit goes.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Plus, Space Marines are orders of magnitude more badass. I mean seriously, they never lose. If they are coming close to losing, they destroy the entire planet, which is a win.

Gears of War spends three games looking at one skirmish on a backwater, nothing planet involving hundreds of combatants. Meanwhile over here in the 40k universe, millions are killed every minute in a pan-galactic everwar with utterly no end in sight.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eh, I could do a friendly argument about which is cooler, but I think I've taken up enough of this thread's time with my off-topic-ness. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Space Marines lose a lot <3

Against the Tyranids I remember a bunch of space marines getting eaten as they tried to help the imperial guard against a planetary invasion

The story describes these "god-like" men clad in armor stepping out of their drop pods and incinerating a few tyranids with melta guns only to eventually falter and get torn to shreds while a horrified guardsman watches from afar

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Da Orks neva lose!

Also, there is nothing cooler than the entirety of the 40k universe :)

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh hey, a female guardsman is in this game

2cs6kbn.jpg

I always had the impression the Imperial Guard consisted of both men and women but this might be the first time in all this time I actually see one

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Plus, Space Marines are orders of magnitude more badass. I mean seriously, they never lose. If they are coming close to losing, they destroy the entire planet, which is a win.

Gears of War spends three games looking at one skirmish on a backwater, nothing planet involving hundreds of combatants. Meanwhile over here in the 40k universe, millions are killed every minute in a pan-galactic everwar with utterly no end in sight.

You're confused dude, it's the Orks that never lose:

Cause if we win, we win,
    If we die, we die fightin' so it doesn't count,
    If we run we don't die neither, so we can always come bak for anuvver go, see!

Waaaaagh!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It makes perfect sense.

There's a reason Cortana is a woman. There's a reason Anya is a woman. There's a reason in the real world the warming messages in fighter-jet cockpits are all spoken by a female voice.

Men are fighting these wars. Men are flying these planes and men are playing these video games. Men respond measurably better to a female voice providing instruction over the radio.

She will be the voice on the end of the phone telling you where to go, who to shoot. Giving you updates about the missions. It's a fairly valid and effective design element.

Plus, fluffwise it makes perfect sense. Why not use the other half of the human race? Twice as big a meat shield. In fact, in a total war scenario I'd expect women at all levels of the Imperium, just not in frontline roles like Space Marines.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As far as I know they're in front line roles in the Imperial guard

There's also, you know, the sisters of battle <3<3<3

34j6fxf.jpg

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like that that IG lady in the screenshot above doesn't have ridiculous boob armor. I mean it might be marginally more convex than the usual stuff (or not? would have to find a male guardsman to compare), but it obviously doesn't compare to those Sisters of Battle. :P

Supraluminal on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They seem to have forgotten to texture that marine's long service studs resulting in some nasty ass forehead warts.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, everyone see the collectors edition stuff?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/27/become-a-space-wolf-with-warhammer-40k-space-marines-pre-order/#continued

Buying this game from EB gives you Space Wolf, and Black Templar armors for mulitplayer.

I loathe Gamestop. But this...this might make me don my armor of contempt, march in there, get this, and march out.

Also, the Best Buy one's seem cool too.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Looks like I'm getting a Golden Relic Chainsword :/

Though Amazon will also probably throw tons of E-money at me again, so that's cool

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WHY DO THEY DO THISSSSS

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like that you never see a young space marine. What's the deal there? Are they in training for the first 40 years of their life, or does the darkly grimness of their existence just age them rapidly?

[e] Or are they just born grizzled and scarred?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
This discussion has been closed.