As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2 - Rated E for Everyone With Parents - New easy map editor and Steam Workshop!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deathwing wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    What's your favorite thing about space?
    Mine is space.
    Dad, I'm in space.
    I'm proud of you, son.
    Dad, are you space?
    Yes, now we are a family again.

Houn on
  • Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    After playing Tag (the DigiPen project that inspired the physics gels), I was a bit disappointed that
    there wasn't a gel which allowed you to walk on walls and ceilings.

I mean, I understand it's difficult to make a challenging puzzle which includes such a powerful tool, but come on. It could be done, and done well.

Maybe the mod tools will allow things like this.

I think that'd defeat the point of having portals to be honest. I can't think of any compelling puzzles they could make with that, outside of "just doing it for the sake of doing it." In which case you are removing portals from the equation which kind of defeats the purpose.
    I feel the white gel in portal 2 serves the same purpose as the blue gel (right?) in Tag, only fitting in the Portal theme.
    It allows you to put a portal on any surface as opposed to walking on any surface. Which is more fitting. There are already light bridges and funnels that use portals to get around. I'd rather see more puzzles involving the current elements than more elements, really.

Where'd my unstationary scaffold go?

And where's my signed copy of 'The girls of Aperture Science'?

Vicktor on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Which pit is the Pit Boss acheivement referring to?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    The one where Wheatly tries to kill you with a ton of spikey mashers. After you escape, he asks you to come back. If you actually come back, he asks you to jump in the pit as he cannot actually reset his trap.

I recommend hanging around first before jumping in (and gaining the achievement) as this is quite possibly some of the funniest dialog in the game if you let him ramble trying to convince you to jump in :D

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A lot of Portal 2's achievements oddly reward you for consciously making bad decisions...

Edit: Late, this tread's a speedy one.

Darlan on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's at The Part Where He Tries to Kill You, after you escape the mashy spike plates and he asks you to come back, come back and listen to what he has to say, and then follow his advice because ponies amirite?

Winky on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    three posts answering the same question

MrDelish on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The one where Wheatly tries to kill you with a ton of spikey mashers. After you escape, he asks you to come back. If you actually come back, he asks you to jump in the pit as he cannot actually reset his trap.

I recommend hanging around first before jumping in (and gaining the achievement) as this is quite possibly some of the funniest dialog in the game if you let him ramble trying to convince you to jump in :D

There's another sequence like this and he has the same response.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    three posts answering the same question

gotta get them cheetos mang

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I've already finished the game and now I need to get my virtual biscuits for being a good little dog.

And for the record Cheetos are horrible. Cheezies are where the good flavour is at.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    After playing Tag (the DigiPen project that inspired the physics gels), I was a bit disappointed that

I mean, I understand it's difficult to make a challenging puzzle which includes such a powerful tool, but come on. It could be done, and done well.

I forget where I ready it, but
    the wall walking gel was in there, but it made playtesters motion sick

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finished single player. Spoilers within
    Overall I thought it was outstanding but the final boss fight sucked, at least until the moon bit.

There was a demo puzzle during last year's E3 that I was disappointed didn't make the final game. You had to use the speed gel to coat a corridor lined with spiked smashy plates and slide through them.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Overall I thought it was outstanding but the final boss fight sucked, at least until the moon bit.

There was a demo puzzle during last year's E3 that I was disappointed didn't make the final game. You had to use the speed gel to coat a corridor lined with spiked smashy plates and slide through them.

They removed mashy spike plates from the test chambers because apparently they were upsetting the play testers and breaking up the pacing of the game.

Though, they did make it into co-op.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

In this game? Really?

Willeth on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I feel like I am pretty near the end of the game now. Still a bit annoyed at PSN being down.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

In this game? Really?

Yeah, that hardly seems like a good reason to remove it from a game like this. :P

Oh well, at least that gives me hope that mods could add it back in. I can already think of at least one dastardly puzzle that would make good use of it.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »

They removed mashy spike plates from the test chambers because apparently they were upsetting the play testers and breaking up the pacing of the game.

It seems like they removed a LOT of things because of play tester complaints. I think their play testers may have been a pack of 5 year old girls.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Valve seems to be a little too concerned with what the play testers think.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »

To be fair, the first game was made the exact same way. Many test chambers were completely redesigned due to playtester feedback.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Hm, since I just finished this game, I have an opinion on that matter.
    I was having lots of fun with the puzzles and even said in the previous thread that I was grateful for the fact that the puzzles were rarely required fatal experimentation and a reload. I was free to experiment because there were rarely any dangers. Wheatley takes over, and suddenly I'm jumping over bottomless pits and dodging spiky mashing things while frantically looking for a place to portal. I died on that part 5 times before noticing the spot RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. It just made things a tad aggravating for me. I was OK with it because the tone of the game changed at that point and I knew I was close to the finale. In that context it was fine, but if there were spiky mashing things in every level I think I would have spent most of the game frustrated and perhaps not finished so quickly.

I think it's terribly awesome that Valve does play testing beyond simple QA to find out what makes the game fun. They will have my money every time because of this.
    iminspace

El Guaco on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The playtesters sound like whiny jerks. I want
    wall walking gel and mashy spike plates!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Krathoon wrote: »

To be fair, the first game was made the exact same way. Many test chambers were completely redesigned due to playtester feedback.

I'm surprised one section survived.
    The lasering the neurotoxin supply lines. It's been beaten into us that portals can't be placed on moving surfaces, and there are even occasions beforehand where surfaces will move and destroy portals. It's really counter-intuitive and almost tripped me up.

Maybe the developer commentary explains it.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Ethereal IllusionEthereal Illusion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's some hilariously absurd sounding dialogue in the commentary.
    Something similar to "Players forgot they had a portal gun in this room because they saw the funnel first." Isn't the whole game about thinking with portals? The playtesters needing to be reminded that makes me sad.

Also, the "we switch the portal colors for you so you can't mess up!" on the Aristotle vs. Mashy Spike Plate section. Even if you forget, you can always looks right behind you...

It made sense for the moon part, mostly because it was interactive cinematic at that point. No way to fix it if you mess up.

Silly playtesters, basically.

Ethereal Illusion on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    El Guaco wrote: »

Hm, since I just finished this game, I have an opinion on that matter.
    I was having lots of fun with the puzzles and even said in the previous thread that I was grateful for the fact that the puzzles were rarely required fatal experimentation and a reload. I was free to experiment because there were rarely any dangers. Wheatley takes over, and suddenly I'm jumping over bottomless pits and dodging spiky mashing things while frantically looking for a place to portal. I died on that part 5 times before noticing the spot RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. It just made things a tad aggravating for me. I was OK with it because the tone of the game changed at that point and I knew I was close to the finale. In that context it was fine, but if there were spiky mashing things in every level I think I would have spent most of the game frustrated and perhaps not finished so quickly.

I think it's terribly awesome that Valve does play testing beyond simple QA to find out what makes the game fun. They will have my money every time because of this.
    iminspace

in regards to your second spoiler.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's some hilariously absurd sounding dialogue in the commentary.
    Something similar to "Players forgot they had a portal gun in this room because they saw the funnel first." Isn't the whole game about thinking with portals? The playtesters needing to be reminded that makes me sad.

Also, the "we switch the portal colors for you so you can't mess up!" on the Aristotle vs. Mashy Spike Plate section. Even if you forget, you can always looks right behind you...

It made sense for the moon part, mostly because it was interactive cinematic at that point. No way to fix it if you mess up.

Silly playtesters, basically.

I think I did that first one at times.
    Suddenly realizing, "oh right, I can go through portals too".

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Damn it I can't nail the Overclocker acheivement. Something is slowing me down. I might actually have to break out a stop watch.

And I forgot to save, and the auto-save has been over-writen. FFFFFFFUUUUUU. Now I need to start at the begining of the chapter.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    valve's reliance on their playtesting is really fundamental to how polished their games are

however, it is also a reason why a lot of their game design decisions, while innovative, are what i would call "safe"

personally i think it always works out for the best

but i could see why people could wish for them pushing the envelope more

either way, i think they did pretty damn well on portal 2

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More maps?

Jakorian on
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I can actually totally see that happening to me.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I can actually totally see that happening to me.

It also makes it easy to get disoriented. I remember that happening in Prey. Still, that is a gameplay element in a way.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jakorian wrote: »
    More maps?

More countdowns, if history is any indication.

ThePantsAssociation on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a ValveARG thing.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    People are going to think that countdown is officially from Valve and then get butthurt when it turns out it isn't.

All in all I think Portal 2's biggest downfall is that it was simply far too easy. Not to go full neckbeard but I guess this is what we have to look forward to in a post Angry Birds world where most people need things to be simplified to the point of being one button clicky clicky.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn it I can't nail the Overclocker acheivement. Something is slowing me down. I might actually have to break out a stop watch.

And I forgot to save, and the auto-save has been over-writen. FFFFFFFUUUUUU. Now I need to start at the begining of the chapter.

if you open the dev console, you can try 'changelevel' command and then switch to the map section. the sp maps start with sp_
    I don't know which is what though, I just got lucky when i tried to go to a section. I noticed a3_ is actually act 2.

Alegis on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They said they were making some thank you video compilation for valve, could be a countdown to that.

Alegis on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Re: Playtesting stuff -

I know I've repeatedly 'forgot' about the portal gun when introduced to a new mechanic - sometimes you focus so hard on solving everything with the new toy you forget about the basics.

And yeah, the reason Valves games are polished as hell and get like 95+% positive reactions is because they have a ton of people testing stuff out and responding to that feedback - again, you probably aren't going to get the most radical designs that way, but you will get something that almost everyone will enjoy.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Portal 2's single player is pretty easy, but the way I hear it, co-op is devilishly hard.

Looking forward to giving it a go this weekend.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    If you
    catch it before it touches ground you get an achievement. I did this by positioning myself far away from one of the glass cube sides, dumping the blue stuff on, and then quickload whenever it didn't go in my direction.

Luckily I only had to quickload once!

Easier way:
    1) Drop repulsion gel
    2) wait for glass to start breaking
    3) Drop water, it stops bouncing, stays on that platform and probably breaks some glass
    4) pick it up
    5) achievement get with very very little trial and error.

@Maddoc: its not that much harder imo. Maybe 3 or so puzzles that left my partner stumped for a bit. Still great fun.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Co-op really isn't too hard, I'd say the most challenging part is communicating well enough. If you play on skype or vent or whatever it shouldn't be an issue, though

it's really great fun though. especially the later puzzles
    I about died laughing on the one where you have to have your partner catch a refractor cube in mid air after using speed gel to take off, and then they bounce up and down to shoot those turrets. i got my partner killed like 4 times

I'd say GLaDOS' insults are funnier in co-op though

Feels Good Man on