As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can we talk about LewieP's RPG column here? It was pretty good.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have no idea how many times I have typod "RPG" as "RPS" since I started writing for them.

Edit: and thanks!

LewieP on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    EDIT: I take it you got a good deal on that? :P

I kind of pushed the boat out a bit, since I've basically got more disposable income than I've ever had before right now, and since I spend so much time on my PC it's worth getting a good one.

Paid £1300. Got:

2.66ghz i7
    16gb of ram
    2x5870.
    256gb SSD.

Tis an alienware. Wouldn't have paid their normal (ridiculous) prices, but I got it from the dell outlet. That means I didn't get to pick out all the components myself (seriously, who needs 16gb of ram?) but I got it at a heavy discount. List price would have been over £2k, and building a simialar spec pc myself would have cost a bit more too.

Arrives on the 6th, can't wait.

Wow man. That thing must put out more heat than the sun. :lol:

Jokes aside, I'd advise you to keep that thing well ventilated, especially in the summer. In winter well, I can almost guarantee you won't need the heating on in your room if you've got something like that running.

At a guess it stands a good chance of seeing you through into the next generation of console hardware as well. What size monitor / resolution are you planning on running with it?

EDIT: And yeah, just saw the article. Guess I should've figured you'd go for Morgan Industries. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Already have a 1920x1080 monitor.

Has liquid cooling too.

LewieP on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LewieP wrote: »
    Has liquid cooling too.

Good grief.

subedii on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone been having trouble getting into the steam store today?

Whenever I try it bounces me back to the sign-in for the community tab.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    trevellian wrote: »
    Has anyone been having trouble getting into the steam store today?

Whenever I try it bounces me back to the sign-in for the community tab.

No problems here. Sometimes something can cause you to be logged out of the websites in the Steam client. Restarting Steam should log you back in.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Close the steam process then open it again, usualy if I had steam open days at a time, it bugs.

TheOrange on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup, that fixed it - thanks lads.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    I rescind my previous statement about liking Metro 2033. The gorilla enemies in the Library are the dumbest fucking enemies. It doesn't matter what difficulty you're on, you have to put a shit ton of ammo in these things, all while they charge at you in tight, enclosed spaces.

It was fun while it lasted, at least.

You can either avoid them or shoot arrows in their face, make sure if you use pneumatic weapons you're 'charged up'

Alegis on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drovek wrote: »
    I'm actually having problems with the War chapter now... I know where I need to go but it seems like the only way to get there is to jump off the upper lever and land on the pipes between the lower level of the subway.

That can't be good for my health. I tried it last time and was one hit from death then a guy saw me and turned and shot me.

Wait, wait, are you at...
    ... the Nazi-Commie War?

If so, the compass doesn't quite work its magic there. It's pointing to where you next need to go, but not the path you need to take (like it normally does.)

I took the lit path to the left, where there are a ton of enemies, after killing them with the pneumatic sniper.

Then just follow it through.
    Just after jumping off the train car's luggage rack, I kill the two guards on my side then there's another track across from a big hole with a bunch of guards who know exactly where I am all the time. I've cleared them all out a few times but the problem is I can't see a way across to the other side, besides jumping down on those pipes in the middle and crossing on the level below. So unless there's a path across or steps down to the lower level that I'm missing then I'm confused (and yeah the compas is just pointing down the track on the other side I can't figure out how to get to)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My friend rented Metro from Gamefly. Sent it back the next day, complaining it had too much story.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    My friend rented Metro from Gamefly. Sent it back the next day, complaining it had too much story.

emot-suicide.gif

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah that's exactly how I felt. I still give him shit to this day. Like if a trailer for a movie comes on and people are talking I'll stop the video and tell him it has too much story.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You want a game with too much story? Mafia 2. Jesus, they won't shut up.

Metro has just enough to string the missions together.

So I got through the Library and the Archives, the latter by running away. They're still terrible enemies.

But hey, now I have a giant full auto shotgun.

Renzo on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    urahonky's friend must hate Mass Effect...

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm actually having problems with the War chapter now... I know where I need to go but it seems like the only way to get there is to jump off the upper lever and land on the pipes between the lower level of the subway.

That can't be good for my health. I tried it last time and was one hit from death then a guy saw me and turned and shot me.

... the Nazi-Commie War?

If so, the compass doesn't quite work its magic there. It's pointing to where you next need to go, but not the path you need to take (like it normally does.)

I took the lit path to the left, where there are a ton of enemies, after killing them with the pneumatic sniper.

Just after jumping off the train car's luggage rack, I kill the two guards on my side then there's another track across from a big hole with a bunch of guards who know exactly where I am all the time. I've cleared them all out a few times but the problem is I can't see a way across to the other side, besides jumping down on those pipes in the middle and crossing on the level below. So unless there's a path across or steps down to the lower level that I'm missing then I'm confused (and yeah the compas is just pointing down the track on the other side I can't figure out how to get to)
    There are some stairs which go down. They are to your left as soon as you come out of the tunnel, more or less where the train car stopped. The soldiers in the car actually walk down those stairs. Afterwards just follow the path.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly how I felt. I still give him shit to this day. Like if a trailer for a movie comes on and people are talking I'll stop the video and tell him it has too much story.

So in other words, you can't finish a trailer for any movie.

It must be hard for him to make it through commercials.

"Oh God! Why are they still talking!"

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

... the Nazi-Commie War?

There are some stairs which go down. They are to your left as soon as you come out of the tunnel, more or less where the train car stopped. The soldiers in the car actually walk down those stairs. Afterwards just follow the path.

Damn it I thought I'd scoured that platform for every possible way to go. Thanks.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God Damn it I've been trying to catch up with the last thread for 5 days now. I can't believe I finally got here.

So Metro 2033, I started it again on Ranger Hardcore, and after a couple (and i mean 8) of deaths in that first bandit segment, I felt like a fucking ninja on the darkness. It's really awesome that way.

Also, turning off Special DoF on the Dx11 options turned the game from unplayable slideshow to super smooth fast a pretty, even with ALL other options on or maxxed out.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stupid double post
    PORTAL 2 ROCKS WOOO

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God Damn it I've been trying to catch up with the last thread for 5 days now. I can't believe I finally got here.

So Metro 2033, I started it again on Ranger Hardcore, and after a couple (and i mean 8) of deaths in that first bandit segment, I felt like a fucking ninja on the darkness. It's really awesome that way.

Also, turning off Special DoF on the Dx11 options turned the game from unplayable slideshow to super smooth fast a pretty, even with ALL other options on or maxxed out.

What did the Special DoF do? Is it like that Unreal tech vid?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

Herpy derp derp. Still two more days. Go go, or something. Free game for minimal effort. Cant be that bad.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just posted my review of Sanctum on our website:

http://zeboyd.com/2011/04/25/sanctum-review/

I actually have Sanctum already, but have barely touched it. I should at least finish the first level. I seem to suck at it, so maybe I should just play on easy.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Just posted my review of Sanctum on our website:

http://zeboyd.com/2011/04/25/sanctum-review/

I actually have Sanctum already, but have barely touched it. I should at least finish the first level. I seem to suck at it, so maybe I should just play on easy.

I suggest you not, honestly.

The difference between Easy and Medium is so huge that Easy is basically pointless.

If you set up two gatling turrets immediately at the beginning of the stage and just upgrade them to max, you can beat Easy just about with that alone and without firing your gun at all.

I still think Sanctum is a little too unfinished and unpolished to really be all that much fun, but if you need some advice for clearing out the Mine (which is actually the most difficult stage because of the bullshit wave 20 Big Walker), I used nothing but lightning turrets, made sure to upgrade my Assault gun to 3 asap, skimping on turrets until then. After that I set up all lightning turrets in places where enemies would have to pass by them twice.

Basically my maze directed them immediately up the ramp, over the bridge, back down through the center portion, around back almost to the beginning (to utilize the turrets there again), back up the center, and into the core.

Always, always, always upgrade Assault and/or Sniper to level 6 because it does way more damage than any turret over time, particularly since you can move with the enemies.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Also, the DX11 DoF makes that game look like butt

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What kind of butt? There are many butts I'm very happy to look at.

Very temped by $5 Amnesia over at D2D. Wish it was Steamworks and I had $5 to spare. What 360 game should to sell...

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'll have to try this. I bought it this weekend and turned everything up and got maybe 20 fps, so I put it down for a bit (got a ton of other games I'm playing right now). I still want to wait until I can focus entirely on the game before I dive in, but I'm curious to see how it'll run for me.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've never liked DoF effects in any game.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Tried that just now, but I can't manage it on Very High settings no matter what it seems.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    High Settings and DX10 work great for me. I've never liked motion blur anyway.

Renzo on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Hasn't comics taught us to never mess with a gorilla in a library?

I9wwm.jpg

I've read that comic.

It's even less sane than it looks, yet somehow disappointing.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Going into steamapps/common/metro 2033 for user.cfg
    and changing "r_vsync off" to "r_vsync on" gives you a massive frame-rate boost for some reason.

I really like this refined film-grain effect this game has on at all times, especially in dark places.
    I wasn't a fan of DoF either until I got a chance to play around with it.
    Really! the more DoF you have the better it looks.
    http://www.proun-game.com/ has the prettiest implementation.

Also the volt driver weapon is so clearly a ridiculous dlc weapon because it just puts every other weapon to shame.
    One-shots gargoyles, 8 ammo per 1 shiny, super effective melee alt fire? Really fun weapon.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, my opinion on the DX11 DoF in Metro doesn't matter because the game is unplayable with it. But it runs really freaking well with it OFF and all other options maxed out. So I'm happy the way it is. Such a gorgeous game.

I usually do enjoy DoF and Motion Blur, when well implemented. I actually LOVE good DoF.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suds wrote: »
    I've never liked DoF effects in any game.

The only game with DoF that I like is Stalker: CoP.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depth of field makes a lot more sense when you can see half a mile but are focused on something twenty feet away. Not so much when you can see to the end of dark, enclosed tunnel and almost everything is within fifty feet.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm fully convinced that Metro 2033 is held together by duct tape and superglue

I decided that the game shouldn't be running as poorly as it was on my rig, so after searching around for tweaks I found an odd one.

Basically, you back up your user.cfg file, the delete it from your appdata, steamapps, and my documents locations so that it's forced to recreate the file from scratch.

Oddly, many of the settings in the user.cfg file are tweaked slightly when it recreates the file like this, as opposed to the default file that is created when it is installed.

Also oddly, and the reason you backup your cfg file, is that it doesn't save any of the keybinds so you have to copy/paste those into the new file manually. If you don't do this, the game doesn't remember what any of the keyboard buttons do, literally.

Between that and setting vsync on (nobody is really 100% sure why this seems to improve frame rate it seems, but there's a lot of speculation, but it all pretty much boils down to what seems to be shoddy coding), I've been able to max out all of the settings, turn everything on, and still get an acceptable frame rate.

Also, fucking with the user.cfg allows you to push the fov out a bit so that your chin isn't resting on the barrel of your gun.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Metro 2033's graphical options are actually pretty terrible. It will list all the different graphical options, but you can only change things like resolution, an overall Low/Medium/High graphical setting, and the AA options. The game runs fine for me, but they really dropped the ball on letting users tweak the the graphics for the best fit.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    While I generally hate to call "consolitis" on anything, Metro 2033's graphical options, or lack thereof, are a clear example of it.

But anyway, that doesn't even matter because I might as well have improved my performance by way of fucking voodoo. I don't even know what the things I did affected, or why they should improve the performance so drastically.

Maddoc on
This discussion has been closed.