As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashpoint : Age of Zoompocalypse

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    There is so much about the nature of Flashpoint that I like, I feel like there is a great story in there ruined by terrible execution.
    I love the idea of the Super-War backdrop, I love seeing how the Justice Leaguers ended up, I love the Flash's relationship with his mother (who is never mentioned again. She might as well have been replaced with Barry's favorite dog or something.)

But then the pacing, writing and plotting is just all wrong.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Do you guys think that
    Captain Thunder is really down for the count? That was a huge waste. I wonder what his mini by spencer would've been like. I kind of hope all of the SHAZAM corps translate into the new DCU, because I enjoyed watching them interact with eachother in their fosterhome.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think so, because next issue will likely be
    Barry and Zoom fighting it out, with Barry fixing the timeline, and it ultimately being that Barry, with his forgotten memories, is the reason the new universe doesn't sync up with the current universe.

Because on top of the Flashpoint stuff there will undoubtedly be a few pages showing the DCnU, 4-5 pages at least.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm sure that will be the case,
    But I feel like we haven't seen the ends of Superman or SHAZAM yet.

Well, I at least feel like we haven't seen the end of SHAZAM. 4 of those kids are still rocking out, and Billy (the times when he was actually talking and his word bubbles weren't mixed with Freddy's) mentioning that they needed to be bonded like a family.

Also did you guys notice the hilarity of the design pages, which revealed that
    the Hispanic kid in SHAZAM was originally white on the drafts?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    I mean, they might show up again, but we aren't going to get some great fights out of it. I thought #4 was going to be the fight issue, and then next issue explains everything that happens to shift in Justice League #1.

Although the way DC are just throwing everyone at books to get them out in time to finish by August 24th, I can possibly see Johns himself just going "Ah screw this, moving on."

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    I think so, because next issue will likely be
    Barry and Zoom fighting it out, with Barry fixing the timeline, and it ultimately being that Barry, with his forgotten memories, is the reason the new universe doesn't sync up with the current universe.

Because on top of the Flashpoint stuff there will undoubtedly be a few pages showing the DCnU, 4-5 pages at least.
    I would love if we see Barry just looking at New Superman and thinking to himself, 'I'm missing something here ...'.

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Y'all a buncha haters.

pygsig.png
  • Options
    Booster Gold #47 ends on a weird note, as if they couldn't throw Jurgens a bone on the right way to end it for either this universe or the next one:
    Booster does reach Barry in London, trying to use the speedforce to fuel his suit to jump into the timestream, but when he gets back to Vanishing Point he forgets everything about the Flashpoint world, but his suit is ripped up and no Skeets.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    Booster Gold #47 ends on a weird note, as if they couldn't throw Jurgens a bone on the right way to end it for either this universe or the next one:
    Booster does reach Barry in London, trying to use the speedforce to fuel his suit to jump into the timestream, but when he gets back to Vanishing Point he forgets everything about the Flashpoint world, but his suit is ripped up and no Skeets.

Also,
    That Alex lady he met, as revealed last issue, can syphon powers from people (and tech too, I believe). Booster and her fall for eachother, quickly because of how condensed the arc is, and she "dies" in the London battle. Then we see that she actually syphoned time travel powers from Booster, and was the one who left the Flashpoint warnings on Rip's chalkboard. So it's likely that blanked Booster can walk right into JLI with few adjustments, and also likely that this Alex lady will be joining up at some point.

But yeah, I was really hoping for a happy ending, or just any ending at all, besides the big "What? Well... that was weird!" that we got. Especially since I thought it was a really, really strong issue otherwise.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

Also,
    That Alex lady he met, as revealed last issue, can syphon powers from people (and tech too, I believe). Booster and her fall for eachother, quickly because of how condensed the arc is, and she "dies" in the London battle. Then we see that she actually syphoned time travel powers from Booster, and was the one who left the Flashpoint warnings on Rip's chalkboard. So it's likely that blanked Booster can walk right into JLI with few adjustments, and also likely that this Alex lady will be joining up at some point.

But yeah, I was really hoping for a happy ending, or just any ending at all, besides the big "What? Well... that was weird!" that we got. Especially since I thought it was a really, really strong issue otherwise.
    A love interest for Booster would be cool. I always thought him having someone in the world who legitimately loves him for reasons other than personal relations or whatever would be a nice addition to the character, because he spends so much time being vilified and people rarely actually appreciate what he does.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    This Flashpoint arc of Booster Gold couldn't have been worse.

Like, even if Chuck Austen or Bruce Jones had written it, it would have been fun in a trainwreck kind of way.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:

Like, even if Chuck Austen or Bruce Jones had written it, it would have been fun in a trainwreck kind of way.

I am trying to think of anything Dan Jurgens has written that was good

but sure let's throw him on a flagship book anyway!!!

• Options
    Furu wrote:
    Munch wrote:

I am trying to think of anything Dan Jurgens has written that was good

but sure let's throw him on a flagship book anyway!!!

Read Jurgens Thor or Captain America runs, there's nothing bad about them. His Protocide arc was as good as anything Waid did for Captain America.

• Options
    I haven't hated Booster Gold's Flashpoint arc at all, I actually quite liked him and Alex's burgeoning relationship like I said

But then I have only really read his recent series and though I liked it the complaint that it isn't the same Booster as fans are used to is probably true. I know that some people don't like him as a hero that only pretends to be self-centred and greedy, whereas I am a big fan of it.

• Options
    Well, having read the other Booster stuff out there, I think it worked just fine this new direction. More emphasis on the time cop, sure, but this ending just felt like something beyond Jurgens control, and shouldn't be completely thrown at his feet.

And this arc was good, just up until this last issue. Hell, the stuff with Barry seemed thrown together at the last minute (ans Leonardi's art seemed really rushed).

• Options
    edited August 2011
    I am fine with Booster Gold, time cop. It seems like a fun, inventive type of character with a really big picture setting to play in, which are my favourite types.

Solar on
  • Options
    Yeah, I've only been reading the book since Blackest Night started, and I have dug every bit of it from Jurgens to Giffen & DeMatteis and back to Jurgens again.

I am looking forward to his JLI, even though I'm still bummed that Winick isn't on it instead.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Yeah I am pumped for the JLI now. I really hope Alex is on the team too, she has a cool pwoerset and shouldn't just be left out

Beside they did release that cover and then removed her which was a cool ittle nod to her time travel escapes and all that

Solar on
  • Options
    This last issue was basically every, "Waaah, I'm Booster Gold!" story Jurgens has ever told, boiled down to three issues. That's the main reason I didn't like it.

Throw in some incredibly rushed art, what was clearly a truncated run that ends in anti-climax, and a whole bunch of Flashpoint shit I don't care about, and this was the worst book I read all week.

I understand people who have only read this run might like Booster Gold, but guys.

He can be so much better.

Seriously, the character that Johnz/Katz and Jurgens wrote in this book, is a sad, pale imitation of one of DC's most dynamic and interesting characters.

Also, I have no idea why anyone cares about Alex. She was basically there to get saved by Booster, save Booster, and then swoon. She has no personality, and is at best a second-rate Amazo.

Actually, if it turned out she was a new model of Amazo, that could be kind of cool.

Get on that, Jurgens.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    "Waaah, I'm Booster Gold!"

That should be his battle-cry.

Or they could just get rid of the time-traveling and ground him in the present again. As far as I'm concerned, time travel should just be an occasional diversion brought about by dudes like Per Degaton and Kang rather than the premise of an ongoing series.

• Options
    To be fair, in the JLI it's pretty unlikely Booster will be time copping much anymore.

Also, I wanted to talk about the week's other Flashpoint books.

Aquaman 3 ended a mediocre book with a pretty good issue that finally gave us some decent reasoning about why this war has to continue
    Diana learns that the whole war has been a political machination between Orm and her Aunt. She personally travels to Arthur's flagship to tell him the truth and try to convince him to stop the war. Arthur says no matter what the truth is, it doesn't matter because Mera is dead. Diana agrees to a duel between them to solve all matters and end the war, but from captivity in the new Amazon HQ, Orm sets off a device that sinks about half of Arthur's fleet, including the flagship. Arthur's science guy panics and sets off the geo force bio-weapon again as the ship sinks. Aquaman is too blinded by how much he hates Diana to accept her explanation, and orders his fleet to attack. Diana flees the sinking ship and heads for the mainland. Arthur realizes that if the Geo-Force weapon is left activated, and continues to sink to the ocean floor, it will eventually wreck and re-shape the entire planet, killing everyone. Arthur decides that his grudge against Diana is more important, and leaps after her, leaving the weapon to doom the entire planet at the ocean floor.

Meanwhile, Frankenstein had an amazing final issue that sealed everything up very nicely and completely restored my hopes for the ongoing. I wonder how much ground from the mini will be covered again in the ongoing, and if any of the histories for Frank or the creatures in WWII will be different at all.

• Options
    Well Munch I think you have a point about Alex

But if she can become and interesting character then like I said the idea of Booster getting a love interest is a pretty good one

• Options
    Oh yeah, Booster in a relationship could be amazing.

Like, if we had the old, total man-child jock reliving his glory days by playing superhero, Booster? I'd love to see that guy try to be in an actual relationship. But well-adjusted, grown-up, I-have-a-terrible-burden-to-bear, Booster? Not so much.

Plus, I really just don't think Jurgens can do it, in a way I'll care about.

I hate to get too down on the guy's writing, because he did write a lot of stuff that I loved as a kid. But, nowadays his work just reads very dry and tired, at least to me.

• Options
    Well like I said I get your fustration. I don't share it because I don't share your history of loving and reading about the character, but I get it. I prefer the latter Booster, but I absolutely respect that you don't.

• Options
    I just want it stated for the record that I don't respect that Solar prefers the latter Booster.

In fact, it makes him less of a man in my eyes.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    *sob*

Solar on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hoping Barry dies at the end of Flashpoint stopping Reverse Flash from erasing everything. He's only able to set up the DCnU before he dies and it's revealed that this was what the white entity intended all along by bringing Zoom back. Then also DC has been lying to everyone about the Flash series and it is really about Wally West and Barry is once again the great dead savior that ushered in a new continuity.

That would redeem Flashpoint's terribleness for me.

Rans on
  • Options
    I loved Flashpoint 1 and 3.

2 and 4 were kind of disappointing.

But by that standard, I should enjoy 5.

• Options
    Was Flashpoint created specifically to set up the New DCU or was Johns foreshadowing it long before anyone knew that most of the series were ending?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Was Flashpoint created specifically to set up the New DCU or was Johns foreshadowing it long before anyone knew that most of the series were ending?

While DC would have you believe that Flashpoint was always going to set up the new DCU, I think there are too many clues that new DCU was tacked onto Flashpoint late in the game. I think the new DCU concept as we understand it right now was only made the official plan in March or April of this year.

Rans on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular

That's hard to say, I mean an teaser was for flashpoint was shown at the end of the 1st issue of the last volume of the Flash (the Johns/Manupal), and one would have to assume flashpoint was known about during/before Flash Rebirth.

Most likely it was the same, just probably was intended for a smaller reset than the whole DCnU schtick

ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Thought of a way to save the takeback of flashpoint 3 , even thought it's gonna get skipped/not used probably.
    The second attempt would have killed Barry, so Reverse flash had to save him, because Barry can't be killed , just depowered and screwed with,

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Thought of a way to save the takeback of flashpoint 3 , even thought it's gonna get skipped/not used probably.
    The second attempt would have killed Barry, so Reverse flash had to save him, because Barry can't be killed , just depowered and screwed with,

Ah god, you probably gave away the whole ending.
    Seriously, if Flashpoint ends with Barry holding a knife to his own throat, gun to his head, what have you, threatening Eobard, I... I... well I just don't know what I'll do.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Wonder Woman 3 was so terrible.

Urgh. It would've been alright if it had came before Aquaman 3, but the whole thing was built around a reveal that in itself wasn't given any time to breathe, and had already been exposed plot-wise in Aquaman 3.

• Options
    DessartDessart Registered User regular
    Aquaman 3 was pretty good though

Booster Gold was alright.

Those are opinions

• Options
    Have Nazis appeared in Flashpoint yet? There was supposed to be an entire nation of Nazis, wasn't there?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    South America is ruled by Nazis. All I saw of them was like, two pages in World of Flashpoint when Traci 13 tried to recruit Natasha Irons

• Options
    So

Lois Lane, Superman, and especially Kid Flash all had great endings.

And Lois Lane led right into Superman, which was pretty boss sweet.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Yeah, Kid Flash was fantastic. Very nice payoff considering.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    the only swerve with the Hal Jordan mini was that there was no swerve. it ended and that was that. boring, but i kind of appreciate not being subjected to some "Jordan fated to be GL" bullshit.