Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The TV Thread: More for Less

1626364656668»

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Gaming is definitely a big deal because of this annoying thing called "HUD and UI elements"--just like if you rely on a particular news channel, a particular app (Netflix is a well-known culprit), if you play a lot of particular game you will risk OLED burn-in. Whether it's better or worse than a news ticker depends on your own habits.

The same cautionary measures apply.

Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    Alright, thanks guys. I went to actually look at TVs and now I need to get an OLED. Maybe it was just the stores setup but the LGs were so pretty. Like I found them noticeably better than the other UHD screens.

In the case of OLEDs, is LG basically the only name in town? From what I saw there, the only model that fits 55" (max size I can go with my wall), is the C9 basically it?

Either the LG or the Sony A9F or A9G. The only difference between the two models is the A9F has a dumb stand that also makes the TV a bit thicker when trying to wall mount it, the A9G has a regular disc shaped thingy as a mount so the TV doesn't lean back. Yes, the A9F leans back. It's dumb and bad.

I personally really like the Sony version and I have the A8F at home. But both TVs look fantastic, and the LG is usually on a much deeper sale. Between the two, the Sony has a faster processor so some of the things you watch might look better, but you probably won't see a difference. They both use the same LG panels.

Two cautions with OLED TVs, though. If you watch a lot of news I would not get one. Burn in is a real thing, I've junked out more than a few TVs after months of MSNBC/Fox News watching from people who didn't know better. Gaming might not be as big a deal, but I'm honestly not sure about that. The other caution is that they don't do well in bright rooms at all. If you can't make the room pretty dark, go a different route because you won't really be able to see the TV.

Model bullshit:
    I said the stand was dumb but still like the stand? Yeah, they changed how the model numbers work between 2018-2019.
    A1E - 2018 model year OLED with the dumb kickstand that is bad.
    A8F - 2018 model without the dumb kickstand and is therefore good.
    A9F - 2019, Has the dumb kickstand, TV model numbers are confusing.
    A9G - 2019, No kickstand, yay!

How do you feel it compares to plasma burn-in? About the same? Not as bad? For example, I have a 2010 Panasonic Viera that I never had any burn-in issues with so I'm curious.

Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 14
    Rtings has a great article about burn-in.

I got a C8 65" LG and I fucking love it. It's so above any other tv I have I feel like a crazy person gushing about it so much.

The burn-in I don't think is as bad as people say, there are a lot of features to mitigate it and reading the Rtings testing of burn-in it doesn't seem bad.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

EDIT: It just looks soooo god damn good. Playing Anthem on it was amazing, the games colors really pop. My SO who doesn't play any games would walk by the tv, stop and say just how beautiful it was. I was kinda shocked.

The one downside, is the blacks are so black in some games it is hard to see stuff, but Windows 10 has a setting for SDR content which helps with that. I actually find it more immersive but to each there own. GTA 5 at night was hilarious as I would actually use the high beams on the cars and Destiny 2 looks amazing on it but they have a lot of dark spaces.

Dixon on
  • Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Alright, thanks guys. I went to actually look at TVs and now I need to get an OLED. Maybe it was just the stores setup but the LGs were so pretty. Like I found them noticeably better than the other UHD screens.
    You went and looked at the OLEDs right next to Sony/Samsung LCDs in the Magnolia room, didn't you? Been there, done that. Crossed the Sony X900F/X950G off the list of TVs to consider as a result.

I did eventually buy an LCD, because 10" bigger and 30%+ less, but I made sure to get one with truly GOOD blacks, albeit not quite up to OLED. I do enough gaming and keep my TVs long enough that the burn-in scared me away.
    In the case of OLEDs, is LG basically the only name in town? From what I saw there, the only model that fits 55" (max size I can go with my wall), is the C9 basically it?
    Sony options have already been covered. In LG land, there's also last year's sets, the B8/C8/E8, which are probably going to be much more reasonable than the C9 right now, and don't give up much in picture quality.

SynthesisLorekShadowfire
    edited August 14
    Senna1 wrote: »
    I did eventually buy an LCD, because 10" bigger and 30%+ less, but I made sure to get one with truly GOOD blacks, albeit not quite up to OLED. I do enough gaming and keep my TVs long enough that the burn-in scared me away.

My Samsung QLED has blacks that are, after calibration, genuinely indistinguishable from from the TV being off in my rather dark living room (and I have actually gotten confused by the two because of my damnable power cycling issue).

On that note, my last two Geek Squad appointments replaced the main board and changed the serial numbers respectively, which led to problems turning on from a long period of rest before reintroducing the power cycling issues again. At this point, Geek Squad is increasingly suggesting that I'm going to have to replace the one part of the TV that hasn't been swapped, the actual panel (in other words, replacing the whole TV). Huh. :confused:

Still, the picture is gorgeous and it has Freesync with Xbox One X. So there's that.

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

My Samsung QLED has blacks that are, after calibration, genuinely indistinguishable from from the TV being off in my rather dark living room (and I have actually gotten confused by the two because of my damnable power cycling issue).

On that note, my last two Geek Squad appointments replaced the main board and changed the serial numbers respectively, which led to problems turning on from a long period of rest before reintroducing the power cycling issues again. At this point, Geek Squad is increasingly suggesting that I'm going to have to replace the one part of the TV that hasn't been swapped, the actual panel (in other words, replacing the whole TV). Huh. :confused:

Still, the picture is gorgeous and it has Freesync with Xbox One X. So there's that.

:bigfrown:

I think I mentioned it before but I was worried about a short in the panel. What a pain in the ass.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

:bigfrown:

I think I mentioned it before but I was worried about a short in the panel. What a pain in the ass.

It is, though perhaps not as bad as that. I'm fairly certain that once they authorize the replacement, as Geek Squad is increasingly certain needs to be the case, they will be obligated to actually collect the unit and move the replacement (installing it on my third floor apartment with the help of a friend wasn't easy, but it was easier than my previous 65" Vizio-M).

Mostly, if it comes to that (which is probably the best I can hope for), I'm worried about dead pixels. I went through 3 Vizio-M sets because I got one without any dead pixel spots (basically a tiny dark patch that wouldn't light up). UHD panels improved since then, and on top of that Samsung's LED panels were built to more exacting specifications than Vizio's, which is pretty reasonable--my first QLED had zero such pixels on delivery, to be sure I looked for them. The panel just went bad half a year later, unlike the Vizio.

Not looking forward to buying a new protection plan for the replacement.

Synthesis wrote:

How long ago did you get the TV? If the agents are dealing with Samsung, you should still be under manufacturer warranty, which means they replace the panel. Like.. the screen. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. The only company we don't do panel replacements for is Sony.

What I'm saying is you shouldn't expend your plan for this. You should still be under coverage. But don't quote me, I don't have all the details obviously.

How long ago did you get the TV? If the agents are dealing with Samsung, you should still be under manufacturer warranty, which means they replace the panel. Like.. the screen. It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. The only company we don't do panel replacements for is Sony.

What I'm saying is you shouldn't expend your plan for this. You should still be under coverage. But don't quote me, I don't have all the details obviously.

I guess I haven't shared that. I took delivery of it in January--and I had 3 Samsung Care visits before I gave up when they announced they wouldn't move further without me actually capturing the power cycling on video, so then I went to Geek Squad. I don't care what anyone says, I'll buy the protection plan on every large TV I ever purchase, because I've used every one of them.

That being said, I'd like you to be right. Geek Squad, by their own explanation, is following Samsung protocols (and their replacement parts came from Samsung, shipped to me and not them)--so even if the new panel (i.e. new TV) comes from Best Buy, it should be under Samsung's replacement plans. The situation is convoluted enough that I might not have to buy a new protection plan (itself a couple hundred bucks), but I might have to. When I first contacted Geek Squad, they noted that it might be possible to get a replacement immediately without following the Samsung-defined replacement policies, but I'd definitely need to buy a new protection plan then (unless I declined protection, which would sound unwise). Maybe not now.

As exasperating as this whole thing is, Geek Squad's been sympathetic (and I've been sympathetic to them). The TV is usable in the meantime, something is just wrong, so I just needed to wait it out. Last visit, it seems like I might've out-waited Geek Squad at this point, since they were now talking about total replacement.

(And imperfections in the panel itself would be immediately noticeable, and terms for rejection of the replacement, I assume.)

Synthesis wrote:

I guess I haven't shared that. I took delivery of it in January--and I had 3 Samsung Care visits before I gave up when they announced they wouldn't move further without me actually capturing the power cycling on video, so then I went to Geek Squad. I don't care what anyone says, I'll buy the protection plan on every large TV I ever purchase, because I've used every one of them.

That being said, I'd like you to be right. Geek Squad, by their own explanation, is following Samsung protocols (and their replacement parts came from Samsung, shipped to me and not them)--so even if the new panel (i.e. new TV) comes from Best Buy, it should be under Samsung's replacement plans. The situation is convoluted enough that I might not have to buy a new protection plan (itself a couple hundred bucks), but I might have to. When I first contacted Geek Squad, they noted that it might be possible to get a replacement immediately without following the Samsung-defined replacement policies, but I'd definitely need to buy a new protection plan then (unless I declined protection, which would sound unwise). Maybe not now.

As exasperating as this whole thing is, Geek Squad's been sympathetic (and I've been sympathetic to them). The TV is usable in the meantime, something is just wrong, so I just needed to wait it out. Last visit, it seems like I might've out-waited Geek Squad at this point, since they were now talking about total replacement.

(And imperfections in the panel itself would be immediately noticeable, and terms for rejection of the replacement, I assume.)

They would. Dead pixels are rare these days, but take a good look at the image after replacement. Sometimes QLED sets have a more pronounced ghosting problem with uniform images.

Yeah, on top of that, I sort of assume it'll be a refurbished set (though I suppose as long as it's newer than January, I'll be coming out ahead) rather than a new one. I'm a little more comfortable with the concept of a "used" LED TV then a used OLED TV for obvious reasons, but still...well, what can you do. Eternal vigilance means always having a protection plan, etc.

Synthesis wrote:

Yeah, on top of that, I sort of assume it'll be a refurbished set (though I suppose as long as it's newer than January, I'll be coming out ahead) rather than a new one. I'm a little more comfortable with the concept of a "used" LED TV then a used OLED TV for obvious reasons, but still...well, what can you do. Eternal vigilance means always having a protection plan, etc.

Again though, unless they just wash their hands of the TV, you'd likely be getting a new panel. That's literally just the glass, bezel, backlights, and TCON. The other parts get removed from your old TV and put in the new panel, and even the back cover moves over. It's a ridiculous waste of time but lol Samsung.

Again though, unless they just wash their hands of the TV, you'd likely be getting a new panel. That's literally just the glass, bezel, backlights, and TCON. The other parts get removed from your old TV and put in the new panel, and even the back cover moves over. It's a ridiculous waste of time but lol Samsung.

According to Geek Squad, they don't do that (and it would be Geek Squad handling it, even if they follow Samsung protocol). In their words, it's +90% of the television, and thus more labor than it's worth.

(Though that's just what they've said so far.)

Synthesis wrote:

According to Geek Squad, they don't do that (and it would be Geek Squad handling it, even if they follow Samsung protocol). In their words, it's +90% of the television, and thus more labor than it's worth.

Yeah, for the TVs under the Geek Squad Protection that's true (but also about to change, fuck fuck fuck). But under manufacturer (which even with GSP, we're collecting from the manufacturer) we still replace panels on LG and Samsung TVs.

Yeah, for the TVs under the Geek Squad Protection that's true (but also about to change, fuck fuck fuck). But under manufacturer (which even with GSP, we're collecting from the manufacturer) we still replace panels on LG and Samsung TVs.

Yeah, I gotta stay on top of policy at this rate. Considering I've had to fix an LG TV, and a Vizo TV, that's not going to change. But for this one, I'll be getting a full swap....so here's hoping the other unit's good.

Synthesis wrote:

Shadowfire