As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Both RTings and CNET publish recommended settings for every TV they review. Those will get you as close to 'calibrated' as you can get without buying equipment and calibration software, basically.

RTings even shares their color and greyscale calibration settings/results, though those are unit specific and not really recommended to be copy/pasted between different TVs.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    @Synthesis I just had a Q8 drop into my lap with the same problems you're having. Already replaced the power, main, and wlan boards.

Why is Samsung such a shitshow.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    @Synthesis I just had a Q8 drop into my lap with the same problems you're having. Already replaced the power, main, and wlan boards.

Why is Samsung such a shitshow.

I wouldn't know. Since I've had almost four months to deal with this, I've run into a guy in my area (sort of--Metro-Atlanta) who has an LG OLED that's power cycling.

Long story short: he's not getting a replacement either. What he is getting is a bunch of contractor and geek squad visits. Think of it as a way to make new friends.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Are you guys monitor nerds here too? I thought there was a monitor thread, but I'm... Not seeing one.

Aaaaand I found it.

BouwsT on
    Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    @Shadowfire do you have any specific thoughts about the Samsung Q70r's? I know you personally like the Sony models but one of the things I'm moving to a 4k TV for is for 4k gaming from my newly built PC with Ryzen 3900x/Nvidia 2080 Super. The Samsung models just have better latency and support 1440p@120hz.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Nvidia doesn't support freesync, and to use Nvidia's VRR you have to use DisplayPort which TVs don't really have. The Q70 is probably a better latency than the 950G and the OLED models, but you're not going to have full support on your TV without switching to AMD.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Nvidia just released support for VRR over HDMI with LG TV's. I'm hoping they end up doing the same for Samsung as well. Still while it would be nice to have VRR just having 1440p 120hz support on Samsung over Sony not supporting it at all really makes Sony a non starter.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think the most "common" Freesync TV option remains Samsung QLEDs combined with Xbox One X. I know that's what I've been using...not all 60 hz Xbox One games support it, but it's a nice feature to have when they do. I think both the next Xbox and Playstation 5 will support it too.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Nvidia just released support for VRR over HDMI with LG TV's. I'm hoping they end up doing the same for Samsung as well. Still while it would be nice to have VRR just having 1440p 120hz support on Samsung over Sony not supporting it at all really makes Sony a non starter.

There are ways to force freesync on Nvidia cards, but it sounds like it's pretty flaky so far. I wouldn't count on it working 100% since it's kind of a bandaid, but I'm sure Nvidia will improve it over time. The LG improvements are specifically with the newest Nvidia cards which it sounds like you have. For some inexplicable reason Nvidia didn't include HDMI 2.1 ports on the cards earlier this year, so those will be supported.

So ultimately? LG OLED or Samsung QLED. Anyone watching this thread knows my feelings on Samsung, but it still may be the best option for you.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Anyone here able to recommend a reasonably cost effective wall mount for above a fireplace? It's far and away my least preferable option for setting up the family room in my house but it's also the most realistic due to the layout of my house. Right now we've literally just put the tv stand in front of the fireplace to try and test various layout options. I have debated ditching the fireplace and blanking the wall but it would involve a bit more renovating than we want to do.

I really don't want to stare at the sky to watch the thing so I guess my best choice will need to be one of those pivot-down types. I have a 55" tv, the mantletop is 46" from the floor and 7" deep. The couch will be roughly 8-9' from the wall to the backrest.

I'd prefer to have the ability to run my Polk S35 center channel as I saw some that offer the option of center channel brackets above/below

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I have an AV setup question. Can you "make" your own HDMI cables like you can with networking cables? Or are they too complex?

I'm trying to figure out a design for my office that I like better, and also reduces excess cables as much as humanly possible.

I guess a second question, like the first, is has anyone toyed with power cables for devices, in shortening them? They're generally just twisted copper bundles, right? I know there's probably a more technically correct way to describe them. :lol: But in theory any device, like console ac cables, should be relatively simple to shorten by snipping them and then reconnecting them via any number of connectors?

Or is there something I'm missing?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Varinn wrote: »
    Anyone here able to recommend a reasonably cost effective wall mount for above a fireplace? It's far and away my least preferable option for setting up the family room in my house but it's also the most realistic due to the layout of my house. Right now we've literally just put the tv stand in front of the fireplace to try and test various layout options. I have debated ditching the fireplace and blanking the wall but it would involve a bit more renovating than we want to do.

I really don't want to stare at the sky to watch the thing so I guess my best choice will need to be one of those pivot-down types. I have a 55" tv, the mantletop is 46" from the floor and 7" deep. The couch will be roughly 8-9' from the wall to the backrest.

I'd prefer to have the ability to run my Polk S35 center channel as I saw some that offer the option of center channel brackets above/below

Sanus advanced tilt mount with the TV pulled all the way out will leave enough space underneath for the speaker usually. I almost never like the center speaker above the TV, especially when it's already high over a fireplace.

• Options
    I have an AV setup question. Can you "make" your own HDMI cables like you can with networking cables? Or are they too complex?

I'm trying to figure out a design for my office that I like better, and also reduces excess cables as much as humanly possible.

I guess a second question, like the first, is has anyone toyed with power cables for devices, in shortening them? They're generally just twisted copper bundles, right? I know there's probably a more technically correct way to describe them. :lol: But in theory any device, like console ac cables, should be relatively simple to shorten by snipping them and then reconnecting them via any number of connectors?

With enough patience you might be able to but... Why? HDMI cables are cheap enough that replacing them with shorter and/or more flexible ones will almost always be preferable. You're not going to get rid of cables with computers, it's more about strapping them with zip ties and hiding them.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

With enough patience you might be able to but... Why? HDMI cables are cheap enough that replacing them with shorter and/or more flexible ones will almost always be preferable. You're not going to get rid of cables with computers, it's more about strapping them with zip ties and hiding them.

Because if possible I'd like to run cables of the exact length so there is no extra cable that needs tied off or hidden. There's no expectation of getting rid of cables, just minimizing management beyond what is absolutely required to get from devices.

I've already got a pretty clean setup, right now, all my cables are hidden, but it's a massive headache whenever I need to disconnect or move one single thing, because the thing under my desk to hold the extra cable that are all tied up, is pretty crowded and they like to get stuck on each other.

Cables aren't expensive, no, but they're all preset lengths and it always ends up with either too short of a cable or several feet of extra. You can get a 3ft or 6ft hdmi cable, for instance, but you can't get a 3'8" cable, so you are either too short, need to move your device, or have 2'4" extra cable that has to go somewhere; and with two pc's, 7 consoles, speakers and so on connected to each other, that few extra feet on each cable adds up.

None of it is required, it's just a thing I'm looking into because I'm curious. I know how to make network cables, I've done it for years. Those are easy. AC adapters should be easy. the HDMI cables is the hurdle. Maybe that one can't be overcome, but I might dork with extra AC cables I have just for the hell of it and see if I can make things the exact length I want.

Since I'm asking though, does anyone have recommendations of hdmi cables that are 1) the newest (2.2?) and 2) not so damn stiff. Last time I redid my office I replaced all my cables with some hardcore cables (not price wise, they were just amazon ones, but really thick and stiff, because I had previously had some issues with bad cables I assumed was from flex and snapping), but it makes running them and organizing them a massive pain, if not impossible, and it makes my receiver be pushed further out on my desk than I'd like.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    The tolerances on HDMI are too tight for DIY assembly. Even if it were possible to get cut-to-length cable the pinout is far more tedious than Cat6.

If your runs are relatively short you should be able to get by with thinner (higher gauge) cables, which have the upside of being cheaper.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Since I'm asking though, does anyone have recommendations of hdmi cables that are 1) the newest (2.2?) and 2) not so damn stiff. Last time I redid my office I replaced all my cables with some hardcore cables (not price wise, they were just amazon ones, but really thick and stiff, because I had previously had some issues with bad cables I assumed was from flex and snapping), but it makes running them and organizing them a massive pain, if not impossible, and it makes my receiver be pushed further out on my desk than I'd like.

HDCP 2.2 is pretty much any HDMI cable that says "High Speed" on it, which should include just about every cable sold in the last 5+ years. Head over here and grab some of the higher gauge cables so they're more flexible. Don't go short, grab cables that are at least a couple feet longer than you think you need. Then grab some of these and a bucket of these to run the cables up the back of your desk and bundle up any excess cabling. Same thing with the power and other cables. Don't go cutting and splicing because, while a lot of it is easy, you'll very easily void your warranty if anything happens.

And, most importantly, it's more work than you need to do.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hey folks, I was eyeing up a reasonably priced tv ($280 for a 43" samsung UN43NU6950), but it's only got two HDMI ports. Should I just be expecting to buy a HDMI switcher, or should I look around for a tv with more hdmi ports?

For reference, i've got to hook up a cable box, a switch, a ps4, my computer, and sometimes a Pi.

edit: (i'm upgrading from a samsung 32" 1080p from like 2008, which has 4 HDMI ports, a bunch of VGA, coax, etc., so it seems weird to have fewer ports)

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Even high end TVs top out at 4 ports with a few exceptions (Vizio for some reason often have five). For more ports you're either putting in an HDMI switch or a receiver.

• Options
    Thank you!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So spent about an hour today trying to figure out why shit wasn't working until I noticed that my new fancy HDMI cables were labeled "Source" and "Display" and apparently that orientation matters?

How long have HDMI cables had a goddamn direction?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    So spent about an hour today trying to figure out why shit wasn't working until I noticed that my new fancy HDMI cables were labeled "Source" and "Display" and apparently that orientation matters?

Some long HDMI runs and "high end" cables have amplifiers in them to prevent signal degradation over distance. In that case, they're directional.

Not that I've ever run a 50' cable through an attic over the course of an hour and a half only to find out at the end that I ran it the wrong way. Nope, never done that...

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Some long HDMI runs and "high end" cables have amplifiers in them to prevent signal degradation over distance. In that case, they're directional.

Not that I've ever run a 50' cable through an attic over the course of an hour and a half only to find out at the end that I ran it the wrong way. Nope, never done that...

I bought a few 20ft cables when I thought I was going to projector my setup but when that didn't happen I used them to replace a few that just died.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm going to buy the LG C9 oled soon. Do I need new hdmi cables for it at all or will my old and busted ones that I'm using for my plasma continue working just fine?

edit: Oh and @Shadowfire I settled on this wall mount. Seems to have both left and right movement along with up and down.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    You might as well if you didn't previously own a 4K display or have devices capable of 4K output, and you plan to do both. HDMI 2.1 cables are pretty affordable on Amazon, just get the no-frills ones.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Do the cables say "high speed" anywhere on them? If yes, keep them. If no, buy new ones.

Edit: if they're going in the wall, make sure there's a C rating somewhere on them (CL1-3, doesn't matter which). Otherwise, again, replace them.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    No not in the wall but they are super old so I'll order a new set when I buy the new tv. Thanks!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    shadowane wrote: »
    No not in the wall but they are super old so I'll order a new set when I buy the new tv. Thanks!

This is for @The Dude With Herpes too; if you want near-custom cable lengths, check it these guys:
    https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cablemob.htm

Bought from them years ago, so don't know if they went to crap but they fought Monster Cable so will always give them a plug. From their letter to Monster:

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's, in form or in function, the better."

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    So I got a Samsung 43" UHD 4k tv and I think...I can't stand it? It just doesn't get bright enough when I'm watching certain movies.

I'm watching the mandalorian and subtitles are washed out. The brightness is constantly changing (despite every setting I've tried) and I just feel like the colors are never quite right.

I've turned off every auto brightness setting i can find, set it to movie mode with standard colors. I'm using the Disney+ app, so there's no HDMI issue. It's maddening. I read a review just now on a website that says:

"This is a decent TV for watching HDR movies. The TV has excellent native contrast ratio but lacks local dimming to make blacks deeper and improve picture quality in a dark room. Furthermore, it cannot get very bright and does not have a wide color gamut to make highlights pop and deliver the content as the director intended."

I just...I'm very bad at this stuff. I was wracked with indecision before i bought it, and now I'm wracked with indecision on wether I should keep trying to fight for a good setting or just return it and deal with this all over again with a different tv.

What makes me the most angry is how when I press the Home button, a bunch of stuff pops up and the screen gets nice and bright, like I want it, but then it goes away when the home button menus disappear.

Elbasunu on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sounds like that might just be how it is, based on the review so probably not you or something that can be changed. Guessing you checked the power settings as well? Are there any of those calibration guides for it?

If you weren't bothered by it, I'd say keep it but if it's not sparking joy, return it for a new set. Will you have to pay restocking?

Yeah it's a pain, but it's an entertainment device so want to find something that you enjoy. Now you know to look for good blacks.

• Options
    You turned off the brightness stuff in the Eco settings too, right? Because otherwise that just might be it. :(

• Options
    Definitely check the settings. You probably have a different model, but the Samsung QFN (?) line of QLEDs are known for being aggressively bright (along with their selling point of aggressively bright HDR), but they feature multiple settings by default that turn that down: eco settings, and adaptive brightness. Game mode also has at least one, but that might be unique to the Q line.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yay, we’re finally replacing the 32” screen in the family room. Free Insignia 50” (1080p) with a furniture purchase. So nothing special, but it’s well-rated and will be a huge jump in viewable area.

Of course, I can’t set it up until the new entertainment center gets here. :(

• Options
    So naturally you buy a new one and then return it when the other arrives....

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    It is the season of many deals. There is too much information out there, and in here. Thread: where should I throw $500ish dollars right now, for viewing / games? I'm leaning towards a plasma because seating arrangements in that room will mean we want to avoid loss for angled viewers, but an LCD that could accommodate that concern is also fine. Dollar amount could be a bit negotiable, if the upgrade is worth it. Emphasis on quality over size, but 50"+ preferred. TIA!

• Options
    No one makes plasmas anymore.

You could get the 55" 6 Series TCL for $599, that's probably your best deal in that price range.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Anyone have any experience with the LG Nanocell 9 series TV’s?
    It looks like the latest firmware for them is the same as the B9 line and that firmware release says it adds G-Sync support.
    I’ve seen a couple of people mention getting the B9 working with G-Sync.

This would really be the tipping point on pulling the trigger on one if I could just verify.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    So I got a Samsung 43" UHD 4k tv and I think...I can't stand it? It just doesn't get bright enough when I'm watching certain movies.

I'm watching the mandalorian and subtitles are washed out. The brightness is constantly changing (despite every setting I've tried) and I just feel like the colors are never quite right.

I've turned off every auto brightness setting i can find, set it to movie mode with standard colors. I'm using the Disney+ app, so there's no HDMI issue. It's maddening. I read a review just now on a website that says:

"This is a decent TV for watching HDR movies. The TV has excellent native contrast ratio but lacks local dimming to make blacks deeper and improve picture quality in a dark room. Furthermore, it cannot get very bright and does not have a wide color gamut to make highlights pop and deliver the content as the director intended."

I just...I'm very bad at this stuff. I was wracked with indecision before i bought it, and now I'm wracked with indecision on wether I should keep trying to fight for a good setting or just return it and deal with this all over again with a different tv.

What makes me the most angry is how when I press the Home button, a bunch of stuff pops up and the screen gets nice and bright, like I want it, but then it goes away when the home button menus disappear.

Just an update to this. I couldn't stand how washed out the colors were and how dark the 4k was, so I returned this about bought the samsung q60R instead for about 200 more bucks. It looks so much better it's not even close. I don't know how they get off selling a tv with such horrible color ratios on it, but I guess not everyone is watching kids shows and british bakeoff non-stop like I am.

• Options
    edited December 2019

Just an update to this. I couldn't stand how washed out the colors were and how dark the 4k was, so I returned this about bought the samsung q60R instead for about 200 more bucks. It looks so much better it's not even close. I don't know how they get off selling a tv with such horrible color ratios on it, but I guess not everyone is watching kids shows and british bakeoff non-stop like I am.

The annoyingly colorful smart TV interface should be even brighter now.

Yesterday morning, I was supposed to get a Samsung Q70R to replace my Q6FN, since Samsung actually approved my replacement the start of November. But fuck you too Best Buy. Even Samsung doesn't text me "We'll be there in 15 minutes," and leave me calling them 2 hours later because they didn't fucking send me a cancel notice.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yesterday morning, I was supposed to get a Samsung Q70R to replace my Q6FN, since Samsung actually approved my replacement the start of November. But fuck you too Best Buy. Even Samsung doesn't text me "We'll be there in 15 minutes," and leave me calling them 2 hours later because they didn't fucking send me a cancel notice.

Why was it cancelled? If they sent you a "we're on the way" that means the delivery agent actually clicked the button on their phone to say "I'm going right now and am X minutes from the client." That part is not at all automated.

I'm sorry this has been such a shitshow for you.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Why was it cancelled? If they sent you a "we're on the way" that means the delivery agent actually clicked the button on their phone to say "I'm going right now and am X minutes from the client." That part is not at all automated.

The fuck I know. The text came at ~10:38 saying "Your estimated delivery time is at 10:50"--which makes it sound like it was automated though activated by some confirmation. Two hours later, I'm calling Best Buy asking what happened (since technically, it's still within the 7 to 1 delivery window). The next day, after a couple of phone calls the prior evening, I'm waiting at line in Best Buy (calling these people on the phone is stupidly ineffectual), paying $20 to schedule a pick-up of the television set and rescheduling for next Saturday morning.

Yeah, Samsung hasn't been great, but fuck Best Buy. Samsung's stupid orthodoxy and rigid adherence to its own rules doesn't even compare. Samsung never told me, "Oh, yeah, we already sent you this replacement part which we said was free, but you need to pay $20. We're sorry, but you need to pay us $20."

Fuck Best Buy. I might buy another Samsung television, but I'm not buying shit from Best Buy again.