As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Even LCD TVs in larger sizes are those set sizes and 50/60" are for budget sets. That's just the standard the industry has taken. Not sure why, though I'm sure it has to do with manufacturing the panels.

I suppose so. Just looking at Amazon, the "least budget" TV I could see at 40" was an LCD was a Samsung TU-800, which is definitely part of their low end, but not to the point of the TCL and Sansui sets offered in the same range, and UHD.

I've never seen a 40" OLED panel. There basically just a zone of dead space between the smaller end of normal OLED televisions, and then a scant number of OLED monitors that are universally treated as novelties and no one can recommend without massive caveats.

• VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    I get it, I mean I don't like it, but I get it.

The downside is in some situations the 65" set just feels enormous, my family room is closer to that side of the range than not. That being said.... 65" OLED would be amazing assuming I can be convinced to try to convince the wife of why we would need such an expensive TV.....

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Even LCD TVs in larger sizes are those set sizes and 50/60" are for budget sets. That's just the standard the industry has taken. Not sure why, though I'm sure it has to do with manufacturing the panels.

I suppose so. Just looking at Amazon, the "least budget" TV I could see at 40" was an LCD was a Samsung TU-800, which is definitely part of their low end, but not to the point of the TCL and Sansui sets offered in the same range, and UHD.

I've never seen a 40" OLED panel. There basically just a zone of dead space between the smaller end of normal OLED televisions, and then a scant number of OLED monitors that are universally treated as novelties and no one can recommend without massive caveats.

The smallest OLED TV is 49" which LG is just releasing this year. Honestly, there's very little reason for an OLED any smaller. Even 4k at sizes smaller than that is wasted if you're not sitting very close.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I assume there's a cost analysis where the people looking for tvs in the sub 55" range aren't super excited about making the jump to OLED prices.

Looking at their websites the cheapest OLED LG sells is $1300 (currently on sale, normally $1600) while the same size QLED from Samsung is $700 and there are several smaller QLEDS available for less.

Even with the sale that's a pretty significant jump in price. I can't imagine the cost of a sub 50" OLED being worth it vs a similarly sized (or larger) QLED/4k equivalent.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    In the market for a TV upgrade this year. Tomsguide, et al generally recommend waiting until Black Friday sale season to shop for sets. Does that still ring true?

The smallest OLED TV is 49" which LG is just releasing this year. Honestly, there's very little reason for an OLED any smaller. Even 4k at sizes smaller than that is wasted if you're not sitting very close.

Yeah. And there's a reason OLED monitors don't sell (actually, a few of them).

emp123 wrote: »
    I assume there's a cost analysis where the people looking for tvs in the sub 55" range aren't super excited about making the jump to OLED prices.

Looking at their websites the cheapest OLED LG sells is $1300 (currently on sale, normally $1600) while the same size QLED from Samsung is $700 and there are several smaller QLEDS available for less.

Even with the sale that's a pretty significant jump in price. I can't imagine the cost of a sub 50" OLED being worth it vs a similarly sized (or larger) QLED/4k equivalent.

I mean I would replace my bedroom TV with an OLED if I had infinite money because I've been spoiled by my main TV, but I also got a stupid deal on a 55" Vizio that I would have never bought otherwise (for a lot of reasons). QLED sets are fine, but the contrast on them isn't as great as OLED. It's one of those things where once you've gone OLED you don't want to go back.

And remember that QLED you're looking at is probably a Q60 which is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The processor on the Q60 is pretty awful, and the screen is edge lit so you don't even get active lighting zones. You'd have to compare an OLED with a Q90 which, again, starts at 55".

JAEF wrote: »
    In the market for a TV upgrade this year. Tomsguide, et al generally recommend waiting until Black Friday sale season to shop for sets. Does that still ring true?

This is almost never true. You'll see sales on black Friday, but the big sales are on the garbage sets that are literally made to be bottom of the barrel. Big size, crap panels and processors. The last three years I've seen better sales on good TVs during labor day, memorial day, the couple weeks leading up to Christmas... BF is all hype.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah Black Friday stopped having good sales decade+ ago. Best bet for sales is to wait till new models are released or close to released. You can find markdowns on the previous years models.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45

I mean I would replace my bedroom TV with an OLED if I had infinite money because I've been spoiled by my main TV, but I also got a stupid deal on a 55" Vizio that I would have never bought otherwise (for a lot of reasons). QLED sets are fine, but the contrast on them isn't as great as OLED. It's one of those things where once you've gone OLED you don't want to go back.

And remember that QLED you're looking at is probably a Q60 which is scraping the bottom of the barrel. The processor on the Q60 is pretty awful, and the screen is edge lit so you don't even get active lighting zones. You'd have to compare an OLED with a Q90 which, again, starts at 55".

My old computer monitor was a 46" LCD which was perfect for a desk size to me. Sadly no OLED in that range, so I'm at a 55" inch now. I've gotten used to it, just had to get it it's own shelf and use a custom keyboard/mouse tray on wheels.

I'm in the same boat now. After getting used to my OLED, I'm itching to upgrade our living room XBR900e haha.

My point was less about comparing the quality of the OLED vs the QLED tv and more about the pricing disparity. I dont think theres a large market for people looking for $1000 40" tvs when they could get something 30% larger for less money (nevermind that the 43" Q60 is currently $530). And thats without taking into consideration the mid tier and lower brands that are producing tvs for even less (Amazon has a 43" Hisense for
    $250.). Is an OLED a much nicer tv? Most definitely. Its also 6x the price.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I mean Samsung had sales on all their 2019 units that started a bit before BF last year and lasted a couple weeks. The prices there were about as good as you could get although availability for some models was lacking towards the end of the sale.

I'm not sure how much more if any the prices dropped than those BF sale prices this year once the 2020 models were out but also you'd be dealing with availability issues by then as well.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    I mean Samsung had sales on all their 2019 units that started a bit before BF last year and lasted a couple weeks. The prices there were about as good as you could get although availability for some models was lacking towards the end of the sale.

I'm not sure how much more if any the prices dropped than those BF sale prices this year once the 2020 models were out but also you'd be dealing with availability issues by then as well.

I also got a pretty amazing deal on an LG OLED during Black Friday last year at Kohl's. But it wasn't because the LG was on sale, it was because Kohl's throws massive amounts of their dumb kohl's cash at you plus you get points. So buying a $1500 tv got me over $500 in fake money. I used it to buy some ridiculous Sony headphones because Kohl's kind of sucks but it was worth it for that.

Incindium wrote: »

As Shadowfire can attest, the six-months it took to replace my Q6FN meant that, by the time I was finally able to do so, it was Black Friday again, and the Q70R I picked up in its place (more equivalent to a Q7FN, but with a year of improvements) was discounted by $300 (the Q6FN had been a quarter off). That was at Best Buy. I would rather get teeth pulled then buy a television from that Best Buy again, but there were definitely Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, substantial ones...they just didn't last.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    A few months ago I mentioned a possible insurance payout for my current TV due to damage caused by a neighbor. Well it looks like the payout is finally coming. I don't know the exact amount yet, but it is going to be split in two to ensure that I spend the money on a TV and nothing else. First half is doled out, then after I buy and provide receipts for the new TV the other half is handed over.

In an attempt to future-proof, since this will be my last TV purchase for a while and I'd like to take advantage of (potentially) a couple grand being knocked off the top of whatever I get, I'm debating between these two TVs:

Samsung 75-inch Class QLED Q900T Series - Real 8K Resolution

Or

Sony - 75" Class - Z8H Series - 8K UHD TV

Now there is a chance that I might be able to get an employee discount through a friend on the Samsung one, so if that's the case my choice will swing right towards that, but otherwise I'm torn between these two.

Any thoughts between these two? I'm basically just trying to get the best 8K TV that I can right now so that I don't have to worry about a TV purchase/upgrade for a number of years.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Those sure are some TVs, and you're going to be splitting hairs between them, I think. Can I throw something else at you instead? Same price range, same size (couple inches bigger but eh). I know I know, it's not 8k, but hear me out!

8k doesn't matter. There is no content aside from some Youtube videos. I doubt there will be much content in five years. But the LG OLED? Unlike both Sony and Samsung's offerings, it has not just one HDMI 2.1 port, but all four. That's going to matter for gaming than anything else because that's how you'll get 4k/60.

I know you want to go 8k for future-proofing, but having only one HDMI 2.1 port is going to kick that right in the ass. Think about it.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Those sure are some TVs, and you're going to be splitting hairs between them, I think. Can I throw something else at you instead? Same price range, same size (couple inches bigger but eh). I know I know, it's not 8k, but hear me out!

8k doesn't matter. There is no content aside from some Youtube videos. I doubt there will be much content in five years. But the LG OLED? Unlike both Sony and Samsung's offerings, it has not just one HDMI 2.1 port, but all four. That's going to matter for gaming than anything else because that's how you'll get 4k/60.

I know you want to go 8k for future-proofing, but having only one HDMI 2.1 port is going to kick that right in the ass. Think about it.

I wouldn't mind using a box for the one 2.1 port, I already have a 5 way splitter on my current TV. Though from what I hear with these two TVs even without 8K content their upscalers are amazing.

I'll be replacing my existing 4k LG OLED that has some minor damage to it (since it isn't completely busted I'll be moving it to the bedroom and hoping it doesn't get worse).

I totally hear you about the pain of only one 2.1 port, but it seems like more of a surmountable inconvenience than something that can't be like upgrading the TV from 4k to 8k.

Edit: I just had a tech-god friend stop by for a surprise visit and he said that the 2.1 ports on the LG OLED are slightly throttled and don't perform at full 2.1 speeds. He mentioned what I did about just getting a splitter for the one 2.1 port on the 8Ks and then said flat out that between the two Samsung has the much better and more robust feature set. Then he said that he could get me a huge discount if I can just hold off until Black Friday, so depending on how the insurance payout works It looks like I'll be going with that.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/

I wouldn't mind using a box for the one 2.1 port, I already have a 5 way splitter on my current TV. Though from what I hear with these two TVs even without 8K content their upscalers are amazing.

I'll be replacing my existing 4k LG OLED that has some minor damage to it (since it isn't completely busted I'll be moving it to the bedroom and hoping it doesn't get worse).

I totally hear you about the pain of only one 2.1 port, but it seems like more of a surmountable inconvenience than something that can't be like upgrading the TV from 4k to 8k.

Edit: I just had a tech-god friend stop by for a surprise visit and he said that the 2.1 ports on the LG OLED are slightly throttled and don't perform at full 2.1 speeds. He mentioned what I did about just getting a splitter for the one 2.1 port on the 8Ks and then said flat out that between the two Samsung has the much better and more robust feature set. Then he said that he could get me a huge discount if I can just hold off until Black Friday, so depending on how the insurance payout works It looks like I'll be going with that.

Short disclaimer: every one of the HDMI ports in that Samsung set supports 4K/60hz out of a video game console (I presume the Sony as well). Samsung's had televisions for at least two years where every port supports 4K/60hz/HDR10. I don't think it was Shadowfire's intention, but it sort of sounded like "You can only get that through the one HDMI 2.1 port", which is absolutely not true. My Samsung Q70R is a technology level behind that, and every single HDMI port in it does 4K/60hz.

Now, for example, 8K/60hz? Different story. Granted, I'm somewhat dubious when video game consoles are actually going to start doing 8K, and even when they do, the Xbox Series X will have supersampling down to 4K the same way the XB1X can supersample 4K down to 1080p (also true for Playstation I assume), because...I don't have an 8K television.

Hope that helps.

edited June 2020
    HDMI 2.1 seems like something I'm not worrying too much about right now. Even brand new AVR's coming out this year only have 1 port in them. I can't find any splitter's or switches that have 2.1 in them. Seems like we are 2-3 years before 2.1 really take off.

As for 8K, I'm not sure who is saying upscaling to 8K is a large jump. Most of what I've seen is that there is a debate over whether 8K is even detectable by the human eye and if it's just a new sales gimmick. This is just the first video I found when searching for 8K upscaling: The long and short is that picture quality is more noticeable than the jump from 4k to 8k. Which is pretty much what I gathered from reading AVS forums as well.

Trajan45 on
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Had a salesman offer me the 65" LG CX yesterday for $2,900 CDN, which as far as I can tell is about as cheap as one of those is likely to be until some big sales season comes up.

Shame I'm not actually looking to buy one right now. Heck.

Varinn on
    So, here's a question very much out out of place in this thread: does anyone have a small (24" ideally, because I'm still sitting several feet away from it) 1080p LCD they'd recommend?

My LG 24" 720p LED, which was cheap when I bought it five years ago, is kind of terrible. Designing it, LG decided "fuck it, why shouldn't it be way forward-heavy?" and it's got a bad lean, along with only one HDMI port, big bezels and a crappy stand. The only compliment I can pay it, besides being cheap, is that it has component inputs (also it survived being knocked over a couple times).

Anyone got a small 1080p bedroom television they'd recommend? No frills required, aside from more than one HDMI port (and component, if available).

Could you use a monitor? I'm trying to think of the last TV I used the tuner or coax for, it's been awhile.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    Could you use a monitor? I'm trying to think of the last TV I used the tuner or coax for, it's been awhile.

It wouldn't have component, it (probably) wouldn't have speakers, it (probably) wouldn't have a remote, and on top of that it would cost more. Considering small televisions are still sold, there's not a lot of reasons to even get a terrible economy monitor and pay more.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just mounted my 85 inch Samsung Q7DR (QN85Q7DR) which was a process. Two questions.

1) I can't find in any of the manuals, or online documentation, which port supports HDR? Or do all HDMIs now support HDR? Is there a 'better port' to run my receiver through?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just mounted my 85 inch Samsung Q7DR (QN85Q7DR) which was a process. Two questions.

1) I can't find in any of the manuals, or online documentation, which port supports HDR? Or do all HDMIs now support HDR? Is there a 'better port' to run my receiver through?

From what I understand, the Q7DR is a "minor variant" of the Q70R (like mine, which is 65"). I think it's an exclusive for Best Buy Canada (which sounds like the sort of thing a lot of TV companies might do, annoyingly). Rtings.com claims that the major difference, as far as they can tell, is the internal speakers are stepped up from 40W to 60W.

If that's true, all the HDMI ports support HDR, and all of them are HDMI 2.0 at "full bandwidth" (though only HDMI 4 supports ARC).

From what I understand, the Q7DR is a "minor variant" of the Q70R (like mine, which is 65"). I think it's an exclusive for Best Buy Canada (which sounds like the sort of thing a lot of TV companies might do, annoyingly). Rtings.com claims that the major difference, as far as they can tell, is the internal speakers are stepped up from 40W to 60W.

If that's true, all the HDMI ports support HDR, and all of them are HDMI 2.0 at "full bandwidth" (though only HDMI 4 supports ARC).

Mine was from Costco, but it turns out you are right thank you. Ran everything through HDMI 4 and got the receiver setup. It was wild that the extended online manual didn’t have it listed.

Anyone have strong opinions on remote controls. The included TV one doesnt seem great.

Mine was from Costco, but it turns out you are right thank you. Ran everything through HDMI 4 and got the receiver setup. It was wild that the extended online manual didn’t have it listed.

Anyone have strong opinions on remote controls. The included TV one doesnt seem great.

Yeah, it's annoying, but I think the reasoning is because all the HDMI ports do everything (except ARC), which has been true for a few years now.

I use a media remote for my Xbox One. You can also use the smartphone app from Samsung.

If you're using a receiver, highly recommend a Harmony remote. The 665 is inexpensive and works really well for most devices.

If you're using a receiver, highly recommend a Harmony remote. The 665 is inexpensive and works really well for most devices.

I had a harmony 650 forever but then buttons stopped working. Looks like my Best Buy has one for sixty bucks, will grab one today.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Harmony Hub is great. The physical remote is well designed(if you get it with one) and the phone app works well. Also integration with Echo Dot so can just tell Alexa to turn on/off TV, switch activities, and even change to favorite channels.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    I got a Harmony One for my mom years ago and I love it, I wish they still made it because its great and I'd like one (plus the battery in my moms has started to swell). I think they released a newer version that got rid of the numbers and added more touch screen but I really liked the number buttons...

edited July 2020
    I got a Harmony One for my mom years ago and I love it, I wish they still made it because its great and I'd like one (plus the battery in my moms has started to swell). I think they released a newer version that got rid of the numbers and added more touch screen but I really liked the number buttons...

Having a permanent battery inside a remote, smart or otherwise, sounds...kind of terrible.

EDIT: Okay, on further inspection, they seem to be removable in a lot of models, i.e. not stupid.

Synthesis on

Having a permanent battery inside a remote, smart or otherwise, sounds...kind of terrible.

EDIT: Okay, on further inspection, they seem to be removable in a lot of models, i.e. not stupid.

Yeah, it's a removable battery. Or at least it was until it swelled to the point where I don't think it can be safely removed.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Yeah, it's a removable battery. Or at least it was until it swelled to the point where I don't think it can be safely removed.

Yikes.

I've got a Harmony 915 which I bought... checking Amazon...in 2013 and it's still good going. Uses a 2032 coin battery. No screen, just buttons.

Someone on these boards recommended the PC program when I couldn't get my TV added which is a lot better. Mobile is fine for basic stuff.

MichaelLC on
    The PC program is far better for just about any need, and Logitech still has the old software up for their legacy remotes.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    We are looking to get a TV for our basement. Any suggestions? I think we are looking for 50"+. Wife likes LG, I like Samsung. Not looking for something super top of the line or curved TV. Just something that will last awhile and looks nice.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Primary question is always what $$$ are you looking to spend and what are you going to use it for? There aren't huge differences in the mid-range TVs these days, but they tend to have different strengths and weaknesses.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I don't think we have a budget per say. Just not insanely expensive. I want to say....$500-800 range? Question mark?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I don't think we have a budget per say. Just not insanely expensive. I want to say....$500-800 range? Question mark?

In this thread, by far we're most bullish on the significantly higher range LG OLEDs which...kind of hover around twice that price at 55", much less larger.

LG's midrange television offerings (with LED panels) are somewhat...mediocre? Ironically, this is where most of my experience with LG televisions has been in the last decade, and there's a reason they don't get brought up that often because they're really not particularly special compared to all the other sets, unlike the big, beautiful, expensive LG OLEDs.

That being said, limiting yourself to Samsung may not be the best either at that price point. Their advantage, I think, is that you're more likely to have basic low-end gaming features at $800 then companies like TCL or Vizio are (for example, Freesync, or lower screen latency, or more robust gaming modes), if that actually matters. But even that's not a guaranteed thing. Sony also has a notable presence in this area, but most of the offerings on Amazon, for example, will be from Samsung. Sony is also kind of like LG in that their mid-range doesn't command enthusiasm for a reason.

You might be better off if you look into the 40" to 50" size, because, you'll be getting a better panel at that price point than 55" and over (though you can definitely get a bigger TV if that's what you need). They are almost all going to be 4K, because pretty much all televisions over a certain size are 4K at this point, it's a perfect multiple of 1080p so there's really no point not to have it. As noted at the top of this page, OLEDs televisions aren't made under a certain size (not anymore anyway), and OLED monitors (almost) aren't made at any size because they're almost universally bad purchases, so you're pretty much "stuck" with LED (though at this size, the panel thickness really isn't going to matter that much, and you needn't worry about burn-in). Some of Samsung's QLED panels are available at that range, which are among the most "feature rich" TVs out there (and arguably the best gaming TVs period, even more so than LG or Sony, if you're going to use it for gaming)...except the smaller models of the Q70 don't necessarily have every feature their bigger brothers have (like my Q70R 65"). Also, they're basically pushing $900 at that point.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I wouldn't push for a smaller panel to get more quality/features unless they are cinephiles on a budget. Very few people in the general public regret going large over higher quality.

Is there a maximum size? Gaming? Do you primarily stream movies/tv or do you like disks?

a5ehren on