As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    I'm still super hesitant about OLED. I'm reading too many complaints about them in general: burn in/image retention, brightness levels over time, and general longevity/lifespan. I'm coming up on 10 years with my current TV and it still looks great. Not sure if the same can be said of OLED? Granted, those complaints could be from early adopters and the tech really has gotten better now...

Here's how I looked at it. I went to a magnolia to look at top end panels and nothing blew me away like the LG OLED (This was 2017). I also thought about my last TV/Monitor that was a Sony XBR4. I had that sucker for 7-8 years and everything, even the crappiest Insignia TV blew it out of the water as the back light was so dim and colors faded, it didn't matter that it was the premier TV back in 2009 or whatever. So I figured that if gaming was a major part of my life, I was probably going to have to look at replacement's every 5 years or so.

With all that in consideration, I went with the OLED. I figured I don't watch news 12 hours a day and I also don't game for 8+ hours a day, so I wanted the best picture quality I could get. Also factored in budget. Unlike in 2009, I didn't go for the best in the line, but the lower end model, so I could save money to use in 5 years on a new one. I use my OLED every day as a web browser (typing on it right now) and gaming, and have not had burn in.

That said, I was comfortable with my decision. If you're the type of person to be checking every week to see if there is IR or Burn in. Or would worry about it anyways even if you don't see it, then go LCD and be worry free.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So I'm looking to upgrade from my 2018 TCL Series 6.

Things I need:
    Decent size (55" minimum)
    HDR
    Good upscaling (would sometimes play from my PC which is generally strong enough for 1440p)
    120hz native (1440p, mainly)
    Atmos support (pass-through)
    A good UI
    Under $1,000

Things I want:
    QLED / Mini-LED
    eARC/Atmos support (via TV)
    HDMI 2.1
    120hz native (supports 4k)

Things I don't care about:
    Speaker quality

I'm considering just getting the current Series 6. Perhaps I should wait?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I'm still super hesitant about OLED. I'm reading too many complaints about them in general: burn in/image retention, brightness levels over time, and general longevity/lifespan. I'm coming up on 10 years with my current TV and it still looks great. Not sure if the same can be said of OLED? Granted, those complaints could be from early adopters and the tech really has gotten better now...

Here's how I looked at it. I went to a magnolia to look at top end panels and nothing blew me away like the LG OLED (This was 2017). I also thought about my last TV/Monitor that was a Sony XBR4. I had that sucker for 7-8 years and everything, even the crappiest Insignia TV blew it out of the water as the back light was so dim and colors faded, it didn't matter that it was the premier TV back in 2009 or whatever. So I figured that if gaming was a major part of my life, I was probably going to have to look at replacement's every 5 years or so.

With all that in consideration, I went with the OLED. I figured I don't watch news 12 hours a day and I also don't game for 8+ hours a day, so I wanted the best picture quality I could get. Also factored in budget. Unlike in 2009, I didn't go for the best in the line, but the lower end model, so I could save money to use in 5 years on a new one. I use my OLED every day as a web browser (typing on it right now) and gaming, and have not had burn in.

That said, I was comfortable with my decision. If you're the type of person to be checking every week to see if there is IR or Burn in. Or would worry about it anyways even if you don't see it, then go LCD and be worry free.

Even after checking what I saw today, it seems OLED is the best in terms of reliability. It doesn't even seem to be close.

The use case where it doesn't seem to work is if you plan to leave it on 12 hours a day on a news station that has a static component.

Even on my LG, which easily gets 8hrs (Mix of TV and gaming) usage a day now that I'm 100% remote. No burn-in or other issues.

Dixon on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The only thing keeping me from an oled is cost. Because seeing them in person, it's stunning how good the picture is compared to everything else.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ah yeah, the new A series OLEDs from LG arrive this year, but I haven't actually looked up what the price points will be. It's meant to be the new entry level models and lower pricing, but who knows how much lower.

I'm not sure how great the Visio ones are as well, when looking at the reliability thing it specifically mentioned Sony and LG as the top contenders.

Dixon on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    So my soundbar, Yamaha ats-2090, doesn't seem to let me change bluetooth devices. It always connects to the last paired device if available, there's no way to disconnect from it's currently paired device, and it won't accept a new connection if it's already connected. The only workaround I've found is too turn off the Bluetooth on the connected phone and then try to connect to it from the other phone

That's how most dumb bluetooth devices work. It's annoying, and there's really no way around it. And it's largely why I don't ever talk about the Bluetooth connection on soundbars when I set them up for people. If you want that kind of functionality you're better off going with Sonos or Bose.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »
    So my soundbar, Yamaha ats-2090, doesn't seem to let me change bluetooth devices. It always connects to the last paired device if available, there's no way to disconnect from it's currently paired device, and it won't accept a new connection if it's already connected. The only workaround I've found is too turn off the Bluetooth on the connected phone and then try to connect to it from the other phone

That's how most dumb bluetooth devices work. It's annoying, and there's really no way around it. And it's largely why I don't ever talk about the Bluetooth connection on soundbars when I set them up for people. If you want that kind of functionality you're better off going with Sonos or Bose.

My random Bluetooth speakers at least have the good graces to just swap to any connection attempt. Can make for some fun trolling at parties but at least it's usable. I was surprised that my sound bar that costs 3x my speakers and has a dedicated app can't replicate the functionality.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    TCL 5 50" was finally in stock at Amazon, actually from Amazon, so I bit the bullet. Well, it will be in stock on March 28th, anyway. $428. I apparently bought the last one in that shipment, too, so...

Honestly I'm wondering if the TCL 4 43" would have been a better bet, since that's available locally, is on sale at Walmart, and is a more manageable size for my tiny living room.

The 40 or 43" or whatever this TV was replacing was already a bit much, and this adds 10" on top of that.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Thoughts between TCL R635 and Samsung's Q80T?

The latter seems to review better but is significantly more expensive.

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »

They're different target markets, aren't they? The TCL 6 is the "high end" budget TCL model, whereas the Samsung Q80T is the middle range premium model from Samsung?

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

They're different target markets, aren't they? The TCL 6 is the "high end" budget TCL model, whereas the Samsung Q80T is the middle range premium model from Samsung?

The Q80T is near the high end, but yeah pretty much this. The TCL 6 is great, but you're playing the panel lottery to make sure you get a great looking screen compared to the guarantee with the Q.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

The Q80T is near the high end, but yeah pretty much this. The TCL 6 is great, but you're playing the panel lottery to make sure you get a great looking screen compared to the guarantee with the Q.

Oh god, I didn't even think about the Panel lotto.

How bad is the lotto on the TCL 5?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just wanted to say it's complete bullshit you need a fucking account to program your Logitech Harmony remote control.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Eh, it's been a thing for a good five+ years, and you can always use throwaway email address. You won't ever need it again.

• Options
    Eh, it's been a thing for a good five+ years, and you can always use throwaway email address. You won't ever need it again.

I'm just an old man who's tired of making accounts for every last thing. I especially hate using Google to sign in, because it's like they own every facet of my life - but that's a longer thread for elsewhere.

We have a Samsung TV that's like....six or seven years old. It has 3D, back when that was a thing. I hooked up a Roku Streaming Stick+ and basically we use it as a streaming TV.

Today I bought a Yamaha Soundbar with wireless subwoofer. My goal was to get everything controlled by a single remote control, an old Logitech Harmony 650.

Then I found out the stick is a RF frequency remote control not IR, so the Roku Control won't control the volume. When I used the actual TV remote (using that HDMI CEC Anynet+ thing to have the TV see the sound bar) I still couldn't get everything controlled by a single remote.

I'm thinking of just buying a straight Roku TV from Costco, but I don't know if that set would let the Roku Control change volume and settings via the soundbar with just an audio out.

Also, I noticed Costco's Roku sets are now made by 'HiSense' and not TCL? What's up with that?

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I'm just an old man who's tired of making accounts for every last thing. I especially hate using Google to sign in, because it's like they own every facet of my life - but that's a longer thread for elsewhere.

We have a Samsung TV that's like....six or seven years old. It has 3D, back when that was a thing. I hooked up a Roku Streaming Stick+ and basically we use it as a streaming TV.

Today I bought a Yamaha Soundbar with wireless subwoofer. My goal was to get everything controlled by a single remote control, an old Logitech Harmony 650.

Then I found out the stick is a RF frequency remote control not IR, so the Roku Control won't control the volume. When I used the actual TV remote (using that HDMI CEC Anynet+ thing to have the TV see the sound bar) I still couldn't get everything controlled by a single remote.

I'm thinking of just buying a straight Roku TV from Costco, but I don't know if that set would let the Roku Control change volume and settings via the soundbar with just an audio out.

Also, I noticed Costco's Roku sets are now made by 'HiSense' and not TCL? What's up with that?

HDMI-CEC is a bit touchy. It's gotten better, especially on newer Samsung and Sony TVs, but it was always kind of hit or miss on whether it would work or not. If you just got the Roku, you could exchange it for a Roku Premiere or Express. Those work on IR instead of the RF that the sticks use. But getting the soundbar to work without its own remote on an older TV is probably not happening. You might get lucky with an ARC connection, but it's very likely to break.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I might not be understanding your problem with the remote, but would these help?

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Logitech-Blaster-Emitter-Harmony/dp/B00ITEPKIG

I use them with my old Harmony remote; one for the TV & soundbar and one for the blu-ray and xfinity box.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I might not be understanding your problem with the remote, but would these help?

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Logitech-Blaster-Emitter-Harmony/dp/B00ITEPKIG

I use them with my old Harmony remote; one for the TV & soundbar and one for the blu-ray and xfinity box.

Nah, the problem is the Roku Stick talks to the remote over RF, so it won't work with a Harmony. You have to use one of the IR Rokus, so Premiere, Express, or Ultra. And those emitters work for the Harmony remotes that have base stations (if you have an old one, I'm guessing it's a 900?), the 650 that MegaMan has is a strictly IR remote with no base. It's the old version of the current 665.

• Options
    Anyone know off hand if one of those Hisense Roku TVs would let me control the volume from the sound bar via the Roku remote and a simple audio out cable?

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Not likely. A TV with HDMI CEC featured would be able to command your soundbar volume if your soundbar has HDMI but I doubt you'll get control with a tv remote from just an audio output cable. If you have cable or satellite though, your remote for that might have independent volume control that could be programmed for a soundbar. I know the modern DirecTV remote can do that.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    I think I rolled a 1 on the panel lotto, guys.

k4dgf6c8z2id.png

e7hylypbfezg.png

6e7ys031mhl5.png

Had to power it off after taking that picture because it was starting to spark.

Lets see if the replacement they're sending me isn't crushed in 7 different places.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    As a modern art piece that's pretty cool. As a TV, not so much.

Good luck with the next one!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Holy shit, that looks like a dedicated delivery person really having fun with their racquetball practice!

• Options
    Maybe it’s a dimensional gate to a better place.

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    I ordered a 65" TCL Roku TV for a family member. We'll see how that one turns out.

• Options
    Holy shit, that looks like a dedicated delivery person really having fun with their racquetball practice!

I don't even have the photos handy of the edges of the box, which were ground off like the box had been dragged across cement or something.
    I ordered a 65" TCL Roku TV for a family member. We'll see how that one turns out.

The annoying thing is they have the 55" TCL 5 locally at Bestbuy. If the replacement doesn't work, I'll be asking for a refund instead.

Having said that, I may have annoyed the Amazon customer service rep taking too long to attach photos to an email, and the order I have for the replacement is a $0.00 invoice paid with a gift card. And I don't have an RMA number to send the broken TV back. Weird stuff.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    I’m in the market for a new TV specifically for a PS5. I’d like something with HDMI 2.1 and 50 or 55 inches. It’s going to be in a fairly well lit room. My budget is under $1k but the lower the better.

Is the Sony X900h my only option? Is the LG Nano85 as bad as I’m reading?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The X900h is Sony's only HDMI 2.1 compatible unit as I understand it. The Samsung Q80T is the current king of HDMI 2.1 among LEDs but that is out of your price range. From what I can tell your sub-$1k options are the X900h, LG NANO90, and Vizio M7.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Butters wrote: »
    The X900h is Sony's only HDMI 2.1 compatible unit as I understand it. The Samsung Q80T is the current king of HDMI 2.1 among LEDs but that is out of your price range. From what I can tell your sub-$1k options are the X900h, LG NANO90, and Vizio M7.
    I was looking at the Vizio but apparently the HDMI 2.1 doesn’t work, despite it being advertised, according to RTINGS and Reddit.

• Options
    Gork wrote: »
    I was looking at the Vizio but apparently the HDMI 2.1 doesn’t work, despite it being advertised, according to RTINGS and Reddit.

Pft hahahaha

Oh Vizio.

• Options
    Gork wrote: »

I was thumbing through a lot of the TV reviews and reddit posts and that "HDMI 2.1 port... that is setup actually as a HDMI 2.0 port.... which we might fix later in a firmware update...." seems to have been a common theme the past few years in a lot of TVs, not just Vizio.

• Options
    It isn't just TVs either. A ton of A/V receivers that were hoping to patch in HDMI 2.1 support with firmware have run into problems.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I think the remote on my Vizio TV has died again. This is at least the second time in 2 years which is pretty irritating. They have a phone app I can use in the meantime but I'm pretty sure we are out of warranty. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what a replacement remote costs but I was curious about any recommendations for a Harmony remote. I only have a TV and and old Yamaha stereo receiver that I would worry about controlling but it would be nice to only worry about 1 remote. And are the Harmony remotes durable? I don't think anything crazy happened to these Vizio ones but they've just up and died.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I think the remote on my Vizio TV has died again. This is at least the second time in 2 years which is pretty irritating. They have a phone app I can use in the meantime but I'm pretty sure we are out of warranty. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what a replacement remote costs but I was curious about any recommendations for a Harmony remote. I only have a TV and and old Yamaha stereo receiver that I would worry about controlling but it would be nice to only worry about 1 remote. And are the Harmony remotes durable? I don't think anything crazy happened to these Vizio ones but they've just up and died.

As mentioned earlier, i have an old Harmony 915 - just checked; bought in 2013 - that's still going, and they used to be pretty well regarded.

I've been fine with a screenless model; using the app occasionally. Looks like they still sell it for $180 which is too much. Newer model is the Logitech Harmony Companion for $125.

• Options
    If nothing is closed in a cabinet you can get by easily with a Harmony 665. They're like $50-60 almost everywhere and they do the job pretty well. If you don't want to go for a Harmony, you can get a used Vizio remote off eBay pretty cheap. They haven't changed their remote codes in like 15+ years so just about anything will work there.

• Options
    Nobody seems to change their remote codes anymore. My Q80T can control the volume of my circa 2012 soon-to-be-retired Samsung home theater.

• Options
    For basic controls like power and volume you're mostly ok, yeah. Samsung (grrrrr) has done some stuff with menu/settings/home/tools over the years that has messed with stuff. And their older soundbars are famously difficult to program with a harmony if you're using more than one input because they cycle inputs rather than being able to select specific ones.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Ok. It's not a 0 on the panel lotto like last time. It's in one piece and it looks fine.

BUT.

ft2jdhkm0bav.png
    ja4d819i3g1v.png
    h4y0waufexom.png

There's 4 dim spots. They're NOT where the VESA screws went in. Also, they seem to come and go... ish.

Not sure if it's worth returning over. Like I said, they seem to come and go. The upper left one also had a dead pixel, but it went away when I tried rubbing away what I thought was a fingerprint.

Thoughts, Arcadians? It bothers me but I'm not sure I want to roll the panel lotto again.

KiTA on
  • Options
    I had something like that with a Vizio. Over time, it spread and became permanent. I would return it.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, those are noticeable on normal content, I wouldn't be happy myself.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185