As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

1848586878890»

Posts

  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I guess if you have both a ps5 and a series x you might want two 2.1 ports on your receiver

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yeah, currently I have a PS4 and PC plugged into my current tv, at some point the PS4 will become a next gen system...which I guess takes up 2 2.1 ports. Guess I dont really need more than that? Cant think of any other devices that would really use 2.1, everything else should be fine at 2.0 speeds?

  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I've got an LG LED TV, from the UK6190 series, from a few years ago. The TV is great, but thanks to cats an a four year old I've got some smudges on the screen. How should I clean the screen? I'm wary of liquid screen cleaners I see on Amazon. LG says to just use a Microfiber cloth. Is that really the best way to clean it? Or is there a Penny Arcade approved method?

    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I always use a microfiber to keep from getting streaks.

    I have at times sprayed a tiny amount of window cleaner on the cloth first after sticky kid hands touched the screen with no problems...but not sure if that's a thing to recommend

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I've been watching a bunch off youtube videos from tv reviewers and apparently a dry microfiber cloth is the way to go, maybe use your breath if its particularly hard to get off. Apparently thats what they do at Value Electronics which I guess is a big deal retailer in the tv world.

  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I always use a microfiber to keep from getting streaks.

    I have at times sprayed a tiny amount of window cleaner on the cloth first after sticky kid hands touched the screen with no problems...but not sure if that's a thing to recommend

    Generally window cleaners have chemicals in them that will eat away the glare coating on monitors and TVs. I don't recommend it. I know it seems like snake oil, but the monitor cleaner fluids are actually the way to go to clean smudges. They do a great job with a microfiber cloth at getting rid of smudges. Otherwise if you're just getting some dust off, a dry swiffer works great.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Butters
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I always use a microfiber to keep from getting streaks.

    I have at times sprayed a tiny amount of window cleaner on the cloth first after sticky kid hands touched the screen with no problems...but not sure if that's a thing to recommend

    Generally window cleaners have chemicals in them that will eat away the glare coating on monitors and TVs. I don't recommend it. I know it seems like snake oil, but the monitor cleaner fluids are actually the way to go to clean smudges. They do a great job with a microfiber cloth at getting rid of smudges. Otherwise if you're just getting some dust off, a dry swiffer works great.

    This is good to know and glad you clarified before someone tried. :)

    Used to use a microfiber cloth on my wiiu gamepad all the time too. They work great.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ah yeah, I remember the one person at work used to clean there MacBook with windex.

    We got the laptop in for repair for another issue and the film on the screen was melted away.

    It looked terrible both with the screen off and on.

  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    So my 77" A80J was delivered yesterday and while I'm still very much in the honeymoon period I'm very pleased with the purchase. Size is big, but not too big (I sit 9.5' from the screen) which was a concern of mine. I was also worried about brightness which seems to be a constant concern with oleds but honestly I havent had an issue. I havent exactly watched anything at noon with all the blinds open either, but thats not something I ever do so no real loss there if it struggles in super bright rooms.

    I streamed The Searchers on HBO Max and was very impressed with both the picture quality and SDR brightness, the vista scenes were super impressive.

    Watched The Force Awakens in Dolby Vision dark and it also looked great.

    Its taking some time getting used to film grain which is something I almost never noticed on any other set, dont know if thats because its a 4k tv or because its an oled...but damn I dont think I like film grain.


    EDIT: Also my speaker wiring has yet to burn the place down so thats great, but the rears are pretty quiet and I dont know if thats because I'm using thicker gauge wire than came with the set or if theres a setting I need to tweak on the tv. But the tv is operating as a second center channel so thats nice.

    emp123 on
    DixonShadowfireTrajan45
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    So my 77" A80J was delivered yesterday and while I'm still very much in the honeymoon period I'm very pleased with the purchase. Size is big, but not too big (I sit 9.5' from the screen) which was a concern of mine. I was also worried about brightness which seems to be a constant concern with oleds but honestly I havent had an issue. I havent exactly watched anything at noon with all the blinds open either, but thats not something I ever do so no real loss there if it struggles in super bright rooms.

    I streamed The Searchers on HBO Max and was very impressed with both the picture quality and SDR brightness, the vista scenes were super impressive.

    Watched The Force Awakens in Dolby Vision dark and it also looked great.

    Its taking some time getting used to film grain which is something I almost never noticed on any other set, dont know if thats because its a 4k tv or because its an oled...but damn I dont think I like film grain.


    EDIT: Also my speaker wiring has yet to burn the place down so thats great, but the rears are pretty quiet and I dont know if thats because I'm using thicker gauge wire than came with the set or if theres a setting I need to tweak on the tv. But the tv is operating as a second center channel so thats nice.

    I can almost guarantee it's something to do with your settings. I used 12 gauge wire when I did my custom setup for no other reason than more power and because I wanted some future proofing if I want to do something stupid like run super low boxes or something.

    Okay TV thread, my seven year old Samsung LED is acting weird as fuck. All of a sudden won't recognize remote control inputs (did whole battery replacement, factory reset). The power button on the back of th actual unit doesn't turn it on or off.

    I unplugged the unit, it turned off plugged it back in and it turned on without any input from me. It now recognized remote inputs for maybe ten minutes. Then stopped again.

    Through all of this, it would not turn off or on via the remote or physical power button, but I could at least get it to open the menu via the remote for short periods of time after unplugging it.

    Fucking weird. Right?

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You can try resetting the TV from the service menu. Turn the thing off, grab your remote, and press MUTE, 1, 8, 2 and then power. That'll open the service menu and you can do a hard reset from there. That sometimes wipes more than what the standard menu does.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
Sign In or Register to comment.