As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE Online: A study in internet spaceships and bad posts

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    90 mil is a lot for a new char

it's enough to get a BC and a new one when you lose that hilariously to rats

PiptheFair on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've done all the first tier career agent missions, got about 3.5 million isk, and all the skills that you start with or earn in those missions to at least level 3. Do I keep grinding agent missions or is there something else I should start looking at?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    you're not in the corp?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've done all the first tier career agent missions, got about 3.5 million isk, and all the skills that you start with or earn in those missions to at least level 3. Do I keep grinding agent missions or is there something else I should start looking at?

You can do the Sisters of EVE epic arc.

Based on my limited experience I would suggest that you at least play the game enough to decide if you want to buy it before heading out to merch space.

You need to buy the game to get access to the voice servers to be 100% effective in groups, and to do that you need to be subscribed for at least three days.

Jasconius on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »

Based on my limited experience I would suggest that you at least play the game enough to decide if you want to buy it before heading out to merch space.

You need to buy the game to get access to the voice servers to be 100% effective in groups, and to do that you need to be subscribed for at least three days.

Ooooooooooooor don't use EVE voice and just use mumble?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited May 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »

You need to be subscribed for three days to register for the goon services which is required to access Mumble.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »

You need to be subscribed for three days to register for the goon services which is required to access Mumble.

I am 99% sure that I'm buying the game. I'm just not sure at this point if I should be working towards specializing and training the skills to pilot the next ship I want or if I should just be getting better at flying the freighter I'm already in and just trying to earn more money. I'm in the Corp., but don't yet have access to the MerchI forums. Do I need to buy the game before I can do that, too?

babyeatingjesus on
    edited May 2011
    I'm amazed that you are in the corp and haven't been killed yet. I was nuked within hours.

Being in the corp you should probably consider Empire space unsafe. You are going to be gatekilled eventually.

If you get to merch space you'll get a relative pile of money compared to what you make in empire space agent missions and you'll get some discounted frigates to do fleet ops.

If you get into the Merch forum there is a great thread that pretty much tells you what you should train and in what order to become self sufficient in merch/goon space.

*edit* to be fair, ALL space is technically unsafe now. I dont want to make it sound like going to Merch space will be a wonderful world of Oz. you have to watch your step. But at least there you'll have easy access to PVP and can salvage after bots and stuff until you get into a bigger boat.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2011
    I'm amazed that you are in the corp and haven't been killed yet. I was nuked within hours.

Being in the corp you should probably consider Empire space unsafe. You are going to be gatekilled eventually.

If you get to merch space you'll get a relative pile of money compared to what you make in empire space agent missions and you'll get some discounted frigates to do fleet ops.

If you get into the Merch forum there is a great thread that pretty much tells you what you should train and in what order to become self sufficient in merch/goon space.

*edit* to be fair, ALL space is technically unsafe now. I dont want to make it sound like going to Merch space will be a wonderful world of Oz. you have to watch your step. But at least there you'll have easy access to PVP and can salvage after bots and stuff until you get into a bigger boat.

This may sound weird, but I can't WAIT to get into a sector of space where I am in constant danger. I used to play Shadowbane all the time and the thing I loved the most about it is that it was fucking ruthless. The idea that I can be carrying on minding my own business and jumped by one or many assholes looking to take everything I have is just thrilling, and makes even menial tasks exciting to me.

babyeatingjesus on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well then good news!

we're going to war with "the russians"

the most scary insane motherfuckers in the game

earlier today they dropped a fleet of roughly 200 supercarriers and 50 titans and essentially glassed an entire region of space

for those who do not know, if you were to buy isk with money(this is illegal and will get you banned) it's about 1 bil for $25

that fleet right there? costs around $250,000 assuming they were all properly fit

PiptheFair on
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    tuna magnate

marty_0001 on
    edited May 2011

This may sound weird, but I can't WAIT to get into a sector of space where I am in constant danger. I used to play Shadowbane all the time and the thing I loved the most about it is that it was fucking ruthless. The idea that I can be carrying on minding my own business and jumped by one or many assholes looking to take everything I have is just thrilling, and makes even menial tasks exciting to me.

I don't think you really get what he's saying. In empire space, anyone who's wardecced against merchi or the alliance can kill you without security intervening at all. It's war after all. And because you're in high sec, no one's got your back and you're making shitty money and flying a crappy ship. You're an easy mark. In lowsec goon space, you're still vulnerable if a gang roves into your system but they have to come into our space first of all and we have an intelligence channel with spies watching our space and reporting where the hostiles are. In empire space, you won't really have any warning aside from seeing them in local chat. And if you're gating to another system, you will frequently find yourself gating into a camped gate on the other side and they will pod you. Also you'll be poor as dirt and only able to afford the cheapest ships and fittings.

So, if that's your idea of a good time then knock yourself out.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Space Russians?

Uh oh.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

I don't think you really get what he's saying. In empire space, anyone who's wardecced against merchi or the alliance can kill you without security intervening at all. It's war after all. And because you're in high sec, no one's got your back and you're making shitty money and flying a crappy ship. You're an easy mark. In lowsec goon space, you're still vulnerable if a gang roves into your system but they have to come into our space first of all and we have an intelligence channel with spies watching our space and reporting where the hostiles are. In empire space, you won't really have any warning aside from seeing them in local chat. And if you're gating to another system, you will frequently find yourself gating into a camped gate on the other side and they will pod you. Also you'll be poor as dirt and only able to afford the cheapest ships and fittings.

So, if that's your idea of a good time then knock yourself out.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm after. As long as I can make net progress, even if it's slow progress, I'm having a gorgeous time. I hate to draw a WoW comparison, but one of the things I hated about WoW is that I felt coddled the whole time. Even if I was killed, the net effect on me was a minor inconvenience at best. None of my work was undone. In EVE I get the impression that overextending yourself will lead to you getting completely fucked, and so if you want to make your way in the universe you have to know your limits and balance risk with reward, and actually deal with some level of consequence to your actions.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited May 2011
    Even if you die 3 out of every 4 times you make a salvaging trip, you'll still be making more money in Goon space than you would in Empire space.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2011
    Can't wait. Need to get into that MerchI forum so I can get some guidance to start out ASAP.

babyeatingjesus on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Can't wait. Need to get into that MerchI forum so I can get some guidance to start out ASAP.

Don't forget to spy.

Foolproof on
    edited May 2011
    It's like you're only hearing what you want to hear BEJ. Lowsec goon space isn't some land of milk and honey where dying is inconsequential and the game goes into easy mode. It's just that compared to being a goon in empire space, you won't be raped as constantly and you'll actually be able to make money but you'll still have to be careful. I'm in goon space and I watch both local chat and the intel channel like a hawk for news of neutrals or hostiles anywhere near where I'm salvaging/ratting/traveling. Being in goon space doesn't make the game easy, it just means you actually have a fucking chance. But knock yourself out. You seem to have a thing for banging your head against walls.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    well then good news!

earlier today they dropped a fleet of roughly 200 supercarriers and 50 titans and essentially glassed an entire region of space

for those who do not know, if you were to buy isk with money(this is illegal and will get you banned) it's about 1 bil for $25

that fleet right there? costs around $250,000 assuming they were all properly fit

I'm pretty sure I'll get more enjoyment from reading stuff like this than I ever would playing this game.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited May 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    well then good news!

I'm pretty sure I'll get more enjoyment from reading stuff like this than I ever would playing this game.

that's a fair cop

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is it out of the proxy war stage then? man, i've been itching to see how goonfleet thwarts the russians once again

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    is it out of the proxy war stage then? man, i've been itching to see how goonfleet thwarts the russians once again

wait, 'again'?

didn't we essentially start out in russian space way back when?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited May 2011
    eh, give me a break. i kinda read up on this stuff only when it pops up on news outlet sites where it's like "damn these nerds got a broken yet fully featured economy and they always warring! something awful nerds in a war with soviet nerds! still images of space ships with no context!"

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited May 2011
    "caption with player statistics!"

it'd be cool to play again one day

Calamity Jane on
    edited May 2011
    it's like playing the news

Calamity Jane on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm currently in my cov ops scouting out CSAA's in Deteroid. Get out your coat hangers!

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited May 2011
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    it's like playing the news

Well there was this article in the fucking NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/arts/07eve.html

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited May 2011
    “Our goal in Eve is to control all of 0.0 space, and when that’s done we’re going to take over the empire one by one and control the empire as well,” he said. (SirMolle would not reveal his real name but said that he is a 40-year-old manager for a heating and cooling company in Sweden.)

AHAHAHAHAH

AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I hear the Russians reinforced H-W?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited May 2011
    that reminds me is sov warfare still shooting poses or what

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Veretas wrote: »
    that reminds me is sov warfare still shooting poses or what

Nah, they came up with structures with even more HP for us to shoot at. Oh and they gave them a second reinforcement timer too.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited May 2011
    Wait what?

Is it like POSes where they need whatever that shit is to go into reinforced or does it just always go reinforced now

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Veretas wrote: »
    Wait what?

Is it like POSes where they need whatever that shit is to go into reinforced or does it just always go reinforced now

Sov is controlled by territorial control units. To put things like cyno jammers in your system you need an infrastructure hub. So now to take sov you need to first put up sovereignty blockade units on the gates, wait for them to online, then shoot the iHub to put it in it's first reinforced timer, wait 36 hours for that to come out, then shoot it again, wait 36 hours, then kill it, then kill the TCU, then plant your own TCU, then you get sov. Stations also have their respective RF timers.

I may have not stated timers and such correctly, but that's the general idea. And all of these structures have massive amounts of HP, so you basically need a supercap fleet to do this.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kill all space russians.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is the Territorial Control Unit (TCU) that actually claims sovereignty in a system.

To take a system, the attacking alliance must drop Sovereignty Blockade Units (SBU's) at >50% of a system's gates. These take several hours to anchor and online.

If there are no stations and no infrastructure hubs (IHub), once the SBU's come online the system becomes vulnerable and the TCU can be destroyed outright with no reinforcement cycles.

If there is a station and/or an infrastructure hub, things take longer. Once the SBU's come online, the station and IHub become vulnerable and must be shot at until they reach armor. This is called the shield reinforced cycle. The station and IHub can no longer be attacked until they come out of reinforcement. The time they come out of reinforced is set by the defending alliance and is somewhere around a 3 hour range around what time the defending alliance sets. For example, a station set to come out of reinforcement at 20:00 evetime can come out anywhere between 17:00 and 23:00. Not surprisingly, most alliances try to make sure this is in their prime time.

While the attacking alliance is shooting the station and IHub, it must also protect its SBU's because they are now vulnerable as well. If enough SBU's are destroyed, the attacking alliance can no longer shoot the station and IHub. Once the station and IHub go into reinforced, the SBU's become invulnerable until the station and IHub come out of reinforced.

Repeat this for the armor reinforcement cycle.

After the armor reinforcement cycle, the station can be taken and the IHub destroyed after finally working through their structure hitpoints. With those objectives taken, the TCU can then be destroyed.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited May 2011
    Yeh, what Baidol said.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited May 2011
    It's like you're only hearing what you want to hear BEJ. Lowsec goon space isn't some land of milk and honey where dying is inconsequential and the game goes into easy mode. It's just that compared to being a goon in empire space, you won't be raped as constantly and you'll actually be able to make money but you'll still have to be careful. I'm in goon space and I watch both local chat and the intel channel like a hawk for news of neutrals or hostiles anywhere near where I'm salvaging/ratting/traveling. Being in goon space doesn't make the game easy, it just means you actually have a fucking chance. But knock yourself out. You seem to have a thing for banging your head against walls.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not going to head to null space in my frigate and smile the whole time I get penetrated and podded. I understand there is a progression to get to that place. Im just excited to get there.

babyeatingjesus on
    edited May 2011
    Wow. That's not what I said at all.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow. That's not what I said at all.

But I can't get into the guild in lowsec until I am level 60 with 133modscore fittings!!

HellaJeff on
    edited May 2011
    ahahahaha oh my god

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg