As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    having some weird graphical issues on my side, a white outlilne around all terrain. lets see what new drivers will do.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So... whoever got my little example of excellent helicopter flight skills, you gonna upload that >.>?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hey if anyone wants to play right now me and stabbity are in the PA JOE steam chat trying to get somethin goin.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You want to know why you should play Arma2 with us? Because we have awesome helo pilots that's why!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MBtVLXia8w
    Join P.A. Joe! You'll do BACK FLIPS in HELICOPTERS!

Thendash on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Piloting jets is so fun. I'm getting the hang of actually attacking specific targets. Still bad with estimating the travel distance of bombs, though.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And front flips?!

hailthefish on
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bastich25 wrote: »
    yeah i have the steam version, gonna keep trying i guess

I assume its because you are trying to join with regular ARMA 2. They are running the server as Combined Ops.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can I get an invite to the steam group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kemlo
    I should be able to join in later tonight

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tried the first mission of vanilla ARMA2 yesterday. It just felt so right.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good games last night. I especially enjoyed the night map (coop) that we were playing when we first started. I've gotta say that Operation Arrowhead looks phenomenal definitely a huge improvement over the base game. Sadly i'm going to be out of town until Sunday but you better believe that when I get back I'll be all over the vent channel looking for more coop. what do you guys think of the ace2 and acre mods? I'm probably going to be installing those after I get back on Sunday.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    ACE2 is pretty awesome. There are some components that can be a bit irksome (battery fetish), but it's still an overall improvement. I haven't played with ACRE much, there are exciting possibilities there, though.

hailthefish on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys remember when I shot that chopper down with an unguided missile.

In other news, I took about 500 screenshots of our co-op shenanigans and will be posting them as soon as I edit them in a respectable fashion.

edit: heres three rough examples

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810025162357029/0DCE29C40F3A15F8B3C9CD108F03B413CC354B87/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810025162358330/B01C80DC1B1D31EAD31AEFCF38D8902EB2470A0C/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810025162348814/53559D775F837421F33BE81AD80BEE248BC09ECA/

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In the last pic, the black sedan on the right makes it look like we're protecting the president or somebody important. But really, that's right before we did the back flip. :P

Thendash on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am starting to actually figure out what I need to work on the most for my heli pilot skills. Patience. There is no need to approach the LZ at 150 KMH. Also, I think dropping the sensitivity on my X and Y axis may be a good idea. I think the biggest problem I have right now is small movements are causing me to over-control these things in a big way. At first it was fun, all whipping the things around, but now that I'm actually trying to complete objectives, the shit is annoying.

I did manage to complete a Taxi Challenge in the Armory with one of those Little Bird choppers (I forget the correct designation; MilSim FAIL), those things are a lot of fun to fly.

Drake on
    edited April 2011
    MH6s (that's the littlebird with the benches) are amazing.

With the bigger helos you have to worry way, way more about inertia. The littlebird is small enough and light enough that you can maneuver really easily without it yanking you around too much. It's not very forgiving about hard landings, though, something I find myself reminded of pretty much half the time I fly.

hailthefish on
    edited April 2011
    Gravity and inertia actually exists in the game, hence why it isn't simple to fly!

Though... oddly I can't fly a helo for SHIT in Bad Company 2, but I can handle it okay in this game. That video might show me flipping the entire squad right backwards into the ground, but previously I'd gotten me and a couple of others to the area just fine. At night.

Arthil on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, every time I try to fly a helo in BC2 it's always a spinning nosedive into the ground.

That only happens half the time when I fly in Arma.

hailthefish on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can I get an invite to the steam group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Evigilant

Just picked this up after watching a few vids. Looks pretty cool and I still remember the original OFP.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Picked up the regular version of this on the steam sale, though I missed the cutoff for picking up the rest of it. The campaign missions are something else once you get full command; I may end up grabbing OA after I have enough fun in this sandbox.

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woo, I am now a pro helicopter pilot.

Also, OA is so much fun, you should get it.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm up for a mission or two if anyone's on, but I still haven't been added to the PAJoe group. =(

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Valaena wrote: »
    I'm up for a mission or two if anyone's on, but I still haven't been added to the PAJoe group. =(

join the group chat and ask for an invite

Doctor Deimos on
    edited April 2011
    I will admit when I wanna be serious about flying a helicopter, actually having real players in it makes me less likely to mess up.

Whereas in the tutorial I just kept jarring the damn thing, landing too hard... >.>

Arthil on
  • ValaenaValaena Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not to sound a dummy, but how do I join the chat? I have no idea how to use steam. =( This is honestly the first time I've ever tried to play a game multiplayer through it.

Valaena on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/darkmayo

can I get an invite as well.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2011
    Not to sound a dummy, but how do I join the chat? I have no idea how to use steam. =( This is honestly the first time I've ever tried to play a game multiplayer through it.

They mean chat for the P. A. Joe steam group, you can find it by going to community and searching for it. Joining chat will be available on the page.

Arthil on
  • VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Through the steam client out of game: Community > Search (upper right) > P. A. Joe > Select "P. A. Joe (PAJ)" from the list > Click "Enter chat room" in the Actions box to the right.

In-game should be similar, but I can't check at the moment.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited April 2011
    Single-Player question: So, there is this mission where they task you with hunting down this one guy and give you access to a helo ride...

...how the heck do you command that properly!? I mean, I know I can point it somewhere on the map and have it try to land but, so far... the results aren't promising.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited April 2011
    Apparently just because there is a learning curve to Arma that doesn't exclude the typical super annoying low intelligence riff raff you'd find on any given Xblive night.

Even still. like an unguided rocket striking the unprotected hull of a hind, I bested them with a witty array of classic diss lines such as: You mad? You mad now dogg? and my personal favorite " I bet you mad, look how mad u is". They didn't stand a chance.

edit the one I hit em up with hard though was "Microsoft called they said that one of their black ops lobbies is missing two douchebros'

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drovek wrote: »
    Single-Player question: So, there is this mission where they task you with hunting down this one guy and give you access to a helo ride...

...how the heck do you command that properly!? I mean, I know I can point it somewhere on the map and have it try to land but, so far... the results aren't promising.

Open up your map once you and your team is inside, then mouse over the location where you want to go and call for transport. He'll move there and land at the nearest clearing, which might be a good bit away, so be ready to walk even with helo transport.

Unless you meant "How do I make him not slam into trees or gently coast down while under heavy fire," in which case all I can tell you is to try and drop further out, or just "borrow" a humvee from the base you start in.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SpaceKoburaSpaceKobura Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow looks great for $8. DO WANT.

SpaceKobura on
    Stuck on a videogame or looking for cheat codes and tips? TipNinjas is a gaming question and answer site run by gamers.

http://www.tipninjas.com
    edited April 2011
    Morrandir wrote: »
    Unless you meant "How do I make him not slam into trees or gently coast down while under heavy fire," in which case all I can tell you is to try and drop further out, or just "borrow" a humvee from the base you start in.

Mostly the former there... Asked him to land and then he tried to touchdown in a place so damn full of trees. That was the first time (we utterly crashed.) Second time it tried to land in the middle of the road, but still managed to screw up the chopper (managed to land in one piece, but it wouldn't start up again and pilots ran away.)

I mean, I completely love the idea, but the game isn't helping itself here...

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can redirect him in-flight if you notice he's going to try and land somewhere retarded, if that helps at all.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011
    The singleplayer is a bit... janky. The game truly shines in multiplayer.

hailthefish on
    edited April 2011
    Anyone think it's no coincidence that ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead went on sale with the new Operation Flashpoint game coming in June?

Arthil on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've got both ARMA and ARMA 2 here, the former with Queen's Gambit. Is it worth playing the former (primarily in SP), or should I just move on to the latter?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited April 2011
    If you already have them, you might as well play them vOv.

I heard Queen's Gambit was subpar, but I haven't played it or Arma 1 for myself, so...

hailthefish on
  • ToothcakeToothcake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Anyone think it's no coincidence that ArmA 2 and Operation Arrowhead went on sale with the new Operation Flashpoint game coming in June?

Eh, it's not the first time the ArmA games have gone on sale. The team responsible for the original OFP moved on to make ArmA. Dragon Rising played like ass and unless Codemasters has decided that it's serious about recapturing the magic of Flashpoint, I really don't see it as a threat. A2 singleplayer may be questionable at times, but multiplayer with ACE2 has been some of the most fun I've had with computer gaming.

Toothcake on
    edited April 2011
    And Operation Arrowhead looks soooo much better than the base game :< Seriously.

Arthil on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    OA has the same bullshit missions we all know and love. <3

First mission, take 1: Entire squad mowed down 30 seconds after landing. Some vehicle with a machine gun on the left flank gunning us down.

Take 2: That vehicle is now... friendly? We move up, lose all but three guys, don't have enough to take the last area.

Take 3: Just one guy down, and this time an Abrams decided to clear the way for us. Mission done.

Echo on