As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    All the talk of lag is disheartening but I'm hoping that'll be fixed soon enough.

Also, screw review sites. :winky:

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    in my experience it's the host whose generating the lag. it doesn't really migrate from a shitty host unless the host quits. we've set up several private matches of about 6v6 and usually it's about finding the right person to host.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    For those (specifically ATI owners) who are experiencing performance issues, here's something that's worth a try:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\5810931\22350\local\base
    Copy the brinkconfig.cfg file, and rename it autoexec.cfg

Lots of options in here, but I may have found a winning combination that will hopefully benefit your game as much as has mine. Won't make the game super pretty, but it should be much more playable for now.

Delete the contents of your newly renamed autoexec.cfg file, and paste this in there.
    seta image_anisotropy "0"
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
    seta image_lodbias "0"
    seta r_useShadowInfinite "0"
    seta r_softParticles "0"
    seta r_swapInterval "0"
    seta r_useShadowMaps "0"
    seta r_shadows "0"
    seta r_shadowsHighQuality "0"
    seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "0"
    seta com_showFPS "1"
    seta r_shaderQuality "2"
    seta r_visDistMult "0.6"
    seta r_useShadowFastParallel "1"
    seta r_softParticles "0"
    seta r_swapInterval "0"
    seta r_useAntiAliasing "0"
    seta r_useMotionBlur "0"
    seta r_useHBAO "0"
    seta r_skipPrePass "0"
    seta r_useDitherMask "0"
    seta r_useAlphaToCoverage "0"
    seta r_shaderPreferALU "1"
    seta r_normalizeNormalMaps "0"
    seta r_shaderSkipSpecCubeMaps "1"
    seta r_skipStuff "1"

//Optional
    seta com_allowConsole "1"
    seta m_smooth "0"
    seta m_rawInput "1"
    seta s_enable_voice "0"
    seta s_enable_mic "0"

Also included are a few extra commands that should improve your mouse movement and turn off VOIP. If you're still having somewhat poor performance, you can also increase your "image_lodbias "0". Higher values will make textures look muddier, but if your graphics card is low on texture memory, it may help (try 1 or 2).

YMMV of course, and if anyone has any additional settings that improve performance, please feel free to share them and or let me know. I'll go ahead and post this in the OP once it's been confirmed that it does help people.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    for me this game is like eating a really delicious candy bar but half the time i bite into it instead of peanut butter it's full of ants and shit and i have to drop it and find another candy bar

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Why would you want to turn off voice chat? Is there something wrong with it?

Peewi on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find this game amazingly fun and entertaining, but its not the epitome of shooting grandeur that apparently some people were expecting. :p I in no way regret the money I spent on it, and expect to play it thoroughly for a good long while.

Some tips I found for 2starring the Objective map is to grab an AR with a Drum Magazine, wait for them to have a fresh rezz wave, then try to down them all without killing them. Bring a revolver too if you can to finish them off once you unload your entire drum clip in them. If you can kill the medics they will still wait around for a good while before they release giving you time to hack the machine. Also you don't have to stand there to finish the hack, you can move away a bit its just slower the farther from the machine you get.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    From what I've been able to play its awesome. But I'm still having that goddamn graphics issue where my shit turns blue every now and then. It doesn't even happen during the "singleplayer". ATI or Brink better get their shit together.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dudes, is the single-player good enough to warrent a purchase? I don't expect Borderlands or anything, but I don't believe I'll be mping this for a while.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Dudes, is the single-player good enough to warrent a purchase? I don't expect Borderlands or anything, but I don't believe I'll be mping this for a while.

The single player is you versus bots. I would pass on purchasing this just for the single player. It is primarily a multiplayer game, and it will be lacking a LOT in only single player.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

The single player is you versus bots. I would pass on purchasing this just for the single player. It is primarily a multiplayer game, and it will be lacking a LOT in only single player.

Ah. Thanks for the heads up. Borderlands has spoiled the crap out of me. When mp gets streamlined I might jump into this eventually.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    FYI 360 Mans: Installing to HD does wonders for just about everything in the game. There should probably a note in the next OP telling everyone that is playing on 360 to install it. Preferably limed.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    fsmith1 wrote: »
    FYI 360 Mans: Installing to HD does wonders for just about everything in the game. There should probably a note in the next OP telling everyone that is playing on 360 to install it. Preferably limed.

Doesn't fix the lag though, the host system thats in place is CRAP and even if a vastly superior host enters into a lobby it won't migrate till the old host leaves. Also it doesn't fix the lack of a party system and lack of party matchmaking system.

Lets seee.....Team based multiplayer game...

Checklist:

1) Make sure game has multiplayer
    2) Make sure game has way for TEAMS to enter into the TEAM BASED MULTIPLAYER

Fuck you brink, fuck you so hard.

Its like the devs thought that everyone loves playing with random people and they would never ever EVER in a million years enjoy playing with people they know in groups. Halo 2 matchmaking? We never heard of that, here try our cobbled together piece of shit system for finding games.

Soooo glad I got to try this before buying it on the 360, unless the price drops down to $30 in the next week or they patch the game to include a party system and fix the lag/host selection issues I am not buying this.

I don't want to do private games against people I know, I want to take a group of people I know and slap them up against a group of randomly selected humans be them in a party together or a bunch of pubbies slapped together. If the game lacks this feature I do not wish to own it, and don't even start with that halfassed "fireteam" system thats in there.

iRevert on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know it kind of sounds like they built the game on the PC and ported it to the console...crappy PC port? I am slightly amused but also feeling bad that i now am hearing the true reason for some of those negative reviews.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's funny that you hear all these gushing preview pieces but when the game finally comes out "Six :|"
    It'd lead people to believe that the devs let these guys play one game and then Teehee'd a totally different game onto store shelves

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm watching a stream of some guy playing the campaign. He's online, at least half his team is human, and he doesn't realize it. He thinks he's playing single-player.

SvK on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    6.0 from Gamespot... damn

Once again, a review based off the 360 version, as he complains about graphics issues that dont exist in the PC version. They actually dont have a review of the PC version at all on gamespot.

It appears that there were no review copies for the PC version.
    With only one version of the game being functional for reviews, every member of the press was given the 360 version.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/why-were-not-review-brink-and-why-you-shouldnt-buy-it-yet.ars

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They didnt push a patch through steam last night did they? I'm playing it this morning and its fantastic. No sound cutting out and it had a stuttering feeling before thats gone now.

The stuttering might have been network latency... but it kinda felt the same when I tried solo to test that theory.

I know my PC is top notch. Kinda reminds me of battlefield games at first... except its only been a day and I dont think there was any patch. Oh well, its playing fantastic now and after doing lots of the objective challenges the game is becoming pretty addictive.

There are so many little balance tweaks I'm noticing too with how great the supply system works for abilities. Playing medic doesn't feel overpowered, but it still provides a great deal of support. Can't just infinitely heal and carry a team, but can still heal other smart players who dont go try to soak up every bullet in sight.

The only real con I'm seeing in this game now is the story and campaign... its just weird and disjoined. Of course very few FPS have a story that worth a fuck anyway. Its very similar the Bad Company's single player campaign as just a longer tutorial to the multiplayer.... except without the humor that made Bad Company's rather fun.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If they're all reviewing 360 copies, that would explain a lot of the disconnect between what they're seeing and what I'm seeing.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think there might have been a server patch. That and the full day has given time for dedicated servers to become numerous and properly setep, so that has removed some of the lag/performance issues for PC players.

The server browser is still laggy as fuck though. No idea why.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    the server browser is pretty poor, honestly

I was only able to favorite tag the PA servers by searching for servers that I had friends playing on

I still might not even have all of them tagged

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The server browser can't possibly be any worse than Bad Company 2's at launch.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    The server browser can't possibly be any worse than Bad Company 2's at launch.

It isn't, not by a long shot. It took them several months and a bunch of patches later just to get the fucking ping to show up correctly.

It still doesn't show up correctly sometimes even now.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SlickMcShineSlickMcShine Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Badwrong wrote: »
    They didnt push a patch through steam last night did they? I'm playing it this morning and its fantastic. No sound cutting out and it had a stuttering feeling before thats gone now.

The stuttering might have been network latency... but it kinda felt the same when I tried solo to test that theory.

I know my PC is top notch. Kinda reminds me of battlefield games at first... except its only been a day and I dont think there was any patch. Oh well, its playing fantastic now and after doing lots of the objective challenges the game is becoming pretty addictive.

There are so many little balance tweaks I'm noticing too with how great the supply system works for abilities. Playing medic doesn't feel overpowered, but it still provides a great deal of support. Can't just infinitely heal and carry a team, but can still heal other smart players who dont go try to soak up every bullet in sight.

The only real con I'm seeing in this game now is the story and campaign... its just weird and disjoined. Of course very few FPS have a story that worth a fuck anyway. Its very similar the Bad Company's single player campaign as just a longer tutorial to the multiplayer.... except without the humor that made Bad Company's rather fun.

You should be able to check by right clicking the game in steam, going to properties, updates tab, view brink update history. I can't as I cant get into the properties page as the game isn't unlocked for me but you should be able to.

Edit: Edit: I'm some what curious to see what the PC gaming specific mags say about the game. Currently waiting on PC Gamer to do a review. They haven’t yet so I assume they either dont have a copy yet or are in the process of doing it.

SlickMcShine on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah I played last night on 360 after having installed, I'm apparently playing an entirely different game than joystick/ign/1up.

I had fun, would pewpewpewlazors again.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah I played last night on 360 after having installed, I'm apparently playing an entirely different game than joystick/ign/1up.

So would you say that installing Brink to HD is a must?

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    gastr0cnemesisgastr0cnemesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Steel-Lion wrote: »

So would you say that installing Brink to HD is a must?

I installed on my Xbox and had minimal texture pop (apparently it's bad if you don't install). Now if they would just fix the sad excuse for a lobby. I also had problems connecting to a friend's game. Took me 6-7 tries to get in, while another got in right away.

From what I played last night, so far it's just ok. I unlocked the light body type and loved bouncing off walls and finding new places to go that other body types couldn't get to. The shooting feels somewhat sluggish to me and I couldn't do anything with grenades. I feel like there's a good game in here somewhere.

gastr0cnemesis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I really like it, I'd like to unlock the light body type before really getting a feel for this game, and having the performance issues fixed. It's enemy territory through and through - that's a good thing.

It seems smaller in scope than Quake Wars, more focused. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it did get me to reinstall Quake Wars last night.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

How big is the install? I'm reaching the limit on my HD.

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Played a bunch of Light last night, really enjoying that body type a lot more than I thought I would. The smaller hitboxes and faster speed do seem to mitigate your frailty a bit, though in a stand up firefight you'll still go down fast to a heavy.

I'll put up a new thread Brink thread in a little while, assuming we reach the limit by then (which it looks like we will).

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    May as well do the new thread now, we're only a couple of posts away from 100 pages.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    May as well do the new thread now, we're only a couple of posts away from 100 pages.

Just make sure that page 100 post says "Brink on the 360 can suck a big floppy donkey dick" and we're good to go.

I'm still just baffled at how they can make a team based game and then neglect to include any "get a team together and go into games" support into it.

EDIT:

I'm on the [BRINK] of tracking down and sodomizing the X360 devs

iRevert on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh god. Last night was equal parts awesome and terrible. I was playing on the ParkparkPark server, and managed to get away with the final objective. Died right behind one dude who was just sniping away the whole match, he picked up the objective, ran back towards the enemy spawn, and stood there sniping until he was wiped out by 5-6 of the other team. D:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I am really digging this game; I finished all the two-star challenges last night and I look forward the online stuff.

Here are some questions though:

1. I thought there was a way to change weapon skins? Am I missing it somewhere? I know that the skin changes when you switch factions, but is there another way?

2. I can't tell if I'm impacted by performance issues or not; I'm running two 6870's in CrossFireX and it's very playable, but I was expecting closer to 60 frames, but I thought someone said it's locked at 30? Truth to that?

3. Does anyone know if you can kind just keypad enter? I tried it... but it only registers if I use the actual enter key. Anyone know of an config file changes for this?

Finally, how does the "friends only" VOIP work? Well? Or do we need Vent?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you play singleplayer stuff, the game only ever displays at 30fps even if your hardware is technically flipping the framebuffer hundreds of times a sec (I'm guessing probably it's launching a local listen server at 30fps only).

Online, it's butter smooth as long as you don't have janky hardware problems like many people have had.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I didn't try the game without installing so I don't know how bad it is on that front, but I had no issues with respect to loading/textures at all last night.

I'll check on the install tonight after work but I think it might have been around the 4-5gig territory.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Some of you that are enjoying the single player must be Gods of gaming. I've tried playing single and co-op and the enemy team just slams my balls in a steel door over and over while friendly bots do anything but be useful. We had the final objective seconds from completion and the operative that was hacking with me disappears, leaving me to get one-shot. The medic, standing right on top of me, tosses a revive to an engy and then both of them run off. The game just makes me feel like it's punishing me for being a human.
    And not being able to form up as a team before looking for a vs match = unacceptable. I really want to enjoy this game, but with how long some matches last, my eyes just glaze over. I'm going to try running as a pure medic and see if I enjoy the game more than playing as a soldier.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    sPider817 wrote: »
    Some of you that are enjoying the single player must be Gods of gaming. I've tried playing single and co-op and the enemy team just slams my balls in a steel door over and over while friendly bots do anything but be useful. We had the final objective seconds from completion and the operative that was hacking with me disappears, leaving me to get one-shot. The medic, standing right on top of me, tosses a revive to an engy and then both of them run off. The game just makes me feel like it's punishing me for being a human.

That challenge is a lot easier once you unlock the heavy body type; choose that + kevlar + an MG... you'll do it easily.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    sPider817 wrote: »

That challenge is a lot easier once you unlock the heavy body type; choose that + kevlar + an MG... you'll do it easily.

I'm not talking about the anal-raping objective challenge, I'm talking the last mission of the game for Security. I try to stay with the group, but they all seem to be lone-wolfing it to secure side-objectives while no one gives a damn about the primary. Of course, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. Should I be trying to cap supply points and leave the bots to finish the primary?

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I had enough trouble with the second Security mission.

It was basically a total crapshoot once it came down to cutting open the safe and stealing the key.

Cutting open the safe was bad enough with the enemies camping that room and the allied bots doing nothing useful, carrying the key back was basically a crapshoot of "Can I kill 3+ people on my way over to the key, and then run it out without running into any opposition"

Took so many tries. And that was on Easy. I can't even imagine doing harder difficulties without human co-op.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    skizzenskizzen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    For those (specifically ATI owners) who are experiencing performance issues, here's something that's worth a try:
    Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\5810931\22350\local\base
    Copy the brinkconfig.cfg file, and rename it autoexec.cfg

Lots of options in here, but I may have found a winning combination that will hopefully benefit your game as much as has mine. Won't make the game super pretty, but it should be much more playable for now.

Delete the contents of your newly renamed autoexec.cfg file, and paste this in there.
    seta image_anisotropy "0"
    seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"
    seta image_lodbias "0"
    seta r_softParticles "0"
    seta r_swapInterval "0"
    seta r_useShadowMaps "0"
    seta r_shadows "0"
    seta r_shadowsHighQuality "0"
    seta r_useHighQualityPostProcess "0"
    seta com_showFPS "1"
    seta r_shaderQuality "2"
    seta r_visDistMult "0.6"
    seta r_useShadowFastParallel "1"
    seta r_softParticles "0"
    seta r_swapInterval "0"
    seta r_useAntiAliasing "0"
    seta r_useMotionBlur "0"
    seta r_useHBAO "0"
    seta r_skipPrePass "0"
    seta r_useDitherMask "0"
    seta r_useAlphaToCoverage "0"
    seta r_shaderPreferALU "1"
    seta r_normalizeNormalMaps "0"
    seta r_shaderSkipSpecCubeMaps "1"
    seta r_skipStuff "1"

//Optional
    seta com_allowConsole "1"
    seta m_smooth "0"
    seta m_rawInput "1"
    seta s_enable_voice "0"
    seta s_enable_mic "0"

Also included are a few extra commands that should improve your mouse movement and turn off VOIP. If you're still having somewhat poor performance, you can also increase your "image_lodbias "0". Higher values will make textures look muddier, but if your graphics card is low on texture memory, it may help (try 1 or 2).

YMMV of course, and if anyone has any additional settings that improve performance, please feel free to share them and or let me know. I'll go ahead and post this in the OP once it's been confirmed that it does help people.

I would like to request that this be carried forward to the next OP, when this game hits Europe this thread will be gone!

skizzen on
This discussion has been closed.